Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-25-2019, 12:01 AM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Newbie here saying "hello"

Hello stampers!
My name is Alicia and I am new here. I have always had a crafty nature and have dabbled briefly in several crafts (scrapbooking, crocheting, drawing), and am now starting on cardmaking. I love putting thought and effort into a card for a loved one and hope that they like receiving them as much as I like making them!
I have been married for 17 years, no children. We have 2 furbabies (little dogs). Ruby is a chihuahua/dachsund/rat terrier mix with the BIGGEST ears you could imagine....lol........and Hardy is a Jack Russell mix. Hardy is my pride and joy, and he is the cutie in my avatar. <3 <3
I changed careers very recently. Worked in banking my whole life and made the decision (at 40+ years old) to go to x-ray school. I graduated in December and have been working as an x-ray tech since February and I absolutely LOVE it!
Let me see, what else. Well, basically I am excited to be on here and learn new techniques and tricks so that I can improve my cardmaking. I am a people person so I am equally as excited to make some friends on here!
Thank you for taking the time to read all of this. LOL I can kinda go on for a bit. Ooooopsies!
Alicia
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
wavejumper and hfscards.com like this post.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Rubber Obsessor

Welcome to the wonderful world of paper crafting ! You will love it. I have been making my own greeting cards for 40+ years, started out with hand stitched cards on unbleached muslin and construction paper. A little over 20 years ago I discovered the joys of rubber stamps, and keep evolving. I now use dies more than anything, but do add some rubber stamping. I have 3 Cricuts (baby bug, Expression and Special Anniv Expression with the 4 preloaded carts), a Gemini Jr, a Slice, and a Diamond Press. I did have a Cuttlebug but couldn't crank it and donated it to an assisted living facility. Love my Gemini Jr since it is electric. But, start off small. If using small metal dies, the little 2" Diamond Press hand cutter is perfect for starting. I belong to the Spellbinders Small Die of the Month club and nearly all their dies fit in the little Diamond Press. They have just developed a 4" Diamond Press but I haven't been able to find it anyplace yet. HSN is having a craft day Nov 5 and might have it then. Just take your time, and check out all the you tube videos on card making. Lots of excellent crafters who also give reviews on crafting tools will give you some insight as to how to get going. Enjoy crafting !
John 3:16
Hardy's Mom likes this post.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4551 View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of paper crafting ! You will love it. I have been making my own greeting cards for 40+ years, started out with hand stitched cards on unbleached muslin and construction paper. A little over 20 years ago I discovered the joys of rubber stamps, and keep evolving. I now use dies more than anything, but do add some rubber stamping. I have 3 Cricuts (baby bug, Expression and Special Anniv Expression with the 4 preloaded carts), a Gemini Jr, a Slice, and a Diamond Press. I did have a Cuttlebug but couldn't crank it and donated it to an assisted living facility. Love my Gemini Jr since it is electric. But, start off small. If using small metal dies, the little 2" Diamond Press hand cutter is perfect for starting. I belong to the Spellbinders Small Die of the Month club and nearly all their dies fit in the little Diamond Press. They have just developed a 4" Diamond Press but I haven't been able to find it anyplace yet. HSN is having a craft day Nov 5 and might have it then. Just take your time, and check out all the you tube videos on card making. Lots of excellent crafters who also give reviews on crafting tools will give you some insight as to how to get going. Enjoy crafting !
Oh goodness! That is ALOT of die cut stuff there! I don't think I've even heard of most of them. LOL I have heard of the Cuttlebug. I actually have a Cricut and I do love using that. I very recently got a great deal on a Big Shot so now I have that in my crafting arsenal. Woot!
I've been on the gallery checking out the "Mission Organization" album and realizing how I really need to get my crafting area into shape! I don't even know where half my stuff is. Oooopsies! lol
Old 10-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

A big welcome, Alicia. You are sure to love it here. Everyone is very friendly and very helpful. Your dog, Hardy, is a cutie! I started in scrapbooking, did a lot of needlepointing, and made a card or two and was hooked. It is very addictive. Have fun!!!
2014 CAS Spring DT--- (Present)Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess
Hebrews 13:2

Brenda
Old 10-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzi View Post
A big welcome, Alicia. You are sure to love it here. Everyone is very friendly and very helpful. Your dog, Hardy, is a cutie! I started in scrapbooking, did a lot of needlepointing, and made a card or two and was hooked. It is very addictive. Have fun!!!
Thank you Benzi! I look forward to getting to know you guys on here, as well as getting inspired and learning some new techniques! And thank you for the compliment on my Hardy. I just love him so much. <3 <3
Benzi likes this post.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:28 AM   #6
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Welcome to SCS Alicia. I loved reading your introduction and I know you will find lots of inspiration here. In addition to the Tutorials shown in the toolbar at the top, you will find fantastic techniques showcased each Monday in the Try a New Technique (found on the HOME page). Your little dog and I share the same name, my maiden name was Hardy.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:05 AM   #7
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie australia View Post
Welcome to SCS Alicia. I loved reading your introduction and I know you will find lots of inspiration here. In addition to the Tutorials shown in the toolbar at the top, you will find fantastic techniques showcased each Monday in the Try a New Technique (found on the HOME page). Your little dog and I share the same name, my maiden name was Hardy.
Thank you, Susie, for the warm welcome! How cute that you and Hardy both share the same name! I have briefly checked out the Try a New Technique section, and found myself having to google a few techniques to figure out what they are! LOL Boy do I have alot to learn!
susie australia likes this post.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
Kookie Creator

Welcome! you will love it here, everyone is so kind and supportive and encouraging. So many ideas and techniques. I have learned so much here! Especially in the sketch forum and the color challenges. So many creative ladies! Enjoy! Love your pup! those ears!! adorable!

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
Proud Fan Club Member

Welcome to SCS! Strap in-we are a fun bunch and there is always action going on-challenges most days and so on.

Never hesitate to ask questions-you can do it in the gen stamping board or in tools or techniques or organization if it is in one of those areas.

Hardy is a cutie.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
Compulsive Stamper

Heart Welcome

Hardy's Mom,
It's really nice to meet you. My name is Kristal. I used to be in banking as well and decided that once I got married and had children I wanted to stay at home with them. I am an artist by nature, but focus most of my attention on making stationery for the Gospel with my Cricut.

You are welcome to check out my website.

Have Faith Stationery
Blessings,
Kristal
HFSCARDS.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy's Mom View Post
Hello stampers!
My name is Alicia and I am new here. I have always had a crafty nature and have dabbled briefly in several crafts (scrapbooking, crocheting, drawing), and am now starting on cardmaking. I love putting thought and effort into a card for a loved one and hope that they like receiving them as much as I like making them!
I have been married for 17 years, no children. We have 2 furbabies (little dogs). Ruby is a chihuahua/dachsund/rat terrier mix with the BIGGEST ears you could imagine....lol........and Hardy is a Jack Russell mix. Hardy is my pride and joy, and he is the cutie in my avatar. <3 <3
I changed careers very recently. Worked in banking my whole life and made the decision (at 40+ years old) to go to x-ray school. I graduated in December and have been working as an x-ray tech since February and I absolutely LOVE it!
Let me see, what else. Well, basically I am excited to be on here and learn new techniques and tricks so that I can improve my cardmaking. I am a people person so I am equally as excited to make some friends on here!
Thank you for taking the time to read all of this. LOL I can kinda go on for a bit. Ooooopsies!
Alicia