Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Default Dies...where do I begin?

Hi all I'm rather new here but I've been doing cards for a little while. I just bought myself a big shot and I want to get some dies. I'm on a pretty tight budget. Where do I begin?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Hardware Hotshot

Hi and welcome from New Zealand! I don't use dies myself, I have mostly stamps, but the principles for starting off is the same. Consider what shapes or images you are drawn to as they are ones you will use again and again. Consider how versatile the die might be, for example the die of one flower can be used in more ways than a die of a whole scene. Finally check youtuube videos and see how dies can be used in different ways. Simple shapes like hearts or flowers are useful for lots of different occasions so start with them. Hope this helps!
Stephanie
Daughteroflight likes this post.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

When I first started using dies in my Cuttlebug, I got the basic shapes first, and then branched out to others.

Here is a good bargain on a set of scalloped circles by Sizzix, to give you an idea. They offer other shapes as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Sizzix-Framelits-Die-Set-8PK/dp/B005EPJK66/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1453761724&sr=8-4&keywords=paper+cutting+dies
For some reason the link says, Robot Check, but it actually just goes to Amazon where I shop a lot.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 01-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkesView Post
Hi and welcome from New Zealand! I don't use dies myself, I have mostly stamps, but the principles for starting off is the same. Consider what shapes or images you are drawn to as they are ones you will use again and again. Consider how versatile the die might be, for example the die of one flower can be used in more ways than a die of a whole scene. Finally check youtuube videos and see how dies can be used in different ways. Simple shapes like hearts or flowers are useful for lots of different occasions so start with them. Hope this helps!
Stephanie
Stephanie, how do you manage to not use dies? I use some sort of basic shape die on almost every card I make. I like to stamp my images, and then frame them with different die cuts.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Stephanie, how do you manage to not use dies? I use some sort of basic shape die on almost every card I make. I like to stamp my images, and then frame them with different die cuts.
Well, I was introduced to stamps first and never really got into dies. I do admire cards with die cuts as they add extra texture and dimension but I guess the process never appealed enough!
Stephanie
buggainok likes this post.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkesView Post
Well, I was introduced to stamps first and never really got into dies. I do admire cards with die cuts as they add extra texture and dimension but I guess the process never appealed enough!
Stephanie
You are right, of course. We all find what we like to use. I hope I didn't sound judgmental - I was just surprised at what you said.

When I think about it, about time I first got into making cards was the same time that the Cuttlebug was introduced, and everyone was making cards with dies. I'm sure that influenced my cardmaking style, and I wanted to use dies, too.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
You are right, of course. We all find what we like to use. I hope I didn't sound judgmental - I was just surprised at what you said.

When I think about it, about time I first got into making cards was the same time that the Cuttlebug was introduced, and everyone was making cards with dies. I'm sure that influenced my cardmaking style, and I wanted to use dies, too.
No problem! A friend of mine has a cuttlebug so if I ever change my mind, I can use hers!
Stephanie
buggainok and kazooMI like this post.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

And to the OP, DaughterofFlight - didn't mean to hijack your post. This is what happens on the forum sometimes. We just go wandering off......

Old 01-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #9
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Hi Daughteroflight if you are on a budget I suggest you look for dies where you can use the negative as well as the actual diecut. Some of the big background dies (chicken wire, netting etc) can double up as stencils and represent good value for money. A flourish die is always handy and can dress up any card. Have fun with your BigShot.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:30 AM   #10
Glitter Guru

Hi and welcome! I didn't get my Big Shot until I had been making cards for nearly a year, so I know it can be done! But adding dies to my arsenal really brought my cards up a notch and made everything more fun!

I think you should post this in the General Stamping forum. You'll get more responses there. Building a die collection is a pretty personal thing, because it depends on what you like, but people will have lots of great suggestions for you to consider.

Also - go look at the daily uploads in the Gallery and notice what dies you like. That's a good way to start. If you see something you like and it isn't listed in the description, you can private message the carmaker and ask what die it is. People are happy to share info.

See you on the forum!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #11
Polyshrink Goddess

Huge hint if there is a Tuesday Morning store near you. Go look in their craft section. They have dies on sale at a very low price. I use dies more than my electronic cutter (Cricut). I use flourish dies the most followed by some shapes. Borders are good too.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #12
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I was just mentally groaning about some of my first die purchases ( things that were the "first" of their kind like scalloped simple shapes... I don't actually use these and I rarely like them on my own cards) so, maybe start on paper and make a list of dies you see used ( some people are good about naming their dies on their uploads in the gallery)

and think about it for a while.

for me I tend to look for dies that are see through frame style ( not solid metal) because, I like to stamp first then color then cut. I also tend to look for dies that will suit sentiment stamps I own because, I like to cut the words out and tie them on or pop them up.

So spend some time about what you want your cards to look like.

My Blog