Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you seal Encore ink?

I'm sure there must be a post on this somewhere, but I can't find it. I have 50 wedding invitations laying all over my stamping room all stamped beautifully with silver encore ink. If I pick one up the wrong way, it smudges. HELP! Does anyone know a good sealer that won't leave spots or anything on the paper and still seal the encore ink?

THANKS!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Jen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenH31View Post
I'm sure there must be a post on this somewhere, but I can't find it. I have 50 wedding invitations laying all over my stamping room all stamped beautifully with silver encore ink. If I pick one up the wrong way, it smudges. HELP! Does anyone know a good sealer that won't leave spots or anything on the paper and still seal the encore ink?

THANKS!
did you use glossy paper? Encore will never dry on glossy cardstock but it should dry on matte finish cardstock. If nothing else, the only thing I can think of it that if it doesn't dry you could dump clear embossing powder on it and emboss it but that certainly wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world. I have used a clear acrylic sprya sealer (Krylon) on regular cardstock and it doesn't spot but I'm not sure if it would seal the Encore. You could stamp on a piece of the same scrap paper and try it to find out. Good luck! Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks. I did not stamp on glossy, just plain whisper white. I did try an acrylic spray and it didn't leave a ring or anything. I thought about trying hairspray as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I really love the Encore ink colors, but I hate the fact that they are hard to set. The only thing I've ever found that works for Encore ink is to heat set them. Otherwise they don't ever seem to dry. I sure hope someone else has a better idea for you! JIL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I no longer use Encore ink for this very reason - I had stamped on white cardstock, and even after heat setting I was still getting transfer onto my hand. Threw the piece in with my scraps (figured I could use the back of it, right?) and when I pulled it out a couple weeks later it STILL was smearing. Ugh. That being said, I guess I'd recommend clear embossing powder. I know it's an extra step (not to mention a time consuming process) but not sure if anything else will complete seal it. Oh, maybe you could test one out with a matte fixatif? (I personally use the Krylon brand, purchased at a chain store with a coupon - found in the paint/art supply aisle).

For future projects, I highly recommend Brilliance ink
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Encore has GORGEOUS colors and the ONLY way to "dry" them is to emboss...they NEVER dry regardless of what the package says...Colorbox gives me the SAME problem...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #7  
Linking Queen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ITA that the only way to set Encore ink is to clear emboss it. I had a fairly small piece of matte cardstock that I stamped with gold Encore, heat set and placed in my boiler room for aweek that still smudged when handled.

Sorry there isn't an easier solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

You never said if you tried to heat set it.....I would at least try that before going to the EP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Default Even After Years.......ugh

I did a beautiful four page layout using the Encore metallic inks. It was an incredible page, if I do say so myself. I did it back when Encore had just come out with their first colored metallics (the blue, green, pink, etc.). I still love the looks. I managed to get them in the page protectors without smearing (that is amazing to me, because I wasn't aware at the time the ink did not dry completely, I must have just been lucky not to touch where I stamped). But a year or so later, I was thinking I wanted to move one of the pages to correct some journaling and the ink started to smear on the protector, meaning that after a year, it was not dry. I quickly and carefully put the page back in the protector and just left the journaling less than perfect. LOL I got rid of those pads right then and there. Love the idea of colored metallics but until technology and cost effectiveness catch up.........

In the mean time, I'd try the Krylon to seal the ink. I bet it seals the Encore just fine but you will have to take all those cards outside to spray since the fumes will be bad.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I have had no problems at all. I used an Acrylic Sealer/Finisher (Americana brand) and sprayed after stamping and no smudging at all. I just go into my garage and give it a quick spray and it's done. I was able to assemble my card right away.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Sealing Encore Metallic Inks

I just rubbed babypowder or one of those little bags that SU sells of powder you are supposed to use before using embossing ink and powder to prevent static cling. They work like a charm over the Encore Inks, are much faster, and don't leave a heavy smell (cheaper, too.) Really helps a lot!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Encore inks are designed to be heat set, either with or without embossing powder.The other option that might work is blotting paper? try one print by placing blotting paper on top and brayering over it, or possibly pressing with an iron might work too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Not much help since your cards are already made, bujt ---- I saw silver and gold ink pads like the white staz-on at HL last week. (Don't remember what they were called because I don't need them aat the moment) They are packaged with the reinker and are priced at around $15. I made a mental note about the basic idea and moved on down the aisle to the embossing powders I was looking for. They are a dye ink so may be the answer to the gold and silvers that we don't emboss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeJinxView Post
Not much help since your cards are already made, bujt ---- I saw silver and gold ink pads like the white staz-on at HL last week. (Don't remember what they were called because I don't need them aat the moment) They are packaged with the reinker and are priced at around $15. I made a mental note about the basic idea and moved on down the aisle to the embossing powders I was looking for. They are a dye ink so may be the answer to the gold and silvers that we don't emboss.
These are actually Staz-on, and quite new, so yes they will be an option for non-heat embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my Encore inks. If you're having problems w/ them not setting, I would almost bet it's your paper. I use them mostly on Georgia Pacific c/s or c/s from Michael's because I know it won't have any coating. A lot of the heavier, more expensive papers do have some sort of coating, even if you can't see it. A lot of times, the additives papermakers use to get the nice finish, will not allow some pigment/metallic inks to absorb into the paper. Even on the non coated stuff, I still heat set.
Facebook|Pinterest|Instagram
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni,Featured StamperHostess & Inspiration Challenge Hostess
I design for:
DRS Designs
Rubbernecker Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes