Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Technique Lover's Challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/)
-   -   TLC181 Stained Glass 8/11/08 (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/tlc181-stained-glass-8-11-08-a-372057/)

Lynn in St. Louis 08-11-2008 02:24 AM

TLC181 Stained Glass 8/11/08

TLC 181 -

Today is my first week of hosting the Technique Lovers Challenge, so I hope you will be gentle with me…lol. I can never hope to fill the void that Beth leaves after 180 amazing challenges, but I will do my best to bring you challenges that you enjoy and that will inspire you to try something that perhaps is new to you.

On with the challenge...
We are all familiar with Acetate cards, but today I bring you a challenge that puts a little twist on the traditional Acetate card. This technique is called the Stained Glass Technique and it’s easy to do, but provides a big WOW! I was reminded of this technique while blurffing and I ran across Andrea Walford’s blog. Andrea’s design was a bit different, but she had some wonderful tips and suggestions. Thanks Andrea for the idea!

Please don’t let the length of this post scare you. All the directions are included in this post.

Take a look at my sample before you go onto the directions. Seeing it before you begin will help with the process. ;)

Here’s what you will need:

Card Dimensions: 4-1/4” X 11, scored and folded in half.
Single Piece of cardstock piece to create the interior frame 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
White or light colored cardstock for inside mat
Piece of Acetate measuring 4-1/8” x 5-3/8”

Supplies:
  • Stamps (images that have some open spaces for coloring work best)
  • Classic Re-inkers
  • Black Stazon
  • Crystal Effects, Glossy Accents or equivalent
  • A palette to mix inks with Crystal Effects (a piece of wax paper, or empty egg crate will work)
  • Small paintbrush
  • Paper trimmer or craft knife/cutting mat
  • Adhesive
Step 1: Create your front window by cutting in 1/2" on all 4 sides of the card front.
Step 2: Repeat Step 1 with your 4-1/4 X 5-1/2” piece (interior frame)
Step 3: Adhere your White or light cardstock to the inside of your card
Step 4: Using a pencil, with your card closed (from the front) make a mark (using your frame as a guide) on your white or light colored cardstock where you will be stamping your sentiment. This will be a guide when you stamp your sentiment…you don’t want it covered up by your frame…you want EVERYONE to see it.
Step 5: Stamp your sentiment onto the light color cardstock (using your pencil marks for a placement guide)
Step 6: Using your Stazon, stamp your images onto the acetate (remember not to stamp over the area where your sentiment will show through). Let dry.
Step 7: On your palette, mixing one color at a time, combine about a dime sized amount of Crystal Effects to 1 drop of re-inker and stir, mixing color with a toothpick or the straightened end of a paper-clip.
Step 8: Using your paintbrush dab your re-inker/Crystal Effects mix into the open areas that you want to color (on the opposite side on which you stamped). The thicker the amount of color, the better the effect you will get. You will need adequate drying time for this, however. Be patient…it will be worth the wait.
Step 9: Once your acetate piece is dry, adhere the piece to the inside of the front flap of your card. You may use sticky tape, but my regular adhesive worked fine. Don’t worry about how the adhesive looks through the acetate because you will cover it up in the next step.
Step 10: Adhere the frame that you cut earlier to the back side of the front of the card. Watch your alignment so that you don’t see the back frame from the front of the card. (You probably already know how I discovered this tip!)
Step 11: Done, now sit back and admire the awesome job you did!

Additional: If you want space to write a note, you can always adhere another piece of cardstock onto the back of the card, or follow Andrea’s layout.

Again, you can find my samples:
HERE and HERE

Please use keyword TLC181 when you upload.

TLC181 Gallery

NANCYRUTH 08-11-2008 02:30 AM

looks complex and fun!!

NANCYRUTH 08-11-2008 02:32 AM

oh and thanks for posting early lynn, much appreciated by this working out of the house girl!!

