Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Gallery Gazer

Default Economic Stress Support Group

I highly doubt I am the only one who has a family member who is laid off at present. Sometimes I feel like I am...I don't want to complain about it, because we are truly blessed with our health, a home we can keep and my job. Although, I could definitely use a group to vent to from time to time or just help push through and stay positive.

DH is mechanical engineer who was laid off basically the work day before I started back to teaching in the fall. Luckily, we really hadn't overextended ourselves, but still...the other income was HUGE. Much more that mine. Teacher v. engineer. Come on.

I would love to hear your stories, words of wisdom and even your rants.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to mariewick

More and more people I know are losing their job. My dad got laid off almost a year ago for a company he worked for for about 24 years. He has gone back to that company for some contract work that will last about 3 months if that then it's back to unemployment. My aunt also got laid off from a very well known crafty store and retail can be very harsh. She basically got jipped out of unemployment and I think that it's not fair. These loop holes that retailers can go through just to not lay someone off and pay unemployment benefits it makes me sick. What do they expect those families to do? All so they can save some money! I will not be shopping there ever again!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Glitter Guru

I am lucky enough to have retired after 30 years of teaching and my husband's business is doing well, but, 28 years ago I did not know where my next meal would be coming from. It was so dark and gloomy for me back then...a new mom with a 6 week old, a 7 year marriage ending overnight (he was doing drugs and had a girlfriend), and no, none, nada child support. A teacher's salary back then was $7,800 a year---yes, a year! My take home pay was exactly my house payment.

And, in those cold lonely hours I learned how valuable my daughter is, how precious my education is, and how money can be managed. Oh, and how to pray. It will be all right. The money will come when you absolutely need it (maybe not when you want it, but when you need it) and life is what you make of it. I will say a little prayer for you guys tonight. Hang in there. It will only make you stronger!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I want to offer a {{{HUG}}}. It is so frustrating to hear stories like yours. The newscasts keep saying how we are coming out of the recession, yet so many remain unemployed.

Sadly, my husband's employer had to lay off his entire crew (commercial construction) just last week. They are only going to be unemployed for a month, but the timing just sucks. Whereas a month ago, I thought I had Christmas money, now that money will have to go towards bills. Long story short, he cannot collect unemployment because of a move we made from New York to Colorado a year ago. It's a mess.

My husband being in construction means we are no strangers to lay offs. In years past, he could pick up side jobs to fill in where unemployment benefits lacked. With our economy the way it is now, not too many are doing the small home improvement jobs he use to get. Also, since we are in a new area, he doesn't have the reputation that he had in New York.

I agree that things seem to work out, anyway. Just when I thought we couldn't pay this or that bill, a check would come in the mail for something or another. I also learned to shop very frugal!

I am thankful that my children are nearly grown now, so I don't have to stress about giving them next to nothing for Christmas.... they totally understand. I will definitely be making most of the gifts I give this year!

Stay strong. It's times like these that character is built.

Hugs again!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Holly