Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Technique Lover's Challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/)
-   -   TLC238 Faux Enamel {9/14/2009} (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/tlc238-faux-enamel-%7B9-14-2009%7D-458664/)

Lynn in St. Louis 09-14-2009 02:07 AM

TLC238 Faux Enamel {9/14/2009}

Hello all. I trust everyone had a rockin� weekend! It's a new week and I have a fun technique to share with you today, so gets get to it!

Don�t you just love the look of enamel jewelery. They have so much depth and shine to them. They would make awesome embellishments, wouldn�t they? Well, today we are going to make some embellishments that aren�t enamel, but will certainly make the recipient take a second look.

I saw THIS POST by Jacquie Hefner where she had a tutorial on Faux Enamel Technique. Wow, was I blown away from the results that she achieved. You may certainly follow her tutorial and achieve similar results, but when I went to do my project I didn�t have any metallic crayons. (my baby is 25, and while I did have a container of really old crayons for company, I didn�t have any metallic ones. I even made a special trip to my local Walgreens, thinking for sure they would have some within the isles and isles of school supplies, but no luck) SO�I just continued on with what I had, and while I didn�t get the awesome metallic shimmer that Jacquie achieved, I was quite happy with my results just the same. Now I�m on the hunt for metallic crayons so I can try this again.

One thing that I DID do that helped give me a little shimmer was after I applied my crystal lacquer, I sprayed a fine mist of Glimmer Mist Gold onto the project. While you can�t see it in my photograph, the Glimmer Mist does give my butterflies a slight shimmer.

Here is a list of supplies that you will need for this technique:

1. Heat resistant surface (like Jacquie, I used my craft sheet), but make sure that what is under the craft sheet is ALSO heat resistant
2. Heat gun
3. Wax paper
4. Regular crayons
5. Metallic crayons (if you have �em use �em)
6. Pencil sharpener
7. White cardstock
8. Crystal Lacquer, Crystal Effects, Glossy Accents (or any type of clear finish)

Be sure to print out a copy of Jacquie�s directions if you have metallic crayons and want to complete her technique as she demonstrates. I had to go in a slightly different direction without my metallic crayons, so I completed her steps, but didn�t stamp on my item as she did so beautifully. Rather after my lacquer was dry (tick, tock, tick, tock�that stuff drys slowly) I used a Sizzix die and cut my shapes. Don�t get in a rush, but give your lacquer plenty of drying time�you will be so happy you did.

Jacquie has additional tips and hints about using this technique which can be found HERE She also wanted me to tell you that if you had any questions about her technique that you may e-mail her at [email protected]

To see my sample CLICK HERE.

To view the gallery of projects using this technique, CLICK HERE.

Be sure to add the keyword TLC238 (no spaces) when you upload your project so every one can enjoy the variety of projects you�re sure to create.

Hint for next week: Get out your circle punches and if you used all of your crystal lacquer on the project this week, stock up because we will need some next week too!

dawnmercedes 09-14-2009 03:05 AM

I saw her cards on Paper Temptress! ooh lala!

Cook22 09-14-2009 03:11 AM

Sounds like a great challenge to get me back into crafting after the holidays. Just have to unearth my crayons!! Thanks, Lynn. And the drying time will give me no excuse not to wash the kitchen and porch floors.

Vicky Gould 09-14-2009 03:17 AM

Wow, sounds very interesting - gotta give it a try!

Cook22 09-14-2009 03:46 AM

Bummer, can't find my Twistables anywhere. I remember using them for a TLC a while back, so they've got to be somewhere. While I keep looking, I can say that watercolour crayons are NOT waxy enough - didn't think they would be but it was worth a try.

Lynn in St. Louis 09-14-2009 03:52 AM

This technique calls for crayons. I would hate for you to use us so many of your wonderful watercolor crayons for something that may not work. When I did my project, I used up entire crayons (3) to get the effect I achieved.

Cook22 09-14-2009 03:54 AM

:D I only tried a little bit to see would it work. They came from Freecycle in the first place, anyway. But I'm only just back from the household shop, so if the Crayola don't turn up, I'll just have to make a mental note to come back to this, it looks so cool.

DawnL 09-14-2009 04:17 AM

cool Lynn! can't wait to give it try!

lacyquilter 09-14-2009 04:18 AM

Awesome technique, Lynn. I'll have to see if there are still any crayons in the house. I don't have any little ones around anymore - my youngest is a sr. in college.

n5stamper 09-14-2009 04:22 AM

Here is my CREEPY CRAWLY FAUX ENAMEL.

okstamper 09-14-2009 04:30 AM

Sounds interesting! I have TONS of crayons...but dont know about the metallic ones. Hmm, its worth a try to see. One more child to get off to school, then I'll get to play. Thanks Lynn!

kellyjg 09-14-2009 04:57 AM

Sometimes I wonder if you should get paid for finding so many wonderful techniques, Lynn! he he he. Hoping my gratitude fills your tank today! THis is just such an awesome technique!

SanJoseLady 09-14-2009 05:16 AM

Hi everyone,

I hope you like this technique, a couple of more "hints" for you:

Here is a link to another version of the technique (I keep playing around with how to do this, from using the transparency to using the crystal lacquer)

Also, if you do not have any metallic crayons use the gold, silver and bronze that comes with the regular crayons, mix those colors with regular crayons.

And...if you don't have metallic crayons try adding some mica powder product (pearl ex and so on) to the crayon (I add a bit before I melt, then when I remove the wax paper and the crayon is still hot I add a bit more so it sticks)

You can find metallic crayons here, at a pretty reasonable cost.

Last, I also played around this weekend with my melting pot and the crayons, that gave me a pretty neat result as well. For the melting pot I did not have to shave the crayon, just put in chunks, and also added clear embossing powder to the melting pot and melted crayons. I place the paper face down into the melted combination and the results were very nice, will show you later when I get home from work.

Also, I dipped a toothpick into the melted crayon mixture and dripped dots on my craft sheet which and then created little dew drops : ) What I haven't tried yet, but will, is to pour the mixture onto a rubber stamp (which has been inked with clear embossing ink) to create an embellishment (I have seen this done before but want to try it on a rubber stamp that I don't like first). After the melted mixture dries you are supposed to be able to peel off the hardened mixture without much trouble and without harming your rubber stamp (I would not try this with a clear stamp) When I get around to doing this I will let you know how that works.

Ooops, here is another hint: save the wax paper to use as a background on your cards! I have used it many ways, whole, torn up, cut up, use your imagination.

At some point I am going to make a video of this technique...just have not had the time to sit down to film, edit and post the video.

resqbarbie 09-14-2009 05:17 AM

wow this is fabulous! I'm gonna give it a try!

jafields76 09-14-2009 05:35 AM

Hey Lynn!
You can find metallic crayons at Michaels or JoAnn's. =)

markie's mom 09-14-2009 05:55 AM

Lynn, this was GREAT! I used Acrylic Clear Spray to "set" mine, and it only took a few minutes to dry!

Here's today's submission

Lynn in St. Louis 09-14-2009 08:41 AM

Yes, that would "set" it, but to get the real deep glossy look of enamel, you would need to use a TON of layers. I do think your card is beautiful, however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie's mom (Post 15122627)
Lynn, this was GREAT! I used Acrylic Clear Spray to "set" mine, and it only took a few minutes to dry!

Here's today's submission

RobinRingtail 09-14-2009 08:42 AM

This was fun! Thanks for the great challenge I've played around with waxed crayons before but never thought to use my heat gun instead of the iron. This was a nice short cut!

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=150908

Biggan 09-14-2009 09:24 AM

Thanks Lynn...but it wasn�t easy..here�s mine..

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=125756

TFL!
Birgit

Biggan 09-14-2009 09:25 AM

Thanks Lynn...but it wasn�t easy..here�s mine..

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=125756

TFL!
Birgit

Cook22 09-14-2009 10:23 AM

I never did find my crayons...another day.

sleepyinseattle 09-14-2009 10:34 AM

I'll be the first to admit I am no Martha Stewart. It took me 45 minutes just to find my iron today. Who would have thought it was on my husband's side of the bathroom in his cabinet? um, yes.... he does his own ironing.
I couldn't find the metallic crayons so I used glitter crayons instead:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...422?&cat=16116

Have a great week everyone!

naturecoastcrafter 09-14-2009 11:51 AM

Still waiting for lacquer to dry! LOL!

Lynn in St. Louis 09-14-2009 11:54 AM

I know...it like takes FOREVER! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturecoastcrafter (Post 15125361)
Still waiting for lacquer to dry! LOL!

naturecoastcrafter 09-14-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. Louis (Post 15125377)
I know...it like takes FOREVER! ;)

I hope to get it up in the gallery by Christmas!:D

naturecoastcrafter 09-14-2009 12:58 PM

Finished enough to cut--it was a fun learning experience. I learned A LOT, Lynn!

Enameled Rose

okstamper 09-14-2009 03:14 PM

I attempted this technique, but the phone rang..neighbors visited, and well, ahhh...got the leaf done. But haven't had the chance to put it on a card. It was an interesting technique.

resqbarbie 09-14-2009 05:00 PM

Wow, this was a fabulous technique! I love it!

The Crayola Bird

Mutterville 09-15-2009 07:46 AM

So beautiful! I'll have to spend some time with this one :)

ckbythesea 09-15-2009 07:46 PM

Wow, this technique looks so cool! I hope to try this soon.

2manycookbooks 09-17-2009 06:09 AM

Wow this looks fun! Can't wait to get home and try it. I'm at a conference (again) in Boston this time so am a virtual stamper this week.
I'm going to have to send the dh on a hunt for crayons.

Rox71 09-22-2009 08:45 PM

OOPS...I posted to the wrong challenge!

texan947 09-24-2009 08:31 PM

This was lots of fun...I made several pages to use, but here is the one card I have actually finished
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=220528

2manycookbooks 09-25-2009 05:05 PM

Hi Lynn,

Here it is and as indicated ---

I tried

This was a fun technique but I don't think I did it right. I also tried to
stamp on the acetate and then use the clear ep. It blew all over my face. No go with that one.

So I ended up stamping on the melted crayons directly and just cutting them out.

I will give it another shot some time I guess. I thought I read all the directions .....