Lynn in St. Louis 08-11-2008 02:39 AM

It only looks that way...it's really not that difficult. When you type directions you have to had every little step and that makes it look more involved than it really is. :)

Cut opening
stamp acetate
color
put together
...see, simple...lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYRUTH (Post 10877523)
looks complex and fun!!

KY Southern Belle 08-11-2008 02:43 AM

Welcome Lynn and thank you. I'm afraid, very afraid. I don't do well when my box sides are being pounded on! :-D I'll see what disaster I can come up with. Love your directions because I need that hand-holding.

Ugh, just re-read the directions and don't have anything in your mouth when you read this, but what's acetate?

Lynn in St. Louis 08-11-2008 02:47 AM

Fear not...you will do well my padiwan (lame Star Wars reference)...lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern Belle (Post 10877556)
Welcome Lynn and thank you. I'm afraid, very afraid. I don't do well when my box sides are being pounded on! :-D I'll see what disaster I can come up with. Love your directions because I need that hand-holding.

suffolkstamper 08-11-2008 02:52 AM

ooh something to get my "teeth" into - thanks so much - now i dont have any re-inkers so im going to try alcohol inks and see how that works!

MelodyGal 08-11-2008 02:54 AM

I'm such a terrible painter! I'll try anyway--you just may not see my results. ;) Thanks for the challenge.

~CA~ 08-11-2008 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern Belle (Post 10877556)

Ugh, just re-read the directions and don't have anything in your mouth when you read this, but what's acetate?

You can get sheets of regular acetate (clear plastic) or you can use transparancy sheets (overhead projector thingies). I think you can still get transparancies at WalMart in the office supplies section. You could go to an office supply store and find them too. Also, you can cut up page protectors and use that plastic; any clear plastic sheets work fine. ~That's just my two cents worth!~ Thanks, Lynn, for the challenge, and your cards look great!!!

stampingcaj 08-11-2008 03:06 AM

...subscribing to look at in detail later! Thanks - interesting technique and beautiful cards!

alicaz 08-11-2008 03:31 AM

I would love to try but I don't have the crystal effects glue..is there anything else I can use instead... stickles or regular glue?

Vicky Gould 08-11-2008 03:33 AM

Welcome, Lynn - and thanks for posting early!! Sounds interesting - will be back after I help out with Bible Camp this morning to try it out. Have a great day!

stampkinz 08-11-2008 03:50 AM

This a new technique for me!

Clownmom 08-11-2008 03:52 AM

Sounds like fun, Lynn. You're making a splash with your first technique. I won't be able to try this until after work, but I'll give it a shot!

marilynprestonn 08-11-2008 03:53 AM

What a technique.

My daughter will love getting her fingers in this, especially the stazon. Will try it later on. Welcome Lynn!

bensarmom 08-11-2008 03:54 AM

Oh boy this looks like what it is, a challenge and I'm UP for the challenge AFTER I have my cup o' java. Thanks Lynn and welcome!

NANCYRUTH 08-11-2008 04:12 AM

yes, it really was not so complex! Here is mine, Stained Glass disater!! http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...14314?cat=3939

debhorst 08-11-2008 04:14 AM

Welcome, Lynn!! Thanks for being willing to bring us new techniques that will inspire us and keep us challenged. I look forward to seeing what you bring to us--today was a great start!!

Here is my card for today: Happy 40th Marg

It is really hard to take pictures for this type of card--can't seem to get away from the glare!!

jlmhen 08-11-2008 04:19 AM

Welcome Lynn! Thanks for the fantastic challenge. I can't wait to get to my table.

MariLynn 08-11-2008 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYRUTH (Post 10877526)
oh and thanks for posting early lynn, much appreciated by this working out of the house girl!!

As another working girl I ditto Nancy's thanks. Looks like a really fun technique.:-D

TreasureOiler 08-11-2008 04:26 AM

Welcome Lynn, I look forward to seeing what you will have for us each Monday!!!

