Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Smile From The State Of Crafting Bliss

Hi everyone I'm new to this site although I think I joined one time under a different name with a e-mail account I no longer use. I often go by the crafting name of Myoriah. I guess you could say she is my alter ego because she is more adventurous than I normally am. She isn't afraid to make mistakes and perfection goes out the window. O.K. maybe I don't really have an alter ego but it takes courage to get outside of your comfort zone and to not dwell on every mistake that is made on a project. I used to throw out a card that I made a mistake on and my roommate would take it out of the garbage and show it to friends with the words "Look what awesome card she created. I don't know why she threw it out." Word to the wise if you are going to throw out something make sure no one else has access to it.

I've been stamping off and on for decades now. Starting my journey when I saw Carol Duval on television. For awhile my stamps gathered dust but stamps and ink pads seemed to always get packed up when I moved. When my sister and I finally made up after a time being apart from each other for a reason neither of us remember I realized that stamping would bring us close together again as she still loved to stamp. Although distance now separate us we can share via e-mail and once in awhile I will travel with stamps and other crafting goodies to have a few days of crafting bliss.

Right now I am part of a design team. Whether I'll be allowed to stay on the team is anyone's guess but it has been a growing experience. It was well worth my submitting to teams and being rejected time and time again. Although I must confess that I was beginning to wonder if I was deluding myself with thinking that I had talent for designing.

When submitting applications I'm always never sure how to answer the question about what my stamping style is. I can honestly say it would be easier to state that it is usually not clean and simple although I have tried a few times. I can honestly say my style is frugal although to look at my "playroom" you may question that statement. I can also say that my style is experimental with a lot of I wonder if that will work. Sometimes it will work and other times it will not. Sometimes I discover that products don't play nicely together. Then there are times when there are "happy accidents" like when my tissue wrapping paper peeled away from the plastic I had adhered it to with acrylic floor wax leaving a solid piece. (See the first photo in the gallery where I used torn pieces of tissue paper.)

Although I have drawers of pattern card stock I often create my own backgrounds. And the one card stock I'm constantly running out of is white. The last couple of years I've also found myself creating more mixed media cards.

I've mainly done cards but this year I've been working on pieces to decorate my apartment with. Giving the apartment more of my stamp. (pun intended) In fact right now I'm working outside my comfort zone on a piece using one of my photos and lots of stamps. (I promise I'll share it next month) Yes, I have a ton of photos and I'm using those more in my work. Although creating scrapbook pages does not appeal to me. Not to say that in the future I might not start to create some pages.

A lady never tells her age but I will admit to being retired which gives me the opportunity to live in a constant state of crafting bliss. Other than when my two dogs are looking at me with crossed legs insisting they have to go out. Or looking at me with begging eyes telling me they are going to starve to death unless I immediately get up and feed them.

If you have read this far thanks for taking the time. Also thanks to the wonderful people who have already made me feel welcome with their comments on my creations.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome, welcome! I loved reading your post! I like the idea of an alter ego - I think many of us feel like a different person when we are creating something. We all have daily concerns and worries, and it's great to put them away for a while and just be in the moment.

I'm also retired, and love having the time to get lost in a project. I'm inclined to be a night owl, and now I can keep going as long as I want, and not be at the mercy of that dreaded alarm clock.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
CherylQuilts likes this post.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Myoriah and welcome from New Zealand! I am also retired, and maybe no lady as I am happy to say I am 55! Defining ones style can be tricky, and like you, I probably would find it easier to say what it is not. That is great you are making things for your own environment - yay for you!
Stephanie
Old 07-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
Proud Fan Club Member

Welcome. welcome! I'm not retired and still have to answer to "the dreaded alarm clock", but I'll never lie about my age - just hit the big SIX-O, and earned every year, thank you very much!

I don't worry about defining my style any more than I care about wearing any other label, so no worries there ! Congrats on being on a design team and glad you've re-joined us!

Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh, Myoriah, what a fun post, and I loved reading it all! LOL! I love your sense of humor and am so glad you've shared so much of yourself with us. What fun, and welcome back. I too am retired and happy not to worry about alarm clocks. One of the nicer things about retirement. I think many of us have trouble defining our style, but the point is having fun. Hope you enjoy being here - again! Hugs!