Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2005, 06:48 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Technique Impaired

I fear I am suffering from a chronic case of technique-itis. I cannot successfully complete most of the techniques I see on this board. I print out the directions carefully and follow them!! My waterfall card doesnt' "fall" -- oxi clean -- big mess, poppin pastels -- big mess. Is anyone else like this??? Watercolor crayons -- big watery mess or too dry (although the blender pen works great for coloring in designs!).

Is it just me or is there at least one other person out there who has this disease???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 07:34 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sooo with you! I like the look of many techniques, but when I have time to stamp, I want to do something with the least amount of prep work, clean up, and mess possible! As for fancy fold/mechanical cards? I thought I was the only person who couldn't (and won't) do waterfall cards. Spinner cards? Not here!

I do love watercoloring, though. Very relaxing for me!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

tee hee! I bought Oxi Clean to try that technique but so far all I've done is dump it in the washmachine! Since I tend to stamp on top of it, I guess that's appropriate...sigh.

I often buy the ingredients to try something fancy and then just don't do it. And when I do, I'm like you! My shaving cream technique came out more like marbled paper! ;o)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks! I feel better (slightly) LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 09:48 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Maybe you just need a personal, upclose look at a technique to get it. I had that with the waterfall card. It's one of those things that written instructions just doesn't work for. I guess I'm a visual person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 09:48 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

It is always much easier for me to "get" the techniques when someone who knows how to do them shows me, rather than trying to figure out the directions myself. It usually takes me a few tries to get results i am satisfied with - but once I figure it out, it is usually really worth it! Keep trying! And if possible connect with people who do "get it" and have them show you instead of trying to rely on the pictures and instructions -- my "aha" moments come much more quickly this way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 06:51 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

{{{{{{{{{{{Joan}}}}}}}}}}}}

I had to LOL! at this--not at you, mind you! At myself! When I was first starting out as a stamper I tried EVERYTHING, bought all kinds of stuff, spent 2 hours to perfect a card. That was 10 years ago (Started stamping 12 years ago, got brave 10 years ago).

Got lazy and impatient about 6 years ago. LOL! I still research them, read about them, learn what I can, but actually *do* 'em any more????? Nope! Not if the card will take more than 10-15 min. max to complete if I drag out all that stuff. I'm a VERY instant-gratification chick . . .

Now, I don't even fire up the embossing gun, if I can help it!!! :rolleyes:

But, I sure do admire others that are willing to put forth the effort--it sure is wonderful eye candy and I do appreciate being able to gaze upon the beautiful things they create . . .

I think as long as you are ENJOYING the process, keep experimenting with those techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 11:12 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Update. A wonderful SCSer -- Somall -- pm'd me and gave me clearer instructions and now my water is falling!! Yeah! Still a lot of work to make the card, but I think I'd like to make a few for some special folks. By the way, you have to check out Somall's gallery. Outstanding!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2005, 08:24 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I fear I am suffering from a chronic case of technique-itis. I cannot successfully complete most of the techniques I see on this board. I print out the directions carefully and follow them!! My waterfall card doesnt' "fall" --
Is it just me or is there at least one other person out there who has this disease???
Don't feel so bad. I consider myself pretty good at figuring things out from a picture or reading/writing directions and it took me THREE nights to figure out the Waterfall card.

I think that one especially is one that is easier to learn in person.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2005, 08:51 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm OK with the coloring and cutting/folding techniques. But my downfall is ANY kind of background technique. Does it involve a brayer? Drops of reinker on paper? I've absolutely given up. I can't get them to look as good as other folks do. And my stamping time is too limited to just make things and throw them away...

Reply With Quote Likes