Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #1841
Kookie Creator

I am having formula issues, or should I say spitting up issues. I don't know how much is too much spitting up. If he was laying down it would pour out the side of his mouth. It seems like it is in phases or something, it isn't with every bottle either some days it seemed like he wouldn't spit up at all and others it would be with every bottle. When I was at his 2 month dr appt he said I could try switching formula if I wanted or see what happens and talk about it more at his 4 month appt. He said it will get worse before it gets better and by 4 months it will be alot better. Well on Sat. evening I decided to go to the store and get the small can of Enfamil AR to try for a few days, it seemed to be working ok but it is a pain the in butt formula. You have to prepare it and let it sit 5 minutes before feeding and it is so thick that sometimes it will take him an hour to eat 5 oz. He is still using a slow nipple, so I tried switching to the medium nipple and that was way to fast he was done in a couple minutes flat. And since it has rice starch in it, it is chunky and messy. I feel bad about hating the formula for these reasons but don't know if it is helping him anyway. He hasn't been spitting up as much though. The dr office said to try it for 4-5 days, well I only did it for 3 days and switch back this morning but feed him different like they suggested. I stopped 1/2 way thru and burped him and let him rest for a bit and finish the bottle up. So far this morning he hasn't spit up much. I probably should of tried this before trying the other formula. I feel like a bad mommy like others have said, we got out of the habit of burping him in the middle of his bottle because he would scream. So maybe that is what the problem has been, we will see. We go next week for his 4 month appt.

I feel for you girls with the screaming, Logan has had a few screaming fits and I have been pretty sure it has been gas and has maybe lasted an hour or so total. But DH doesn't like the screaming it drives him crazy. A few weeks ago I left him home with Logan and wasn't gone for that long he called my cell phone and Logan was crying in the phone, he just wanted to call me to tell me that the baby had been crying for 10 minutes or something like that. He had at 2 hours or so before, I had to tell him that maybe he was hunrgy so feed him a couple ounces. oh why do DH's have to be so goofy. He did the same thing the next day when I left again. So I feel like I can't go to far and for too long. Ugh...

How many of you are taking monthly pictures professionally? So far we have taken 1, 2 and 3 month, but might end up taking some here at home for ther other months. I have not had good luck like I posted before and I have had some good pictures I have taken and of course the price is better. Right now I want to take some easter pictures and get them done at walgreens I seen they have cute borders that say happy easter or happy spring. Does anyone have any ideas, I would like to try and take them outside but don't know yet. I am going to see if he will hold some plastic eggs, but he is just starting to hold toys.

Well I am glad I am off the next 2 days, Logan and I may go on a George Clooney hunt. They are making a movie here in town and the news keeps us updated where they are in town and he is in an area I am more familiar with so we might go on a hunt today. heehee
Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #1842
Die Cut Diva

I have to giggle at your post Angie!!!

Jesse was like that with Joey- it gets better. Men are not programed to deal with the crying and screaming like we are. Yes it may seem like we can't take it, but we deal with it day after day- try letting your husband do that!!!!

Llynn- just make sure that you keep the VIC's rub no farther up than the base of the neck if you are going to use it on his chest. It's not meant to go under the nose which can cause more breathing problems.

Angie- I will not be taking Alex to any studio. I bought a digital rebel and will be doing my own from now on. You can get creative. The picture in my avatar- I took that and used the photo shop program on my computer. I had him laying on his boppy and layed my bedroom curtain over it and snapped away.

I had a VERY BAD experiance with Sears when Joey was 4 months and haven't been back since. JCPenny is where we went for all of Joey's until the past year when we did just the school photos. IMO you pay an arm and a leg for the same pics that you could do at home with just alittle creative thinking.

If you do do your own, you have all the time to do them, not a set time, you are able to stop and start again if he needs to take a nap or eat etc. There are so many ups to doing them at home.

Last edited by Josephsmom04; 03-25-2009 at 07:09 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #1843
Die Cut Diva

Angie, we had serious problems with Cameron spitting up, so much so in the first month that we had to switch formulas. I would say that if the formula is that thick, don't add the rice cereal/starch to it and see if that helps him. We use a version of enfamil (nutramigen, the expensive stuff), and I've never had problems with it being too thick. I just shake the hell out of it.

Also we seriously burp him ALL THE TIME. I still burp him every 2-3 ounces. If he inhales too quickly, he'll spit it back up. And if we don't get a burp out of him, he'll spit up as well. So maybe try burping him more often.

I'm also a psycho about keeping him elevated for at least 30 minutes after feedings, but sometimes longer. Put him in a swing/chair/carseat...anything to keep him elevated. If I put Cameron down, he'll spit up. And if I do tummy time too soon after a bottle, he'll spit up. The pediatrician finally told me to just stop doing tummy time because he was so unhappy and it put too much pressure on his stomach. We've only been able to do it a couple times this month because its still too much pressure on his tummy. Oh well!

Hope that helps!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #1844
Die Cut Diva

I have a question.

Cameron has developed this sort of "tick" where he consistently will throw his right arm up and down. Sometimes he does it with his left, but for the most part he does it with his right. Mostly he does it during feedings, but I just noticed it as well when I was putting him down in his crib.

A friend of mine commented that maybe he's tired, and he's doing it to keep himself awake. I'm too paranoid about all the brain issues we've had to deal with, and am wondering if I should contact the pediatric neurologist to ask if this is something to be worried about. I don't know if its just a stage of development and he's enjoying the control he has over his limbs...I obviously wasn't as concerned when he always wanted to kick. I just worry that he's using his right arm so much and not using his left, which could be a sign of something developmentally wrong. I know, I'm paranoid.

Any feedback/advice would be lovely.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #1845
Mad Swapper

Jennifer - I notice Jax does that too. He swings and waves his arms around, sometimes scaring himself awake. I am sure its normal
Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #1846
Cupcake Queen

New pic of my little guy here:

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...postcount=2251
Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #1847
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Sewell View Post
SUPER cute Amanda!!!!

Too funny that you took it when he was in a good mood. Giggle.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #1848
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzig View Post
I have a question.

Cameron has developed this sort of "tick" where he consistently will throw his right arm up and down. Sometimes he does it with his left, but for the most part he does it with his right. Mostly he does it during feedings, but I just noticed it as well when I was putting him down in his crib.

A friend of mine commented that maybe he's tired, and he's doing it to keep himself awake. I'm too paranoid about all the brain issues we've had to deal with, and am wondering if I should contact the pediatric neurologist to ask if this is something to be worried about. I don't know if its just a stage of development and he's enjoying the control he has over his limbs...I obviously wasn't as concerned when he always wanted to kick. I just worry that he's using his right arm so much and not using his left, which could be a sign of something developmentally wrong. I know, I'm paranoid.

Any feedback/advice would be lovely.

That movement is just a "startle" reaction and completely normal. The case that he just does it with his right arm tells me that he's more dominate in that arm as far as muscle tone and the other arm will follow soon- trust me.

There are times, since Alex is so long, that I think he's going to break the crib slats. He's a lot stronger than what Joey was.

Remember every baby is different and will develop at their own pace. The things that he should be doing right now- lifting his head when on belly or keeping is steady in a sitting postion (keeping in mind he's still alittle wobbly), making sounds (cooing, gurgling etc) and pulling his hands together- THAT'S ABOUT IT. Anything extra is just that, extra.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #1849
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephsmom04 View Post
That movement is just a "startle" reaction and completely normal. The case that he just does it with his right arm tells me that he's more dominate in that arm as far as muscle tone and the other arm will follow soon- trust me.

There are times, since Alex is so long, that I think he's going to break the crib slats. He's a lot stronger than what Joey was.

Remember every baby is different and will develop at their own pace. The things that he should be doing right now- lifting his head when on belly or keeping is steady in a sitting postion (keeping in mind he's still alittle wobbly), making sounds (cooing, gurgling etc) and pulling his hands together- THAT'S ABOUT IT. Anything extra is just that, extra.

Thanks, Michelle! I appreciate your kind wisdom. My sister said the same thing about the startle reflex. I'm just so doggone paranoid with anything that connects to the brain...I had myself convinced it was a muscle tic that was associated with brain development, thus he would have something extremely bad. I know, ridiculous to get that from an arm moving...but that is the way my crazy mind works.

I think Cameron is starting to really teethe now, he's really fussy a lot, his sleeping patterns are changing, he gets really angry when he's sucking on a bottle, and wants only solids (no sucking for those, so I think it feels better on his gums). I can see the top two but he never lets me look at the bottom ones, so who knows whats going on down there!
Old 03-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #1850
Die Cut Diva

I'm so ridiculously exhausted right now. DH is in the field, and I actually didn't talk to him for close to 60 hours (which really sucks...totally not looking forward to deployment!!). Yesterday I was at a MOMS Club event and he came home, so I was really depressed that I missed him.

So he just showed up about an hour or two ago, and I had just put Cameron down. Cameron had been up all day without an afternoon nap (and his regular 3-hour morning nap was only for 2 hours), so I was hoping he'd sleep for 2 hours tonight. DH was making so much noise that it woke Cameron up. UGH!!! So I just now put him in his crib again, and the minute I put him down he woke back up. I just left him in there, hoping he'd go to sleep. I can hear him crying. I'm so freakin' tired.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #1851
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzig View Post
Thanks, Michelle! I appreciate your kind wisdom. My sister said the same thing about the startle reflex. I'm just so doggone paranoid with anything that connects to the brain...I had myself convinced it was a muscle tic that was associated with brain development, thus he would have something extremely bad. I know, ridiculous to get that from an arm moving...but that is the way my crazy mind works.

I think Cameron is starting to really teethe now, he's really fussy a lot, his sleeping patterns are changing, he gets really angry when he's sucking on a bottle, and wants only solids (no sucking for those, so I think it feels better on his gums). I can see the top two but he never lets me look at the bottom ones, so who knows whats going on down there!
{{{HUGS}}}

I would do the exact same thing if I was in your position. Anytime they do something new you always wonder if it's normal no matter how many kiddos you have.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #1852
Crimping Master

Amanda--loooove the picture. He is so cute!! Don't you just love those big smiles??

Jennifer--hugs to you!!! How do you like Mommy's Club? We have one in my area, thinking about joining, just not sure if I would get anything from it?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #1853
Die Cut Diva

Vanessa, I like it. I've joined both the MOMS club and the MOPS club (moms of pre-schoolers). MOMS has more individualized groups, such as a cooking club, book club, and we just added a scrapbooking club...yay!! MOPS is more focused on two meetings per month that involve guest speakers, crafts, and such. But those are specific to my area, they could be different in your neck of the woods.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #1854
Die Cut Diva

Well Cameron is STILL up. Since I didn't get him down until going on 9, he didn't wake up until 10. And he's WIDE AWAKE. I've got him in the jumperoo, hoping he calms down. An appliance repair guy is coming sometime in the morning to look at our dishwasher, which has a serious need for an attitude adjustment. It will just STICK in the cycle, so if I leave while its running, it will run until I get back and manually turn the dial to the next part of the cycle. It was running one day for 6-8 hours...what a waste of water!! Then I have to drive over to the airport and pick up my dad, he's staying for a week. I'm looking forward to it because it means I can get a long nap in to try and catch up on my sleep.

Plus, DH told me that if his field exercise that he's in doesn't mess up at all (his group of 37 people have to be essentially perfect) before Saturday, they'll be given Sunday off. Which means he might be home late Saturday and not have to go back until Monday morning. That will be great for him to catch up on sleep, and we can go see a movie when he's not asleep.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #1855
Pearl-ExPert

Jennifer: hope things get better. glad you have family coming in, take advantage of it while you can.

My DH will be home tomorrow night after his two week leave. He goes again in April, so I better enjoy him home while I can. I just need some time without the baby. Asher is only happy when he is being held. I need to get a carrier or a sling so I can do other things.

It's all just a number as long as I feel good and I'm eating healthy
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #1856
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyoustampin View Post
Jennifer: hope things get better. glad you have family coming in, take advantage of it while you can.

My DH will be home tomorrow night after his two week leave. He goes again in April, so I better enjoy him home while I can. I just need some time without the baby. Asher is only happy when he is being held. I need to get a carrier or a sling so I can do other things.
I feel for you ladies.

I have a Moby Wrap/Sling that I really like and that Avery LOVES. They cost a little more than the basic slings, but are very versatile, so you can use them many different ways and your little one won't outgrow it...well, until they're just too big for you to carry around.

http://www.mobywrap.com/

You might be able to find them in different places, I bought mine from a local children's clothing store.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #1857
Hardware Hotshot

Hi ladies... I posted on my blog sleeping issues I am having with Mia- if you have time check it out and let me know your advice.

Jennifer- thanks for commenting... I am worried about talking to the doctor just yet- she has her 9 mo. check up soon and if it doesn't resolve by then, I will ask him.

Anyway- beside Mia's sleeping issues we are doing good- I always feel on the go and rushed but I guess with 3 kids that is what you get. I am stressed a lot of the times since hubby still hasn't found a job in almost 2 months. But other then insurance we are doing okay. I know God will get us through this time.

Hope everyone is doing well, I am trying to read back a few pages to get caught up!
Old 03-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #1858
Gabfest Goddess

Howdy . . .guess its time I join (rejoin) this thread. For those that I don't know, my name is Kristina. I am now the proud (yet tired) mommy of a 6yo, 5yo, 11 mos old, and 2 week old. I am so needing mommy company so that I can wallow in the woes of babyhood and share all the joys as well.

So far so good with the baby, she does have a diaper rash, so I am goign to switch diaper brands and see if that helps. Also, I am very much losing the breast feeding battle with her. We have had lots of great grandparent support, and now she won't LATCH on. My older baby switched well from bottle to breast, until my milk supply finally went down too much. I have plenty of milk this time, but can't always whip out the pump to get it out. I am going to try really hard this week to increase my supply and keep as much breastmilk going in her as I can.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 03-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #1859
Gallery Gazer

Congratulations Kristina!!!! I love the name Megan, but dh wouldn't let me use it. I can't wait to see pictures of your new little bundle of joy. It's hard to believe that James is almost a year old already.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #1860
Gabfest Goddess

Oh, yeah, a picture may be nice, especially considering my avatar is about 10 months old! Let me find a newborn of Megan and an updated one of James!
Attached Thumbnails
100_0338.jpg   100_0283.jpg  
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 03-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #1861
Hardware Hotshot

adorable Kristina!!! Wow- newborn and 11mo...wow! That is all I can say! But, I am sure you are good at having your hands full by now! That is awesome!
Old 03-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #1862
Gabfest Goddess

My hands will be full tomorrow . . .my parents are leaving, and my husband is singing in a concert from 3pm - 9pm. If you hear a scream and the sound of hair riping out of someone's head coming from GA that will be me!

Nah, I should be just fine. The two older ones are most helpful!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 03-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #1863
Die Cut Diva

Hey Kristina!!! Jen (StampUK) and I were discussing when we thought you would have the baby, and I had said "any day now". I guess I was right!! So glad things went okay...even though you are one tired momma! Megan is beautiful, and I can't believe how much James has grown!!

You'll have to post a pic of the entire brood when you have time.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #1864
Die Cut Diva

Cameron has a cold. Yuck!!! He was up just about every 30 minutes last night, I was almost in tears. He still hasn't gotten to the point where he realizes he can breathe through his mouth, so he just tries really hard to breathe through his nose. He only gets good breaths when he starts to cry out of frustration and takes big gulps of air between sobs. Really pitiful.

So at 3AM, after sucking out his nose, doing saline drops, raising his crib bed, putting a humidifer in his room...I was really out of options. I almost decided to just attempt to crash on the couch with him, but feared he'd roll off of me. This is when a recliner would be great...the Dutalier glider only goes so far.

I'm hoping tonight is better. DH was home last night from his course, the military gave them last night and today off. So at 4AM, after I had been up for 4 hours with Cameron, I threw in the towel and made DH take him. Of course, Cameron immediately fell asleep with DH and had no troubles. UGH!
Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #1865
Stazon Splitcoast

Congrats Kristina!! She's beautiful and I can't believe how big James is either!!!!

Hope your first night alone goes well. I don't envy you ONE bit!

Haven't been posting much here, but I must admit, it's been a while since my last sleepless night. No complaints coming from me! Taylor sleeps on average 14 hours a night (8pm to 10am) and then takes a 1-2 hr nap around 1:30 or 2 in the afternoon.

We just drove to Omaha for a week and back her and I, that was interesting! It didn't go so bad except for a 15 minute melt down on the way back but it was SOOO windy I couldn't let her out of the car until there we could find some place with shelter, and by then she was asleep! We got to see Jen and Cameron though so that was fun

Taylor and DH are going to CA (flying) from the 13th to the 20th so I get a WHOLE week to myself!! I find out the sex of the baby on the 14th, so I'll probably spend most of the time switching rooms around and painting. Then my Mom will be here to visit! Mid-may, Taylor and I are driving back to CA for a month to go to a couple of weddings and visit. It's going to be a BUSY summer!

Jen, hope Cameron feels better soon!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #1866
Crimping Master

Jake has two bottom teeth poking out !!!! I guess I now know why things were crazy with him the past two weeks!!!

Laura, when DH told the DR at Jake's 6 month appt that he was still waking up for a feeding in the middle of the night, the DR was like--No, you have to stop that. He said as long as he gets enough during the day, there should be no reason for a night feeding. His suggestion was to slowly decrease the amount of formula we gave him at the night feeding. We started at 4 ozs, and then, the funniest thing happened, Jake decided he was ready to sleep through the night!! He has been sleeping through the night now for about 2 weeks. So, I am not sure how the decrease the formula theory would work. But maybe that might be something to try? Instead of nursing her until she is satisfied, just nurse her for a little bit and try to coax her back to sleep? Do think she is doing it more for comfort, rather than just hungry?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 AM   #1867
Die Cut Diva

Vanessa, glad to hear Jake had a reason for being ornery. that's odd that you had to decrease the amount at the last feeding! I will say that I noticed Cameron tends to take a very healthy amount at his dinnertime feeding (approx 6PM) and then not so much at the 10PM feeding...and he sleeps 8-10 hours each night...barring a routine pacifier fussy stage at one point or another during the night. A friend of mine who has a baby that is 5 days YOUNGER than Cameron has her daughter sleeping 12 hours each night. Lucky brat.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #1868
Die Cut Diva

I'm drained. Because DH is in the field right now, I'm the sole parent doing all the cold-induced nighttime drama incidences. Cameron wakes up 3-5 times per night for various reasons right now, mostly because he's having difficulty breathing. And this morning the little bugger woke up at 7, which is an hour and a half earlier than his norm. I've got him in his jumperoo right now, hoping he'll burn some of this ridiculous energy off so we can BOTH go take a nap. His 6-month checkup is this afternoon, then I'm having dinner with the commander's wife and the first sergeant's wife from base, as I'm taking over Key Spouse responsibilities for DH's squadron here. I'll be a busy busy girl!! Now if only this child would get over his cold because I don't have time for the cold and everything else.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 AM   #1869
Gabfest Goddess

Wow Jennifer, you will be busy!

I am dreading when my DH switches jobs, he'll be going TDY more often. Actually, I'll probably be okay, and it will just make me appreciate him that much more when he is home with me.

I took a picture of all my kids last night, no easy task mind you!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 03-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #1870
Gabfest Goddess

Here they are, the first one is my favorite, he was crawling off, not falling in case you were worried!
Attached Thumbnails
100_0403.jpg   100_0407.jpg  
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 03-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #1871
Gabfest Goddess

Vanessa, teething throws my children for a loop too. I always wish that they come out with all their baby teeth in place already.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #1872
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristransue View Post
Vanessa, teething throws my children for a loop too. I always wish that they come out with all their baby teeth in place already.
Oh not me! Those first few days of b.feeding are hard enough! ha ha
Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #1873
Insane Embellisher

So I have a quick question for you mommies. For the last 10 days or so, Avery has had TERRIBLE gas, and I'm not sure what the deal is. Nothing has changed, as far as her eating, and she's not on "real" food yet. I thought maybe it was something I had eaten, but after nearly 2 weeks, I'm starting to think it's something else. I also haven't eaten anything "gassy" like broccoli or cabbage or anything like that. She isn't constipated, either, still having 1-2 dirty diapers every day. Maybe it's just her digestive system adjusting? Normally, it wouldn't be such a big deal, as she isn't crying or in pain, but she sure is uncomfortable. So uncomfortable it's actually waking her up at night. And she smells TERRIBLE! ha ha. Like she ate something that was well past it's expiration date.

Any ideas?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #1874
Mad Swapper

My goodness, last night Jaxson slept from 11:15pm until 6am!!!! It was magical! I actually had to pump because I am so not used to that! I hope that becomes somewhat regular
Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #1875
Mad Swapper

Here's a recent picture of my ever growing boy!
Attached Thumbnails
007.jpg  
Old 03-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #1876
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llynn View Post
Oh Llynn! He's adorable! That's wonderful news about his sleeping. Avery still gets up once at night to eat, but she sleeps about 6 hours before and about 4-5 hours afterward, so I don't have any complaints. It could always be worse!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:29 PM   #1877
Die Cut Diva

Llynn, glad you had a good night!! And he is absolutely precious, I love all that hair!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:25 PM   #1878
Crimping Master

Llynn--I am so jealous that Jaxson has so much hair!!! What a doll!! I just want to kiss those cute cheeks!!

Kristina--your kids are just gorgeous!! I am telling you, seeing all these cute babies is making me want to start on that second one!!!! I just miss how tiny and cute they are--they get so big so fast!!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 AM   #1879
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks Vanessa!

The teething monster has returned to our house. Last night the baby slept from 11pm until 4:30 am. However, the 1 year old was awake at 12, 12:30, 2:30, 3:15 and 4am. He woke up again at 5, got a bottle from dad, and slept until 7.

I hope the teething monster leaves soon.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #1880
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llynn View Post
What a cutie Llynn!!!