Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   alphabet diecuts (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/alphabet-diecuts-566667/)

jestamp 01-03-2013 08:03 AM

alphabet diecuts

Oh Wise Ones: How in the world do you best adhere those pesky alphabet and number diecuts? If I use a liquid or paste glue, I get a "puddle" around the letter. They attach themselves to my fingers and are webby if I use a tape runner.
Janet

Angelnorth 01-03-2013 09:35 AM

I tend to put double sided tape on the back of the cardstock before I die cut the lettering - the backing comes off really easily once its been through a die cutter (a manual one at any rate, I haven't done it with an electronic cutter).

HTH!

jestamp 01-03-2013 10:19 AM

I just KNEW there was a way that would make me say "duh". 'course then have to get that backing off; hope it's easier than usual. Thank you Angelnorth.

jor 01-03-2013 10:41 AM

I read this thread earlier this morning and was hoping someone would answer! Thank you Joanne! And I'm a Joanne too!!!

I was just thinking about getting a xyron machine to do adhesives, but I like this idea so much better! I can do it NOW without added cost!

lylacfey 01-03-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelnorth (Post 19918901)
I tend to put double sided tape on the back of the cardstock before I die cut the lettering - the backing comes off really easily once its been through a die cutter (a manual one at any rate, I haven't done it with an electronic cutter).

HTH!

That is an amazing tip. I can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing.

Indy_Patti 01-04-2013 02:03 AM

And if you don't have any double sided tape to use.... I put my liquid glue on some scratch paper, and apply glue to those small pieces with a toothpick. I don't get all the extra and its easier for me.

kphorse 01-04-2013 05:52 AM

A quickie glue pen works very good also!

jestamp 01-04-2013 06:46 AM

I confess I'm having trouble with the double-sided tape. I use Scor-Tape, and it is pretty thick. My Cuttlebug has trouble cutting thru the tape and cardstock--and then I've wasted a lot of tape. I hadn't broken my letters apart, so to save tape, I broke them apart and tried just the individual letters; I did no better. So I thought maybe a tape runner on the reverse side of cut letters before I popped them out. Some came out when I removed the die. I think I'm settling on dipping into slightly-dried/hardened Glossy Accents. But maybe Angelnorth has more advice.
Janet

Angelnorth 01-04-2013 07:05 AM

Hmmm, from your comment about breaking the letters apart I'm guessing they're Memory Box dies? I haven't tried those and have no idea what thickness they'd usually go through but I'm surprised that cardstock plus tape seems to pose a problem (unless you're using unusually thick cardstock, I guess). Did you try adding a shim?

If I forget to add tape before I die cut, I do the same as Indy_Patti and add Elmers type glue with a toothpick. I find lettering tends to drop off if I use a Quickie glue pen.

jestamp 01-04-2013 07:16 AM

Yes, Memory Box. I tried a shim and was surprised it didn't help.I use pretty thick cardstock--great point. Your idea appeals to me the most. I'll keep fiddling.

buggainok 01-04-2013 09:24 AM

Like Indy-Patti, I squirt a small puddle of Tombow Mono-Multi liquid in the green and white bottle on a piece of scratch paper, and then use a toothpick to apply small dots to the back of the letters or numbers.

I use a pair of tweezers to pick up the letter once the glue has been applied and carefully smooth it down.

The Zig two way glue pen is also good for this, and I use it if I have it handy (which means if I can find it, lol).

I don't think there is an easy way to apply small bits and pieces. It is just a tedious process and you have to take your time.:)

cat_woman 01-04-2013 09:58 AM

I use the xyron sticker maker adhesives without the machine. I break apart the cartridge and just use the rolls. I also go around my die cut with a dried ball point pen or stylus and that eliminates what I call the "glue boogers". You can also use an adhesive eraser after putting down the die cut to remove those glue boogers.

jor 01-04-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_woman (Post 19921182)
I use the xyron sticker maker adhesives without the machine. I break apart the cartridge and just use the rolls. I also go around my die cut with a dried ball point pen or stylus and that eliminates what I call the "glue boogers". You can also use an adhesive eraser after putting down the die cut to remove those glue boogers.

Now that is an idea, too.

jestamp 01-04-2013 10:53 AM

oh my goodness. Shari Carrel at Hero Arts just posted a video which includes how she adds letters. She uses a Zig pen and puts little dots.
Hero Arts Techniques: VIDEO: Simple Artist Trading Cards (ATCs)
Ask and you shall receive :)

lylacfey 01-05-2013 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy_Patti (Post 19920303)
And if you don't have any double sided tape to use.... I put my liquid glue on some scratch paper, and apply glue to those small pieces with a toothpick. I don't get all the extra and its easier for me.

I do the toothpick method too, especially with the delicate die cuts. I have used my Xyron. I love my glue pens. Toothpick is my favorite.

I just got to try this double sided tape method too. :) I think it sounds fun.

Nancy Seifert 01-09-2013 01:46 AM

Regarding "glue boogers" and the Xyron, someone told me to use a plastic bag that your groceries are packed in and rub it over your letters or whatever you run through the machine. I just use the whole bag and wrap part of it around my index finger. I tried it and it works pretty well but I want to try the double sided tape method.

sv133 01-09-2013 02:15 AM

I use a Martha Stewart glue pen and it works well without mess.

TeresaLynn 01-09-2013 04:42 AM

After I have cut all my letters, I pull out my glossy accents bottle. Because I store it upside down there is usually enough in the cap. I use a flat toothpick and pick up the glossy accents and touch in small dots and drag close to the edge to ensure my edges are glued down. I find this works best for me as I hate sticky fingers and hate the oozing that occurs if I place directly onto the letter. Or I use my Xyron little "X" sticker maker.

Susanne527 01-09-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelnorth (Post 19918901)

HTH!

This is very wise---here I am dotting glue and hoping not to get glumpy all over the place!!! haha Thanks for sharing! :)

octoberbabe 01-09-2013 07:49 AM

Xyron, Xyron, Xyron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the best. No sticky fingers, gloppy glue all over, you can reposition your letters if you use the repositional tape. I wouldn't use anything else!!

Cheryl Faxon 01-09-2013 10:35 AM

YES YES YES.... Xyron little X is the best. Even if I end up with little stickies on the edges, the SU glue eraser is magical for cleaning that up. Was advised to try spray adhesive too....but was a bit to messy for me, and the fumes were weird ! Stick with Xyron......oh my....was that a play on words.... ? ? ?

jeanne3579 01-09-2013 12:14 PM

Another vote for the Xyron.

AJStamper 01-09-2013 05:39 PM

Used to use glue pen. Once I got the Xyron's little "X", I've used only it. For larger letters I used the larger Xyron.

Rebecca Ednie 01-09-2013 08:28 PM

I use tiny amounts of scrap happy sheer glue.

lmcgraw01 01-17-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheryl Faxon (Post 19932452)
YES YES YES.... Xyron little X is the best. Even if I end up with little stickies on the edges, the SU glue eraser is magical for cleaning that up. Was advised to try spray adhesive too....but was a bit to messy for me, and the fumes were weird ! Stick with Xyron......oh my....was that a play on words.... ? ? ?

Really love the Little X-it takes up no room, does not need a plug in, and the refills last a long time and are cheap with a coupon. And it fits in the side pocket of my tote if I am traveling. I have tried all the other ways mentioned and prefer the Xyron. Seriously, I don't think it is even $15 before a coupon. Anybody remember what they paid?

octoberbabe 01-17-2013 04:55 PM

I paid $9.99 for my Xyron X eons ago. And the refills are only $5 at Wal Mart. If I have coupons I use them at other stores to purchase refills when I'm there. I have the Xyron 250 and the Xyron 500 too. I just noticed the Xyron 500 is $19.99 at Wal Mart and the refills for that size are $10. Realtively cheap in my estimation. Just wouldn't use anything else!

happigirlcorgi 01-17-2013 08:16 PM

I have tried using my Xyron with some of the more complicated Memory Box dies and ended up with glue boogers in the extreme. I was introduced to a product called Kool Tak Micro... You should use a tool like a poker or Creative memories used to have a sticker placement tool.
Kool Tak micro (green package) is a smallish sheet of teeny tiny glue dots. You carefully place your cutout on the dots, press down with the sheet backing, and then move it onto your project with the poker tool. The micro sheet is reusable because the dots are sooo tiny.
Alternately, Zots now has a "bling" mini dot that is about 1/8" wide, and flat. Either of those should work.
I have used Memory Box alphabets in the past and have used the Zag (?) glue or the Martha Stewart glue pen, but found that the letters fall off the project.
Hope that helps.