Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   alcohol ink question ??? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/alcohol-ink-question-230882/)

Mary55075 03-08-2007 09:50 AM

alcohol ink question ???

:( I tried the alcohol technique on some square tiles I purchased. It took them some time to dry...which it should not of done. Anyhow, after they dried I applied DecoArt DuraClear varnish. The varnish took ALL of the color off the tile. WHAT DID I DO WRONG??? The varnish is suppose to seal it...not remove it. Yikes!

Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks...

Mary
(Minnesota)

Mary55075 03-14-2007 05:36 PM

Still trying to figure out what I did wrong...any ideas?

Thanks!

Cathy H 03-14-2007 06:55 PM

Bumping for you . I don't know the answer. Sorry

dolphinprncss03 03-16-2007 04:30 AM

maybe there was alcohol in the product may try one that doesnt have it in it

The MFT Lady 03-16-2007 05:07 AM

This might be a stupid question, but were you using the Tim Holtz alcohol inks?

Suzy_H 03-16-2007 05:12 AM

Was the square tile chipboard? You need a non porous surface or it will not work. That is why the inks wont work well with CS. I did make my own paper with glossy though and that worked well.

As for the varnish, I am guessing that it acted like a very strong Alcohol Blending Solution, which lightens and can actually remove ink. Chemistry at work, I am guessing.

craftygirl04 03-16-2007 05:24 AM

If the tile had any type of finish on it the inks won't adhere very well. You have to sand it down or use a tumled stone type of tile instead. I had the same problem. The other option is to put a matte varnish on first and then the alcohol inks. That may also work. Sorry for your troubles.

Sharpstamper 03-16-2007 08:06 AM

I had that happen on something wooden, so I did it again and sprayed it first to seal it (can't remember the name, that spray varnish stuff) and then brushed the sealer it and it was fine.

lemonie 03-16-2007 08:26 AM

I know in the alcohol tutorial, she said not to stamp with Stazon because it is a solvent. I assume the varnish acted like a solvent also. I also suggest spraying it with an acrylic spray before you use varnish. I think that would protect it.
Melanie

Mary55075 03-16-2007 08:37 AM

:)

WOW...what a nice surprise to log on and see some comments. Did not receive any notice so this was nice to see.

It is Tim Holtz alcohol inks...adirondack.

I may have to try sanding them like I did for the dominoes. I thought the tutorial said not to...but I am probably wrong about that.

This was not chipboard...it was an actual tile I bought at a stamping store.

There are no ingredients on the varnish bottle but this was suggested by someone on the site. Does seem to act like a solvent though. The dominoes I did I used a spray finish...may have to go back to that...then try the varnish.

Think that is all the questions/answers. Thanks for taking the time to look at my question. I thought for sure I was going crazy...may still be though...giggle. Seem to have to many things on my mind lately. Need a good old fashion stamping day!

Thanks again...you truly are awesome people.

Mary
Mary55075

Laura Lea Collet 03-19-2007 09:18 AM

Alcohol Inks

Is is possible to use St. Up! ink instead of alcohol inks?

shiningdaughters 03-19-2007 12:42 PM

SU Ink instead of alchol inks

A friend of mine and I saw a demonstration using dye ink with alcohol and it had the same polished stone effect as alcohol inks. I guess if you used your reinker (put a few drops of the dye ink on a piece of alcohol dampened felt) you could use SU ink. The technique worked like this: take glossy cardstock and spray it with a mist of alcohol; pounce some felt with dye ink and a few drops of metal paint on the misted cardstock. If you want to have more spread, mist the cardstock again. I think that there are better, more articulate tutorials about this online.