Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #681
Die Cut Diva

Hey folks, anyone around? I don't see as many canadian stampers in the forum lately. I'm thinking of hosting a canadian based card front swap, if it looks like there are enough folks interested, let me know who's still about….
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:55 AM   #682
Embossing Fanatic

Hi, I am still here!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #683
Rubber Obsessor

I am still here, too!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #684
Die Cut Diva

Yay! I was wondering what happened to all the Canadian gals. . Hope you in toronto are doing ok with all that cold weather!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #685
Die Cut Diva

Ps what are your names? I am Kristina
Old 01-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #686
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

Quote:

Originally Posted by andersen65View Post
Hope you in toronto are doing ok with all that cold weather!
I'm not in Toronto, but close enough to tell you that we are not totally frozen (yet) Tomorrow is supposed to be -15C (-27 with windchill), but then it's supposed to get warmer - not above 0, but close to our seasonal norm - keeping my fingers crossed
Old 01-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #687
Die Cut Diva

Wow, I can't imagine! here on the west coast it is floating around 0 I think. I hope you have some fun plans for the weekend
Old 01-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #688
Die Cut Diva

Oh yes, and for those of you who haven't seen it, I've posted a Canadian based swap for card fronts. It seems a few years ago there were so many of us Canadian crafters swapping cards, materials, card kits, sending each other cards etc. and now it seems so quiet! I guess lots of folks, like me, need to take a break from the craft room from time to time as life crops up. Anyway, it would be great to find some more locals to swap stuff with, with the exchange rate the way it is and Canada Post prices, I just can't afford to do a lot of the US swaps. Hope some of you will join us:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...t-t595596.html
Old 01-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #689
Embossing Fanatic

Hi! I'm from Hamilton, Ontario where we are freezing our butts off! I'm just getting familiar with this site, so bear with me, but I'd definitely be interested in some swaps etc!
mayodino likes this post.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #690
Die Cut Diva

welcome! you are not that far from me - I'm in Niagara Falls

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethHarrimanView Post
Hi! I'm from Hamilton, Ontario where we are freezing our butts off! I'm just getting familiar with this site, so bear with me, but I'd definitely be interested in some swaps etc!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #691
Die Cut Diva

Hi Beth, Welcome! Are you new just to SCS or also to stamping/card making/scrapbooking etc??? What types of things have you been creating in your spare time?
I'm on the West Coast near Vancouver, here it's raining….
Old 01-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #692
Embossing Fanatic

Hi! I'm new to this site, but also fairly new to card making. I've dabbled on and off for years, but this year I've decided to give in and enjoy and myself. I've been making quite a few cards, gift boxes - things like that. I haven't uploaded anything yet, but I plan to in the near future.

(We're having BC weather today! Warm and wet!)

Quote:

Hi Beth, Welcome! Are you new just to SCS or also to stamping/card making/scrapbooking etc??? What types of things have you been creating in your spare time?
I'm on the West Coast near Vancouver, here it's raining….
Old 01-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #693
Glitter Queen

Hey Marg.....I just joined this site about an hour ago and Im still trying to find my way around. Ive looked at many stunning cards and was beginning to think I didnt belong here as I am an absolute beginner, and in fact have only made one card. I too also noticed that most of the members were Americans, with some awesome talent I might add, so it was nice to find a fellow Canuck. I have so much to learn and to be honest, I am really, really frightened to get started, especially after seeing some of the samples - feels a bit intimidating I guess. The really insane part of all of this is that over the past 6 months I have probably spent close to $3,000 in supplies. Speaking of supplies, after extensive research on the Internet, I find it difficult to find quality products in Canada (especially cardstock, although I have to admit I have a lot to learn about the different textures, weights, glossy and non-glossy and what type of inks to use on which type of cardstock). Anyway, I have ordered a lot of my supplies either from Amazon.ca (which is of course my first choice so I can avoid shipping fees), but the majority of my supplies come from the U.S., which means the added expense of currency, as well as shipping fees. If you have any advice with respect to buying supplies in Canada, I would really appreciate it. So, so nice to meet you Marg!
Scottitude likes this post.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #694
Embossing Fanatic

Hi! I've found that shipping rates for stores like Simon Says Stamp, Ellen Hutsen etc. aren't too bad at all. I did some price comparisons in Amazon and the actual stores, and a lot of the time Amazon had higher prices! Just my two cents.