I don't think I have any acetate left but that gives me a good excuse to shop today ;) haha!

thanks for the inspiration too!

stampinmomnh 08-11-2008 04:27 AM

Ooooooh, this looks like lot's of fun!Can't wait.

MariaMatter 08-11-2008 04:28 AM

Love the early post, thank you Lynn!!! Welcome, you're off to a good start, this really does look like a challenge for me! I needed something different~and this looks just right! Thanks again!!!

Biggan 08-11-2008 04:39 AM

Thanks for the challenge! It was a great one! :D

Here�s mine! TFL!

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=125756

Birgit/Biggan

showmestamper 08-11-2008 04:40 AM

WOWWWEEEE! Lynn, what an awesome technique to start your tenure as TLC hostess! Congratulations, and a sincere YOU GO, GIRL!! :-D :-D :-D

I'm looking forward to seeing all the beautiful creations!

Cook22 08-11-2008 04:50 AM

This sounds fun. No re-inkers, but I've mixed alcohol ink with Glossy Accents before and got good results - and I even have some glass and tile paint, so I'll defnitely give this a go later on.

lorettal 08-11-2008 04:53 AM

This looks really interesting. I'll give it a go, but won't be able to post until tonight.

lacyquilter 08-11-2008 05:04 AM

Sounds like a great challenge. Thanks, Lynn.

n5stamper 08-11-2008 05:04 AM

Lynn this sounds fun, I am away at the beach and will have to try this tonight or tomorrow. Can't wait

artystamper 08-11-2008 05:08 AM

Great first challenge Lynn! this looks like fun!

BadSherry 08-11-2008 05:26 AM

WOW Lynn, CONGRATS! I have to admit I was shocked out of my shoes when I saw that Beth was leaving. I had to go back and read last week's challenge thread.

YOU GO GIRL -- I know you'll bring some exciting things for this group of challenge junkies!

markie's mom 08-11-2008 05:29 AM

Lynn, this is a fabulous technique....However, I have very little patience when it comes to waiting. So, while I waited for the Crystal Effects to dry, I did laundry, and washed dishes, and straightened the living room, and vacuumed, and cleaned my stampin' room....I do not like to wait because it makes me feel guilty, so I do housework....GRRRRR! I dislike housework more than waiting! LOL!

I have never tried this technique, and I LOVE it!!!! (Except the waiting and cleaning part, of course! LOL!)

Here's today's submission:http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...ords&si=TLC181

dawnmercedes 08-11-2008 05:34 AM

I love using acetate...so I will be sure to make this one...

and like Faith, I'll be cleaning in between steps/drying time! haha

Lynn in St. Louis 08-11-2008 05:39 AM

I had no idea of the bonus (house cleaning) that would result from this challenge....lolhttp://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/vacuumsm.gif

javagirl984 08-11-2008 05:48 AM

Great challenge. I am wondering if there is something we can use in place of CE. I don't have CE, but would like to try this challenge.

amf1066 08-11-2008 05:48 AM

I will be trying this out!! Looks fantastic!! Welcome to the TLC as the new hostess Lynn!!!

AmylovesNormaJean 08-11-2008 05:49 AM

OMG! I'm so excited! What a great challenge. I've never done this before, but the results look beautiful and I'm dieing to try it. I only have 2 reinkers though, so I'll be limited in my design, but I'll give it a go anyway. Thanks so much for this great challenge.

Lynn in St. Louis 08-11-2008 05:52 AM

I actually used Ranger's Glossy Accents, and I think there are other companies that make similar products...ladies, chime in here if you have an alternative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984 (Post 10878871)
Great challenge. I am wondering if there is something we can use in place of CE. I don't have CE, but would like to try this challenge.

Mary56 08-11-2008 05:55 AM

Welcome to the madhouse Lynn! Thanks for something new and exciting!

star 08-11-2008 05:58 AM

Thanks Lynn! This looks like one I would love to try....but first!! Need to feed the kiddos and FIND my desk (this one could be messy, don't think that a 2" space will work for this one!! hehe!!)