Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Technique Lover's Challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/)
-   -   TLC197 Speckled Backgrounds (12-1-08) (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/tlc197-speckled-backgrounds-12-1-08-a-401470/)

Lynn in St. Louis 12-01-2008 01:49 AM

TLC197 Speckled Backgrounds (12-1-08)

Hello Technique lovers. I hope that everyone (in the US) has recovered from the long holiday weekend, and are ready to jump full on into the Christmas season. Whew...the list of things to do are mammoth, but today's "Simple" technique will have you creating one-of-a-kind backgrounds in no time.

For today's technique you will need:

Glossy Cardstock (regular cardstock can be used, but I don't think the effect is nearly as dramatic)
Ink (either several coordinating colors or a spectrum ink pad)
Sponge Brayer or you can sponge the ink on if you don't have a brayer
Simple Green Cleaner
Spritzer bottle

I first learned about this technique from the Technique Guru herself, Pat Huntoon, back in April. Where she ever came up with the idea to use Simple Green in crafting is beyond me, but serves as an example of just how many household items we can use to create unique crafting techniques.
  • First gather your glossy cardstock and apply your ink colors either using your brayer, or sponging on your ink. Try not to overlay colors on top of one another, to avoid "muddying" the ink.
  • Next, put a little Simple Green Cleaner into a spritzer bottle. If you don't have a spritzer bottle, you can put a little into a bowl and tip your fingers into the bowl and flick the cleaner onto your inked glossy cardstock, leaving some droplets on the cardstock...you'll see the effect right away.
  • Let your cardstock dry and then proceed to finish your card as you normally would. Viola...you have a fabulous one-of-a-kind base for the rest of your card.
  • Now you can either stamp directly onto your cardstock, or use it as a background for other images. (as I have done)
Why not experiment a little and try dipping a sea sponge into the Simple Green and dab onto your inked cardstock...or find another way to apply by using "out of the ordinary" items...I'm anxious to see all the different ways you will come up with to expand this technique.

This technique is "simple", quick and can really give you a wide variety of looks. Hope you'll give it a try.

To see my sample using this technique, CLICK HERE.

To see all the samples of this technique, CLICK HERE.

Hint for next week: We will light the night, so get your wine glass, some vellum cardstock and a few punches. (curious?)

Vicky Gould 12-01-2008 01:56 AM

Well, isn't this interesting - no Simple Green here, but will be watching that gallery grow! Thanks, Lynn - will have to try this one another time!

angelladcrockett 12-01-2008 02:05 AM

Ooooh....can't wait to try this.....hope we've got some Simple Green left! Thanks Lynn for another great challenge and awesome sample!!!

bambi64 12-01-2008 02:08 AM

Love my simple green... to clean my stamps with that is.. never for household cleaning ;) Will have to try this later on. Thanks, Lynn.

Kittykat 12-01-2008 02:13 AM

I've also heard that simple green is great for cleaning your stamps. I've got a whole bottle I'll have to try this technique :)

NANCYRUTH 12-01-2008 02:14 AM

thanks Lynn! Looks GREAT!

papermoon04 12-01-2008 02:21 AM

No Simple Green here either, looks like a fun technique though!

sumtoy 12-01-2008 02:50 AM

No simple green here either...SOOOOOO I used copic markers on glossy cardstock and spritzed it with rubbing alcohol....kinda has the same effect. I really didnt want to color in the adorable giraffe as I wanted the background to show.

Heres mine

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=90220

Marleygo 12-01-2008 02:51 AM

Can't play today, but I will look at gallery tonight and see what awesome ideas people came up with. Have a GREAT and safe day!!!!!

etsdas 12-01-2008 03:03 AM

I think I have this figured out, but I do need a clarification. The ink covers the entire surface of the cs, right? (before spritzing the simple Green). Does it have to dry before spritzing?

Lynn in St. Louis 12-01-2008 03:18 AM

Yes, cover your cardstock with ink first. I just went right from applying color on the cardstock, to spritzing. I'm looking forward to seeing your creation!

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdas (Post 12225747)
I think I have this figured out, but I do need a clarification. The ink covers the entire surface of the cs, right? (before spritzing the simple Green). Does it have to dry before spritzing?

Cook22 12-01-2008 03:23 AM

Any other equivalents to Simple Green? Usually I know what way I can improvise, but that's something I've never heard of except in all the threads on cleaning stamps.
And I presume that's pigment ink, if I do work out something I can use? Hope I can, the effect in yours is just so lovely!!

glitterbabe 12-01-2008 03:26 AM

What a great challenge, Lynn. Boy, you never cease to amaze me! This is so out of the box for me, but hey, that's what gets me going. I'm off to play!

Stef H

eured99 12-01-2008 03:28 AM

Here we go again......let me gather my things....hope I don't make too big of a mess with this one, Lynn! :D

Lynn in St. Louis 12-01-2008 03:45 AM

I used classic ink, not pigment...and as for an equivalent to Simiple Green, I'm clueless. Sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22 (Post 12225806)
Any other equivalents to Simple Green? Usually I know what way I can improvise, but that's something I've never heard of except in all the threads on cleaning stamps.
And I presume that's pigment ink, if I do work out something I can use? Hope I can, the effect in yours is just so lovely!!

