Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:13 AM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindo View Post
Thanks for the laugh! I did not even notice my typo!
lol I can't believe that work accidently made it past the censor's, but @nal gets ****!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #42
Mad Swapper

My first 2 were 15 months apart, so I've been there!
#2 was 2 1/2 when #3 was born (and #1 was almost 4 and very interested in the new baby, cut the cord, "helped" a lot, etc.).

Basically I just got through it all. The first 2 had to take turns nursing, baby always went first though. I shower and wash diapers in the evening, do laundry in the morning, pump milk during naptime for away time.

I guess my best advice:
- get hands free baby carriers (1 for home, 1 for car), ie. sling, mei tai, Bjorn, etc. so that you can still get things done and keep up with the older kid(s).
- freeze tons of extra meals for those first few weeks...and instead of gifts ask friends and family to bring over food or come hold the baby for 1/2 an hour so you can take a shower, etc.
- get your older child(ren) used to dad or other people who will be helping more after the new baby arrives, ie. dad doing bedtime, spending more time w/ grandma, etc.
- Relax! The housework will eventually get done. Try not to stress over it. If the older kid(s) end up watching a little tv or eating a pizza and take-out a few times a week, they'll survive!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #43
Mad Swapper

Oh, and we didn't get a minivan until #3 needed to be moved to a larger carseat at 4 months old. ALL THREE were in the back of my Honda Civic until then! So it can be done!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #44
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
My first 2 were 15 months apart, so I've been there!
#2 was 2 1/2 when #3 was born (and #1 was almost 4 and very interested in the new baby, cut the cord, "helped" a lot, etc.).

Basically I just got through it all. The first 2 had to take turns nursing, baby always went first though. I shower and wash diapers in the evening, do laundry in the morning, pump milk during naptime for away time.

I guess my best advice:
- get hands free baby carriers (1 for home, 1 for car), ie. sling, mei tai, Bjorn, etc. so that you can still get things done and keep up with the older kid(s).
- freeze tons of extra meals for those first few weeks...and instead of gifts ask friends and family to bring over food or come hold the baby for 1/2 an hour so you can take a shower, etc.
- get your older child(ren) used to dad or other people who will be helping more after the new baby arrives, ie. dad doing bedtime, spending more time w/ grandma, etc.
- Relax! The housework will eventually get done. Try not to stress over it. If the older kid(s) end up watching a little tv or eating a pizza and take-out a few times a week, they'll survive!
Wow, thanks for all the great tips! I have to say, I have prepared by doing all of them so far....all the way down to keeping the Honda Civic! I'm super excited about my Bjorn in the new color, brown! I just exchanged the black one for it today. Yeh! I didn't "wear" my first son so this will be a new thing for me, but totally necessary. We are waiting on a double stroller until we figure out more what kind we'll need.

I hope all the moms are surviving out there. We have one week left before baby arrives.We just finished getting the baby room ready over the weekend. Half of the room has my stamping stuff in in so I was worried about how it would work out. But I think I found a place for everything. We better start working on a name!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #45
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
We are waiting on a double stroller until we figure out more what kind we'll need.
We have cheap umbrella style one for airports that we don't have to worry about getting lost or beat-up. Then we have the double jogger which is fabulous for long walks/jogs/hikes and for going to the park. We actually just picked up a second double jogger at a yard sale for nothing, we've run the first one into the ground with constant use! It probably would have lasted longer if we had a garage to store it in.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #46
Die Cut Diva

Location: In paradise with my wonderful husband and 6 beautiful girls!

Hey, I just noticed this thread. I have 4 DD. My first 2 are 21 months apart, then 23 months apart, then 26 months apart. I like that they are close together, because they always have someone to play with. It is very challenging at times, but you get used to it.

We got a minivan when we had #3, and an SUV with #4-just because my dh wanted one, not because we needed it. He kept telling me he would feel better if I had something with 4-wheel drive so I wouldn't get stuck when it snows.

I always had the oldest one in a regular bed before the next one came, but none of them were potty-trained. They just weren't ready, and neither was I. I think we started potty training about 4-6 months after the baby was born.

I wouldn't worry about dinner too much, have some dinners on hand that can be made up really quickly. And it's ok to have take-out more-at least they're not going hungry right? And things will smooth out once you get used to having 2 around. Things will fall into place.

I also have a double stoller that I never use because it's so hard to steer. I'm not sure what brand it is, but it sits one right in front of the other, not side by side like some do. And I think that's what makes it hard to steer.

The best advice I have is to relax and enjoy your kids! Don't sweat the small stuff. If your house isn't perfect, that's ok. You'll have all the time in the world to keep a perfect house after your kids are grown and in school. My oldest is already 7 and my youngest will be 2 in Aug. They grow up so fast! Oh, and routines are helpful too! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Old 07-11-2007, 05:38 AM   #47
Compulsive Stamper

I had 3 children all in 27 months. My 1st DS was 16 months when my DD was born. My DD was 11 months when my 2nd DS was born. I am a military wife so I didn't have the help of parents. You can do it, it is hard sometimes but just remember God will give you only what you are able to handle. Enjoy your little ones. I had mine on a time schedule that they all took their naps at the same time. This gave me the time to do the things that I needed to get done or to lay down and take a nap. And they all went to bed at 7:30. This gave me time with DH alone. Don't loose sight that DH still needs that time with you. The kids are grown now. Our 3rd child will be leaving home for basic training this summer so it will be just DH an me.

Robyn
Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #48
Pearl-ExPert

Three things that keep me sane (ish):

My flylady routines
Monthly menu planning
Making the kids work. Even the baby (15 mo) can help push clothes into the dryer, and he loves to use the Swiffer duster on low shelves. I am not the only person around here who can work!

I am also pretty strict as far as sibling rivalry. I do not tolerate treating each other badly. It may take more effort in the short run to get off your arse and correct a problem now, but in the long run consistency works.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #49
Rubber Obsessor

I am in your boat. My boys are almost 2 yrs apart. The youngest is 7 months old and was born with spina bifida. So there is so much extra work with him. Who ever said one child is only one times the work. When you have a second it is triple the work. However you will make it!! I promise. Somedays I would just like to run away, since my hubby works all crazy hours. It will teach your older child about taking turns!!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #50
Mad Swapper

Hey! I'm still here! Lost y'all for a while.
Well, the latest is the little guy decided he needed 6 new teeth while I was on vacation without Dad around! Soooooo not fun! I thought I was going to go crazy between being in a strange place (for them) the teething pain, crying and diapers...I went to the grocery store and bought - diaper cream (neither boy had ever had a rash), mylicon, motrin, tylenol, teething tablets, teething gel, pedialyte, pedialyte pops (kill 2 birds with 1 stone) teething ring.....it was kind of funny looking back on it!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #51
Pearl-ExPert

Default Baby Graham Has Arrived!

i wish i had time to read through the latest posts and catch up. but only have a few moments. wanted to update that we are home with precious baby #2, graham sanders. the middle name is a family name that would have died with DH's 80+ year old grandpa, whom we adore. so now the name lives on.

baby was 7lb 5oz, 19.5 inches long, much smaller than big brother who was 2 pounds and 2.5 inches bigger. it's strange having such a "small" baby.

i've already almost forgotten the horrendous pre-delivery experience with 5 IV tries and 3 spinal block tries. the surgery and recovery, however, were much better than i expected.

the first few days were heck while our toddler adjusted to mom and dad coming back home. he was so ornery. but once i could move around and get out and we could focus more on him, things started getting better. the hugs and kisses were back, instead of getting hit all the time! and now toddler son doesn't like grandma as much because he is afraid he'll be left again. that kind of breaks my heart but i know it will just take time.

DS #1 adores the baby though. he is always gentle but does love to be right in the baby's face a lot. the baby sleeps right through all the noise which is great. and DS #1 sleeps in through the middle of the night cries from the baby which i am so thankful for!

baby is doing great. he seems to be super laid back so far. he is only waking in the night once for feedings which is wonderful.

we are getting out a little each day to spend time with our toddler. it really helps him with his jealousy issues. i'm seeing that the more attention toddler gets, the better he behaves. and i can already see after a week that he is getting used to baby brother and the time/attention he requires from mom and dad. i am so thankful for a great husband who tag teams with me.

i hope you are all doing great. i will catch up on this thread when i get more time. i attached a picture of our new son.
Attached Thumbnails
announcement_graham.jpg  
Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #52
Pearl-ExPert

tonight my toddler took off his diaper and pooped on the floor!!!! then when we put him in bed for the night, he took it off again and peed in the bed and on the floor! time to potty train? or not yet with adjusting to newborn brother still? ps-hubby and i secretly laughed but it was still so gross!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #53
Insane Embellisher

hey jamie, congrats on your little pumpkin! glad to hear that big brother is adjusting well! my 2 year old loves his sister too. a little too much though, he likes to cover her up or give her the pacifier; normally when she's sleeping, so i gotta keep an eye on that! how are you sleeping? i'm nursing, so i'm totally exhausted. could be the fact that we're in the middle of trying to move too though. the packers come next week, so this should be interesting!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 AM   #54
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
tonight my toddler took off his diaper and pooped on the floor!!!! then when we put him in bed for the night, he took it off again and peed in the bed and on the floor! time to potty train? or not yet with adjusting to newborn brother still? ps-hubby and i secretly laughed but it was still so gross!!!
Don't try to potty train he is just getting attention with the new baby. One secret is to put his diaper on backwards or put plastic pants over them something to hinder him from removing them.
Good luck
Old 08-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #55
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisavengesta View Post
hey jamie, congrats on your little pumpkin! glad to hear that big brother is adjusting well! my 2 year old loves his sister too. a little too much though, he likes to cover her up or give her the pacifier; normally when she's sleeping, so i gotta keep an eye on that! how are you sleeping? i'm nursing, so i'm totally exhausted. could be the fact that we're in the middle of trying to move too though. the packers come next week, so this should be interesting!
congrats on your little princes! i love the name. our babies are just days apart. i am pretty exhausted. thanks for the reminder that nursing will do that! i feel like i should be a better sport but i AM super tired and that is WITH having a super great husband helping me. but nobody can feed the little guy but me. and that's tiring. best wishes on your move. that's exciting. i wish we were moving!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #56
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2creativeforwords View Post
Don't try to potty train he is just getting attention with the new baby. One secret is to put his diaper on backwards or put plastic pants over them something to hinder him from removing them.
Good luck
thanks for the tips. it's hard to believe a not even two year old can be so manipulative but you're right....he's looking for more attention. i'm working on that..and it's helping a lot.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #57
Pearl-ExPert

you moms must be busy like me!

i just had to share that i actually got some stamping done this week and i have my first workshop post-baby tomorrow. baby is 6 weeks old today. demonstrating keeps you on your toes with stamping. i'm glad i have that to make me "play" sometimes. i also made thank you card packs and matching beaded pens for the nurses at the hospital. we delivered them today and they loved them.

we've been out a lot lately, it helps the day go faster. baby is stretching feedings from 11pm to 5am so that's nice. DS1 is taking 3+ hour naps each day, hallelujah! so it's been pretty easy to get DS2 to sleep somewhere in there and to sleep myself a bit. i sleep on the couch with the window open so if anyone drops in, they see me asleep and don't bother us. hee, hee. when we are out, i put DS1 in stroller and DS2 in bjorn. we were given a double jogging stroller that rolls awesome! i take DS1 on a walk almost every night and actually jogged recently. need to do more of that! i think that's about it on how i'm juggling. hope everyone is hanging in there! update us when you can.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #58
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi ladies! Just stopped in for a brief peek... I have two boys; DS1 (4y) and DS2 (20m). I, too, LOVE having boys!

Here's a web site you might find comical...
http://www.mom2my6pack.blogspot.com/

But read this on first...
http://mom2my6pack.blogspot.com/2007/06/welcome.html

This woman is a mother of SIX kids ranging from pre-teen to baby. She's got a funny take on motherhood.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #59
Hardware Hotshot

Hi! I am in this boat with the infant waking up. I'll need to go back and read the thread through. My DD just turned 2 on Friday. She was dx with Type 1 diabetes in March when I was 5 months pregnant. She handles it very well, probably better than me -- I have lots of days where I get so angry with the disease. Anyway, our DS was born 7/25 and is still on an every 3 hour feeding shift (nursing) and likes to be bright eyed after eating at 3/4/5 in the morning.

I look forward to seeing some great tips in the thread.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #60
Hardware Hotshot

Okay - I just read through the thread. Many of you have #2 right around the same time as DS. A few things I can add:

Toddler is in a big girl bed - she went willingly at 19 mos. I was surprised by this as it was only 1 month after her dx. We haven't looked back to the crib.
Toddler is not potty trained. Clueless as to when we will start.
Toddler just started a 2 morning/week "school" program called My Morning Out. She seems to love it.
Toddler is quite independent and loves to be around other kids.
Infant was quite high maintenance the first month. This may have also been to our readjusting to life with an infant.
Infant is an "eating machine" - loves to nurse.
Infant will "teapot" when he isn't happy. His cry sounds like a tea kettle going off and he can get there in 2 seconds.

We have the Saturn Outlook. I refused to do a mini-van. I wanted something that didn't scream "MOM". Love it. Very roomy, drives wonderfully.

We had a Zooper Tango (well still have it, but need to sell it). DD wasn't thrilled with sitting next to DS. It doesn't fit the Graco Snugride fantastically. Although it is light by double stroller standards - 21 lbs - it is incredibly awkward to lift and put in the car. Plus, it took up basically the entire back end width-wise. We also live in a very old neighborhood where trees have done a great job of uprooting sidewalks. I had to prop up the stroller at the slightest bump - very aggravating and the stroller wasn't handling this well. When I did the math, I was having to prop up 80 lbs every 20 feet or so.

We now have the Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem and it is great. It is heavier than the Zooper - don't have a weight, but the fold is easier to get into the car. The seats can be forward facing, rear facing, facing each other and you can use it as a "single" with a huge basket for bags. DD loves being in the front. I've used it as a single and the basket size was a big plus.

I'm glad to see so many others who are in the same boat as us. I still find it strange to say "kids" or "children". It seems surreal at times that we have 2 -- especially since we have only been married 3 years this October. We don't have family close to us. All of our family is in the Midwest or Florida, so it can be challenging to say the least. But my daughter's contagious belly laugh and my son's dimples make it all worth it.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #61
Compulsive Stamper

Just noticed this thread and thought I'd post even though it was old. I have 2 boys, one is 28 months, the other just turned 2 months. It would be nice to connect with some other mommies. I'm starting to feel burnt out already!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #62
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowchow View Post
Just noticed this thread and thought I'd post even though it was old. I have 2 boys, one is 28 months, the other just turned 2 months. It would be nice to connect with some other mommies. I'm starting to feel burnt out already!
thanks for reviving our thread! i thought about it today and how i needed to check in. sons are now 28 and 5 months. still not sleeping through night. been plagued with illness since thanksgiving, at least. not fun. but they sure love each other and that's fun to watch. i still haven't gotten my double stroller. need one badly!

how's everyone doing?