Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matchbox Advent Calendar turn table

I am making a four sided, matchbox, advent calendar similar to this one. I want to put a knob on top and maybe use a dowel or something so the box can be turned. I guess I don't know how to describe this too well because I can't find anything on the internet. If anyone knows what I'm trying to do and can explain it better (or post a tutorial url) that would be great. Matchbox Dresser Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Attached Thumbnails
Matchbox Advent Calendar turn table-matchboxdresser.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

That's adorable! I know what you mean, you explained it well what you want to do. This one would probably be easy to add a square dowel to (they sell these things at Hobby Lobby because I have seen them) and then just put a finial on the top. The only thing I would be wondering about is the base. I have seen the inexpensive round turntables for cabinets (like a spice rack turntable) but haven't seen any small square ones. That might be where you would want to start, finding the right turntable. You also might be able to buy a turntable mechanism to just mount on the bottom of this.

I would cut the dowel to size, paint it and the finial whatever color you want, glue it to the bottom of your base (turntable or cardboard or whatever you are using), then build your advent calendar boxes around the square dowel. They make clear Gorilla Glue and this would be great to use for the dowel and the finial on top.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
That's adorable! I know what you mean, you explained it well what you want to do. This one would probably be easy to add a square dowel to (they sell these things at Hobby Lobby because I have seen them) and then just put a finial on the top. The only thing I would be wondering about is the base. I have seen the inexpensive round turntables for cabinets (like a spice rack turntable) but haven't seen any small square ones. That might be where you would want to start, finding the right turntable. You also might be able to buy a turntable mechanism to just mount on the bottom of this.

I would cut the dowel to size, paint it and the finial whatever color you want, glue it to the bottom of your base (turntable or cardboard or whatever you are using), then build your advent calendar boxes around the square dowel. They make clear Gorilla Glue and this would be great to use for the dowel and the finial on top.
This is exactly where my problem is. I want something that will allow it to turn. I could set the whole thing on a Lazy Susan but I want something built in as part of the calendar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Gotcha! Well you can buy lazy susan turntables to mount to things so that would be the way I would go. Just google lazy susan turntables to find one that might work for you and I am pretty sure you can pick them up at hardware stores, etc.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure I can explain this, and I'm not sure it would work with the design of the dresser, but you could build the calendar boxes around a hollow tube of some sort - even a drinking straw would probably work - and attach a knob to the top of the box/tube assembly. Then take the base of the box and attach a thin dowel/bamboo skewer that is smaller around than the straw. (I'm not guessing how to do this attaching - just that the skewer needs to be attached to the base somehow ) Then, if you set the box/tube assembly on the base so the skewer goes up thru the tube, you'd be able to use the knob at the top to turn it. If you rubbed some wax paper on the bottom of the box assembly and the top of the platform, it would be easier to turn.

This assembly won't be as substantial as attaching a turntable, but it also would be considerably less expensive. It all depends on what you are planning to use your calendar for, and how long you want it to last.
Reply With Quote Likes