Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #41
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nouk
This is sooooooo funny Marlene!!! To hear someone from far over the ocean talk about those typical Dutch food. You mention particularly the sweets we eat around the 5th of December, Sinterklaas (St. Nickolaus). I like boterletter, pepernoten and oliebollen too. I don't like haring that much. Well you probably also know stroopwafels then. Yummie!!!

And poffertjes? I find it quite a job to make poffertjes myself but if I am somewhere where they sell them I ALWAYS buy some! You can wake me up for that in the middle of the night

I have had more reactions on the chocolate saying and it is actually from a RUBBER STAMP (I own of course) *lol* I love chocolate but I am a little bit oversensitive for it also, so no big amounts of chocolate for me.

My throat is already much better, thank you. I am working again.

Hmmmmmm. Can't recall those foods. You'll have to refresh my memory on what they are.

One of my favorite memories when we were in Zaandtford (can't remember the correct spelling) was when we were in a cafe having a koffie and all of the sudden Sinterklass walks in with a Schwarte Pete and comes to talk to my sons. Joseph (we call him Josje!) was only 2 years old and was scared to death of the Schwarte Pete and Sinterklass was speaking to Christopher in Dutch, and poor Chris didn't understand a word. Luckily my huband's cousin Stefa was with us and she translated. Pete gave the boys HANDFULLS of pepernoten from his sack. The boys love them. Chris always wanted Potat freit (I just know that spelling is wrong!) whenever we were out shopping. He just loved the mayonaise sauce served with it. To this day, he eats his french fries with mayonaise not ketchup! He says he misses the Dutch licorice as well. My husband's Oma used to send them licorice pipes and cats!

Well all this talk about food is making me hungry!!
Old 10-03-2005, 03:07 AM   #42
Rubber Obsessor

Talking Duth lessons

Hmmmmmm. Can't recall those foods. You'll have to refresh my memory on what they are.

One of my favorite memories when we were in Zaandtford (can't remember the correct spelling)
It is probably Zandvoort
was when we were in a cafe having a koffie good spelled! and all of the sudden Sinterklass walks in with a Schwarte Pete Zwarte Piet (=Black Pete) and comes to talk to my sons. Joseph (we call him Josje! That's a Dutch name!) was only 2 years old and was scared to death Lots of Dutch kids would have been scared to death too. of the Schwarte Pete and Sinterklass was speaking to Christopher in Dutch, and poor Chris didn't understand a word. Luckily my huband's cousin Stefa was with us and she translated. Pete gave the boys HANDFULLS of pepernoten from his sack. The boys love them. Chris always wanted Potat freit (I just know that spelling is wrong!) It is patat friet. But actually this is double because patat is friet also. I don't know why they say it that way. It is just the way it is. whenever we were out shopping. He just loved the mayonaise sauce served with it. To this day, he eats his french fries with mayonaise not ketchup! Funny!!!! He says he misses the Dutch licorice as well. My husband's Oma used to send them licorice pipes and cats! ?????????????? I know about katjesdrop but the pipes I don't know.

Well all this talk about food is making me hungry!!

Stay in touch with the Dutch!

God made us with two hands so we could stamp and eat chocolate at the same time!

http://community.webshots.com/user/noukepoek
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-03-2005, 04:06 AM   #43
ink, paper, & icing crafter

Welcome to SCS, Anouk! I'm sure you already figured out that you're going to love it here!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:28 AM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

WELCOME!!