Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-04-2023, 02:03 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Default TLC983 Crafting Collaboration 12/25/2023

First things first: TLC983 Gallery
Disclaimer: Since it's a holiday and due to the nature of this challenge, it may take a while for things to be posted.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to those of you celebrating today! Many people are with family and friends and won't even think of looking at the challenge today. (That's okay, they can play later.) Since so many people are crafty for the holidays, there are parties and get togethers, formal and informal--especially during this week after the big events are over. Here are some crafty collaborative ideas. Ready to play? I have several ideas and endless options to throw out. The idea is to collaborate with other people or to randomize in some way your craft options to add an unexpected element. Do it your way and tell us how you collaborated.

Ways to collaborate with friends:

--Lost in Space or Mystery Envelope--In the movie, Apollo 13, one of my favorite scenes is when they dump a pile of stuff on the table and tell the earthbound astronauts to solve a problem for those in trouble in space. The stuff on the table was all that was available to those in space. To play, send several friends identical envelopes containing papers, embellishments, or even a stamped image. each friend has to create something using all of the items in the envelope. Share online to see the results. if you are all in the same room, just give each person the same items. Or each person gets to put one item in the mix. for those who are not lost in space, they can add items to complete their cards.
--The Dump--Dump a scrap pile and an unused kit on the table and tell everyone to be creative with what is on the table. you can set rules about what can be added to the elements on the table. This one is great for kids and also cleans out your scraps. Set a timer if you need some limits.
--Quilting Bee--Make a friendship quilt. Each person stamps a piece of card stock with small images to create a custom DSP resembling calico. Use a quilt die or square punch and give everyone a piece (or two) of the paper you created. (You can predetermine a color palette or leave it all to chance.) Each person customizes their quilt card according to taste, but has to use at least one piece from every player. Don't forget the chatter around the table like the old quilting bees. Take time to connect with each other. This is a collaboration children or inexperienced crafters can participate in, so don't forget to invite them to play.
--Round Robin--set a timer for a specified number of minutes (5, 10, or 15). Each person creates whatever they want to during the time allotted. When the timer rings, pass the card to the next person. Set the timer again (maybe shorter this time) and each person adds something to the card begun by another. Continue as long as you like or play another round.
--Scavenger Hunt--Make a list for a Christmas card scavenger hunt (a furry animal, a house, a plant, and wood-look paper) . Make a card using pieces from at least 4 Christmas cards sent by friends. They have many beautiful papers that don't have to be for Christmas. (Hint: Make them thank you notes for Christmas gifts.)
--Spinner Surprise--Customize a spinner with your own choices. By now, you know the drill...Each person writes down a theme (floral, animals, abstract) or medium (watercolor, paint, etc.) layout, or technique. Customize your own spinner.
--Tag an online friend (or two or three) to play along with you via email, live chat or Zoom. Together play one of the randomized options above or below...
--Tokens for exceptions--For an extra element of surprise, give each person a token to play to make an exception to whatever rules you have set. For example, I hate that color, I'll play my token so I don't have to use that color. ...but tokens should have limits. ...or rewards associated with them if you don't use them (extra chocolate, for example).

Don't worry...you can play without others around. Our family was a party of 4 which was ideal for card games when we had a holiday at home. Then big brother went off to college and didn't always come home for a holiday, little sister was sad. We solved the problem by setting a stuffed animal in brother's chair and drawing a card or rolling the dice to see what random thing brother would play. The results were often hilarious and made us miss him just a little less.

