Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Little Birdie Told Me Rookie Mistake?

Hi,
whenever i make cards i find that they end up being very bulky and heavy. Don't get me wrong, they look great! but i dont think cards should weigh so much! Is there somthing i am doing wrong, or is this normal.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Something I do, especially when scrapbooking, is cut out the middles of pieces/frames that are going to be layered. The middles don't show anyway, I get to use the middle pieces on other projects, and the card/page isn't so heavy.

One thing I learned the hard way though, is don't cut the middle of a layering piece if the top paper is really thin, the cut out part will show through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Hi.

If you use lots of layers and each layer is made from heavy card the weight does build up.

Some manufacturers like Gina K. make their white card in both a heavy base weight and a lighter layering weight.

The other thing you could try is to cut the center out of your layers leaving just a border to show round your next layer. This also saves a bit of card if you are using expensive card like glittered or metallic.

I sometimes edge a layer with a gold pen or rub the edge on a Versamark ink pad, dip in gold embossing powder and heat emboss to give the illusion of another layer.

Ribbon bows can be bulky. I sometimes make them flatter by not tying them with a knot. Instead I cross the loops into a bow shape then tie thread round the middle where the knot would be. The thread can be hidden under a (flat) gem.

Personally I wouldn't worry unless your cards are costing more to post. In the UK we can post quite a heavy card for standard postage as long as it fits in a certain envelope size.

Regards

Lesley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

When DH was looking at all his unopened birthday cards on the table he picked up my card and said I bet this is from you it feels solid!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I don't think you're doing anything wrong....if you love layers and bling, go for it. Sounds like your husband loves your cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll admit to using kind of flimsy cardstock for my layers - the Recollections brand assortments at Michaels, or the Coredinations assortments at Joann's, for example, for my layers - it doesn't add quite as much weight. I even bought a ream of black text-weight paper on clearance at Office Max once, and I use that for layers because it adds almost no weight or bulk. I just make sure the base of the card is good and sturdy.

Any time you add a layer or embellishment, you're going to add weight, and that's ok. It's a handmade bit of art, you don't want it to feel disposable
Reply With Quote Likes