Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   gamsol technique question (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/gamsol-technique-question-236086/)

Scrappin' Happy 03-27-2007 05:51 PM

gamsol technique question

Can I use the metallic art pencils or the pure color pencils that SU has? They are wax pencils right? I've been a demo for a few years and have never even used them in a workshop...wasn't sure really what to do with them. I thought I'd try OMS with them but wanted to ask if it would work first. Thanks! Kim

Joelyn 03-28-2007 05:46 AM

I don't have the metallic pencils yet, but hope to buy in the future. I have prisma watercolor pencils and use gamsol or floor wax for blending using a paper stump for blending. I also have the SU pencils but haven't tried them yet. Not much help I guess.

Penascodragonfly 03-28-2007 06:37 AM

I use my prismacolor metallics with gamasol and they work fine for me. I don't have any of the SU pencils.

Scrappin' Happy 03-28-2007 04:52 PM

I'm fixing to try our SU! pencils and I'll let yall know how it works.

My husband is going to let me buy the big pack of the prisms at Mike's!!! YIPPEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penascodragonfly 03-28-2007 05:04 PM

I love mine. Get your good pencil sharpener out! Your gonna love em!:-D

Miabel 03-28-2007 05:04 PM

Just an FYI, I just bid and won some Prismacolor colored pencils on Ebay for 40 dollars. It's a set of 72, premier and brand new.

Scrappin' Happy 03-28-2007 05:28 PM

Congratulations on the Ebay win!!!

I tried the Pure Color and the Metallic Art ones. The Pure Color did pull the color but the Metallic Art ones were gorgeous!! I really can't wait to get the prismas now.

Anyway...thanks for the responses! I have to go color some more.

stamps&cars 03-28-2007 10:41 PM

The gamsol 'melts' and moves the wax and thus the color. If the metallics have wax it should work. I'll have to give that a try!

MillieKate 03-30-2007 08:03 PM

Could someone please explain to me what gamsol is and how you use it? Do you use it only with the prisma pencils or the SU pencils? Guess I am just a rookie on this subject, but it sure sound fun!

Penascodragonfly 03-30-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miabel
Just an FYI, I just bid and won some Prismacolor colored pencils on Ebay for 40 dollars. It's a set of 72, premier and brand new.

You will love em and you got a terrific deal to boot! Congrats.:D

Penascodragonfly 03-30-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillieKate
Could someone please explain to me what gamsol is and how you use it? Do you use it only with the prisma pencils or the SU pencils? Guess I am just a rookie on this subject, but it sure sound fun!

you can find many threads about gamsol. I would send you the link, but I don't know how. I know you can use this search box.

sharonstamps 03-31-2007 03:58 AM

gamasol..

Gamasol is actually 'odorless mineral spirits'.. frequently found in the art department of the craft stores. Here in Florida, it is frequently "mona lisa" brand. Read the ingredients, you are looking for odorless mineral spirits.

Scrappin' Happy 03-31-2007 06:45 PM

The Mona Lisa brand says odorless paint thinner on the front of the bottle. After I read some thread here on SCS, I turned the bottle around and found it was what I was looking for. Miine was at Michaels too.

kaenasmommy 03-31-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelyn
I don't have the metallic pencils yet, but hope to buy in the future. I have prisma watercolor pencils and use gamsol or floor wax for blending using a paper stump for blending. I also have the SU pencils but haven't tried them yet. Not much help I guess.

you use gamsol or floorwax with watercolor pencils? just wondering why since they blend with water?

Scrappin' Happy 04-01-2007 05:49 PM

nope...it's the wax pencils like SU! metallic art pencils or the prismacolors. It's really pretty.

stamps&cars 08-10-2007 06:36 PM

I have a stump share in bulk buy forum for any who is interested.