Nice to see someone who's "Just down the road".
Old 01-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #695
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Hi! I'm new to this site, but also fairly new to card making. I've dabbled on and off for years, but this year I've decided to give in and enjoy and myself. I've been making quite a few cards, gift boxes - things like that. I haven't uploaded anything yet, but I plan to in the near future.
Hi Beth,
I've noticed you haven't uploaded any cards to your gallery. Did you know there is a gallery you can show off your cards on? It would be lovely to see pics of your cards. If you aren't sure how to upload them, let us know.
You mentioned making gift boxes, were these for xmas gifts? I like to make gifts sets with boxes for hostess gifts when going to someones house for dinner and for birthdays etc. Which type of boxes do you like making?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #696
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8ideasView Post
Hey Marg.....I just joined this site about an hour ago and Im still trying to find my way around. Ive looked at many stunning cards and was beginning to think I didnt belong here as I am an absolute beginner, and in fact have only made one card.
Hi gr8ideas! WELCOME both to SCS and to card making! What is your name? Whereabouts in Canada do you live?
I know it can be hard to decide how to get started, have you noticed at the top of the screen, there are menu options for HOME, GALLERY, FORUM, TUTORIALS etc. When I was getting started, and what I still sometimes do, is I go to the Tutorials and look through for one I have the right supplies for, and do it. I tried to do all of them from A-Z my first couple of years. That was fun, and got me going.
Also, if you look under gallery, you can find other cards people have made, and you can get ideas from there.
We'd love to see your first card that you've made if you'd like to upload it to the gallery, too!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #697
Embossing Fanatic

It's report card time, so my free time is being sapped up and dominated by those. Soon though!

Quote:

Hi Beth,
I've noticed you haven't uploaded any cards to your gallery. Did you know there is a gallery you can show off your cards on? It would be lovely to see pics of your cards. If you aren't sure how to upload them, let us know.
You mentioned making gift boxes, were these for xmas gifts? I like to make gifts sets with boxes for hostess gifts when going to someones house for dinner and for birthdays etc. Which type of boxes do you like making?
Old 01-21-2015, 04:36 AM   #698
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up Newbie from Canada!

I am Canadian -- Sounds like a commercial

Toronto, Canada

Would love to meet up with people close by!!!!
Old 01-21-2015, 04:47 AM   #699
Die Cut Diva

welcome from Niagara Falls any good craft stores left in Toronto?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillzbratView Post
I am Canadian -- Sounds like a commercial

Toronto, Canada

Would love to meet up with people close by!!!!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #700
Cardstock Collector

The only store that I SHOULD have shares in - Is Michaels! Expensive stuff! I also order online at Amazon. Lovin' my crafting but my pocketbook says otherwise.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:48 AM   #701
Die Cut Diva

good thing I'm close to the border - I shop in Hobby Lobby and Joanns much more than in Michaels
Old 01-21-2015, 06:45 AM   #702
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi, I'm in BC! I'm relatively new on SCS. I'd love to do Canadian swaps.

My favorite stamps so far are The Cat's Pajamas and in my opinion the shipping rates are phenomenal. I've ordered twice now. Alma, the owner, is super nice, she ships quick and doesn't overcharge. She also runs amazing sales. Boxing week her whole store was 40% off, and SCS members got an additional 10% off that. They have a forum here and do challenges every two weeks (TCP Tuesdays), and you're not required to use TCP product. I'm not affiliated in any way, just a real big fan.

Also, Joanna Sheen in the UK does free worldwide shipping when you purchase £9 or more, which is just under $20. It takes a bit longer obviously, but that's a given and I think we're already used to that anyhow! I've ordered from there twice as well.

I'd love to hear where you all shop, both locally and online, and yes I agree it's hard to find quality product at a decent price. My town doesn't even have a local shop, I have to go to one of the neighboring towns unless I settle for Michaels' overpriced poor selection... in which case it's 5 minutes away.

Edit: I will sign up for the swap as soon as my join request is approved by the moderators, as I'm a first-time swapper.

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop

Last edited by Scottitude; 01-21-2015 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Added info
Old 01-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #703
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottitudeView Post
Hi, I'm in BC! I'm relatively new on SCS. I'd love to do Canadian swaps.

