Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2004, 11:24 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paper mache boxes--help!!!

Does anyone have any advise or tips for decorating/stamping these types of boxes? I have bought some but am stuck as to how to procede. Please help!!

TIA, Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2004, 03:22 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

what about painting them with acrylic paints and then stamping them...like you do the terra cotta pots

you could also do a background technique on them after painting them...like the saran wrap technique or something

edited to add this gallery link:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2004, 03:26 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have done these but it's been a while...I think I painted with acrylic paints and then stamped on tissue paper and decoupaged that on. Then added some glitter.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2004, 03:44 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

When you decopague with tissure paper do you put a layer of modge podge? on the box and then another layer on top of the tissure paper? Is it the Modge Podge that you use or something else? This is a new adventure for me thus all the questions! Thanks for the replies so far. Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2004, 03:59 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done several of these boxes and each time I do them differently. The last ones I did, I did not base coat the box. I used daubers and sponged color on them. I used first classic pads and then I did an overlay of a metallic pigment ink. It took a little time to dry or you can use your heat gun to speed up the process. I then stamped on them with stazon. Once I got the stamp design the way I wanted it, I went back with a little more matellic color in all the places that I wanted to emphasize.

I let the boxes dry for two days - I'm not sure that was necessary or not but that was when I could first get back to them. I then brushed on Future Floor wax for a finish.

They turned out wonderful - at least that is the response I got from the ladies that I gave them too. Sorry, I gave them all away and I don't have one to upload - story of my life !

You can add more glitz if you would like, but my boxes were small and I didn't want to make them to hard to handle. The matellic inck gave it just enough pizazz and these boxes had a metal filigree top. Enough glitz (got them at JoAnns).

Hope this helps.

Stef -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 12:06 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Paper Mache Boxes

I paint a lot of paper mache tissue boxes. Base coat them with acrylic paint but be careful to not get too much water mixed in because the boxes will develop bubbles from water. Not pretty. After base coating them I then either stencil, paint or stamp my images. The tissue box I have in my gallery is done on regular cardstock and embossed but usually I just paint right on the paper mache. With that box I wanting to use the Rhyme Time and just could not get a good image directly on the box. Hope this helps. Niki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 01:33 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPSILLY2004
When you decopague with tissure paper do you put a layer of modge podge? on the box and then another layer on top of the tissure paper? Is it the Modge Podge that you use or something else? This is a new adventure for me thus all the questions! Thanks for the replies so far. Gina
Sorry...I'm trying to remember! But I think I would put a little mod podge down and lay the tissue paper on it to hold the tissue in place. Then put another layer of MP over the tissue. I used a foam brush and worked carefully to avoid tearing the tissue paper. It really wasn't difficult.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 01:41 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I HAVE PAINTED WITH LUMIERE AMD THEN MIXED PEARL EX INTO LUMIER WITH A DROP OF INK FROM A REINKER AND SPONGED ON EDGES AND HAVE EMBOSSED SILVER SNOWFLAKES MADE A BEAUTIFUL BOX FOR A CRISTMAS PRESENT AND ADDED ORGANDY AND TIED A BIG FLUFFY BOW

MISCHELLE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 02:01 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default boxes

After you paint and stamp on your box, you can stamp a domino or other game piece to match and glue that on top as a handle to the lid of the box. It looks cool! (You can use like an E6000 glue if you have it, but a good glob of plain old Elmers or Tacky Glue will probably work fine too.)

Also, I have done a LOT of decoupage in my day, and you do put a THIN layer of mod podge down first, then put your tissue on, then another thin later on top. After that layer dries on all your stamped pieces, then you can go back over the whole box with a couple more thin layers (letting dry in between - it does not take long to dry) to make the shine even over the whole box.

You will do great I am sure and make sure you post us some photos of what you made!! : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

My demo used brilliant blue and white craft ink on these boxes last Christmas at a party for all of her hostesses. We smushed the sides into the brilliant blue ink, two sides at a time, then you can put on sparkling emnbossing powder if you want, then do the other two sides (if it is a square box). The very top and bottom we smushed into the craft white (I think we actually did the white first, so we wouldn't get blue into it!), then heated with heat gun. We also had to do the sides of the top of the box as well. Then we used the snowflake set in brilliant blue to stamp a snowflake on top, topped with sparkling embossing powder and embossed again. You can stamp more white snowflakes on the brilliant blue sides of the box. She also put small flat stones (marbles?) on the bottom of the box to raise it up a bit. This was very popular with all the women and I have to admit I went out and bought two or three kinds of craft ink and dazzling diamonds because of it! (I think she mixed the dazzling diamonds into the embossing powder, but can't remember for sure!) It was a WOW thing and all of us got the project completely done in less than an hour or so! Good luck, if you are wanting to showcase stamping up items, this is one way you could do it. My daughter wants to make these for her friends this Christmas, so I will be buying more colors of craft ink because of this project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2004, 05:53 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Wow! Thanks to all who replied with these great ideas and tips. I can't wait to give these a try--hopefully in the morning! Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2005, 08:09 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm looking for inspiration & found a few papier mach�/paper mache items in the Gallery. Here's one by Stampin' Ink and she posted her directions for this project.

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes