Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   FLopped ideas (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/flopped-ideas-10937/)

Furph's wife 09-30-2004 12:12 PM

FLopped ideas

So what great ideas have you gotten and thought "oh I can do that" just to have them flop? What or how did you fix it to make it work?

My newest bright idea: I saw one of those drop ceiling tiles at Jazzercize used for a tac board to put notes and things on. All it had was black letters going down the side saying Jazzercise. SO my idea was I can do that with the stamps and make it looke really neat. Get this that afternoone we went to a craft festival and those things were everywhere. SO I took some ideas in my brain went to Home Depot then Lowes. Sunday afternoon I was ready to roll and make these things I get stamping with the ROses in Winter and the Tea time sets. I stamp them on and they stamped on ok, but the ridges and the pattern in the tiles made it look yucky. I am thinking I might just paint on them instead.

SO have you had any bright ideas that just sunk?

StarLitStudio 09-30-2004 12:20 PM

Stinky ideas (no offense skunky!):

1. Using pearl ex with a head cold. Baaaaad idea (sneezing).

2. Trying to use superglue when really tired.

3. Trying to stamp while under the influence of Percocet (I had a tubal for crying out loud!). NOTHING you do is straight or aligned.

Ok, Ok, I know these are not the answers you wanted. Here's more:

Painting, then tons of time stamping an old wood desk (bought at an auction for $1.00) that had graffitti in blue sharpie marker (good, ole'fashioned swear words too!) without sealing it first.

The swear words popped right through the acrylic paint. :cry:

I sanded it all down and started over. It looks great now. But then anything without swear words written on it looks good. 8)

camsmom 09-30-2004 12:28 PM

Quote:

good, ole'fashioned swear words too
Well, at least they weren't those new fangled swear words-those can be a pain (hahahahahaha) okay, sorry, I couldn't resist!

Lconklin 09-30-2004 12:48 PM

Okay, mine is... beyond a doubt, soot stamping. Couldn't, for the life of me get that puppy to work! I either scorched the paper, or singed it, or something, but none ever turned out the way I've seen them done.

lauren~

sml1170 09-30-2004 01:01 PM

I have tiles, stazon and sharpies. Oh, and sealer. I have read all the instrutions on this site. For the life of me, I cannot do a nice tile magnet or coaster. But, hey at least I have the stuff!

Stacy

NancyJ 09-30-2004 01:02 PM

What a timely topic! Last night and this afternoon, I tried many times to copy a card I saw here on SCS. The beautiful one by JulieHRR with the clear beads over a stamped image. No way! The edges became raggedy and the beads wouldn't stay on even though I used the Xyron permanent. This was planned as my Mother's birthday card and I ended up having to make a different, hurried card and my heart just wasn't in it.

Catie 09-30-2004 02:37 PM

Last night I was stamping late. I got tired and thought "Oh I'll just put this stuff away in the morning". I have a son. Who can guess what happened?

That's right! I have to redo 7 swaps. But I think the ones that he wrote on are going to make hilarious Christmas cards...
Catie

JanTInk 09-30-2004 03:41 PM

He didn't write any of those new fangled swear words, did he? :lol:

I've got a bunch of failed stuff, 'cause you aren't stamping if you aren't failing at least part of the time:

Using a woodgraining tool meant for faux finishing. Haven't gotten it to work with any of the mediums I've tried, but I'm not done yet!!! Dang it!

Ditto with a combing tool. It's made of rubber, it must do something!!! I think maybe the craft inks...hmmm.....

Certain glossy papers that don't work well with Marvy Metallics Pens. The metallic dries fast on the wrong paper and you can't do those cool effects by sandwiching two glossy sheets face to face then wiggling them as you pull them apart. Tres cool...with the right paper. With the wrong paper they just stick fast together and tear when you try to pull them apart...sigh. Black glossy is really cool with those pens, but if you buy the wrong kind it just doesn't work.

I'm sure there is more that I could come up with if I went through my boo boo box, but it would just make me cry, so I am not going to, so there!

melissaparrish 09-30-2004 04:01 PM

I saw a technique to create faux tortoiseshell on wood using paints and acetone...Well, Ms. Stamper here figured I'd just do it on paper with ink instead of paint. Used a Krylon pen instead of gold ink and a mish-mash of earthtoned classic ink. When I spritzed the acetone on top of the layers I'd painstakingly put on the paper, I ended up acetone drippings the color of mud all over the table (I always work on glass, as I am a sloppy worker!)...and a gray paper with gold scribbles all over it. It was the middle of the night, so I wasn't thinking about the fact that Krylon is not "blendable"...and "HELLO"....classic ink just bleeds all over when you saturate it. Boy did I feel stupid! :oops:
P.S. I'm still going to do the tortoiseshell on WOOD...I'm sure it'll turn out much better than my inky disaster.

Furph's wife 10-01-2004 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
Quote:

good, ole'fashioned swear words too
Well, at least they weren't those new fangled swear words-those can be a pain (hahahahahaha) okay, sorry, I couldn't resist!

Roflol!

Kymbers_Stampin 10-01-2004 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarLitStudio
Painting, then tons of time stamping an old wood desk (bought at an auction for $1.00) that had graffitti in blue sharpie marker (good, ole'fashioned swear words too!) without sealing it first.

The swear words popped right through the acrylic paint. :cry:

I sanded it all down and started over. It looks great now. But then anything without swear words written on it looks good. 8)

Had this happen. My daughter inherited my brother's dresser. One day my SIL painted the thing beautifully. We loved it. All of the sudden we noticed on one of the drawers the word RICH was coming through the paint. It's still there as a reminder of where it came.

My big flop is Lumiere. I tried it on tiles, dominos, game pieces, all of which are now residing in the trash can. I cannot find a decent use for that stuff for the life of me.

XcessStamps 10-01-2004 08:38 AM

Mine is spinner cards! I see how many of you have made them; but I could not get mine to spin for the world. All they did was slide. I made great slidder cards. :lol: