Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Default new stamps

Hi all and Merry Christmas! I am wondering if anyone has information about preparing new stamps to get better coverage when stamping. I want that solid coverage and most of my stanps are new so I would like to know what to do to then to get the better coverage. Also some of my stamps do not want to stay on the clear blocks very well... any advice?? Thanks
Diana Mc
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Diana and welcome from New Zealand! Generally solid clear stamps don't take dye inks as well as pigment inks, the dye inks tend to bead up, so it may be you need to stick with pigment inks if other things don't help. However some clear stamps have surface oils from the manufacturing process on them, and that needs to be removed.There are a couple if things you can do to make the stamp surface hold the ink better. One is to rub the stamps on a piece of denim, like your jeans. I have also successfully sanded my solid clear stamps gently with a sanding block actually designed for sanding sheets of shrink plastic. Try this with a less 'precious' stamp first.
Are the stamps that won't stay on the clear blocks unmounted rubber stamps or clear stamps? If clear, you can swish them in a dilute detergent solution, rinse and let air dry. That is supposed to restore their 'stickyness' although I haven't tried it. I don't know if this will work with unmounted rubber stamps
Hope this helps.
Stephanie
Old 12-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Hi Diana. Welcome to SplitCoastStampers!

You will likely get a better response to this question if you ask it on the General Stamping or Tools & Products forum.

I'm a novice with very little experience, but from what I've read:
  • Going over your acrylic stamp with a rubber eraser helps to "season" it so that it will hold ink better.
  • Gently washing your unmounted stamps in soap water will clean them and help them to stick better.
  • Stampin' Up ink doesn't work well with acrylic stamps.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you both Parkes and Melissa59 I will try both techniques and also try that forum! Have a great day!