Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old member....new member, mojo help

Hello everyone. I have not been on here for so long I cannot remember.

BUT........

I have just ordered myself some promarkers and I am trying to get back into my cardmaking etc.
I so need help from you lot with my mojo and promarkers though.

I struggle with working out light source when colouring an image so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to become a fully active member once again, and will start with the sketch challenges to try and get myself kick started.

Merry Christmas to you all

Shell x
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sometimes an image will indicate where the light source is but when it doesn't you need to choose where the light/highlights will be. Coloring the image with consistently keeping in mind where your light source is should be the ticket to that dilemna.

As far as your mojo needing a boost, just remember that crafting isn't a matter of life and death, and in that there are no "wrong" answers. I think that a person can get too concerned with producing something that is "perfect" that they lose their joy for creating anything. It can be a challenge to silence your inner critic, sure, but you can also tell it to be quiet and stay quiet so you can keep doing the things you love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

I am useless with light source. I tend to start on the face and end up darker on the outline and coming in to the centre of face being lighter but I dont seem to follow on with that when going to colour hands, boots etc. It all goes to pot lol
I may start with the challenges in January. Looking forward to getting crafty again. Just wish I knew where I had put all my stuff >.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Shell and welcome from New Zealand. Don't worry too much about where the light source is for teh small images we use on cards. To shade darker around the edge of the image and ligher in the center, as you are doing for faces, is perfectly acceptable. With smaller parts of the image like hands or boots, I wouldn't worry about the light source at all. Just colour them uniformly with one shade. Too much shading detail is just confusing on a small image anyway.
With your promarkers, I would suggest that you initally just play with them. See how they behave on different paper types and surfaces, play with shading or blending, stamp several practice images and use the markers to see how they go without worrying about producing anything. Have fun with the process rather than think you have to end up with a 'product'.
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Shell,

Jak is a TV Gal over there by you and a WHIZ with her markers, she has LOADS of tutorials and is SO sweet... here is her link to her blog!!!!!

Jak Heath Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

I know you have ProMarkers (so do I-ProMarker & FlexMarkers)... I bought the Copic Markers Shadow & Shading book, and it helped me. It really covers lighting for beginners. I also have the Copic Books -Coloring Guide Level 3: for coloring People, and the Copic Coloring Guide Level 2: Nature-the simple concepts that really helped me and can be used with your ProMarkers.

Amazon has them and you can see excerpts on them to see if it might interest you.

Here is a short video on light source
Shading and Light Source Tutorial - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

ooo thank you, will look for those
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by UK_cardmakerView Post
Hello everyone. I have not been on here for so long I cannot remember.

BUT........

I have just ordered myself some promarkers and I am trying to get back into my cardmaking etc.
I so need help from you lot with my mojo and promarkers though.

I struggle with working out light source when colouring an image so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to become a fully active member once again, and will start with the sketch challenges to try and get myself kick started.

Merry Christmas to you all

Shell x
I bought some promarkers last year at Scrapfest (Kitchen ON) but was really disappointed with them. I have been using Copic markers for about 6 months, and am totally in love with the. Not sure where you are, but Currys art supplies sells the Ciao ones, a bit smaller than the sketch and not all the colors but they are a lot cheaper and they do deliver. Good luck. When you mean light source you mean like a lamp? I use Ott lamps, actually two of them, a stand one and a small one right on my table. It is an excellent light source. Good luck. Lauren, Tottenham, ON
Reply With Quote Likes