Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2005, 05:49 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magic card

I was just browsing the gallery and was wondering if anyone has the directions for the Magic Card???? Much appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:57 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Magic Card Instructions

Materials:

Cardstock—any color for frame card, white or ivory for colored image behind acetate.
Acetate—window sheets, any clear plastic sheet will work. Does not need to be Thermal
Acetate, since there is no embossing done on the acetate.
Permanent Ink—black works best, can also use another dark color like blue or brown.
Double-sided tape or other adhesive
Rubber Stamps—one stamp for main image to be stamped on both acetate and cardstock.
Additional stamps can be used on either the acetate or cardstock, such as greetings.

This card is much easier to make than it is to explain!

Take the piece of cardstock you will be using for the frame card and score two vertical lines on
the 8-1/2" side of the paper. The first score line at 2-1/2", the second at 6". This will give you
three vertical sections, measuring from left to right 2.5", 3.5" and 2.5" This adds up to the 8-1/2"
side of the cardstock.

Turn the paper horizontally and score a line at 4-1/2" and then cut the next line at 8-9/16" (a little
more than 8-1/2"). Your paper should be 8-1/2" x 8-9/16", divided into 6 sections.

Place the paper so that the 8-1/2" side is along the top edge. Cut out the lower left and lower
right squares, leaving a "T" shape. This is the basic form for the card.

The middle section of the top 3 will be the "frame" section, or the front of the card. Leaving ½"
on all 4 sides of that box, cut out the middle. You will still have your "T" shape, only the top
middle square will have the rectangle cut out from it at this point.

I find that the card assembles and works more easily if you trim a tiny bit from the left and right
sides of the bottom square of the "T". This would make that section a little less narrow than 3-
1/2".

For the image, you can either (1) cut the CS and acetate before hand and try to stamp the images
exactly in the same spot on both pieces (impossible!) or (2) stamp first, then align and cut. I
highly recommend option 2. Stamp the image using the permanent ink on the acetate. Then
stamp it again on the white/ivory cardstock.(this piece ends up being 3-1/4" x 4-1/8", so you
don't need a full sheet for this part). Once the ink has dried on the acetate (Brilliance ink or
Crafter's Ink is best for this step, since they don't require heat to set the ink), line up the 2
images exactly and carefully tape the acetate and CS together. I use regular scotch tape for this
part, then use the double-sided tape to formally tape it once it's been cut to size. The scotch tape
holds the images where you want them while you cut them to the 3-1/4" x 4-1/8" size.

Now, you should stamp around the frame you've made, if desired. This is the front of the card.
Mask the inside of the card so you just stamp the frame itself, not other pieces.
Color/emboss/decorate as desired.

Take the main image you've stamped on the CS and color/emboss/decorate as desired. You can
also add stamped greetings to this piece of CS in colored ink. Note: any greetings you add on the
acetate should be done in the black ink and make sure anything you stamp on the acetate won't
cover up any greetings you've added to the CS piece when you pull the card up. If I am adding a
greeting on the front/acetate piece, I will stamp at the bottom, while adding any greetings on the
piece of CS at the top. Otherwise, one will cover the other.

Before you can put the card together you need to make a small tab to pull the image up and also
a stopping mechanism so the card won't pull out from the frame every time. Both are easy to do.
Make the tab whatever size/shape you'd like, coordinating the color with the cardstock used on
the main card. The stopping part is going to be 4-1/2" tall by about 1" wide. You cut away both
vertical sides, leaving an image that looks like a capital I.

Take a smaller piece of cardstock (2" x ½" or less) and wrap it around the vertical part of that I-
shaped piece, overlapping a little bit and taping it closed (use double-sided tape, on the inside).
You will now have a circle that can move freely up and down that vertical section of the I-shaped
piece. It will be stopped when it reaches the horizontal top of that I-shaped piece.

The card folds up as follows: the white piece under the frame section folds up and goes behind
the frame. This is the piece that will separate the acetate image from the colored/cardstock
image. You should fold that flap up and carefully place the acetate/CS image over it, to see
where it falls as far as the top of the frame goes. At this point those two pieces should be held
together with a piece of double-sided tape; I usually cut my tape so it's not so wide. Doesn't
have to go the length of the top of the card, either. You will need to make a small tab and
tape/glue it to the back of the CS image, near the top so it can be pulled up.

If you find the top of the acetate/CS images are over the top of the frame, you can do one or both
of two things: first, cut that flap that folds up to separate the images, only be careful you don't
cut it too short and expose it in the open frame! Second, you can cut the bottom of the CS/acetate
image a little bit, to make it shorter. Note: the frame itself can be made larger by making the
opening you cut smaller—3/4" etc. This card can be made in virtually any size, so you may want
to adjust the dimensions to fit the image you're using.

Once you have determined that this all looks ok, you need to put it together. The bottom flap
folds up first, then the two side ones. The first side panel you fold in (your choice) will be the
one that has the 'stopper' attached to it. Fold it in and see where it hits the middle of the frame;
then attach the I-shaped piece of CS, which now has the cardstock circle around it, to that flap
using double sided tape. Just tape the top and bottom of the I, not the vertical slider part. Make
sure the little circle piece is at the bottom of the slider and put a piece of double-sided tape on it.
Then carefully attach that to the bottom of the cardstock image piece (the one you've colored in).
If you glue the circle on further up on the image, it will stop sooner than you'd like when pulling
up. Once that is secure, fold over the final flap and glue/tape it down.

Voila! Pull on the tab and see the magic unfold right before your eyes. People will play with
these cards over and over again. It is fascinating—just make sure the image is lined up perfectly.

Monica Stockton SCS #2687
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alexandria, VA

www.monicastockton.stampinup.net
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/skpupy68
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:29 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes