Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default luna lights

Has anyone used the luna lights? I bought some at a craftstore it looked interesting but that was months ago and forgot how to use it. Help. Ellena
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I used them when they first came out some years ago. They're beautiful colors - very shimmery. They're very thin compared to Lumiere, and they can be a little transparent. They look great on both light and dark - even gold and silver glossy. I didn't like the luna papers, but have used them on lots of other media. Glossy, of course is the absolute best - any kind of glossy. I even tried it on shrink plastic. It kind of bubbled up, but was dry and created a very unique texture. StampOasis.com (the creators of luna lights) has a tutorial on their site. It's not very extensive, but definitely gives you an idea on how to use them.
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Thankyou. I will starting experimenting. Ellena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Luna Lights Paints

I don't know if you found the info you were looking for but I ran across this and Tyra really give a lot of detail about the Luna Light Paints. There is a link below to see more from Tyra.

Ha, just before I hit submit I noticed what the original date was for your question so I guess you found the info you were looking for. I'm still submitting this in case someone else might be looking for this info because it took me a long time to find your thread.

Luna Lights Paints
Author: Tyra L. Smith

I bought a set of the Luna Lights paints and the Luna Light paper. It sounded like such a neat product and I am a self confessed paint junkie...so I bought it. Please note that the information contained in this review is based on MY observations while working with the product.

Technically, this product is being called "Luna Lights Ink" by the manufacturer. Stamp Oasis is the manufacturer of the Luna Lights Ink and the "special" Luna Lights Paper. The intended/original concept for this product and paper seems to be to create beautiful marbled-like backgrounds. Luna Lights Ink come in 7 colors: Gold, Silver, Blue, Magenta, Purple, Teal and Yellow.

Luna Lights Ink retail for $5 for each two once jar and the Luna Lights Paper is packaged 10 sheets (9x12 inches) to a package and retails for $4.50 per 10 sheet package. (All this information was acquired from the manufacturer's web site. Individual vendors may have different prices based on discounts.)

According to the manufacturer, you apply several drops of various colors on the special paper, put another sheet of the special paper on top, then smoosh the paints/inks with your fingers to blend. Pull the sheets apart and you have two sheets of background paper. On the web site for the manufacturer, it DOES say..."Do not use with white glossy paper. Use our Luna Paper instead".

I did exactly what the manufacturer said and created some lovely simple background pieces. It works just like they said.

PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS:

First off, let's talk about the "special Luna Lights Paper". I took out the first sheet of it from the package and thought to myself..."Self...you know I've seen this paper before". It's matte white on one side....sort of white glossy'ish on the other...fairly thin....what could it be?" So I went scavenging thru my kitchen and lo and behold what did I find? I found some "paper" which, to my "untrained" eye...looked exactly like the Luna Paper, only a tad bit thicker. (not thicker enough to make a difference really) Guess what it was? FREEZER PAPER

Yep...you got it....plain old kitchen freezer paper. OK, so now I'm thinking to myself...sure it LOOKS the same, but will it WORK the same as the Luna Lights paper? Only one way to find out...

For all intents and purposes, I saw NO appreciable difference in either the usage or final outcome between the Luna Lights paper and the Freezer paper. They BOTH worked the same and they BOTH ended up looking the same.

Now I get to looking at the Luna Lights Inks themselves, trying to see the "difference" between all the other little jars of paints I have. (and I have a significant collection of paints and inks to compare with)

The Luna Lights Inks are fairly thin, some are shimmery (pearlescent tinting medium maybe?), some aren't. They really APPEAR to be extremely similar to several other "thin acrylic paints" which I have on hand already. I found really only TWO minor differences.

1. Luna Lights has a few colors of their "inks"...which seem to have some type of interference color in them. For instance, the "purple" color seems to have a bit of a "red sheen" to it which is seen as you turn the jar side to side in the light. That's interference colors, or at least that's how MY interference colors look when mixed with other paints. hmmm. Ok....

2. While the Luna Lights inks act similarly to other thin acrylic paints I have....for all the research I've done (looking over the manufacturers web site and also reading the promotional materials I got with the paints)...there is NOTHING said about this paint being either permanent, or permanent when heat set. Hmmm. So as far as permanency goes, I have no clue.

I painted, splattered, sponged ,etc...with the Luna Lights Ink and found them to be satisfactory for this purpose. The Teal color is exquisite. I did make the marbled backgrounds and first used an acrylic brayer to "smooth/blend" the inks between the two sheets of Luna paper. This resulted in a very blended array of color. I repeated this and used only my fingers to "smooth/blend" the inks between the two sheets of luna paper and got a slightly different look. You can create different textures within the ink on the paper depending on how you pull the two sheets apart. Pull from top to bottom, or from side to side. Also, when pulling them apart, you can sort of "squiggle" the paper back and forth quickly as you pull apart for even a different look. The inks have an extended wet time, which is due mostly to the paper. Because there is a slight coating on one side, you put the inks on the "glossy/coated" side and work from there. This extends your wet time because that glossy surface does not absorb the inks as quickly as would either matte or glossy cardstock. (glossy cardstock will absorb paints to a certain degree, though they do absorb much more quickly than the Luna Paper/freezer paper)

As far as painting and sponging goes, the Luna Lights inks worked pretty much the same as my other paint products. One key thing to remember when making those smooshed backgrounds is do NOT be stingy with the paint. Which made me think..as I was doing this..."Goodness, I seem to be going thru quite a bit of paint", which made me cringe a bit when thinking of the price of the Luna Lights Ink...$5 per each two ounce jar.

Was I able to make any of my other "paints" in my collection work and look like the Luna Lights inks? Yes, I was. In MY opinion, for all intents and purposes, the Luna Lights Inks were ALMOST identical to other acrylic paints I had on hand. Using the same smooshed background technique suggested by the manufacturer, I was able to get the following paints to look extremely similar to the Luna Lights ink backgrounds:

Lumiere Acrylic Paints
Dr. Martin's Iridescent Calligraphy Colors
Dr. Martin's Ready Tex Paint

For some of my "matte" colors of acrylic paints, I simply mixed in powdered pigments and/or pearlescent tinting medium to create a similar look to the Luna Lights Ink. If my paint was a bit thick, I added water and thinned it down. The end result, was that I was able to recreate the look and feel of Luna Lights Inks with other products I had on hand. The KEY to this technique is NOT the ink or the paint necessarily...it is the paper (which you probably have sitting in your kitchen).

http://netnet.net/~cloud9/prod_revie...na_lights

Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game
The following users liked this post:
shellpole (06-03-2022)
Old 01-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used Luna Lights today on this card:

FS49 Luna Lights Hibiscus by Jeanne S at Splitcoaststampers

Mine came from www.rubbernecker.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Heart Luna Lights

I know that I'm way late trying Luna Lights, but I was just given a full set of colours and will try them out. Thank you to Adrian for posting the info on them.............ten years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

As I am packing to move i came across my Luna Lights paints, Trying to decide if I was going to keep or toss I started to see what information I could find about the paints. I found this information. thank you Adrian!
I did not use them much when they were new but after reading this I have decided to see what I can do by playing around with different papers.
Reply With Quote Likes