Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
Compulsive Stamper

Arrow Moving Advice for a Scrapbooker

In a month, I will be moving from Arizona to North Carolina. Can anyone give me advice as to how to store my paper so it won't warp with the humidity? I'm so used to dry weather that I've never had any issues.

Do I need to pack it in plastic first before putting in boxes? I have about 80 to 100 lbs of paper, no joke. 8 1/2x11 and 12x12.

If there are any other guidelines for other scrapbook supplies I need to be aware of?

Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #2
Hardware Hotshot

I live in a humid area that gets quite hot in the summer and have never had warping, and have never heard anyone around here mention it as an issue. Maybe it would be if we were camping? But if your paper is going to sit in boxes in a truck for a good amount time, sure, slip it all into baggies - even big, inexpensive ziplocks that could hold a couple reams.

Someone who lives in Florida near the ocean told me she had trouble with pigment ink drying - though I think she had only tried one brand - but paper didn't come up.

I'd put any liquids in plastic bags, and put them in plastic boxes, so if there was breakage or leaking it would be limited.

And I'd put Plasti-bands or rubber bands around ink pads, and secure them so they don't end up on their sides. Some inkpads have very loose lids. IOW, fill a box with them, and put that box in a larger box.

And if I was driving, I'd keep fragile and/or loved items with me: trimmers, stamping platforms, maybe inks, small tools like scissors, some watercolors, etc.

BTW, you might get more responses if you put this in the General Stamping section, since this section is often used for people who are new and introducing themselves. : )

Last edited by bjeans; 04-28-2018 at 07:12 AM..
pepperann, Brenda71 and katzarm like this post.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you for the reply. Good idea about the inks.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:02 AM   #4
Embossing Fanatic

Catscrap216, summer in Michigan can be quite humid. I haven't had trouble with paper warping. However, because of my set up, most of my paper is stored flat. Or upright in it's wrapper, packed pretty tightly in its tub. The thing that the humidity here affects the most is how paper cuts. In mid-summer, when it's hot and humid, there are days, even with the ac on, where cutting paper neatly on a paper trimmer is nearly impossible. Best wishes for an uncomplicated move.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:40 AM   #5
Hardware Hotshot

I'd never heard that - is your AC sometimes on, sometimes off, and central AC or window units? Summer in the MD/VA/DC area is quite humid - think swamp. Paper isn't affected. But central AC is on all the time.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 AM   #6
Crimping Master

I have a summer home in upper Wisc right on the beach of Lake Michigan and it gets super humid. We don't have air on often because of the lake breezes but there are some times when the humidity is so high that the bed linens feel damp. My paper has never warped but as Kendel stated trimming the paper is next to impossible. I keep all my papers in plastic storage cases but sometimes have to wait for a less humid day to cut.

MY BLOG...Ladyslipperway.blogspot.com
Old 05-02-2018, 05:40 AM   #7
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you, Sue - makes complete sense. We have central AC on in the summer 24/7, and even if not very cold, conditioned air = dry air. While we're on a lake, it's a tiny pond compared to your "great" lakes. (In the Fall some years ago we had a vacation on Lake Superior. It was like the ocean.)
Beth
HOBBYSUE likes this post.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Thank you, Sue - makes complete sense. We have central AC on in the summer 24/7, and even if not very cold, conditioned air = dry air. While we're on a lake, it's a tiny pond compared to your "great" lakes. (In the Fall some years ago we had a vacation on Lake Superior. It was like the ocean.)
Beth

LOL Beth in my opinion water is water but sometimes I feel like its the ocean too!

MY BLOG...Ladyslipperway.blogspot.com
bjeans likes this post.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
Hardware Hotshot

Dri Eze...You can buy them at Wal-Mart, Target and sometimes the Dollar stores have them...Put one in your room with your scrapping supplies and you will not have any issues with humidity...I travel all over the US in our RV and some of my supplies have to ride in the cargo area and this is how I keep them pristine!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 05-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #10
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphorse View Post
Dri Eze...You can buy them at Wal-Mart, Target and sometimes the Dollar stores have them...Put one in your room with your scrapping supplies and you will not have any issues with humidity...I travel all over the US in our RV and some of my supplies have to ride in the cargo area and this is how I keep them pristine!
You mean the hearing aide dehumidifier? I will have to try that. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #11
Compulsive Stamper

RANT: Well, I've been here 2 months and my stuff STILL hasn't moved! OMG...word of advice to other crafters, be wary of leaving your crafting stuff behind. I have no glue, paper, scissors, NOTHING. I'm going through withdraw. I've been to LSS, M, JA, HL and it kills me seeing all the things I own but can't get my hands on. Movers said it would be another 2 weeks. Geez....Feel like a hostage negotiator who's losing. Nobody but other crafters really understand what I'm going through.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #12
Crimping Master

Omg...I too go through withdrawal Everytime I go to my summer home and not bring my craft bag. I get there and only have some of my tools. So I feel your pain.