Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #241
Stazon Splitcoast

From skimming thru here, not really reading everything, I just moved in yesterday and am in the middle of a disaster...anyway remember ASD kiddos have what is called 'splinter skills' and these skills will be different for many kiddos. while a high percentage may seem to be the 'same' you always have your kiddos whose splinter skills are very different from the 'typical' ASD kiddo. Your DS could very well be more advanced than typically seen in ASD kiddos in some areas...also the diagnosis could be in place to ensure that he receives the services that he needs the most. Many times I see and hear Dr's giving a generalized diagnosis to be sure that families get the services that they need and may not qualify for otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtLvr View Post
We went to the neurologist Friday. Drove through the 8" of snow and all just to see him. Boy were the roads slippery!

Anyway, we were the only ones at his office. He gave his staff the day off due to the weather. Ds1 was his normal self; did exactly all the things he would have done if we were at home. Honestly, ds1 was being very good. He even had a cold w/a slight sore throat.

He diagnosted ds1 with Autistic Spectrum Disorder; not quite Asperger's and not quite PDD...somewhere in between. I find this rather curious. From what I've read on each, they lack the ablility to ingage in make-believe play. Ds1 is ALL about make-believe play and is highly imaginative. He is affectionate and shows true concern for me, his brother, and his daddy whenever something is wrong. He's also makes friends where ever he goes. I guess it's because he's so easy and layed back. I don't know... I'm not upset, mad, or sad. I just don't agree completely.

He's recommended ds1 see the school psychologist and wants him to receive more help in social skill and communicative skills. I don't want to argue against that b/c I completely agree he needs more help. But I'm not quite sure he fits into the "label" he's given ds1.

Ds1 has issues, no doubt. His recommendations will be useful for ds1. But I don't completely agree with this diagnosis.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #242
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Dorinda. I just missed you posting b/c I sent you a PM.

Right now ds1 gets services for his language issue (2x/week) and for fine and gross moter skill (1x/week). He goes to school 3x a week. I just got an e-mail from his preschool teacher wanted to update his IEP b/c it's about to "expire". What timing...
Old 02-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #243
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorinda View Post
From skimming thru here, not really reading everything, I just moved in yesterday and am in the middle of a disaster...anyway remember ASD kiddos have what is called 'splinter skills' and these skills will be different for many kiddos. while a high percentage may seem to be the 'same' you always have your kiddos whose splinter skills are very different from the 'typical' ASD kiddo. Your DS could very well be more advanced than typically seen in ASD kiddos in some areas...also the diagnosis could be in place to ensure that he receives the services that he needs the most. Many times I see and hear Dr's giving a generalized diagnosis to be sure that families get the services that they need and may not qualify for otherwise.
i'm in no hurry...please, by all means get yourself settled in and come back when things are not so crazy.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #244
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hi Dorinda. I just missed you posting b/c I sent you a PM.

Right now ds1 gets services for his language issue (2x/week) and for fine and gross moter skill (1x/week). He goes to school 3x a week. I just got an e-mail from his preschool teacher wanted to update his IEP b/c it's about to "expire". What timing...
Also your son may be a high functioning ASD kiddo not quite Aspy but much higher than most.
what kind of imaginative play does he engage in may I ask? How are his play skills in a group or with other kiddos?

Old 02-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #245
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
i'm in no hurry...please, by all means get yourself settled in and come back when things are not so crazy.
This is actually a welcome distraction from all the chores surrounding me at the moment

Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #246
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

We had a fun morning. My DD likes to lay full-out on the floor... now she has taught all the little kids at Kindermusik to do the same. The poor teacher!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #247
down and digi

DS is resisting his new pencil grip at school. The teacher told me she would stay on him to use it, but at the end of the day he tells me he isn't using it. It's a really good one, it's easy to use and it will definitely help him. The teacher agrees that once he gets his grip corrected, he will have an easier time printing, have less fatique and will be willing to print more - plus it will be neater. I just wish we could get him to use it

Also, he loves his weighted turtle for his lap! Wow! Does he ever love it! The teachers have noticed a change in him when he uses it too! Yay!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #248
Stazon Splitcoast

K2
try some thera-putty for you DS to play with at home, it will help strengthen his fingers, wrist and hands will will lead to improved fine motor skills.
Have him squeeze it in one hand and bury pennies in it, small objects for him to dig out of it..also have him use his dominant hand to push a marker(capped) into it///he can pinch it, roll it do what he would do with play dough...this can be purchased at a place for OT type products or talk to an OT if there is one at your school abou getting some for him

Old 02-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #249
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2stampers View Post
DS is resisting his new pencil grip at school. The teacher told me she would stay on him to use it, but at the end of the day he tells me he isn't using it. It's a really good one, it's easy to use and it will definitely help him. The teacher agrees that once he gets his grip corrected, he will have an easier time printing, have less fatique and will be willing to print more - plus it will be neater. I just wish we could get him to use it
Do you have a teacher/learning supply store near you where he can try several types? My son was able to try three and picked one as being the most comfortable - he hated the other two.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #250
down and digi

Thanks Alyson and Dorinda!

I had really hoped he would like this pencil grip because it is the perfect grip and it's easy to find the correct placement. DD's teacher bought a few at the same time and she said that she gave it to 2 students and one loves it, while the other hates it. I guess my DS falls into the `hates it' group. I will try to find others at the teacher supply store.

Dorinda, I have heard of thera putty, but I didn't know what it was for. Thanks for the advice! Does plasticine work in the same way? It's probably easier to find - esp since I have some in the kitchen. LOL
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #251
down and digi

I am so angry at DH at the moment!

We got a test home from school today for DS's math class and he got everything right, but the comments were that he struggles to sit still and needs continual reminders to stay on task. Really?!!? DH's reaction is that we need to come down on him for goofing off and not paying attention. I think I have been talking to a wall for the past 3 years regarding SPD.

Also, he is insisting that we enroll DS in soccer. DS hates the game because he cannot figure out his role and how he is supposed to join the play. He eventually ends up sitting down somewhere. How is this a learning experience? I would think he has enough opportunities in life for feeling left out - we don't need to give him one more.

Dh just left in a huff to play hockey (the other sport he wants DS to play).

Oh, and to really top of my day, DS had his first real experience of bullying today. DS spent a lot of the evening crying and feeling totally ashamed of himself. He feels better now and knows how to handle himself in the future. He understands better why people bully and that they are simply insecure and sad, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the person being bullied. He feels a lot more confident about going to school tomorrow, but he is still embarassed and going back. I want to cry right now.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 AM   #252
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thanks Alyson and Dorinda!

I had really hoped he would like this pencil grip because it is the perfect grip and it's easy to find the correct placement. DD's teacher bought a few at the same time and she said that she gave it to 2 students and one loves it, while the other hates it. I guess my DS falls into the `hates it' group. I will try to find others at the teacher supply store.

Dorinda, I have heard of thera putty, but I didn't know what it was for. Thanks for the advice! Does plasticine work in the same way? It's probably easier to find - esp since I have some in the kitchen. LOL
It is worth a try for sure.
here is a link to thera putty

http://www.amazon.com/Cando-Theraput.../dp/B000AYDWZQ

Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #253

Quote:
I want to cry right now.
I'm so sorry on both counts... the non-supportive DH in denial and the bully at school. Not a good day. Hopefully tomorrow is better for you. I know it feels rotten, but it's better in the long run for your kid to be picked on than the one doing the picking, don't you think? Hopefully it helps him grow up into a sensitive, responsible adult instead of that other kid, who's likely to grow up into a real jerk if no one calls him on it.

As far as the DH goes, I just keep giving mine books and articles (not that he reads them, but at least he knows it;s a real condition with research and everything) and feeding him tidbits of info at a time. I wish he would go to a session with us, I think his eyes would be opened. I think he honestly does care... I just don't know why it all falls to me to figure it out and get her what she needs. Is that a man thing, you think? he's just used to bowing to my authority in all matters of child rearing, so this falls in that category?