Also, Joanna Sheen in the UK does free worldwide shipping when you purchase £9 or more, which is just under $20. It takes a bit longer obviously, but that's a given and I think we're already used to that anyhow! I've ordered from there twice as well.

I'd love to hear where you all shop, both locally and online, and yes I agree it's hard to find quality product at a decent price. My town doesn't even have a local shop, I have to go to one of the neighboring towns unless I settle for Michaels' overpriced poor selection... in which case it's 5 minutes away.
Kristina (andersen65) is doing a canadian swap - check it out.

I like Joanna Sheen as well, got some great deals for House Mouse and Gruffies stamps - btw. I went to check and they have some Gruffies stamps on sale for 1.99GBP
I have soooo many stamps and papers that I try not to buy more - I usually buy online (ebay, Joann) and have it shipped to the states (to save shipping and cross border hassle).
I'm also a Stampin Up demo - so I also have a ton of stuff from Stampin Up.
And I also like digital images (Aurora Wings, Ching-Chou Kuik - I buy these in their Etsy stores)
..so these are the places where all my crafty money goes now just need more time to craft
Old 01-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #704
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by alicazView Post
Kristina (andersen65) is doing a canadian swap - check it out.
Thanks for the mention, Alica! yes, I've got a swap going and we definitely would like a couple more players! Here's the link: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...s-t595596.html
Old 01-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #705
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Hi, I'm in BC! …...
I'd love to hear where you all shop, both locally and online, and yes I agree it's hard to find quality product at a decent price. My town doesn't even have a local shop, I have to go to one of the neighboring towns unless I settle for Michaels' overpriced poor
Kim, it's nice to see someone local! I'm just in Maple Ridge. There's a good craft store in Pitt Meadows on Old Dewdney that has great prices and a nice eclectic selection, it's called Be Creative. Another one that may be closer for you, and has ok prices is Country Lane, on 176th in Cloverdale.
I do a lot of my shopping at those two places, or Simon Says online, except for card stock, I get all my coloured card stock from SU, and for white I either use the GinaK luxury card stock, or else I use Neenah Solar White which my SIL picks up for me in the US.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:39 AM   #706
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Kim, it's nice to see someone local! I'm just in Maple Ridge. There's a good craft store in Pitt Meadows on Old Dewdney that has great prices and a nice eclectic selection, it's called Be Creative. Another one that may be closer for you, and has ok prices is Country Lane, on 176th in Cloverdale.
I do a lot of my shopping at those two places, or Simon Says online, except for card stock, I get all my coloured card stock from SU, and for white I either use the GinaK luxury card stock, or else I use Neenah Solar White which my SIL picks up for me in the US.
Thanks Kristina! I've been wanting to go to Be Creative, since they're the Sookwang tape people lol. I figure why not buy it right at the source, right? I usually go to Cherry Lane in Mission, they're good folks. I've been to Classic on Alexander, in Chilliwack. They're a pretty big store but they close at 5 pm everyday so I don't get out there often. I've also been to Precious Memories on 64th in Langley several times, but funnily never to Clipper Street which is just a block over.

I'll have to check out Country Lane next time I'm in Cloverdale. There's a little store at the corner of 160 and 96 in Surrey, Scrapbook City maybe? I can't remember the name, but it doesn't look very big. One of these days I'll stop in, because they've been there for many years now and that's gotta mean something!

Where does your SIL get her Neenah Solar White in the US? I don't go to Bellingham much anymore, but considering how much the price of gas has dropped, I might start going more often again. I'm 5 minutes from the Sumas border, so I have a lot of stuff sent there. I used to get it sent to Ship Happens, but I send to Pic It Up now, they're Canadian. I think all the places there charge $3 now. So that's how I decide if I'll ship to Canada or the US, if the shipping cost difference is less than about $5 I just have it sent directly to me.

