Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   This may sound silly, but... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/may-sound-silly-but-252789/)

Hazzzmomy 05-28-2007 08:10 PM

This may sound silly, but...

Okay...I warned ya! :)

Whenever I go to "sponge" edges with ink, it turns out awful. What kind of sponge does everyone use? I was told to try a make-up wedge, but it's like it makes it too heavy and then creates a pattern instead of just subtle color.

Any tips?

mkgmt 05-28-2007 08:17 PM

I like the makeup wedge, but I kind of hold it by both ends, leaving the middle to sponge with. I also don't use a lot of pressure and try it first on a scrap piece of paper first. I like to start from the outside, partly off the paper first and go inwards. If you don't press too hard and don't use too much ink, you won't see a pattern, just the sponge look.

Hope this makes sense. I have learned by playing with it until I get the look I want.
Melinda

row4d 05-28-2007 08:53 PM

I use the craft sponges sold by SU! (and did so long before I became a demo! ;)) You can cut them into 4-6 wedges to make them easier to use for this technique. I have a whole gallon-size baggie full of them, with the ink color written on the side using a Sharpie.

Mistoffoleese 05-28-2007 09:15 PM

Ditto to what Melinda & Rachel said. Works every time for me. Good luck.

SusieQ4417 05-28-2007 09:38 PM

I've actually just taken the stamp pad itself and rubbed in on the edges, or I've taken the cardstock and rubbed the edges of it on the raised stamp pad. It actually came out pretty good. I've also used Q-tips. Both looked great!

*Alice* 05-28-2007 09:42 PM

I usually do the edges like Rachel wrote. I have also used the pad directly, like Susie.

buzybasket 05-28-2007 10:14 PM

I also use the sponges from SU. I cut mine into 1/4ths (and will have to try 1/6ths now - and write the color on the end.) I have been able to use more than one color for each sponge - just keep each color on a different corner. I tap the sponge on the stamp pad then tap tap tap onto the card stock until I get enough color to my liking. I do an up and down tap as opposed to rubbing. Rubbing gives you a totally different look. Practice on scraps first. Some colors require less tapping. If I want color on the side edge only of the card stock, I stand it up on edge and run that along the top of the stamp pad. If you want something that looks more airy (like sponge painting on walls) use a bit of sea sponge and the up and down tapping. I have drug my card stock on the stamp pad but that gives a different look from a sponging look. You can use your sponge and do a circular motion for yet another look. Again, practice on scraps varying a light to heavy hand to see which look you like best.

greetingsbydebra 05-29-2007 03:07 AM

I use stipple brushes. They give more control than sponges. You can either pounce the ink on or kinda swirl it for a smoother look. I've given up on sponges. Somehow whenever I use them it looks like a 3rd grader did it. Guess I don't have the magic touch!

Heidiens 05-29-2007 05:52 AM

I use the SU sponges. They work great. I cut them up in 1/8's so I have more for the buck.
Heidi

JKinAK 05-29-2007 06:03 AM

I have a question about the SU sponges: can these be washed? I was wondering why you would wright the names of the ink colors used on the sponges, instead of just washing them.

Christina 05-29-2007 06:11 AM

SU Sponges

Yes, the SU sponges can be washed and re-used. They may get stained but there is no more ink in them once you wash them. I do this all the time.

pryor208 05-29-2007 06:17 AM

I like to hold my cardstock piece in one hand and the sponge in the other. Do a little ink at a time, picking up more on the sponge as you need it, and work almost vertically along the edge of the cardstock. Hard to describe, but you hold the cardstock horizontally and brush downward with the sponge. You can change the angle to get more ink inward along the edge of the cardstock. And if you're trying to antique a whole piece of cardstock, it's best not to daub, but better to rub. And remember you can always add more ink.

GwennieJo 05-29-2007 06:58 AM

I'm a big fan of "spouncers" - the little round sponges on the end of a small wooden dowel. You can often find them in the stencilling department. I just tap them on the ink pad and then tap them on the paper - no ink on my fingers. I wash them with water when I'm done and keep one just for black (I wrote "black" on the wooden handle.) Hope this helps :)

-Gwen

Skilo 05-29-2007 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwennieJo (Post 5938289)
I'm a big fan of "spouncers" - the little round sponges on the end of a small wooden dowel. You can often find them in the stencilling department. I just tap them on the ink pad and then tap them on the paper - no ink on my fingers. I wash them with water when I'm done and keep one just for black (I wrote "black" on the wooden handle.) Hope this helps :)

-Gwen

Gonna have to check this out! thanks for sharing~! :)

ShariW 05-29-2007 09:50 AM

I learned sponging in one of the first SU parties I went to almost 10 years ago and my cards look naked without it! I also use the craft sponge, however, I always cut mine into 8 pieces. The sponges wash out really nice - sometimes leave a stain, but that's all it is a stain. One thing that does happen, is that it does start to shed if using on several edges - it sheds the inked edge so you need to be careful that you don't do this over a good piece or over your clothes. I love to do this on the edge of my envelopes both front and flap. Makes a nice and simple finish.