Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   Magic Mesh Substitute (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/magic-mesh-substitute-724/)

bree374 05-03-2004 08:42 AM

Magic Mesh Substitute

I received a great tip from my SU! Demonstrator and wanted to share it with you all...

Instead of using Magic Mesh for embellishment on your cards, you can use Dry Wall tape! I comes in various widths, and it's self adheasive. Plus, you can dye it any color with a roll of your brayers! I used it and was very pleased with the results!

juddaca Heater 05-03-2004 09:03 AM

Sounds great. Is it cheaper? Wish I had known this before Regionals! I made the cool summer card on Stampers' Showcase w/ the flip flops from A Little Love (but it was just passed SAB when I went so I used flip flops from On the Beach). I ran out of mesh; had to go to a to another city to get mesh; wasted time looking at 2 other stores first; had to buy 2 rolls at a very premium price....Thanks for sharing = very ingenious solution!

stampingsinger 05-03-2004 09:13 AM

Magic Mesh Substitute

Thanks for the tip!
I have used drywall tape before, but didn't know about coloring it with a brayer.
I have also taken white or cream color yarns and colored them with ink pads for fibers. I've been thinking about using re-inkers also, but haven't had the chance to try it.

bree374 05-03-2004 10:28 AM

Magic Mesh Substitute

I think I got 250ft of mesh tape for $7. I think it was substantially cheaper than magic mesh!!!!

silvermo 05-03-2004 10:49 AM

My husband is a drywaller... so he gave me a whole roll of the stuff.... it works great.... and I've dyed it with the brayer also.... works like a dream. I also put it over vellum and used the brayer, and got a really cute little check pattern with the vellum dyed too! :D

TSES811 05-04-2004 02:45 AM

Wow! What a wonderful idea! If my husband doesn't have any (which would be hard to believe if you seen his work space :lol: ) I plan on going out and getting some. I love using the mesh with my new Fishy Friends stamps and the drywall tape would be way cheaper! Thanks for posting the info!

kimorr 05-14-2004 05:54 AM

Is your tape sticky on both sides? I got some, but it seems pretty sticky to work with.

ALF120573 05-14-2004 06:31 AM

Is the dry wall tape safe to use in a scrapbook??? Do you use the sponge brayer to make it different colors? Can you use dye ink or pigment ink? This sounds like a great idea & I'm soooo eager to try it out!

silvermo 05-14-2004 07:50 AM

I used the sponge brayer to dye it. Not sure if my last post was clear to everyone.... you put the mesh over the vellum and use the sponge brayer with dye ink on it. Then when you lift up the mesh, use have a cute coloured check pattern on your vellum. :lol:

TaraB1013 05-16-2004 11:25 AM

Dry wall tape

After reading the post about using dry wall tape as a substitute for magic mesh, I ran out to the hardware store, BUT.....

When I ink up the tape, the ink doesn't dry and rubs off, and I used a brayer :( I also tried it on the vellum, and since the tape is raised off the paper, the ink never gets to the vellum. What am I doing wrong? I'm mor interested in how to get the ink to not rub off the tape????

Thanks!

mamie114 10-18-2004 08:17 AM

My demo was just telling me about this technique, but also had a stickiness problem, does anyone have a solution to that?

love6kids 10-18-2004 08:34 AM

HMMM...I have a roll of drywall tape that I purchased at Home Depot. It has self adhesive on just one side, and it works great! 3.99 for 300 yards! It's huge! I think I will be leaving it to my children after I have used it my whole life!
Anyway, it is identical to the SU Magic Mesh. I can't tell any difference at all.
Now, we just have to convince Home Depot to manufacture their drywall tape in 48 colors plus metallics!

gerrier2 10-18-2004 10:53 AM

it is safe for scrapbooks

drywall tape is safe for scrapbooks.
You can also sprinkle some embossing powder on it and heat set to give
it a lift.

amyboomboom 10-18-2004 11:19 AM

I bought some too, but it is sticky on both sides like others have noted. Does anyone hav advise about this?

It would stick to any enbvelope if I put it in one.

Help please!

HoosierGirl 10-18-2004 05:44 PM

I like the brayer tip! I sponged ink on the drywall tape but the ink rubbed off.

skeller 10-18-2004 06:29 PM

substitutes

I have a few bunches of rug yarn that i use you can get it in about any color. And I don't know if it was from her or some other forum but I found a list of embroidery threds that has the numbers for the colors to match all 48 SU colors. I thought that was a pretty neat ideal but haven't got any yet.
Sandy