I found a business card for that SPD chapter that meets in my town--gotta figure out where I stashed it and give them a call.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #254
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie View Post
I'm so sorry on both counts... the non-supportive DH in denial and the bully at school. Not a good day. Hopefully tomorrow is better for you. I know it feels rotten, but it's better in the long run for your kid to be picked on than the one doing the picking, don't you think? Hopefully it helps him grow up into a sensitive, responsible adult instead of that other kid, who's likely to grow up into a real jerk if no one calls him on it.

As far as the DH goes, I just keep giving mine books and articles (not that he reads them, but at least he knows it;s a real condition with research and everything) and feeding him tidbits of info at a time. I wish he would go to a session with us, I think his eyes would be opened. I think he honestly does care... I just don't know why it all falls to me to figure it out and get her what she needs. Is that a man thing, you think? he's just used to bowing to my authority in all matters of child rearing, so this falls in that category?

I found a business card for that SPD chapter that meets in my town--gotta figure out where I stashed it and give them a call.

I don't about this man thing.

I agree that DS will grow up to be a very senstive man. I can see that already. If I don't handle it correctly though, bullying will destroy his self-esteem. I bought the book by Barbara Coloroso today about bullies. I am going to read it tomorrow to try to figure out how to handle this.

DS was kicked today by the same boy who teased him yesterday.

We are going out of town on Tuesday, so I am hoping that by him leaving school for 1 1/2 weeks it may break the beginnings of this pattern that is starting.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #255
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I don't about this man thing.

I agree that DS will grow up to be a very senstive man. I can see that already. If I don't handle it correctly though, bullying will destroy his self-esteem. I bought the book by Barbara Coloroso today about bullies. I am going to read it tomorrow to try to figure out how to handle this.

DS was kicked today by the same boy who teased him yesterday.

We are going out of town on Tuesday, so I am hoping that by him leaving school for 1 1/2 weeks it may break the beginnings of this pattern that is starting.
Yikes! This isn't sounding like a good situation at all...

Can I second or third, or whatever the unsupportive DH comments? I came home the other night from a meeting and DH was sitting there playing the wii, my younger son was playing computer games, and Zachary was sitting in the middle at the kitchen table trying to do his homework. He couldn't focus at all with the two different video games going on within 15 feet of him and I glared at DH who, instead of turning off his game, just told my son to get his homework done numerous times.

Hello? This kid can barely focus long enough to brush his own teeth and DH thinks he can play a video game behind him and just tell him to do his homework? Duh.

Karen, if it's any consolation, my son really disliked soccer his first year, but we waited a couple of years and he really enjoyed it this last time.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #256
down and digi

There was no bullying on Friday and the teacher confronted the child.

The child that bullied DS seemed a little shocked and overwhelmed by the fact that DS had confronted him after the kicking and then the teacher called him on it as well.

We don't think it will happen again with this child. I think he learned that he doesn't have it in him to be a bully. I did read that all children will try to be a bully at least once and most find it unappealing. I have a feeling that's what was happening because this particular boy is one of the more well-adjusted kids in his class.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #257
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlicorice View Post
Karen, if it's any consolation, my son really disliked soccer his first year, but we waited a couple of years and he really enjoyed it this last time.

Thanks! That's what my DH is hoping for. Also, if he enjoyed it, I would be so happy. I enjoyed it as a child, and I think it would help him with all the skills that come with a team sport.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #258
Polyshrink Goddess

Dorinda, sorry it's been awhile since I've replied to you...had to have surgery on my knee (last Tuesday) and it was WAY more extensive than the dr thought; complete ACL replacement, cartilige removal, and some kind of alteration to the bone create false cushion that's now gone. I'm 35 and headed for knee replacement sooner than I thought. <geeze> I've got this lovely leg brace that's hip to ankle (quite a fashionable devise) and I can't bend the knee (weight baring, that is) for 6 weeks. Fun, fun, fun... Physcal Therapy is vvveeeeeerrrrryy time consuming. Thank GOD for my DH! He's being an ANGEL!

Anyway, I've been trying to keep up with ds's stuff while bed ridden. His IEP expires this month and we have an appointment with the staff at his preschool to get it updated in a couple of weeks. I've contacted the school psychologist via email to get the ball rolling for his recent diagnosis of ASD. Waiting for her reply. I wonder what she'll have to say about ds1... I'll keep you posted...when I can.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #259
down and digi

I don't know if any of you have the same issues with your kids going to sleep at night as we had, but I thought I would share.

DS used to take up to 2 hours to fall asleep each night. About a month ago I bought him a very plush body pillow and I gave it to him to sleep on. He hasn't taken more than 5 minutes to go to sleep since.

I hadn't made the connection before tonight and when we agreed to have a `sleepover' in my bed tonight, I told him that the body pillow had to stay in his room. He tried for an hour to sleep in my bed and he finally asked if he could go back to his bed. He was asleep on his pillow within minutes.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #260
Kookie Creator

My granddaughter has a few minor issues. In researching I ran across the Sensory Integration Disorder and thought, wow, that's it!! She is 3-1/2 now and is currently being evaluated by the school to see if she will need extra help.

I am confused though because it sounded so much like her when I read about it but, I am reading what you write and see a lot of "sensory seeking". I would have thought for mine that it was the other way around - she tries to avoid a lot. Her crayons barely touch the paper, she gets cranky if too much is going on at once. Heaven help us if her socks are crooked within her shoe... Is this backwards from all of yours?

So... now, I am not sure what to think. I am hoping they will get her through testing soon and give us some direction even if we are told she is just very introverted. I believe her mom thinks it is Aspergers - I just don't know. She is smart and has caught up in her speech very quickly but doesn't deal well in groups or crowds.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #261
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbycasper View Post
My granddaughter has a few minor issues. In researching I ran across the Sensory Integration Disorder and thought, wow, that's it!! She is 3-1/2 now and is currently being evaluated by the school to see if she will need extra help.

I am confused though because it sounded so much like her when I read about it but, I am reading what you write and see a lot of "sensory seeking". I would have thought for mine that it was the other way around - she tries to avoid a lot. Her crayons barely touch the paper, she gets cranky if too much is going on at once. Heaven help us if her socks are crooked within her shoe... Is this backwards from all of yours?

So... now, I am not sure what to think. I am hoping they will get her through testing soon and give us some direction even if we are told she is just very introverted. I believe her mom thinks it is Aspergers - I just don't know. She is smart and has caught up in her speech very quickly but doesn't deal well in groups or crowds.
It is definatly a sensory issue...some kids will seek a deep pressure to help them feel 'grounded' and sometimes a light touch may actually be painful for them...it is good to get an OT/PT and a good pediatric diagnosis.

My now 20 yo DS has always been picky about his socks and whenhe was little he would not take a single step until his socks were just so on his feet

Old 02-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #262
Stazon Splitcoast

http://www.kid-power.org/sid.html

this site gives a nice explanation on the diffrences between being hyper and hypo sensitive

Old 02-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #263
Polyshrink Goddess

My son definatly needs the deep pressure, and is sensory seeking. Me on the other hand, I am the exact opposite. Socks drive me nuts, I can't handle a whole lot of touch, and my sense of smell it out of control. I didn't realize that I had ans sensory issues until we were in the process of diagnosing my son that I had issues with this as well. I look back, and it explains sooo many things. But I very much avoid a lot of the sensory things that my son craves and seeks out. It's interesting here .
My blog
Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #264
Kookie Creator

Thanks - that did help and, she has/does all but the last 2 or 3 common things on their list. She does NOT liked to be touched. I kissed her once without asking and oh, boy. Not good. Now I remember to always ask. I think perhaps she must prepare herself.

I must say that all the sites I have been to are messages of good things. It seems if caught early, treatment can help a lot!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #265
Stazon Splitcoast

Just popped in to say hi, read some of the thread and want to wish you the best dealing with your SPD. I have a child with RAD and that is very hard for folks to understand, so I can 'feel' your pain! Best wishes to all of you.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #266
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggysue View Post
Just popped in to say hi, read some of the thread and want to wish you the best dealing with your SPD. I have a child with RAD and that is very hard for folks to understand, so I can 'feel' your pain! Best wishes to all of you.
((hugs)) PeggySue.....by RAD do you mean reactive attachment disorder?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #267
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, reactive attachment disorder. Our youngest lived in an orphanage until age three, came to use with no language beyond two or three words and we really have very little to no knowledge of those early years. She is six and a half now and it took us a while to figure out what was going on.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #268
Stazon Splitcoast

Big ((hugs)) Peggysue!!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #269

Quote:
Thanks - that did help and, she has/does all but the last 2 or 3 common things on their list. She does NOT liked to be touched. I kissed her once without asking and oh, boy. Not good. Now I remember to always ask. I think perhaps she must prepare herself.
You are being a GREAT grandma to have caught on to that! That is HUGE with SPD kids. You have to warn them. Everything I tell my DD to do, I tell her twice. That gives her a few extra seconds to process what I asked her to do. Since I started that, and told all her teachers to do the same, she is SO much happier and less confused. She now has time to figure out what is required before people get mad at her for not doing it!

Debby, I have one of each of the kinds of SPD kids--my son (6) is a sensory-avoider and my daughter (4) is a sensory seeker. Life is VERY interesting. Like mealtimes... DS won't eat a single bite of anything except bread, and DD has every single bite crammed in her mouth at the same time and is trying to sing at the same time and wiggling so much she's falling out of her chair!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #270
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie View Post
Does anyone have any hints for getting SPD kids to engage in Kindermusik? I actually dread going to the meetings because I am just exhausted afterwards. She won't sing for anything--although the minute we get in the car afterwards, she's singing away. She won't do the motions, not even ones she loves, like crawling, rolling, jumping, etc. She says she just wants to watch--and yet she won't stay put on my lap, either. I feel like I've been beat up by the end of the time.
I'm not quitting, because I have a chunk of money invested in it, but I'd sure love to just give up on this emotionally and physically exhausting activity.
I am way, way behind in discovering this thread. When our DS was in First Notes (also a music program for young children, but based on the Gordon Music Learning Theory), the teacher said it's very common for some children to just absorb, like sponges, and not participate, and then explore what they've learned in their own space and time.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #271
Watercolor Wizard

I think my son is both sensory seeking, and sensory avoiding. For years we had to cut all the tags out of clothes, we dealt with the sock thing, and he's still a super picky eater. But he's also super rough, always standing on my feet, punches us when he walks by, etc.

I'm interested in the body pillow idea. Lately he's taking longer and longer to fall asleep. Yesterday he had "running club" after school, so I was hoping he'd be super tired, but really, it just seemed to rev him up even more.

For those who use melatonin, how does that work? Is it in pill form?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:46 AM   #272
Kookie Creator

I will mention the body pillow to my daughter as my granddaughter does not like to go to bed, or for naps either. Also, the repeating - although I think there are times her mom is up to many, many, many repeats - especially if mom is on the phone.

I want only for my granddaughter to get extra help so she can cope better and I get from people, "What, do you WANT a diagnosis?" I don't quite know how to deal with that. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder and I would not change her a bit - even to make her more, I hate to say "normal" but not sure what else to call it. I would however, like her to have an easier time and not get so frustrated. If that means a diagnosis and extra help, then yes, I guess I do!

Well, back to bed. Very, very old dog couldn't quite wait for me to wake up on my own!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:53 AM   #273
Kookie Creator

Mine eats like four things and that's about it. Fruit, chicken, pizza and cheese. My grandson though will eat anything. He was 1 yesterday so, I guess I best get back to bed and rest up for his party today.

I can not imagine having to work with two children with these issues. I see how frazzled my DD gets just dealing with one (I think my grandson is pretty average - l like that word better than normal I think). Although, knowing what I am learning now, I think my DD has some of these issues as well and is probably having her own trouble.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #274
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I will mention the body pillow to my daughter as my granddaughter does not like to go to bed, or for naps either. Also, the repeating - although I think there are times her mom is up to many, many, many repeats - especially if mom is on the phone.

I want only for my granddaughter to get extra help so she can cope better and I get from people, "What, do you WANT a diagnosis?" I don't quite know how to deal with that. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder and I would not change her a bit - even to make her more, I hate to say "normal" but not sure what else to call it. I would however, like her to have an easier time and not get so frustrated. If that means a diagnosis and extra help, then yes, I guess I do!

Well, back to bed. Very, very old dog couldn't quite wait for me to wake up on my own!
This was tough for me too. Yes, I guess I did want a NAME for all DS's issues, instead of the "psycho, over protective mommy" label I was getting.

Seriously, though, I really felt like I was losing it, and if all kids were like DS, I couldn't figure out how so many parents had multiple children. He was so work from "son up" to "son down", that I was exhausted and on antidepressants. So many of my friends and relatives just didn't get it at all, it was nice to be able to finally explain what was going on, and to receive help with it.

I should mention that now that he's almost 7, things have gotten a lot easier. Many of his little sensitivity issues aren't as bad anymore, but we still have a long road ahead of us.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #275
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggysue View Post
Yes, reactive attachment disorder. Our youngest lived in an orphanage until age three, came to use with no language beyond two or three words and we really have very little to no knowledge of those early years. She is six and a half now and it took us a while to figure out what was going on.
Oh girl...great big hugh {{{{HUG}}}} and nothing but well wishes. I'm so glad you found that sweet baby and it now has a loving home.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #276
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Honest...not looking for pity...just venting

Ds1 was diagnosed with ASD earlier this month. Four days later I had knee surgery that has put me in this brace for a total of 6 weeks (I have 2 weeks left this Tue!!). I also have to spend the better part of my time on this CPM machine that (2hours 3x/day=6hr/day=bored out of my MIND). Soooo...My mother (who I don't get alone with very well) comes over every day to help for which I am truly grateful. I try to stay out of the way for the most part but can't help intervene from time to time b/c well they are MY kids after all.

She hates me commenting on anything. I see she’s not helping ds1 only making things more difficult. I can’t sit idly by and not say something. I try to present the issue in a polite and direct way but it never fails. Her feelings get hurt, she gets irritated, rolls her eyes at me, and loves to say “I know!”. We don’t fight per say, she acts offended and gets snippy. If I back off she views me as weak and then really won’t listen to me. The things that I say are only to make it easier for ds1 not tick her off. <ugh!>

Here’s an example…ds1 has been going around saying “I didn’t do it.” For no reason what so ever. This is a phrase I’ve heard my mother say many, many times with the kids. I’ve asked her to be careful with what she’s says not just with cuss words but other things as well. I told her ds1 doesn’t understand what that really means. She’s also in the habit of name calling. Pretty harmless ones really (like Goober) but ds1 does not understand those words are inappropriate at school.

Okay, I get that there is a bit of “reprogramming” that goes on when kids spend lots of time with their grandparents. For a typical kid it’s challenging enough. It’s just supper fun with an ASD child.

Needless to say, there’s a bit of tension in this house. Ds1 is really feeling it. Due to the fact I’m not able to do all the things I was doing before on top of all the tension, ds1 is totally out of control by the end of the day b/c he’s so overwhelmed. He doesn’t want to do the things he usually wants to do and does not want to obey. He wants to eat but doesn’t want to eat. He wants to play but doesn’t want to play. He wants to watch a video but doesn’t want to. My poor husband is tired by the time he gets home from work and doesn’t have the patience for him and I’m feeling pretty helpless b/c I can do just so much. Poor ds2 (who oddly enough I consider my “challenge” child—strong willed) is just going along for the ride. Except tonight; they BOTH decided to really give DH a hard time tonight.

