Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default Paper Saver Techniques

Can anyone share with me techniques that you use to save paper besides cutting out the inside for a matte? Thanks. (I also know about using the wrappers for shaker tags instead of using the acetate) Any more ideas?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Die Cut Diva

wrappers for shakers? Huh?

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Insane Embellisher

I find there are a number of techniques that help to save on paper. For one, I often use a direct to paper inking or sponging ink on the edges of a the card I have stamped the main image on. This gives the illusion of a layer without actually using an additional layer of paper. Using a fancy inking technique on the background of an image can help reduce the need for more layers also. Shadow stamps are good for this too.

Embellishments can reduce the need for cardstock. A bit of ribbon or an eyelet can dress up a simple card. Also the paper piecing techniques where you put a series of small holes along the edges in a decorative pattern. This is really inexpensive and reduces the need for lots of matting.

When scrapbooking, I find that using sketches like the ones available on the Creating Keepsakes Magazine website gives the overall layout a sense of organization and movement. I find that using these sketches, I put more pictures on each layout and matte fewer of them, choosing to matte only the feature or emphasized photo, rather than all of them.

Sometimes it is just as nice to put little photo corners on your image rather than matte it. Stampin' Up has these in one of their tag sheet punch outs, but I simply cut a scrap of paper into 1/2" x 1". Then I find the half way point of the long side and use my stylus to impress fold lines from the center of the long side to the opposite corner, making a triangle tracing. Then it can be folded down into a photo corner. Sometimes it is enough to simply put a strip of paper on two sides, leaving the center unmatted.

Finally, I find it very important to have a good organizational system for my cardstock. I have mine in hanging files with each labeled. Four colors per file. I file ALL my scraps. You never know when even the smallest piece is useful. Like the photo corners, for example. You only need 4 scraps at 1/2" x 1". Sometimes I design projects specifically to use up some of these small scraps creatively, like mosiacs of paper clippings. I often find the projects upon which I place such restriction turn out the most creative.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:22 PM   #4
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Making card 'fronts' are a great way to save paper. Just use a 1/4 sheet of SU paperto create your masterpiece and mount your 'card art' on less expensive CS for the actual card. I use the confetti paper from Office Depot. It comes already scored and perforated for a standard envies. It stamps pretty well for a message and image on the inside too.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:13 AM   #5
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcopes
wrappers for shakers? Huh?
Are you asking what I mean?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

Default Double Huh!

Hi, I don't know what a "wrapper for shaker" is either. By all means, clue us in. Kathy
Old 01-31-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Crimping Master

I've wondered this too. I don't know what you are talking about with the shaker things either. Actually, when you talked about cutting out the inside for the matte are you saying that you cut the middle out? I've often thought about doing that but wondered about it. Do you always do that or just for samples?

Ok, also, are there any quilters out there that can put in their two cents? My mom is a quilter (I want to but need more time) But when cutting out pieces for her quilt she seems to be able to tell me not to cut it "this way" cut it like this instead and you will save on your fabric. Or she'll tell me if I cut it another way that I won't have enough material for all my pieces. But she can't explain it to me.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Old 01-31-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher

Ok, all of your jolee's boutique, stickers, packaging, etc... take that and use the wrapper for the window in your shaker tags instead of acetate. It is free since you bought the stickers, etc. anyway.

I always cut out the middle and matte my layers. It saves a ton of paper. If it is too small, I often take my punches and cut out the middle of a layer. You can't see it on the finished effect and it often serves as another scrap I can use later.

What I was looking for is what techniques do you guys use to stretch paper when doing scrapping layouts? I have a customer who wants to stretch her dollar as far as possible on patterend paper and wants me to do a workshop to this effect.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Hardware Hotshot

Default Gottit!

OIC! Recycling plastic wrappers. Cutting out middle layers under stuff, to save paper! Will try that. Thanks

My sister is a quilter. For Angie, I asked my sis about the fabric saving stuff. She said that you need to get fat quarters if you want squares more than a quarter of a yard wide (9"), but as for "saving fabric" by cutting it a certain way, that's all geometry to her and she mostly does scrappy quilts that being precise doesn't matter.

Kathy
Old 01-31-2005, 07:09 PM   #10
Insane Embellisher

Does anyone else have any advice for me?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:00 AM   #11
Hardware Hotshot

Default Stretching paper

Hi, Lady. Don't know what else to call as you are incognito. I make patterened paper go further two ways: 1) by using a strip of it kind of like a ribbon along the side of the card, and 2) by using the patterened paper with punches and using the punched out pieces as embellishments.

Happy stamping. Kathy, f/k/a Katheryn48
Old 02-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #12
Insane Embellisher

Thanks. This customer is a scrapper though but we can incorporate those ideas.