Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Technique Lover's Challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/)
-   -   TLC203 Origami Box (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/tlc203-origami-box-410418/)

Lynn in St. Louis 01-12-2009 02:28 AM

TLC203 Origami Box

1 Attachment(s)
Ok technique lovers. Here's a little project that would make a nice gift, or just to make for yourself. It's a no glue, no tape box. I actually made several of these boxes to sit on my craft table to hold little punched shapes that I didn't use, but wanted to at some point. They make handy little organizational holders for little bits of this and that.

I saw this box from Melissa Stout a/k/a mstout928 in this post. She has all the measurements for the box cover listed in this post as well. The PDF file for the folding instructions for the Origami Box is attached to this post. It's REALLY easy, so fear not! :)

However; for my sample, the box itself didn't require any glue or tape...just a piece of 12 X 12 paper and bone folder...but I made a cover for mine that required a little glue and some tacky tape (see Melissa's instructions above). Read on if you're interested:

What you will need for this project:
  • 12 X 12 piece of patterned paper (double or single sided pattern) for the no-glue Origami Box
  • 2 sheets of double sided paper - 5 1/4" x 12" (for the cover, if you are making on of these)
  • One sheet of lightweight chipboard - 5 1/4" X 12" (again, for the cover only) (I used the backing from a legal sized note pad)
  • Craft glue or glue stick (for cover only)
  • Ribbon (for cover closure, or you may use another type of closure)

Using your 12 X 12 piece of patterned paper, follow the instructions for the fold that is in the PDF file (attached)

Decorate and set aside. If you are only making the box, then you are done! If you want to make a cute cover for your box, read on...

Using your 2) 5-1/4" X 12" pieces of designer paper and your lightweight chipboard, score at 4 7/8" and 7 1/8". Check the folds against your box for any minor adjustments in folds.

Glue your patterned paper to each side of the chipboard, maintaining your folds. Let the glue dry.

Place ribbon under the box, wrap the cover around the box and adhere with sticky strip.

Isn't it lovely?! Now what will you put inside? Some yummy treats, love notes, note cards? It's up to you.

To see my sample (I have 3 views) , click HERE
or HERE
or HERE

To view all the samples using this technique, click HERE

Be sure to use the KEYWORD TLC203 (no spaces).

Hint for next week: Embossing powder will pave the way.

One more thing: Have you ever wished that you could be notified when a new TLC has been posted? Well now you can. Check out this THREAD for instructions on how to get updates delivered directly to your inbox.

papermoon04 01-12-2009 02:32 AM

Fun one Lynn. I sure hope I can play today, it's been too long...

Lynn in St. Louis 01-12-2009 02:33 AM

Yes it has been a long time since I've seen you here. Hope you can eek out some time today...or this week. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by papermoon04 (Post 12685652)
Fun one Lynn. I sure hope I can play today, it's been too long...

Shadow's Mom 01-12-2009 02:53 AM

How cool is this? Thanks, Lynn, I've been wanting to make one of these!

Limarea 01-12-2009 02:56 AM

This looks fun and easy to do. Thanks for sharing =)

NANCYRUTH 01-12-2009 02:57 AM

than ks Lynn!!

bensarmom 01-12-2009 03:03 AM

Wow another great challenge! I can do this one.......thanks Lynn!

okstamper 01-12-2009 03:11 AM

WOW! Looks like fun, I'll get to play once the boys get off to school. Thanks!

glitterbabe 01-12-2009 03:18 AM

I've always wanted to know this. Thanks Lynn!

debils 01-12-2009 03:24 AM

I'm not really very good at 3D items but this one sounds like I can manage it. Thanks for the great challenge.

Cook22 01-12-2009 03:37 AM

I'll play along with this later, but it's one I can do in my sleep. Every pad or sheet of square paper that comes into the house, DH eyes up and says that would make a nice box...or vase...or...
So I gave him his own stash of 12x12 at Christmas. He's often made the box you are sharing with us today for me to give homemade sweets in at Christmas, and there are abut 5 of them in my room here containing things like scraps of ribbon, unmounted stamps, small things that might be useful, and so on. It will be nice to make one just for fun, a pretty one, not a DH-type one, LOL.

NANCYRUTH 01-12-2009 04:08 AM

ohhhh i am definitely struggling but am gonna keep at it.....

okcapitolgirl 01-12-2009 04:10 AM

My mojo is so off these days - maybe a new technique would get it back on track!

Lynn in St. Louis 01-12-2009 04:10 AM

What part are you having problems with Nancy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYRUTH (Post 12686053)
ohhhh i am definitely struggling but am gonna keep at it.....

designlady 01-12-2009 04:12 AM

Oooohhh, 3-D! Thanks for the challenge, I hope to get started this morning.

pegmac71 01-12-2009 04:13 AM

I made the box this morning but the stamping part will have to wait till I get off from work. Great challenge!

lacyquilter 01-12-2009 04:19 AM

Looks like fun. And thanks for adding the email notice thread, Lynn.

BrandiP 01-12-2009 04:26 AM

Looks like fun! I can't wait to try this later! Thanks for the challenge and the gorgeous sample for inspiration!

