Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
Polyshrink Goddess

Maple Leaf Hello from Abbotsford BC!

Be forewarned that I'm very long winded, lol...

I'm new to the forum, although I've been lurking for awhile, just reading posts and whatnot. I had previously registered an account, but I don't think it got confirmed properly because I couldn't see any forums after I'd log in! I tried to get it fixed, sent emails a couple of times, but nothing, not even in my junk/spam folder. So I figured the easiest thing was just to start over from scratch with a different email address.

Aaaaanyhow! I'm pretty new to card making, I just started recently. I never wanted to bother in the past for a few reasons. First, I always thought I wasn't creative or artistic. I think that's childhood trauma, lol. I remember in grade school I was always the last to finish cutting out stuff or coloring stuff. As a 6 year old I didn't know I was a perfectionist, I just thought I sucked! Then in 7th grade I nearly flunked the mandatory art class. That also bruised my ego! Second reason, I've never been much of a card giver or placed importance on giving/receiving cards. You know when people receive gifts, how they politely open the card first? Not me. I always open the present first and then embarrassingly remember to open the card! And I usually don't keep them... even the handmade ones unless they are supremely spectacular. I kinda feel bad, but I'm already enough of a pack rat without saving cards too! And honestly, if I knew somebody threw out something I personally made by hand, I'd be crushed!

That being said, I remember being introduced to heat embossing back in 1992. It was like magic! I was so enthralled with it. I was in college at the time, and on my next school break I went home, 2500 miles away, and showed my mom. Somehow I hadn't caught the part about embossing powder being different from glitter... Epic fail! We finally figured it out, and the magic worked.

Fast forward to my wedding 10 years ago. It was a low budget DIY wedding, but perfectionist that I am, I handmade my invitations and not from boxes at Michaels either! My poor fiancé now husband, I dragged him to a specialty shop on Granville Island (Vancouver). It was a pretty teeny shop, although jam packed, and my 6 ft 300 pound hubby could hardly move around! After what seemed like ages to him, I bought cream-colored Medioevalis cardstock and envelopes from Cartiere Miliani Fabriano in Italy, whose history dates back to 1264. I didn't know that when I bought it. But apparently this perfectionist knows how to choose paper, lol! Who knew?! I paired this with a beautiful dark blue handmade Japanese paper with flecks of gold, which I painstakingly hand cut to simulate a deckled edge. These were our wedding colors so it was perfect. I wanted to print on a vellum overlay but my inkjet at the time couldn't handle it and I couldn't afford professional it after splurging on the paper, so a friend who worked in a printshop kindly did it for me. Our thank you cards were a simple gold embossed 'thank you' on a smaller Medioevalis cardstock.

And then I never touched another ink pad until my mom got remarried last month! My teenage fascination with heat embossing and the fond memories associated with it prompted me to incorporate this into the wedding favors she asked me to make. I ordered a tiny hand carved rubber stamp on etsy, in the shape of a heart with their initials " M+G". In the process of figuring out what I wanted to do, I discovered many new products and techniques. Once the wedding was behind me (I made the wedding cake as well, another craft I learned in college!) I decided I wanted to dabble in these new techniques.

So here I am! Are you asleep yet?! I've had to take a leave of absence from work due to health issues, but my doctor wants me to keep myself occupied, so I figured what better time to practice and learn.

My user name comes from my love of Scottish Terriers, and their quirky, stubborn but loyal and loving nature. The Scottie community calls that stubbornness 'scottitude'. Since I had to forfeit my original username but was determined to join this site, I decided to go with this. My perfectionism and tendency to dig in my hills at getting something right is well matched by my Scotties independent spirit. The breed is known as "Diehards", they don't give up!

Kim
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Kim and welcome from New Zealand! I loved your story of discovering the 'creative you' and am so pleased you didn't let your childhood experiences stop you finding your forte. Card making is super fun and you can take it in all directions. I love stamping and still find embossing as magical as when I first tried it over ten years ago. I'm sorry to hear of your health issues but I am hopeful that you find many happy hours in your creative zone.
Stephanie
Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
Insane Embellisher

Welcome Kim. You're going to learn a lot here. You'll find much inspiration and make so many friends.

Have fun here!!

Kathy

Last edited by Denverkat276; 11-10-2014 at 09:44 AM..