Question for you Kristina, do you ever attend any local events? I've never even been to so much as a crop. The closest I've ever done was a make and take at Cherry Lane. Is there anything around here that is really worth going to? I somehow can't bring myself to paying $25-30 for a class that I can probably figure out on YouTube or on here, lol.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #707
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Question for you Kristina, do you ever attend any local events? I've never even been to so much as a crop. The closest I've ever done was a make and take at Cherry Lane. Is there anything around here that is really worth going to? I somehow can't bring myself to paying $25-30 for a class that I can probably figure out on YouTube or on here, lol.
Hey Kim,
I have in the past attending Stamping Up parties/classes where the demo has shown us how and walked us through making cards. This is a great way to learn new techniques and meet other crafters in your neighbourhood. I also attended the Copic certification class which helped my colouring a lot. At my local craft store, Be Creative, Haroldine has been kind enough to show me how to use new products if I haven't used them before, and some techniques, she is very helpful. But most of the time, I use the tutorials here on SCS and on youtube.

What about everyone else? Do you attend classes or do anything like that?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #708
Die Cut Diva

I signed up for online coloring classes at Kit & Clowder - they have different ones, I'm taking one about coloring animals - just started - there are hours of videos and lot of practice sheets as well
Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #709
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by alicazView Post
I signed up for online coloring classes at Kit & Clowder - they have different ones, I'm taking one about coloring animals - just started - there are hours of videos and lot of practice sheets as well
Are they good?, have you learned anything new/useful?
Old 01-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #710
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Are they good?, have you learned anything new/useful?
yes, I like it - they are not cheap, but there is a LOT of material in there - she covers all the animals from fish, through cats and bears, birds to unicorns...
take a look at http://kitandclowder.ning.com/project
There is also a light theory class included
I just went through one or 2 classes and got brave enough to color a deer It's going to be on my blog tomorrow
Old 01-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #711
Die Cut Diva

Those classes are definitely on my wish list now! Now I want to do the animals class too….
Old 01-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #712
Embossing Fanatic

Hey Canadians! Every year we spend a weekend in Niagara Falls (Canada with about 20 other couples). Since we'll be so close to the border, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good stores I should check out for supplies.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #713
Die Cut Diva

no craft stores left on the Canadian side (other than Michaels), but if you are going to the other side check out Hobby Lobby on Military Road.. There is also Joann's half mile from Hobby Lobby, but they don't have too good scrapbooking section in NF. If you feel like driving a bit, I heard the one in AMherst, NY is much better.

Quote:

Hey Canadians! Every year we spend a weekend in Niagara Falls (Canada with about 20 other couples). Since we'll be so close to the border, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good stores I should check out for supplies.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #714
Glitter Queen

Hey girls....sorry it took so long to get back to all of you. I've been cleaning out a room in my home so that I can have my own craft room. Next step is painting and then installing some shelves, and moving all of my supplies from the dining room. I live with chronic pain so it is a very slow process getting things done but I am stubborn and I eventually see the end result. Kristina, I live in London Ontario and my name is Nancy. Forgive me but I am still learning how to get around on SCS so it will take some time. I just have to tell you that when I saw your pic, you look exactly like a lovely girl I know and believe it or not, her name is "Christina".....to funny. I won't be able to work on any cards until my craft room is all set up (which I can't wait) but I just wanted to drop a line in to all you lovely gals. Hey Beth....you are pretty close to me! Good to know. I'll get back to all of you soon.....I promise. Keep posting....Cheers!
joroxdesigns likes this post.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #715
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8ideasView Post
…..I've been cleaning out a room in my home so that I can have my own craft room. Next step is painting and then installing some shelves, and moving all of my supplies from the dining room…... Nancy.
Hey Nancy, congrats on getting your craft room set up Good luck with the painting and shelving etc!
Kristina
Old 02-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #716
Glitter Queen

I'm here as well though I have to admit, I'm not here as often as Pinterest. I belong to a Canadian Stamping Yahoo group - would you be interested?
Old 02-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #717
Glitter Queen

Have you seen Local King Stamps? They're from BC. I've got many of their stamps & matching dies. Check them out online or at your favourite stamping convention.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #718
Mad Swapper

Me too! from Hamilton, ON that is.
Diana
Old 02-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #719
Die Cut Diva

Hi ladies! Welcome, will check out your blogs
Old 02-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #720
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by crdzrfunView Post
Have you seen Local King Stamps? They're from BC. I've got many of their stamps & matching dies. Check them out online or at your favourite stamping convention.
Ohhhhh, they have a stamping cruise to Alaska in August. Wouldn't that be nice!