CRials 01-12-2009 04:27 AM

I need something for a small going-away present--this was perfect!!
Box closed: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=157593

box opened: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=157593

DawnL 01-12-2009 04:38 AM

cool!! thanks Lynn!

n5stamper 01-12-2009 04:52 AM

Oh Poo, I do not have any chipboard. May have to sit this one out and just ooohhh and aaahhh at everyone elses creations.

artystamper 01-12-2009 04:53 AM

I love boxes! haven't tried this one yet - guess supper will be late tonight!!

lacyquilter 01-12-2009 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n5stamper (Post 12686306)
Oh Poo, I do not have any chipboard. May have to sit this one out and just ooohhh and aaahhh at everyone elses creations.

For chipboard, anything like a cereal box, pasta box, gift box, backing from toy packages, backing from a legal pad, etc. works great. You do not need to purchase chipboard.

Or simply glue several layers of card stock together.

TreasureOiler 01-12-2009 04:57 AM

Thanks Lynn! This is a fun one!! Will play after I get my daughter off to school

Lynn in St. Louis 01-12-2009 04:57 AM

Good point Melody. I used the back of a note pad for mine. I don't think that I have ever bought chipboard (unless you count the kind that is die cut into shapes) :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacyquilter (Post 12686327)
For chipboard, anything like a cereal box, pasta box, gift box, backing from toy packages, backing from a legal pad, etc. works great. You do not need to purchase chipboard.

TreasureOiler 01-12-2009 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacyquilter (Post 12686327)

Great samples...even the piece that comes in the SU! dsp packs work good too!

momofour26 01-12-2009 04:58 AM

something I can do!! Woo Hoo!

GardenDiva 01-12-2009 05:00 AM

Lynn.....I love paper folding. I have some really pretty Valentine paper from Cord Camera that I think will work for the outside of this box. Would make great little party favors or Valentine present packages.
I'm cleaning my craft room...yukkkk....this will be the 3rd day...yes 3rd day...but I'm organizing snippest of card stock by colors and lots of totally insane things. So will be back in a while with my box...hopefully !! HA HA

cher2008 01-12-2009 05:07 AM

Is there a way to view the measurements on this, I didnt see any? Thank you :)

Hugs,

Cheryl

CRials 01-12-2009 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenDiva (Post 12686359)
Lynn.....I love paper folding. I have some really pretty Valentine paper from Cord Camera that I think will work for the outside of this box. Would make great little party favors or Valentine present packages.
I'm cleaning my craft room...yukkkk....this will be the 3rd day...yes 3rd day...but I'm organizing snippest of card stock by colors and lots of totally insane things. So will be back in a while with my box...hopefully !! HA HA

You want to come do mine when you finish yours??????

eured99 01-12-2009 05:09 AM

Lynn, this is awesome.....I have to take my car to the shop this morning....grr.. but I will play when I get home....TY!

yellowrose46 01-12-2009 05:13 AM

Lynn, what's the finished size of this box?

Lynn in St. Louis 01-12-2009 05:14 AM

Reorganization is not something I enjoy doing, so I usually put it off...lol Good for you and I'm sure you will be happy that you did it - once you're done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenDiva (Post 12686359)

Lynn in St. Louis 01-12-2009 05:18 AM

I'm at work right now...but if I recall, the finished box is 4 X 4. (someone correct me if I am mistaken.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowrose46 (Post 12686473)
Lynn, what's the finished size of this box?

Lynn in St. Louis 01-12-2009 05:18 AM

Really...don't you think she could make it a full time job by doing this for us??? :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRials (Post 12686429)
You want to come do mine when you finish yours??????

creampuff 01-12-2009 05:42 AM

It took me a few minutes to figure out the instructions but I actually did it!! I don't usually play along with paper folding because i am not a very good 2 dimensional instruction follower, KWIM? So it took a couple of minutes to figure out that I had to actually fold the first picture before I made the scores on the second one, etc. and then to open it all up to finish it, anyone else have that problem or am I the only dummy?

letmecrop 01-12-2009 05:44 AM

thanks for the awesome challenge today. I needed some handmade items for some swaps and this will be great for one of them.

I have my box and cover made, but have to work for awhile before I can decide how to decorate it. I will try and upload sometime today.

Happy Monday

Lynn in St. Louis 01-12-2009 05:47 AM

It's VERY rare when I can successfully do a new fold on the first try. My waste basket is usually full of scrap paper when I'm learning something new. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by creampuff (Post 12686776)
It took me a few minutes to figure out the instructions but I actually did it!! I don't usually play along with paper folding because i am not a very good 2 dimensional instruction follower, KWIM? So it took a couple of minutes to figure out that I had to actually fold the first picture before I made the scores on the second one, etc. and then to open it all up to finish it, anyone else have that problem or am I the only dummy?

taca410 01-12-2009 05:53 AM

I don't believe I've ever done a technique challenge, but I think I'll give this one a go try. Wish me luck.

dawnmercedes 01-12-2009 05:59 AM

this was a tricky one to photograph!

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=29188