Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Technique Lover's Challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/)
-   -   TLC592, Paper Marbling {06/27/2016} (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/tlc592-paper-marbling-%7B06-27-2016%7D-611033/)

k dunbrook 06-26-2016 05:03 PM

TLC592, Paper Marbling {06/27/2016}

Hello Stamping Friends and welcome to another TLC Challenge.

Today I am filling in for Sabrina who is away. So happy to be back with you again.

So, today the challenge is called:

TLC592; Paper Marbling

I have been playing with paper marbling for awhile now and it is really fun. For my samples, I used RangerAlcohol inks and Copic Re-Inkers.

So here we go....

This technique only works with alcohol based inks so you will need:

Alcohol Inks or Copic Re-inkers.

If you don't have any of the above, you may want to try nail polish or acrylic paint mixed with rubbing alcohol. (I read that someone had success using these)

I used a heavy white cardstock but you can also use watercolor paper.

Step 1- Fill a shallow pan or container with water.

Step 2- Drip an alcohol-based ink over the water surface. I added about 5 drops or so.

Step 3- You can place your paper directly down into the water or submerge it at one end and drag it on through the inky water. You will achieve different looking effects on your paper depending on what method you use.

Step 4- Set aside to dry.

When dry use your marbled paper to

- die cut a shape

- use as a background

- stamp over the top

- paper piece on your card

- make a frame for a stamped piece

I created 2 cards using this technique.

Marbled in Red (used Copic Re-Inkers)

Marbled in Purple (used Ranger Alcohol ink)

Remember to add TLC592 to your keyword line when uploading your card so it will show up in the gallery.

TLC592 GALLERY can be found HERE.

muscrat 06-26-2016 06:02 PM

I've never tried this before! Sounds like fun is about to happen! Did you use regular cardstock or watercolor paper?

k dunbrook 06-27-2016 02:25 AM

I used a heavy, white cs but try using watercolour paper...would most likely work well too!

bensarmom 06-27-2016 06:01 AM

Karen,
I had lots of fun with this. Here's my card.

tessaduck 06-27-2016 07:45 AM

Use your imagination and squint a little, and maybe you'll see the marbling. It shows up better irl. Here 'tis: TLC592 happy happy

Mrs Noofy 06-27-2016 10:21 AM

Thanks for giving me a chance to use my marbled paper. Here is my effort.
TLC592 Marbled Golden Birthday by Mrs Noofy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

hobbydujour 06-27-2016 11:07 AM

Perhaps I cheated, but I used a piece of hand done marbling that I had made with a friend awhile back....just been saving it. We used the traditional technique with combs, etc. Fun, but messy. Great challenge and your method seems a LOT simpler, Karen. Thanks.

CATTAILS

annsforte3 06-27-2016 12:06 PM

I had fun today did you?

Oh this was fun, Karen, but it cost me money! HeHe...I just had to order more of the alcohol inks, I only have four different colors!!

Did several different takes so now I have additional backgrounds in my stash!

Here is

Marbled Ocean

and

Vintage Marbling

donidoodle 06-27-2016 12:18 PM

Thanks for a fun challenge, Karen!
Here's mine:
TLC592 Love You by donidoodle - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

TexasGrammy 06-27-2016 01:30 PM

Oooooooh! Haven't even thought of this is years! Love your samples, Karen! Must remember to try this soon!

cdimick 06-27-2016 02:59 PM

Sounds like fun and I would love to participate but I don't have the needed supplies.

Stamperrobin 06-27-2016 03:26 PM

Hello Karen, thanks for the fun challenge!
TLC CAS FS Kendra by Stamperrobin - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks for looking!

cjzim 06-27-2016 04:50 PM

Well, Karen...I tried, I really did! I used Copic re-inkers, did 2 with 110 lb. card and 2 with watercolor paper. All 4 came out so washed out and drab. I don't know what I did wrong! Even kept adding more drops of ink with each try, fairly dark colors, too. Anyway, they're too blah to use, so I guess I'm nust marbling challenged : (
Thanks so much for providing us with the challenge today, though - you are much appreciated!

Margscardcrazy 06-27-2016 11:03 PM

Here's my card for the challenge, A Modest Note, had a lot of fun doing this.
Thanks for inspiring me Karen :D

Margscardcrazy 06-28-2016 04:25 AM

Here's a second card for the challenge, Hello to You , hope you don't mind me adding a different version of marbling Karen, I apologize if it was out of order :)

kellyjg 06-28-2016 06:39 AM

Not sure if someone has mentioned this yet... a cotton ball, dipped in rubbing alcohol and then having just a dot of SU! Classic Reinkers will do the same trick. Just dob the inked cotton ball on a piece of glossy white card stock and voila! Marbled Paper! Love this technique, Karen!!!

genistamps 06-28-2016 08:34 AM

Great challenge!

TLC592,CAS383, Liberty by genistamps - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

bubblestx4 06-28-2016 01:59 PM

I Got a few minutes this morning to try the marbled bg before heading off to work - WOW so quick and easy! since the only Alcohol inks I own are deep Rose, Eggplant & Lettuce, it worked well to combine with tues. color challenge. Here's my Marbled bg card:

Life is "tweet" by bubblestx4 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

guneauxdesigns 06-28-2016 09:59 PM

Karen, thank you for your technique challenge; it was great. I wasn't successful using the tutorial so I had to use another method to achieve a marbled look. Hopefully my card will qualify for the TLC. Here is my card!

muscrat 06-28-2016 10:08 PM

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who tossed some into the trash! I used spectrum noir reinkers and when I dropped it into the water it got globby (is that a word?) Tried three or four times and then called uncle! LOL

tessaduck 06-29-2016 01:20 PM

Here's another: SC599 Bethlehem

resqbarbie 06-30-2016 06:44 PM

finally got around to this!

Loved you then by resqbarbie - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Margscardcrazy 06-30-2016 09:11 PM

Here's another card for the challenge 98th Birthday Wishes, I also used the sketch challenge this week for this card.
Cheers
Marg

Loll Thompson 07-04-2016 12:47 PM

Great challenge Karen. Here's my Floating Alcohol Inks card.

nancy littrell 07-08-2016 06:53 PM

Loved your Paper Marbling Challenge Karen. You are always inspiring me with your awesome techniques and works of art! TFS my friend. Hugs, nancy

Paper Marbling and Zig Markers Coloring

Kari B. 07-24-2016 06:44 AM

Hi Ya'll. I enjoyed learning this new technique. You may not see much of the marbling in the bg but it's there. I marbled it with metallic gold. I hope you like it ! TFL
A special Gift by Kari B. - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers