Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 PM   #81
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomphish View Post
Hi Isha!
as a wife of a 29 yr veteran County Sheriff officer I just have one little thing to say. Probably not my place but..........Please do not fight about his hours or pay. I know it is hard to deal with at times but you will get through it. I have seen too many fellow officers and their wives divorce over things like that and officers begrudgingly give up their favorite shifts or duties for their families. Unfortunately it is their job, they put their lives on the line at all times and still love their job. Yes, one day they will get a shift on days, week-ends off and Holidays. Almost forgot , better pay. Until then, please kiss him good-bye every time he leaves for work and say you love him.
You ladies are all SPECIAL!
Debi
Thank you, I do tell him I love him when ever I can and I try not to argue with him about all of that. It is so hard when we don't see eachother. But I hear what you are saying and I appreciate it. It is easy to forget and fall into trouble with marrage and things. I am blessed to have a wonderful man, and great father.
-Isha
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #82
kraf*T*y mama

It is hard when you don't see them and you feel like you are raising the kids all by yourself I hear you girl!!!!! Especially since I'm a teacher which is like the best job ever as far as days off! Not so much on the pay though!

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #83
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danni35 View Post
where do you find the stamps for police officers, I have been wanting to do a scrap book for my brothers/dad/dh but find it hard to find decent images.

danette
try the viva las vegas stamps website I posted to earlier...they have some
Old 07-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #84
Mad Swapper

Hi Isha!
I just wanted to say Hello - it seems like a lot of our situations are parallel....although my hubby is on swings and I reallllly can't complain about the pay on our dept., they are paid well, however I know that it is not like that for most of the rest of the country....
It can be so hard sometimes though....
Old 07-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #85
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsmonkey View Post
Hi Isha!
I just wanted to say Hello - it seems like a lot of our situations are parallel....although my hubby is on swings and I reallllly can't complain about the pay on our dept., they are paid well, however I know that it is not like that for most of the rest of the country....
It can be so hard sometimes though....

Thanks! the pay thing really burns me! The city councel just approved a 3.8 million dollars to go to the police which would work out to about a 3 dollar raise for all officers....BUT the chief has decided to use all of it for marketing and signing bonuses for NEW officers. It is not set in stone yet but it looks like that is what is going to happen....it is just so hard.... Because the only way to make more money is to promote. In the 6 years he has been there we have not seen one raise in his pay a-side from promotions.

I would never tell DH this but it just drives me crazy! He has his Masters and is working on his PHd for goodness sake. But DH LOVES his job.

-Isha
Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #86
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativedesign View Post
Thanks! the pay thing really burns me! The city councel just approved a 3.8 million dollars to go to the police which would work out to about a 3 dollar raise for all officers....BUT the chief has decided to use all of it for marketing and signing bonuses for NEW officers. It is not set in stone yet but it looks like that is what is going to happen....it is just so hard.... Because the only way to make more money is to promote. In the 6 years he has been there we have not seen one raise in his pay a-side from promotions.

I would never tell DH this but it just drives me crazy! He has his Masters and is working on his PHd for goodness sake. But DH LOVES his job.

-Isha
How do you feel about relocating? Hee hee! You probably don't want to know what our officers make a year....
Police Recruit
Annual Salary Range $46,030 - $65,562
After Probation, Annual Salary Range $52,790 - $75,192

Off of the LVMPD website. THat's day 1 in the academy. If anyone is remotely interested, PM me and I'll give yo usome more info. (We do have a referral program!)

I can not imagine my husband working this job if he did not make what he does. I seriously FEEL for those of yo uwho have to struggle to make ends meet or DH's who have to take 2nd jobs elsewhere in this country. I think it's a bunch of Boloney! Our officers are HEROS for goodness sakes!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:44 AM   #87
Glitter Guru

They are HEROS! But most people sure don't look at it that way.

Here in Ontario, Police Officers are paid quite well. My DH's force, Guelph, is I think the thrid best paid force in Ontario. So it is nice. He absolutely loves his job, and yes sometimes the hours totally suck, but you do have to be aware that this is their job, and they aren't out on the town with other women! My hubby just finished a few crazy days....worked Monday 8-4, came home, left at 9 pm and worked until 4 pm the next afternoon! Just the nature of the job, and we have to be supportive.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 AM   #88
kraf*T*y mama

Quote:
How do you feel about relocating? Hee hee! You probably don't want to know what our officers make a year....
Police Recruit
Annual Salary Range $46,030 - $65,562
After Probation, Annual Salary Range $52,790 - $75,192

Off of the LVMPD website. THat's day 1 in the academy. If anyone is remotely interested, PM me and I'll give yo usome more info. (We do have a referral program!)

I can not imagine my husband working this job if he did not make what he does. I seriously FEEL for those of yo uwho have to struggle to make ends meet or DH's who have to take 2nd jobs elsewhere in this country. I think it's a bunch of Boloney! Our officers are HEROS for goodness sakes!
Oh my gosh!!!!!! I can't wait for the day that my hubby makes 46,000!!!! He makes more than 10,000 less than that right now! Course so do I. I have the other underpaid profession, teaching.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #89
Mad Swapper

Yeah, they make that starting in the Academy. THat's one of the reasons why we'll be here for a looong time. Yesterday was my DH's 10th anniv. with the dept. He started as a cadet at 19.

Another nice thing is that unless they take a different assignment, while they are on atrol, they only bid for shifts once per year, so they are on the same shift all year. Same days off. They work 4 - 10 hour days. Same schedule week after week. So no crazy shifts unless they work OT, There are lots of opps. for O.T. too. My hubby is riding a bike on the strip for a shift one day a week every other week for OT. It's a $500 gig. Really helps during the summer months. They get an annual cost of living increase, a $2000 annual "uniform allowance" for dry cleaning and such, He also gets an annual "step" increase on his P.O. date (I think). Within the first year I believe they are at over $55k. So there are some definite perks. We live in a nice "moderate" neighborhood on his single income (my SU mostly justs supports my own habit).

*Please don't think I am "bragging", I am totally meaning this post as informational only/comparison....although I think we may be a little tougher skinned here on this thread than some of the others I read *
Old 07-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #90
Mad Swapper

I hope y'all realized that was "Patrol" not atrol....

my silly "P" key doesn't like me
Old 07-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #91
Mad Swapper

I feel ya...I'm a therapist and that must be the 2nd underpaid job!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastess View Post
Oh my gosh!!!!!! I can't wait for the day that my hubby makes 46,000!!!! He makes more than 10,000 less than that right now! Course so do I. I have the other underpaid profession, teaching.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #92
Glitter Guru

Yeah, when my dh worked for the S.O. here and I quite my job to be home with our son, we figured he was going to have to work a lot of part time gigs just so we could make our mortgage payment. Well, actually he was in school getting his masters and we figured we could live off savings until he finished that. Luckily, he got hired by the Feds before the savings ran out and thankfully we are able to live quite comfortably on what they pay. Can't imagine what we'd be doing if he still worked for the SO. I probably would have gone back to work by now.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #93
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Yeah, they make that starting in the Academy. THat's one of the reasons why we'll be here for a looong time. Yesterday was my DH's 10th anniv. with the dept. He started as a cadet at 19.

Another nice thing is that unless they take a different assignment, while they are on atrol, they only bid for shifts once per year, so they are on the same shift all year. Same days off. They work 4 - 10 hour days. Same schedule week after week. So no crazy shifts unless they work OT, There are lots of opps. for O.T. too. My hubby is riding a bike on the strip for a shift one day a week every other week for OT. It's a $500 gig. Really helps during the summer months. They get an annual cost of living increase, a $2000 annual "uniform allowance" for dry cleaning and such, He also gets an annual "step" increase on his P.O. date (I think). Within the first year I believe they are at over $55k. So there are some definite perks. We live in a nice "moderate" neighborhood on his single income (my SU mostly justs supports my own habit).

*Please don't think I am "bragging", I am totally meaning this post as informational only/comparison....although I think we may be a little tougher skinned here on this thread than some of the others I read *

No this is really good info! my DH and I very seriously considered moving to Vegas (We LOVE it there!!!) But he called vegas PD and they said that for latterals there is a 2 year or more waiting list, and even then there is no garuntee because they have so many officers trying to latteral over they can be choosey. And then with the cost of housing out there YIKES! but hopefully the housing bubble will pop and we can look again
Old 07-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #94
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Default hi from NY!

Hi there! Just found this thread so I figured I'd say HI!
My DH is a police officer in NYC...he works in Harlem and Washington Heights (the worst areas in Manhattan) and he works midnights! UGH! We met while I was working the same area as a Paramedic 8 years ago. We dated for 6 months and got engaged. Our wedding was planned for November 30, 2001...we worked through 9/11, digging in the rubble almost side by side...I knew that if we made it through that, we could make it through anything!
God Bless all of you and your DH's!

Denise

Old 07-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #95
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqbarbie View Post
My DH is a police officer in NYC...he works in Harlem and Washington Heights (the worst areas in Manhattan) and he works midnights! UGH! We met while I was working the same area as a Paramedic 8 years ago. We dated for 6 months and got engaged. Our wedding was planned for November 30, 2001...we worked through 9/11, digging in the rubble almost side by side...I knew that if we made it through that, we could make it through anything!

WOW!

Welcome good to have you!

-Isha
Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #96
Mad Swapper

Quote:
No this is really good info! my DH and I very seriously considered moving to Vegas (We LOVE it there!!!) But he called vegas PD and they said that for latterals there is a 2 year or more waiting list, and even then there is no garuntee because they have so many officers trying to latteral over they can be choosey. And then with the cost of housing out there YIKES! but hopefully the housing bubble will pop and we can look again
Wow! When did he call? That seems rediculous as they are struggling to fill acadamies! I think they are making some changes in Academy/recruiting. I'll ask hubby when he gets home tonight. The housing has gone down a LOT!! There is a house accross the street from us, same model, selling for I think $40k less than what we paid. So I can even help you find a house hee hee. There are a TON of foreclosures now, due to the high spike a few years ago. You'd have a good neighbor! hee hee.....

Maybe I'll ask him in the a.m. his trainee this week is driving him NUTS!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #97
kraf*T*y mama

My hubby only does shift bid once a year which is nice he is the only officer they hired for an entire year and so he was the only one of the "lower" officers that got a raise last year! Their first year raise is a larger one and if he hadn't gotten it there would be guys who started after him making more money. He has 4 1/2 years experience at the sherrifs dept but aparently it doesn't count for anything we think maybe it would count for years of service to apply for some different positions like school resource officer but he won't ask for sure, it drives me crazy he will never ask anything because he doesn't want to look like he doesn't know whats going on. They are getting computers in their patrol cars so they can do reports and the computer and "send" them to the sargents to be checked then send them in, he doesn't have training til august like 8&9 but it will be so nice for him because he spends alot of time writing reports and with computers it will be faster with spell check and things like that!

Old 07-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #98
Kookie Creator

My DH just got a printer in his car he was thanking God because his hand writting is HORRIBLE (I have letters from him when we were dating that I cannot even read!) Having a computer makes life so much easier!

I am really interested as is my DH about Vegas he would latteral because DH doesn't want to go through another acadamy, but thankfully the ABQ acadamy is one of the nations top police acadamys (or so I am told...) DH looked into the process of moving to Vegas about 3 or 4 years ago. So it has been a while since we looked.

My hubby is a training officer also so I can understand why you wouldwait until morning

-Isha
Old 07-27-2007, 06:45 AM   #99
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqbarbie View Post

I second the "Wow." Sounds like you've seen a lot together. I can't even imagine.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #100
Mad Swapper

Quote:
My DH just got a printer in his car he was thanking God because his hand writting is HORRIBLE (I have letters from him when we were dating that I cannot even read!) Having a computer makes life so much easier!

I am really interested as is my DH about Vegas he would latteral because DH doesn't want to go through another acadamy, but thankfully the ABQ acadamy is one of the nations top police acadamys (or so I am told...) DH looked into the process of moving to Vegas about 3 or 4 years ago. So it has been a while since we looked.

My hubby is a training officer also so I can understand why you wouldwait until morning

-Isha
Ok, Isha,
I talked to DH this morning and he said basically, they have done away with the latteral program - so he would have to (as DH said) "suck it up" and go through another academy, but at least he'd be "dialed in" so to speak. He'd also probably have a cake walk through field training. The good thing is at least it's full pay through the academy, including insurance, and it's not "live in" which I have heard some are....? dunno.... anyhow, if you are really interested in at least finding out more, please let me know. Like I said, I'd even help you look for a house (did I mention there's 2 for sale on our street..hee hee)
ABQ is only about an 8 hr. drive right? Y'all could come out for a week and "play" meet my DH, yours could go on a ride along maybe (depending on trainees). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions - so we don't "hog" the thread.

I am ***loving*** this thread. It's great to actually have multiple things in common with other women!!! It's so fun to hear about other depts. and challenges!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #101
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Ok, Isha,
I talked to DH this morning and he said basically, they have done away with the latteral program - so he would have to (as DH said) "suck it up" and go through another academy, but at least he'd be "dialed in" so to speak. He'd also probably have a cake walk through field training. The good thing is at least it's full pay through the academy, including insurance, and it's not "live in" which I have heard some are....? dunno.... anyhow, if you are really interested in at least finding out more, please let me know. Like I said, I'd even help you look for a house (did I mention there's 2 for sale on our street..hee hee)
ABQ is only about an 8 hr. drive right? Y'all could come out for a week and "play" meet my DH, yours could go on a ride along maybe (depending on trainees). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions - so we don't "hog" the thread.

I am ***loving*** this thread. It's great to actually have multiple things in common with other women!!! It's so fun to hear about other depts. and challenges!
Thanks so much I will PM you
Old 08-09-2007, 07:51 AM   #102
Glitter Guru

I just had to share this funny thing my 4 year old DS said the other day. He had surgery a few weeks ago and was playing "surgeon" with one of his stuffed animals so I asked him if he wanted to be a doctor when he grew up. He said, "No, a POLICE OFFICER." (How could I have forgotten that or dare suggest he might want to be something else?)

Then I asked him if he wanted to be a real police officer. He answered, "No a pretend police officer so I can work with Dad." (In his mind real police officers drive marked cars and wear uniforms and dad, as a federal agent who doesn't drive a marked car or wear a uniform, is a pretend police officer.)
Old 08-18-2007, 07:02 AM   #103
kraf*T*y mama

I am going on a ride-a-long with my hubby tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am excited and just a wee bit nervous. I will finally have a better understanding of what he does all night and get to meet some of the people he works with.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #104
Wish-RAK Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastess View Post
I am going on a ride-a-long with my hubby tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am excited and just a wee bit nervous. I will finally have a better understanding of what he does all night and get to meet some of the people he works with.
So, how did the ride along go? I've been on a few with my DH years ago and you really do begin to understand what they go through. There was one night when he had a party call to go to. Bunch of teens drinking and mouthing off to them and I was real nervous. I'm thinking, what would I do if some one decided to go after my husband? Well, that particular time he was in K-9, so here I am, sitting in the car, with a 105lb German Shepard barking in my ear because of the commotion outside, and that's when I figured that if something would have happened I'd probably send Murphy out there to protect him. Didn't have to do it but......
Hope you had fun!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #105
Rubber Obsessor

Default i am a cop's wife too!

Hi Girls....can I join in on the chattin, too?
my dh has been a patrolman for about 10 years (we were engaged when he was in the academy). He works 12hr shifts....3 days on...3 days off...then...3 nights on...3 nights off. we aleays have to look at the schedule before we even plan a shopping trip! we just had a little girl in november and it has been tough with him working! we are trying to get in a groove
it is great to have other gals to talk with about our unique lifestyle!

Patti

I lost my mom to Lymphoma...I walk so others don't have to....Please sponsor me and help find a cure...http://pages.lightthenight.org/snj/C...ylis-Bleistine
Old 08-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #106
Gabfest Goddess

Hi, I was just nosing around at the other areas of the forum and noticed this thread about wives of police officers. My hubby is a Natural Resources Law Enforcement Officer in our state. This is basically a park ranger, game warden and state police all in one. Most of the time he really loves his job. Its the politics that go along with the job he hates. He has been doing this for almost 16 years now. We are very fortunate that the state of MD pays this position fairly well with good benefits. Too bad its not enough so that I can quit my job though .

I do have one thing in common with a lot of the other posters here - the night shifts. Those are his favorites because that is when all the bad guys are out. But it means that since I work weekdays and he works nights and weekends that we don't get a lot of time together. It also makes for a challenge to do meal planning since he is asleep when I have breakfast, at home for lunch when I am at work and not home for dinner when I am there. Some mornings I have to make breakfast, lunch and dinner to pack before I go to work so he will have something healthy to eat when I'm not there.

I rarely worry about him getting hurt. He is really smart about his job and is great at handling people - even ones who are carrying weapons. I have gone on patrol with him (a ride-a-long) a couple of times to see what he does. You can tell how proud he is of what he is doing. And he has wond a lot of commendations for it.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #107
Polyshrink Goddess

Hello all I just ran across this thread, I think it is a good one. My husband is a police sgt. for the Columbia Police Department. Here in Columbia, Mo. He has been a officer for 15 years we have been together the entire time he has been a officer. We started dating one month after he became a police officer then we got married three years after that. We have one daughter who is 12 years old and of course all of the officers know her and have known her since she was born. She is still at that age where she thinks it is cool to have a father for a police officer.

Sometimes the strss of being a police officers wife but over time I have learned to trust God to get him home safe everyday and so far I've been blessed.

It's going to be fun talking to you all.

Crystal
Old 09-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #108
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapshappen View Post
I just had to share this funny thing my 4 year old DS said the other day. He had surgery a few weeks ago and was playing "surgeon" with one of his stuffed animals so I asked him if he wanted to be a doctor when he grew up. He said, "No, a POLICE OFFICER." (How could I have forgotten that or dare suggest he might want to be something else?)

Then I asked him if he wanted to be a real police officer. He answered, "No a pretend police officer so I can work with Dad." (In his mind real police officers drive marked cars and wear uniforms and dad, as a federal agent who doesn't drive a marked car or wear a uniform, is a pretend police officer.)
That is too cute! My DD would end up saying that as well.....my DH is in the Drug Unit, so he is in plain clothes and drives a normal vehicle!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #109
Glitter Guru

Shastess - how did the Ride Along go? I have wanted to go on one for ever, but DH didn't want me too....not sure why. But now his force doesn't allow them...so it definitely won't happen!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #110
Glitter Guru

Welcome Patti - it is all about being organized when you have a cop for a hubby!

Our routine is that I keep the same routine with DD. DH is very rarely home at the same time every day, so I just try to keep my routine constant!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #111
kraf*T*y mama

Sorry I haven't posted, my life has been crazy lately! I started back to school and trying to get everything ready for the baby!

The ride-a-long was really neat! I could tell my hubby was WAY more nervous than he let on as the time got closer. It was so cool to finally SEE inside the station and roll call and the dispatch center and everything. They have just gotten computers in their cars so that was cool to be able to see where everyone was and stuff. It was a busy night in that the town had one of their yearly festivals going on that night (big one with concert featuring Craig Morgan and Taylor swift). There were like 12 officers working at it alone. We got to run code (lights and sirens) once to a gun call, he also arrested someone with a warrant so I got to see the jail too. I think he was glad when the night was over though! I would totally recommend it!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #112
kraf*T*y mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Gregory View Post
Hello all I just ran across this thread, I think it is a good one. My husband is a police sgt. for the Columbia Police Department. Here in Columbia, Mo. He has been a officer for 15 years we have been together the entire time he has been a officer. We started dating one month after he became a police officer then we got married three years after that. We have one daughter who is 12 years old and of course all of the officers know her and have known her since she was born. She is still at that age where she thinks it is cool to have a father for a police officer.

Sometimes the strss of being a police officers wife but over time I have learned to trust God to get him home safe everyday and so far I've been blessed.

It's going to be fun talking to you all.

Crystal

Crystal I am from Missouri too! St. Joseph actually!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #113
Rubber Obsessor

This thread sounded close to me, I have been a Texas State Trooper for 27 years now, on the road for 24 and 3 years ago, promoted to Criminal Inv. So different than traffic, and something new every day and great people to work with. The untold story is the planning for arrests, and surveillances, and paperwork, paperwork, If it's not in a report, it didn't happen. Thank goodness my husband is a Trooper also and I have my scrapbooking and card making for a break.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #114
Glitter Guru

Welcome Caroline! My DH can totally sympathize with the paperwork.....warrants, warrants, and more warrants!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #115
kraf*T*y mama

My husband has to deal with the paperwork too. They write TONS of reports! The computers in the cars are helping with the time it takes and the kickbacks due to errors but it still drives him crazy when he was to take a report on something he KNOWS is BS and will probably go directly to file 13.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #116
Glitter Guru

I doubt there are many police officers that enjoy paperwork! I know that the warrants my DH writes seems to say the EXACT same thing over and over in like 45 pages....not something I would prefer to do!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #117
kraf*T*y mama

Hi girls how's it goin? I know I have been totally MIA lately! Baby Blake arrived on 10-06 I can't believe he is almost 2 months old!

Just thought I would let you all know that High Hopes Stamps has some cute police officer stamps!!!! They are in Canada but pretty reasonable, the owner is great to work with as I called with a question and actually spoke with the owner!

Old 12-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #118
Insane Embellisher

Hi all! I just noticed this thread and thought I'd say hello. My DH is a police officer... uniformed patrol for eight years now, with some other positions for a few years before that.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #119
Stampin' Fool

I just noticed this thread too! My DH has been a police officer (RCMP--in Canada) for 5 years We are on our second posting and will be moving again in less than 2 years. It has been interesting reading this thread.

My Blog
My Gallery

Old 02-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #120
Polyshrink Goddess

I am digging up an old thread here, It is almost 10:00pm and I am reading old threads waiting for DH to get home! copsmonkey, DH is with METRO up in robbery! been there almost 5 years!