Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2016, 05:39 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 400 Likes on 366 Posts
Question Homemade Glimmer Mists Clogging

I have watched a lot of tutorials on making Glimmer mists. The easiest being metallic craft paint mixed with alcohol. When first made it worked beautifully! I LOVED the shimmer! Then a couple weeks later I couldn't get the pump to press down. Took it apart, cleaned it with very hot water and I was able to pump water out of it so I put it back into the bottle and....NOPE it won't pump. Thought it was because of Dollar Tree pump bottles so I bought some from Targets travel size bins and transfered all my mists into them. Worked great. Thought problem was solved but after a while the same problem occured. Has anyone else have this problem?? Any solutions out there? I don't have any perfect pearls (never use them) to try that and if I have to buy perfect pearls just to have glimmer spray I might as well just buy Glimmer Mistl Would love to hear some ideas!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 106 Likes on 33 Posts

What percentage alcohol are you using? Originally it seemed the higher percentage was recommended and that's what I did- but eventually sprayers got clogged and the paint just got all gummed up. I've switched to the regular isopropyl - like 70% rather than 90%. That worked for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I used the 70% because that's what Dollar Tree sells. Maybe my paint to alcohol ratio is off?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you finish misting, try turning the bottles upside down and spraying until nothing else comes out. That should clean out the tubes and nozzle. I've been doing some painting and someone recommended soaking hard brushes in Murphy's oil soap. It really does work, and may loosen any clogs in your sprayers too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I was about to recommend what Buried Treasures has said. Someone who's art journalling videos I watch recommended this, and said they've never had a clogged sprayer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2016, 04:53 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Same problem, HobbySue, although it seems my online recipe of Perfect Pearls and water differs from yours. First day, no problem, but that's the end of it. No amount of "resuscitation" is successful.
Would appreciate anyone's favorite formula of alcohol-based glimmer sprays that don't clog up the works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2016, 05:58 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crlflView Post
Same problem, HobbySue, although it seems my online recipe of Perfect Pearls and water differs from yours. First day, no problem, but that's the end of it. No amount of "resuscitation" is successful.
Would appreciate anyone's favorite formula of alcohol-based glimmer sprays that don't clog up the works.
After reading the problems you all have had with the DIY shimmer, I'm wondering when my sprayers will clog.
Mine are many months old right now and still spraying as of 2 days ago. One bottle is made using 90% alcohol and perfect pearls powder (approx 1/8 teaspoon powder in 4 oz liquid), the other is made with reverse osmosis water and perfect pearls. (I used RO water because we have really hard water).

There is one thing I am doing that none have you have mentioned. I added a small Quartz nugget as a shaker to make it easier/quicker to get the perfect pearls to remix with the liquid when I wanted to spray something.

The quartz nugget is nothing fancy, it's just a discard off an inexpensive strand of stone nuggets used for making jewelry. I chose a clear smooth one because the colored Quartz nuggets are dyed and I didn't want the dye to come out in my spray solution.

I have not had any issues with clogging after I added the stone shaker, but perhaps it's just a matter of time...however, thinking back on it, I have refilled the same container at least once with the water and PP, so it has been several months that I have doing it this way.

An added comment on the Perfect Pearls. I found the pearl PP on Amazon for $1.72 a container and ordered a couple just to have on hand. I thought this was really a good price considering a small container has enough to make at least 5 or more 4 oz batches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you, Boss, for providing the formulas you use to make pearlized mists. They appear to be the same whether the base is alcohol or water, mixed in the same proportions I used initially. My Mixers were several #6 clear glass E-beads. Great Minds, TY!

Logic then leads to the conclusion that clogging must be caused by anything left in the sprayer head which sets up harder than a rock. No amount of soaking or needle-reaming can dislodge it! Having previously ruined both a $Store and Ranger Mister, I will offer up a mini-mister to try this process one last time using all the hints so graciously shared here. This has gotten Personal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by crlflView Post
Thank you, Boss, for providing the formulas you use to make pearlized mists. They appear to be the same whether the base is alcohol or water, mixed in the same proportions I used initially. My Mixers were several #6 clear glass E-beads. Great Minds, TY!

Logic then leads to the conclusion that clogging must be caused by anything left in the sprayer head which sets up harder than a rock. No amount of soaking or needle-reaming can dislodge it! Having previously ruined both a $Store and Ranger Mister, I will offer up a mini-mister to try this process one last time using all the hints so graciously shared here. This has gotten Personal!
I too am going to try 1 last time using the hints posted. I love making my own because the color combos are endless. I won't make any for another week or two that way i give this post a bit more time for hints. Thank you everyone! And a huge thank you to SCS for including this in their weekly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI, the sprayer I am using is a recycled sprayer container from a facial toner I use. The toner has a glass bottle base and a nice fine mist sprayer, so I decided it was too good to just toss out.

Perhaps instead of purchasing a new spray bottle, you might shop your closets and see what's hanging around being under utilized. Maybe something in a great spray bottle is never going to be used, and it could be repurposed for this. l I'm just sayin'....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem, especially after watching so many videos and following all the different ingredients. They start out great, but then, nothing, and the sprayer is ruined, no matter what I do. I'm going to try again with the mixer bead and the upside down clean out. Thanks All.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I do not have a problem with any of my sprays clogging, but I do one thing that none of you have mentioned. And you may not like it. I didn't at first, but I've gotten used to it.

Any time I spray: I keep two open spray bottles (the nozzles bit the dust a long time ago), one filled with warm water, the other filled with Dawn and warm water, at my sink. After I use ANY of my sprays, I take it to my sink, remove the nozzle, spray it onto some scrap to catch the rest, then put the nozzle into the Dawn bottle, spray a bunch into the sink, then put the nozzle into the water bottle, spray a bunch. Then, replace the nozzle and put away.

In other words, I clean my nozzles right after use. Someone who knows told me a long time ago that is the ONLY way to prevent clogs. Like I said, it is UGH at first, but you can get used to it.
My Paper Paisleys Art Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Makes a lot of sense and wouldn't be such a chore if you did your stamp clean-up along with it. Thanks for your hint!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2016, 02:13 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am wondering if it's the paint causing the clogging. I have seen recipes for ink and alcohol and perfect pearls / eyeshadow. Not acrylic paint. I wonder if the ink would hold up better. Also I have several glimmer mists but unfortunately they are collecting dust and not being used yet. This summer I will start using them....

Also I add a small metallic bead to all these bottles. They have a hole for stringing and I get from Joan's or hobby lobby. They are cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 16 Posts

I gave up on mists homemade and purchased because of the constant clogging. I put all my mists in dauber bottles and now I use them more often. If just have to use a spray, I keep a couple mini misters that I'll fill for a one time use and wash out for the next use. I find using a toothbrush to make a spray is good enough for most things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 05:45 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

stamphappy1650, you are a genius! I love the idea of using a toothbrush instead of a mister. I'm so tired of spending an hour trying to unclog a mister and ending up throwing it away with noting done on my project. TFS
Reply With Quote Likes