Toy 12-01-2008 03:46 AM

Cool challenge, Lynn :)

Here is mine:

~Peace & Joy~

TFL!~

NANCYRUTH 12-01-2008 03:51 AM

thanks Lynn! http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=42694

kellyjg 12-01-2008 04:01 AM

I'm off to check my cleaning closet... dunno if I have Simple Green. he he.. does that mean I don't clean often if I'm not sure whether I even have it. he.

Great technique (again,) Lynn!

va.sunshine 12-01-2008 04:06 AM

here is mine:

Speckled Snow

Vicky Gould 12-01-2008 04:06 AM

I've been gone for a week and am in withdrawal, so I had to try this challenge - no Simple Green here, but I used Mean Green from the Dollar store and it did mute the colors and make some splotches which I hope will show up! Here's my

Mama Says

Thanks for looking and/or commenting. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

justtieszen 12-01-2008 04:19 AM

Sounds like fun, I don't think I have tried this before thanks for refreshing my memory that it is out there.:mrgreen:

DawnL 12-01-2008 04:20 AM

Cool! Thanks Lynn!

kellyjg 12-01-2008 04:24 AM

I have it! I have it! Simple Green! I thought I had seen some of this in my cleaning closet... once upon a time. Off to play!

dancerriley 12-01-2008 04:26 AM

darn... no simple green cleaner here either :(

KY Southern Belle 12-01-2008 04:28 AM

This looks like fun. My work schedule is really heavy until January 3 and I'm mandatory on-call, the only person on-call for my job, until January 3 too; so if you don't see me around much, that's why. I'll try to do as many challenges as I can to keep up with y'all. In the meantime, I hope to try this one later today or at least some time this week, but I hope that all of you have a great day.

cullenwr 12-01-2008 04:29 AM

Simple Green??? Never heard of it! Guess I must live in a cave. :-) Will have to sit this one out unless someone knows of a substitute. In the meantime, I'll go carve on my cave walls and sharpen up my club.

tobaby 12-01-2008 04:48 AM

Sounds like fun - but I will have to try to find Simple Green (never heard of it), but found the website that said where I can buy it - http://www.simplegreen.com/shopping_where_to_buy.php

Hope to be able to play today.

brandilovesctmh 12-01-2008 04:56 AM

I have a cleaner called Green Works. I don't know if it is the same sort of cleaner as Simple Green - does anyone else?

Visit my blog www.sparkleshimmerandtwinkle.blogspot.com - I just posted a lot of Christmas cards!! Happy Holidays!

Lynn in St. Louis 12-01-2008 05:00 AM

I'm at work now, and can't look at the ingredients in my Simple Green. You can always try it and see what happens. :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandilovesctmh (Post 12226336)
I have a cleaner called Green Works. I don't know if it is the same sort of cleaner as Simple Green - does anyone else?

Visit my blog www.sparkleshimmerandtwinkle.blogspot.com - I just posted a lot of Christmas cards!! Happy Holidays!

Stampinsilvia 12-01-2008 05:23 AM

What is simple green?

allee's 12-01-2008 05:23 AM

Boy, that Simple Green is good for everything!!

Here is my Tie-dyed Christmas.

Lynn in St. Louis 12-01-2008 05:24 AM

It's a household cleaner, found at most grocery stores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampinsilvia (Post 12226550)
What is simple green?

glitterbabe 12-01-2008 05:31 AM

Well, I didn't have Simple Green either so I used Hydrogen Peroxide. I think it did the trick!

Here's my card...... Speckled Birthday

TFL!

Stef H

kandicejo 12-01-2008 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. Louis (Post 12225620)
[SIZE=3]]

I first learned about this technique from the Technique Guru herself, Pat Huntoon, back in April. Where she ever came up with the idea to use Simple Green in crafting is beyond me, but serves as an example of just how many household items we can use to create unique crafting techniques.

she probably spilled the cleaner while she was stamping - and a technique was born LOL!

I just used the last of my gallon jug of simple green. i do have a new household cleaner spray by simple green company, i'll have to see if that works the same. thanks lynn!

markie's mom 12-01-2008 06:06 AM

Hi! Well...I THOUGHT I was using Simple Green, but I grabbed the Greased Lightening instead... Guess what??? I got the same results! LOL!

I wanted to make a FUNNY Holiday card for a Jewish friend who always says, "You have Santa...I have the Blue Frog!" Well...I couldn't let that slip past, now could I? LOL!

Here's today's submission

DawnL 12-01-2008 06:08 AM

here's mine

I think any 'friendly' cleaner will work, I tried it with Clorox Green Works and it worked fine! Although I did use SG on this card

Shadow's Mom 12-01-2008 06:25 AM

Cool technique Lynn! Thanks!

Here's mine:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=149855

kellyjg 12-01-2008 06:34 AM

Love how easy this technique is! Here is my

POINSETTIAS

bambi64 12-01-2008 06:46 AM

Here is my card. Wasn't sure if I'd like it but now I'm loving it. Thanks again, Lynn.

Speckled Skater's Pond

Kim Hughes 12-01-2008 07:09 AM

none of that product here either...if I ever buy it, I will remember this challenge Lynn :)