These last 2 weeks just can’t seem to go by fast enough.

Thanks for listening and best wishes to you all.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #277
Stampin' Fool

I feel like I keeping hopping in here ever few weeks! How is everyone? Well I had the pleasure of contacting Amy G. from the board here and meeting Jamie too (at CHA). It is so nice to be able to talk to other moms going through the whole SPD thing. I have some happy news to report today...DD has been exhibiting some SPD tendencies along with some unrelated speech problems and after home and school observations the specialist feels she is right on target (news to my ears) and that she is mimicking DS's behaviour. Which from the sounds of your posts is the norm for siblings.
DS is still going through the daily struggles of settling into routine at school, social cues (he's still in their face), noise issues and more. He seems to be making friends at school despite his awkwardness. I feel so much more at ease about school now. He really seeks social situations and I am glad that I decided against homeschooling him this past year (although I am still thinking about it). He has been tested a few times and is scoring at the grade above for his verbal skills. His non verbal skills are at low grade level. We got his report card yesterday and he is exceeding expectations in many areas but of course is border line for writing and drawing and some social skills. He has a hard time writing due to proprioceptive issues. He physically has to slap the desk every time he is writing. We have been working with the OT and he is slowly improving. It helps to massage his joints before he writes.
Well that is my update. Hope you all have a terrific day. Keep sharing all that you do!!!

My Blog
My Gallery

Old 02-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #278
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlicorice View Post
This was tough for me too. Yes, I guess I did want a NAME for all DS's issues, instead of the "psycho, over protective mommy" label I was getting.

I should mention that now that he's almost 7, things have gotten a lot easier. Many of his little sensitivity issues aren't as bad anymore, but we still have a long road ahead of us.
This sounds like me. I was told by people I was trying to make a `perfect child' because I wanted him in therapies. I could see he needed it, but his coping mechanisms are so amazing that nobody else could see it.

I know I am considered a `helicopter parent' by his teacher, but I don't really feel I have a choice.

My DS is 7 1/2 and I am finding it better as well, but also worse. When he was younger, he needed help with his fine and gross motor skills. Now, he seems to be holding his own there. However, the issues now are sitting in class and being socially sensitive. He has always been socially sensitive, but since he is now at school, I can no longer help him interpret situations.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #279
down and digi

Wow Kimberley! Big, giant, huge HUGS!!!!!!!! I feel your pain! We had a simialr situtation with my sister when I was on bedrest for dd's pregnancy and needed help with DS.

Alli, have you tried a wiggle pen before he does any hand work? Our OT recommended a vibrating pen for 60 seconds before any hand work. It made an amazing difference in his ability to focus for printing. I don't know if this would help, but she also recommended that DS work at an easle. If an easle isn't available, we put a 3-4" binder on the desk in front of him (spine away so that it slopes towards him) and uses it as a `desk' ontop of his desk. It changes the angle of his hand and helps a lot.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #280
down and digi

I realized over our holiday in WDW this past week that our 6 1/2 yo DD has some SPD tendancies. She doesn't have SPD, but she has a lot of sensory avoidance. I remember as an infant that she didn't like the swing or a slide as an older child. She didn't go sledding or watersliding until she was 4. However, she would climb up anything in front of her - including a ladder to the roof. We realized that she needs to be grounded - extremely grounded.

My DH compares the kids like this - DS likes controlled chaos (wild rides, sledding, etc, but safe) and DD like uncontrolled chaos (the things she chooses to do are often unsafe, but she is grounded, like on a ladder)

We went to Disney World for the last week and there was only about 5 rides she was willing to try. Her favorite was the monorail and the carosel (sp??). She was nervous around the characters and if something had more than a 15 minute line up, she would opt out from the ride.

She has always had eating issues, but we figured she was following the lead of her brother (only a year older).

We've also noticed a few other minor things now that she in school.

All of this is extremely manageable and a very small thing in the scheme of life. It was just so shocking to me to see it so clearly.