Randomized options to play alone at home:

--BINGO--Pit your creativity against a random element such as the Card Jingo game I have created for you. (see attached Jingo cards) Play like Bingo--use 5 in a row in any direction. You can also Create your own Bingo cards!
--DICE--Roll the dice to choose something random. For example, you can roll 3 dice to choose a challenge number. You can determine which type of challenge ahead of time or look through all the weekly challenges for the number you rolled and choose one. There are online dice if you want to have 9 faces. You can even roll for a color, a sketch AND a technique if you want to make it hard. here is an online Dice Randomizer or if you want to cut to the chase, here is A Number Randomizer.
--Spinner Surprise--Customize a spinner with your own choices. By now, you know the drill...Write down a theme (floral, animals, abstract) or medium (watercolor, paint, etc.) layout, or technique. Customize your own spinner.
--Scavenge--Make a card using pieces from at least 4 Christmas cards sent by friends. They have many beautiful papers that don't have to be for Christmas. Or get ahead for next year's Christmas cards by creating a new card from this year's cards. For fun, send it back to the person who sent it to you this year.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN creating! Do it in an unusual way to commemorate the holiday. Who knows?! You may create a new tradition.

Here is the story of my card: (see attached) Our Cards
  • My friend, Terri is tcthread here on Splitcoaststampers, but she hasn't ever posted to her gallery. (Y'all encourage her to start posting because she recently retired and has time now.) Terri chose playing the Lost in Space option described above. This meant we could only play with items she specified.
  • When I arrived at her house, she had laid out the markers pictured below, Thanks for the Laughs (sentiments set), a Winnie the Pooh stamp set from Michaels. She also said I could use Soft Suede or Early Espresso ink, Crushed Curry and white card stock, linen thread, and dimensionals. Optional was the Picture This dies--Terri really wanted me to use them, though she didn't use them on her card.
  • Terri's card is the mostly white card attached--which I thought was adorable.
  • My card is the Crushed Curry card with the Picture This die.
  • Both cards are pictured together representing our collaboration. I loved playing a live challenge set up by my dear friend, so I sent the card to her as a thank you note.

Here is our collaborative show and tell gallery: Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

If you're not sure how to link your card on the thread here, here's how:
1. Open 2 windows or tabs: one window for your card and one for this thread.
2. In this thread, click on reply and type anything you want to show before the link.
3. Go to your card window. Highlight the address for your card. (It says www. splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto..... and so on)
4. Click EDIT. Click COPY
5. Go back to this thread. Click PASTE.
Attached Thumbnails
TLC983 Crafting Collaboration 12/25/2023-jingo-1.png   TLC983 Crafting Collaboration 12/25/2023-jingo-2.png   TLC983 Crafting Collaboration 12/25/2023-img_0585.jpg   TLC983 Crafting Collaboration 12/25/2023-img_0616.jpg   TLC983 Crafting Collaboration 12/25/2023-img_0613.jpg  

TLC983 Crafting Collaboration 12/25/2023-img_0614.jpg  

Last edited by ruby-heartedmom; 01-13-2024 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Spelling error in title corrected
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2023, 11:09 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 751 Likes on 564 Posts

I think I'll find time to try to play with your Jingo today, I hope I can find the items because a lot has been packed already,but here are my cards made with Sabrina's Mystery Envelope

We do what we can with what we've got !!

Come to the TEA-party every Tuesday
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
ruby-heartedmom (12-27-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 09:35 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Oh this was fun, Beverly! I don't have any close friends who make cards, so decided to collaborate with YOU by using one of your Jingo cards at random. Numbered the squares, and used a bingo randomizer to choose numbers until I filled a line, which was: light green, metallic, glossy, words only, and slimline. To be honest, the 'words only' terrified me, but I think it worked out in the end.

Thanks for helping me to think outside the box to come up with a new way to design a card!
Here it is: By Jingo Card

Leslie

�The best kind of happiness is a habit you're passionate about.� ~
Shannon L. Alder
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Stamples:
ruby-heartedmom (12-27-2023), snietje (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 10:42 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 751 Likes on 564 Posts

I've made a card using the card jingo today: Jingo

We do what we can with what we've got !!

Come to the TEA-party every Tuesday
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2023, 09:33 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

A solo effort

TLC983_Jingo_TopRow by Jay_Bee at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2023, 10:01 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,771 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Two For One by jkanack at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes