Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Newbie here/thinking about becoming SU demo

Hi there! I am thinking about becoming a SU demo. If you are a demo can you offer some insight? What do you like/not like? How much time do you invest per week/month? Do you feel the amount of $ you make is worth the time you are investing?

Feel free to email me directly.
Thanks
Kim
[email protected]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #2
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Wow...it's difficult to remember back to when I signed up (a little over 5 years ago) but I went to one SU party and absolutely fell in love with the stamps. I had already been stamping for about 4 years so I knew the quality was just what I was looking for. I already was spending $100+ a month so I really was just looking to be a hobby demonstrator.

I love SU...I find the quality is almost always consistently good and service through DS is for the most part good too. I do between 3 and 6 parties/workshops a months (yes...I still think of myself as a hobby demo just with a REALLY HUGE addiction! )

How much time I invest is truly difficult to say although I would say that it averages to between 6-10 week for prep and party...I little more when doing a 10-10-10 or a stamp camp.

Is the money worth the time invested? Hmmm...that would truly depend on how you figure it. Do a make money? Probably not all that much when you look at all the prep time for a party. Do I have an absolute blast doing this? Absolutely without hestitation YES! I would not give it up. I have met so many wonderful, fantastic people through my workshops that I now consider friends. I have met such creative, giving people online (who I have never met in person) who I consider friends.

I live in an SU saturated area which is also in an economic downturn that makes the building end difficult but I would not give it up for anything. I think you need to look at why you want to get into this and whether it is a good decision for you.

Good Luck!
Old 01-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Kim, There are TONS of threads about this on this site, I will do a search for you so you can get some of the threads to read through!
Old 01-22-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
Insane Embellisher

Default Considering becoming a SU demonstrator...

Just to let you know how I got involved with SU -

I had never been to a workshop, class, stamp camp or ANYTHING but just SAW some items that had been stamped by a friend I new from church. I had her come over and talk to me about being a demonstrator (since I had a 1 1/2 yr. old at the time and she also had a young child - but was able to do it.) I asked a BUNCH of questions and she gave me a catalog to look through and the video to watch. Needless to say, I ended up signing up shortly after and asked a friend to be my first hostess. I had 1 week from the time I got my starter kit to the workshop date (that was psychotic of me ) but I did it and everyone was very supportive and it was a blast! I have continued with it for over a year now and have really enjoyed learning a new hobby/craft.

I always tell this story to people at workshops or people I think might be interested in demonstrating because it just shows that if it interests you, you can do it! I am NOT a crafty/creative person - but this has really helped me learn to be so.

I don't do a lot of workshops a month (maybe 1 a month or 2 if I can) but that's another wonderful thing about SU - you can make it what you want. If you want to do 8 workshops a month or 1 - as long as you're happy, that's THE most important thing! As my family continues to grow I simply adjust my stamping schedule to fit MY needs and the needs of my family - and try to make sure I'm have FUN whenever I can.

Hope this helps - good luck! And have FUN!
Old 01-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
Mad Swapper

Default Newbie here-thinking of becoming a SU demonstrator

Hi Kim, I signed up almost 6 years ago and still remember what made me do it.
I went to a workshop with my daughter....her friends' mom was hosting.
I had been stamping for a couple years and thought it would be fun to do. I was hooked instantly.
I bought a stamp set and 2 stamp pads and when they arrived I couldn't get enough of them. I had talked to the demonstrator at the workshop and she called me a couple times and I wanted the catalog. I finally had a party with her to get the catalog free. Most of my guests came and loved it too. I signed up a month later. In the begining it was great, I had enough parties to keep me going without pitching in my own money.
I wish I would have known other SU demos at the time and had parties with some others to see just how they did their workshop parties.
My upline demo was great in the begining but has just become too busy with other things and family that we don't talk for months on end. I have to check the SU site and come here to see what's new. I also have a great bunch of email friends and fellow SU demos that help me out a great deal...even if they don't realize it.
I do stamp classes now and not many workshop parties.....I get just enough to help meet my minimum and I'm always working to increase that more. I love the discount of course, but I love the friendships I made. I've meet so many nice people that are excited to learn about stamping and scrapping....I'm going to remain a demo as long as I possibly can, it's been the best thing I've ever done in my life, except for my family. I did that right too!
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Old 01-22-2005, 05:10 PM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Re: being a demonstrator (2nd reply)

Sorry, I guess I didn't answer all your questions (I just realized).

Sometimes if I'm unable to do a workshop a month I don't make anything but I've also so over $1000 per month for a number of months in a row (not as many as maybe lots of other demos do but it works for me.) I've recently decided to just start plugging the $ I do make back into the "business/hobby" and also set aside $ for the July convention. I also don't spend hours each day stamping. I love SCS and the SU website and try to visit each at least 1 or 2 times a day for a few minutes but I really stamp in preparation for a workshop or event (and try to keep it to a few hours leading up to it.) I also don't do probably amazingly difficult stuff (YET!) but I'm working up to it.

Whatever you want to invest is what you can invest. Just have fun!
Good luck!
Old 01-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher

Default Re: re: being a demonstrator

Ok, you're going to think I really AM nuts...

That post from "Nuts4stamps" was really me (HoJo) but I wasn't logged on so it just listed 'nuts4stamps' as my name...

Anyway, hopefully I did it right this time. I'm still new to SCS and the whole "posting" think anyway.

Again, Good Luck! And Happy Stamping!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:36 PM   #9
Glitter Queen

Default can you be a consultant for another company?

I'm toying with the idea of signing up as a demo, but I'm consulting for a scrapbook company. Does SU have a non-compete clause?
Old 01-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: can you be a consultant for another company?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappychic
I'm toying with the idea of signing up as a demo, but I'm consulting for a scrapbook company. Does SU have a non-compete clause?
I believe they do. It would be in the demo agreement...have you had a chance to read it all through?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:47 AM   #11
Glitter Queen

No, is there one posted somewhere?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:53 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

You can either ask your demo or I am sure anyone of us demos on this site can email you one! If you have a demo that you are thinking about signing under give her a call and she can send you an email with it as an attachment. I have them as PDF files and I don't think they come any other way so you will atleast need the adobe reader...which if you don't have it you can go to teh sdobe website and download it for free...feel free to send me a PM with your email address if you would like me to send it to you.