Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 12-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #481
Insane Embellisher

Hi everybody. Yesterday it became official. Eliza Jane is now ours! All of our older children were there. It was a wonderful thing! Talk about a CHRISTmas present! We are so very blessed. Now we will be waiting to hear about our baby Joel. 1 down, 1 to go.
And Debbi, I agree with you. We chose these children. They are our children every bit as much as our birth children. GOD just chose another way to get them to our family!
Everyone have a blessed and Merry CHRISTmas!

What do I love doing best?
Enjoying my one year old gifts from GOD!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 12-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #482
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to scrown8301 Send a message via Yahoo to scrown8301

Peggysue, I am so sorry that your mom made a comment like that. It's kind of a different situtation but my MIL made a comment in front of my then 6yr old dd. My MIL was playing in the lake near her house with my neices and nephews. DD didn't want to go in there because she like me is afraid of water. My MIL got upset that DD didn't want to play in the water and she actually said (and I qoute), "Fine, be that way, I'm going to go play with my real grandkids." (DD is not my DH's, she was 5 when I met DH so my MIL is her stepgrandma) MIL stalked off and DD looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "mom why doesn't she like me?" DD trully didn't understand. I tried my best to console her and I opted not to say anything to MIL cause DH and I hadn't gotten married yet (it was 2 weeks before our wedding). Well two years later DD was still upset and she walked on eggshells around MIL trying to do anything and everything to make sure that MIL liked her as much as "her real grandkids". Finally I said something to MIL. She didn't even remember making that comment. She was trully sorry and apologized to DD and has since gone out of her way to make sure DD knows she loves her. But my point is, (yes I actually have a point), if you don't say something to your mom she could continue to make these remarks not thinking anything is wrong with making them and word could get back to your DD later down the road, or she could make a remark in front of your DD. Just tell your mom that you love your DD as much as if she were biologically yours and your wish your mom would do the same. Tell her how it hurts you when she makes like she does. Maybe she doesn't even know it hurts you. Just tell her that you realize she wasn't supportive over the adoption in the first place but what's done is done and she just needs to make the best of it and learn to love your DD for the great little girl she is.

Sorry that ended up so long.....
Unread 12-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #483
Stazon Splitcoast

Wohoo Shelley!! So excited for you!!! Did you take lots of pics?
Unread 12-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #484
Insane Embellisher

We took a ton of pictures! It was such a wonderful low key atmosphere. It was a small courtroom. Eliza is a very high spirited child. We were trying to entertain her and keep her occupied as the judge sat across a table from us to read all of the papers to us. I handed her the bottle cap to her bottle. As the judge declared her a Davis she rared back and threw the bottle cap at him. He was so sweet about the whole thing. Thank heaven.
Thank you all for your kindness and listening to me. All of your stories will have happy endings too.

Unread 12-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #485
Stazon Splitcoast

Shelley, that is very exciting! Congratulations! I can just imagine you're going to celebrate that day every year from now on.

Sharon, it is a good idea to talk to my mom about it, I suppose. A few have suggested that she isn't aware of what she is saying, or doesn't quite mean it. She does. She followed me out to the car a year after I adopted to make sure that I knew that she was against it when we decided to get DD and she is still against it and will never accept her as one of her 'real' grandkids. And made a point to tell me that this child is not included in their will. She means every nasty word. But you are right, it is worth it to try to say something.
Unread 12-20-2006, 05:57 PM   #486
Insane Embellisher

Oh my heartbreaks for you girls. I remember when we adopted our daughter Grace 17 years ago from Korea. My folks said that they could never love her. I think it is so hard to understand this kind of cruelty. I was heartbroken. But it wasn't my words, but my daughter who won them over by just being her. Fast forward to this day. We just bought plane tickets for Pensacola to meet up with two of my sisters and their husbands at my parents house. We are introducing Eliza and Joel to them all. Comments have been made like "how could you love little nigger babies?", "do they smell bad?" Excuse me? They are just ignorant! How could anyone with intelligence say these things about GOD's children? And I'm related to them?
It is true that we can pick our friends but not our relatives. Do I expect a miracle breakthrough from this trip? No. I don't believe that will be happening. But if they choose to entertain these nasty thoughts and ugly words against my children they will have to do so with memories of their sweet little faces and how they call me mommy and my husband daddy. And they will have to do it knowing full well that we are the only parents these children have ever had.
You can only be responsible for how you yourself behave. Weather you adopt children of different races or of your own people will always questions how we could love "anothers" child. That's it we have been given the great secret knowledge of knowing they are not anothers child because they were given to us by GOD himself!

Unread 12-21-2006, 05:44 AM   #487
SCS Moderator

Peggy I am so sorry.
Shelley I am literally sitting her with tears in my eyes-I cannot fathom how I would feel if anyone in my family made such horrific comments to me.

Quote:
You can only be responsible for how you yourself behave. Weather you adopt children of different races or of your own people will always questions how we could love "anothers" child. That's it we have been given the great secret knowledge of knowing they are not anothers child because they were given to us by GOD himself!
so true!!!

Unread 12-21-2006, 05:50 AM   #488
Stazon Splitcoast

Shelley, it breaks my heart to hear that level of ignorance. I hope your children never have to hear someting like that said in their presence. But again, what a special gift to have Eliza Jane be yours now legally.

Every child deserves a loving, happy, secure home in which to grow up and I'm glad Eliza Jane can have that with you.
Unread 12-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #489
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley Davis
Hi everybody. Yesterday it became official. Eliza Jane is now ours! All of our older children were there. It was a wonderful thing! Talk about a CHRISTmas present! We are so very blessed. Now we will be waiting to hear about our baby Joel. 1 down, 1 to go.
And Debbi, I agree with you. We chose these children. They are our children every bit as much as our birth children. GOD just chose another way to get them to our family!
Everyone have a blessed and Merry CHRISTmas!
God bless you new family, Shelley!!!
Unread 12-27-2006, 12:31 PM   #490
Insane Embellisher

Oh thank you so much! We have been so blessed with these children. Thank you all for letting me share my (almost) unspeakable joy with you.

Unread 01-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #491
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via AIM to mbowlingm68

I thought I would share my adoption story after reading all of them posted here. After 20 years and two miscarriages (both after 15 weeks), we adopted a little girl. After being married for 8 1/2 years and an emergency hysterectomy, we decided to adopt. We were not even finished with our classes when our social worker told us about a two little boys. We met them and two days later found out that the "Mother" wanted them back after two years. That was really hard. Well, the next month, she called and asked us if we would be interested in adopting an "older" child. She had just turned 10. We talked about it and decided that we would not say no until we had met her. We were in the room with her for 5 minutes and she had already changed her name (first, middle, and last which they say is normal for older children). She decided that she wanted to be Leah Grace and not Tiffany. On our two hour drive home, we decided that she would become the newest member of the Moore home. She was absolutely the sweetest little girl we had ever met. Her story is so sad that it still makes me cry everytime I think about all that she had been through. To make a long story short, she was in a foster home with two of her three siblings for about two years. After that time, the foster family decided that they did not want her, and adopted her two sisters and placed her with DHS again. We met and brought her home about 2 months after she was placed back with DHS. She came to live with us in March and the adoption was final in October. The social worker said that they usually don't start the process until the child has been with the family for a year, but since it was such a great fit and there had been absolutely no problems, they expedited the process in 6 months. Needless to say, I have the daughter that I never thought I would have. I would love to adopt one or two more. We will see what the Lord has in store for us. We are a licensed foster/adoptive home in our state.

Sorry that I was so long winded. I just get excited telling her story.

Thanks for listening.

Melinda
Unread 01-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #492
Die Cut Diva

Melinda,
That is such a neat story. Thanks for sharing it. I am so sorry you and your husband went through so much heartache. At the same time I am rejoicing with you on your new daughter!!!

Unread 01-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #493
Stazon Splitcoast

Melinda, wow, what a great story! I am so happy that this little girl now has a family who wants her and that you have the daughter you have always wanted.
Unread 01-04-2007, 09:04 AM   #494
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to sillyscrappergirl

It has taken me 2 days to read ALL of the posts! LOL DH and I have 2 biological children 3yo girl and 6yo boy. We had decided that we had our perfect little family and didn't want to have any more kids. We are now fostering a 6 1/2 month old little girl that was born 2 months early and had drugs in her system. This is a relatives child so it was easier to get her but when parental rights are terminated and I feel like they will, it's going to be a major battle for DH and I. We should be going back to court sometime in February since that will be the 3 month mark, and I will know more then. Then I think the CW said by the 6 month mark they will have made a decision regarding reunification or adoption. We are so hoping for adoption because this is the 3rd or 4th time her kids have been in the system. I know she loves them, I just don't think she wants to take care of them.

We did have to go through all the same things it just didn't take as long. (Homestudy, background checks, all that stuff) The Mom has visitation but rarely ever comes to see her or her 3 older brothers (they all live in the same town as we do).

It's nice to be able to read your stories and be able to relate, I have lots of support from DH and other family members that think she should stay with us, but it's nice to know that you're not the only one!
Unread 01-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #495
Die Cut Diva

Teresa, welcome and thanks for sharing your story. Bravo for reading all of our posts for the last 2 days!! I don't think I have even read them all.

Unread 01-10-2007, 06:58 AM   #496
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, I finally made it through all the posts also. Took awhile. I posted earlier but it never went through. I won't repeat it as it was long. Just wanted to let you all know the wait is well worth it. We waited 7 years for our Casey(my avatar, isn't she beautiful). To the birth mothers on here THANK YOU. Your sacrifice is second only to the sacrifice of Jesus. Trust that we are loving your children and giving them what you wanted. You are always in our prayers. God's Blessings to those of you still waiting. God has already made plans for you and will reveal when it is perfect for all of you. I will pray for all of you. Never give up. It will happen.
God's Blessings to all,
Lynette
Unread 01-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #497
Glitter Guru

Lynette, she is a darling child! Congrats, even after the fact.

I had asked for prayer for my daughter (on another thread, I think) over the holidays, as she went into the hospital for a pretty intense surgery. I just wanted to let anyone who was praying for us know that we are home, she is healing well, and we are hoping that she will be able to return to school before the end of the month. She had a Mitrofanoff Procedure done, along with a bladder augmentation (with a chunk of intestine) and a bladder sling, so they carved her up pretty seriously. The incision site is looking great, and the hoses coming from her belly/bladder are all working, and taking out clean, healthy-looking fluids, just as we want.

Sorry if it was TMI, but I just wanted to let those of you who were aware know that your prayers were felt, clung to, and appreciated.
Unread 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #498
Mad Swapper

Hi everyone,
I am not going through the adoption process, but I am a 42-year old adoptee (and reunited with both birthparents) and have been reading through some of the comments and wanted to say a few things.

First off, some have asked how to deal with your kids that have been adopted. My only suggestion is BE HONEST!! As an adoptee I have been in many support groups over the past few years and I hear of adoptees who were lied to by their parents ... never telling them they were adopted (unless it was obvious because of a different race) and then hearing it slip out from a relative or family friend. I can't imagine anything being more heartbreaking. My parents alwaysy told my sister and I were were adopted and wedidn't know any different. WE grew up in the best home I could ever imagine. I would have thoughts of where I came from, but I never had the feelings that I wasn't with my "real" family. From the time I was a small child, my Mom said that when the time came, if I wanted to search for my birth parents, she would be the first one to help. She was so confident in our relationship and there was never any reason for her to think she was anythng less than my MOM, even though we were not biologically connected.

O.K., the "real" factor comes in now - it really bothers me when people would ask about my "real" parents. My REAL parents are the ones who adopted me and raised me. I am reunited with both of my birthparents (not married to eachother) and when people say "how is your Mom" ... it really upsets me. My Mom passed away in January 2003, just a few months after I had my reunions. My Mom is my Mom ... not my birthmother. I adore my birthmom, but she can never take the place of my Mom.

That's it ... i look forward to reading the rest of the posts. Congratulations to all of you who have adopted ... and for those of you who have your adoptions yet to take place. Adoption is a wonderful thing !!!

Simmy
Unread 01-16-2007, 11:29 PM   #499
Stazon Splitcoast

Simmy, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I agree that it is very important to tell your kids where they come from. You were certainly blessed to have some wonderful parents. Your mom sounds like she was an amazing and strong woman. I'm sorry for your loss. I know it has been a few years but I am still sorry.

Teresa and Lynette, welcome to the group. This group doesn't post much but these are a great bunch of women.

Dawna, I am so glad to hear that your DD made it through the surgery and is doing well. What a brave little angel you have.

As for us, I have finally decided to have a hysterectomy. I can't handle the pain anymore. It is just too great. I realized that when we do adopt what kind of mom will I be able to be if I am too sick to take care of my kids. So it was hard decision to come to but I think it is the right one. I am going to be seeing the doctor in two weeks. Hopefully he still agrees that this is the best route. I havent seen him in months so we will see. As far as the adoption goes, The kids that we were fostering have now been approved for a sibling split which means that we could adopt the 8 yr old boy that we so desperately want. But we discussed it and feel that it wouldn't be the right thing. His sister who was also with us for the two months (almost two months) would be devastated if we adopted him and not her. We would adopt her but she doesn't like my DD. She is very jealous of her. So it was a hard decision but we feel we have made the right one. DH and I also decided that we will save up our money and look at pursuing an international adoption. We aren't sure what country we will look at. I think it will depend on what each countries policies are and such at the time and which we feel is the right one.

Anyhow, that is it from here. How is everyone else doing?
Unread 01-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #500
Stazon Splitcoast

Sharon,
What tough decisions you had to make. OI pray your surgery will all go well and your healing time quickened! I also hope your answers to the child you are meant to have are clear!
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Unread 01-28-2007, 06:00 AM   #501
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to sillyscrappergirl

Just thought I would pop in to share my latest update! I had my 3 month hearing early (Jan. 25) and Kaitlyn's parents didn't show up so that didn't look good on them. He decided that since she was doing so well in our home and with my bio children that if "Mom and Dad" hadn't made any progress towards getting her back by May 16th then they would terminate rights that day and process our adoption!!! Kaitlyn's lawyer who was appointed by the state is processing all of the paperwork for us so we will not have to pay for any of that to be done.

I really wish "Mom and Dad" could get their lives back on track, even if just for their own sake. It is really hard to see someone you love going down a one way street THE WRONG WAY! I think rehab is the only way they are going to beat this problem but I can't tell other people how to live. Just my humble opinion.

I hope everyone is doing good and making progress in their adoptions. I am so glad I found this thread.
Unread 01-28-2007, 07:21 AM   #502
SCS Moderator

Hope it continues to go well for you and your family and that the bio-parents get the help they need.

Unread 01-28-2007, 08:52 AM   #503
Glitter Guru

Send a message via MSN to stampin_melissa Send a message via Yahoo to stampin_melissa

For those that have already adopted I am wondering if any of you have experienced this. I have signed up Troy to start Pre-K at the public school here in IL. The pre-K program is a grant from the state, and is free. Troy is supposed to start on Monday. On Friday I received this note in the mail:

“Going through our records, we noticed your child was born outside the United States. New guidelines are requiring us to find out the date your child arrived in the United States and the birth mothers maiden name. If you could please provide this information on the lines provided below, we would sincerely appreciate it. If you have any questions, please feel free to call the school Principal at”. . . . .

When I first read it I was upset, but not really sure why I felt offended. I realized that they don’t provide what “new guidelines” require this information. Who knows, the principal may want this or it may be a new state or federal law? Second, I don’t see how the date that Troy arrived in the U.S. is relevant to his education. Perhaps if they asked for proof of citizenship it might be different to ensure his eligibility, which I would understand.

I may be snarky here, but is the “date your child arrived in the U.S.” the date I brought him on a trip from Germany and he got his US citizenship or the date that we moved from Germany and took up residence here in IL? Again, what importance is the date anyway? (We provided several proof of residency, so residency shouldn’t be an issue.) Does every child born overseas have to provide this information or just adopted ones? Being military I know that thousands of children are born overseas to military families without being adopted.

Another note, what business is it of anyone’s what the birth mother’s maiden name is? What if we don’t know this information? What business is it for the school, state or federal government to know the birth mother’s maiden name in order for him to attend school AFTER he has been legally adopted?

We have decided to just ignore this letter until we have more information. If we ignore it perhaps it will just go away????? *insert wishful thinking here* I knew that issues would come up when he entered school, but I wasn’t expecting it to be these types of questions.

If anyone has experienced anything like this would you please share your story and how you dealt with it? I would really appreciate any insight you might have.
Unread 01-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #504
Insane Embellisher

Hi Melissa,
I would call the principal and let him know your circumstances. Let him know that you have been a resident since when ever, then let him know that your son is a citizen now. I think they are trying to make sure that his is a legal citizen. If you look at his new birth certificate, you are listed as birth mother. Yep. He is yours!

Unread 01-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #505
SCS Moderator

I agree with Shelley. I think that is absolutely nutty. Aside from that, it is honestly nobody's business what his birthmaother's maiden name was.

My name is on Camden's birth certificate and I am his mom-period.

Unread 01-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #506
Glitter Guru

Send a message via MSN to stampin_melissa Send a message via Yahoo to stampin_melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley Davis
Hi Melissa,
I would call the principal and let him know your circumstances. Let him know that you have been a resident since when ever, then let him know that your son is a citizen now. I think they are trying to make sure that his is a legal citizen. If you look at his new birth certificate, you are listed as birth mother. Yep. He is yours!
The entire situation still irritates me. I understand they may be concerned about his citizenship, but honestly if they wanted that info they should have asked for that info not the date he entered the states or birth mothers maiden name.

I have heard from another mother that adopted from Armenia and had similiar problems with her public school in PA. But they wanted the original birth certificate (originially they were given the translated copy with the adoption decree, but they lost all the paperwork.)

I gave the school a copy of the original birth certificate and it does list David and I as parents. And when it all boils down to it, the legal issue is whether Troy is a citizen since the law passed in 1996 does not allow foreign children to attend public school for free. It doesn't matter what date he entered the country or birth mother's maiden name. He can attend public school if he isn't a citizen, but we would have to pay for it.

(see how emboldened I get when I find out info on the internet?) LOL! I found this government website:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1269.html

Perhaps I can swing by the principal's office tomorrow when I drop him off.
Unread 01-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #507
Insane Embellisher

Oh yes Melissa! Stop by and have a little sit down with the principal. I agree with you. I will be interested to find out what he has to say.

Unread 01-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #508
SCS Moderator

Maybe you can just put down "Nunya" for mother's maiden name-as in "Nunya buisness!"

Unread 01-31-2007, 07:32 AM   #509
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by camsmom
Maybe you can just put down "Nunya" for mother's maiden name-as in "Nunya buisness!"
Unread 02-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #510
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Britta, you just crack me up!

I spoke with the principal this morning and he really didn't have much info, just that he thought that the requirements were related to language tests. He sent me to see the secretary that is responsible for gathering the info.

She reports to the state (we're in IL) the date that the child entered the country because the child is "exempt" (I can't remember if that was the exact word she used) from some of the testing requirements for three years. I guess this is to allow children some time to catch up. We used the date that we returned to the US this summer, not the date I brought him back to get his citizenship.

Now for the "birth mother's maiden name" issue. They wanted my maiden name (I never did really figure out why and got sidetracted, but I'm okay with this). The reference to "birth mother" is for the situation of blended families where the child may reside with the father and step-mother. The issue was not related to adoptions.

I did find out the the principal has adopted three children himself, (one of the secretaries stated that they were international adoptions.) So I guess I'll give the school a break and not storm the place.
Unread 02-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #511
Die Cut Diva

Melissa,
Glad everything worked out okay!

Unread 02-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #512
Stazon Splitcoast

Yay Melissa! I'm so glad things worked out! Wohoo!
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #513
SCS Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin_melissa
Britta, you just crack me up!

I spoke with the principal this morning and he really didn't have much info, just that he thought that the requirements were related to language tests. He sent me to see the secretary that is responsible for gathering the info.

She reports to the state (we're in IL) the date that the child entered the country because the child is "exempt" (I can't remember if that was the exact word she used) from some of the testing requirements for three years. I guess this is to allow children some time to catch up. We used the date that we returned to the US this summer, not the date I brought him back to get his citizenship.

Now for the "birth mother's maiden name" issue. They wanted my maiden name (I never did really figure out why and got sidetracted, but I'm okay with this). The reference to "birth mother" is for the situation of blended families where the child may reside with the father and step-mother. The issue was not related to adoptions.

I did find out the the principal has adopted three children himself, (one of the secretaries stated that they were international adoptions.) So I guess I'll give the school a break and not storm the place.
yeah!

I checked Cam's birth certificate and it says (nice and bold of course)
"Not Proof of Citizenship".

Does yours show teh same thing-and was it an issue (like did you have to bring anything else to prove he was a citizen?)
I am registering Cam in a few months and am trying to make sure I do not have any surprises. Thanks!

Unread 02-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #514
Compulsive Stamper

Default New to Thread

Good evening ladies! Over the last 3 months I have been trying to read all of your threads - and even started to reply a couple of times. I guess tonight is the night I get out there and stop looking in from the outside! First of all - thanks to all of you for being such strong and honest women! It takes a lot to put it all out there - and I commend each of you. WOW!

My husband (sorry, I am working on all the shortened versions of things - DH, DS, etc) and I are looking at beginnning the process of foster to adopt. We started the process in Nov. filling out the paperwork - and finally have gotten an orientation set up for the end of Feb. Then starts the classes.

I just wanted to get a little feedback from you in terms of how did you know this was the right thing to do for you and your family. We have 2 little boys (6 & 3) and I am afraid of hurting them. As much as it would devestate me to bring a little guy into our home and then the birth family deciding they wanted him back - I don't know how I could explain that to our little guys. I hope that makes sense.

This is something I have being praying about - and all the time I just keep hearing this voice in my head telling me it will all work out. I know some would say if I have doubts - it isn't the right thing for us. But, it isn't really doubts - just mom worries I think. Anyway, we have a long road in front of us - I don't know how you all managed - I am not a sit tight and wait girl - so this is going to be the longest ride of my life!!!

Thanks for listening - and thanks again for this thread. Again, finding it was just another thing I had been asking for guidance on. You all take care!
Unread 02-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #515
Glitter Guru

For those of you who have done foreign adoptions... have you considered re-adopting in your state? This would basically get you a birth certificate from your state, and resolves a lot of the problems like Melissa is dealing with. I haven't done it yet, myself, but a friend of mine and I are planning on doing it together. You can do it without a lawyer if you are willing to do the research and all the legwork. I'm not totally convinced I really need to do it, but my other adoptive moms have strongly encouraged it.
Unread 02-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #516
SCS Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paws2ink
For those of you who have done foreign adoptions... have you considered re-adopting in your state? This would basically get you a birth certificate from your state, and resolves a lot of the problems like Melissa is dealing with. I haven't done it yet, myself, but a friend of mine and I are planning on doing it together. You can do it without a lawyer if you are willing to do the research and all the legwork. I'm not totally convinced I really need to do it, but my other adoptive moms have strongly encouraged it.
we did finalize the adoption here in MD-in fact I just got some new copies of his birth certificate done since i was thinking i would need them for school registration. That is why the big stamp across it made me confused.

Unread 02-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #517
Insane Embellisher

Hi Ladies,
I am glad everything worked out Melissa. We got a flag that flew over the White House on the days of our foreign adoptions. I don't know if we could do that with our in state adoptions. I didn't even think to find out.
Tomorrow our adoption with Joel becomes final. We sit down for adoption negotiations. Yeah!!! Our case worker was out Wednesday. Joel's birth mother is pregnant again. She ask us to consider taking that baby. We just smiled and said no. She is only 21 (and already has 4 children). At this rate if we adopted all of his future sibs we could end up with 12-18 more! We are definately done.
For any of you considering foster to adopt, if you adopt a child, you also are ask first about any future sibs that come into custody. We have friends who have 6 sibs. They started with #1. The birth mom just kept having babies.
Think about all our excitement tomorrow. We have been truly blessed.

Unread 02-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #518
Glitter Guru

Quote:
yeah!

I checked Cam's birth certificate and it says (nice and bold of course)
"Not Proof of Citizenship".

Does yours show teh same thing-and was it an issue (like did you have to bring anything else to prove he was a citizen?)
I am registering Cam in a few months and am trying to make sure I do not have any surprises. Thanks!
My birth certificate is in Armenian, although I do have a translation from Armenia. The school did not require any proof of citizenship. They just took copies of the actual birth certificate and the translation, then just the other proof of residency like utility bill, etc. I took a copy of the adoption certificate (and the translation) but didn't offer it and they didn't ask. Today I brought his citizenship certificate, again I didn't offer it and they didn't ask. So I don't know how they "know" he's a citizen, but I wasn't about to argue it. I was too gear up to fight the "birth mother's maiden name" issue and was just relieved that it wasn't an issue. *sigh*
Unread 02-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #519
Stazon Splitcoast

Yay Shelley! So excited for you!!!

willetjk, Welcome!! My advice to you would be to go through the classes and see how you feel when you are done with them. Each state is different. Each worker is different. We had a worker here who thought we were perfect for a sibling group of 2 and she in the end turned us down because DH is Army. Another worker turned us down for a boy we had in our home for 7 weeks because she wants him to be adopted with his brother even though the judge said no. But I have known other people in our state who have had no issues doing foster to adopt. I think we are running into so many hurdles because it just isn't the right time for us. (DH is deploying in less then 2 months and is actually leaving in 2 days for 6 weeks for training. I have some medical issues etc.) But I would say, take the classes and then see how you feel. Talk to other people in your area who have done foster to adopt. And listen to your heart, it will work out.
Unread 02-01-2007, 10:50 PM   #520
Polyshrink Goddess

Very happy for you Shelley. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending prayers out as well. Such a happy day for all.
God Bless,
Lynette