Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of becoming a demonstrator...

and have a few questions.

Is there a fee to have your own SU website for customers to shop?

How did you find most of your customers?

Where do you get ideas for products?

If you make product videos, do you need to use all SU products? ie I already own some non-SU tools such as a paper trimmer, bone folder, etc. Can I still use them when creating my SU projects?

And does SU give you a grace period if you don't make your first quarterly minimum?

Thank you for any help you can give!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Hi and welcome from New Zealand! I'm afraid I can't answer your questions but I am sure someone else will be along soon who can help.
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShelleyinGAView Post
and have a few questions.

Is there a fee to have your own SU website for customers to shop?
First two months are free, then it's $13 per month thereafter

Quote:

a few were personal referrals from friends but most have come from my demo website.

Quote:

Not sure what you're asking here. Ideas for things to demo? Right here, in the gallery.

Quote:

If you make product videos, do you need to use all SU products? ie I already own some non-SU tools such as a paper trimmer, bone folder, etc. Can I still use them when creating my SU projects?
I would say if you show it and it has a logo on it, you should use SU. If you can't sell it, why would you want to highlight it and give a potential customer the idea to go to M's?

Quote:

And does SU give you a grace period if you don't make your first quarterly minimum?
You have until the end of the quarter following the quarter in which you sign up. So if you sign up today, you have until October 1st to sell (or buy) that $300 before you go into pending.

Pm with questions. It wasn't that long ago I was standing where you are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 03:20 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

First of all, let me say good for you for thinking of how you could make this work for you as a business. I had a billion questions when I first started out and it's been almost 11 years for me now.

Linda's got you covered on your first question about the cost of your demo website.

As for your other questions...

Unlike Linda, I initially found most of my customers in my circle of friends, family and co-workers. Over time, those will drop off and you will need to find other sources. Friends of friends (referrals), offering classes in new locations and coming up with new class ideas, have been the key to me being able to continue. I have had some referrals through my DBWS but I could probably count those on no more than my fingers and toes.

I'm thinking here that you mean projects because you'll certainly have plenty of ideas for products in the annual, holiday and occasions catalogs plus occasional online only offerings.

The SCS gallery is a fabulous resource (including ideas for techniques, etc.) and today there is Pinterest, Facebook, Google Image, so many talented bloggers and Stampin' Connection (SU!'s private website for its demos). I don't think you'll lack for ideas.

There is an SCS forum specifically for demos where you can find loads of help and support. It's been a godsend to me even though I have a complete upline group up to my 5th level and a great, talented downline group that I can tap when needed.

I am not a blogger and do not make videos but I do try hard to use SU! only products when I can. Why? Well, you are not going to sell a paper trimmer or bone folder or ink pad or anything else if you don't use them yourself. There isn't a prohibition* against using them in a video; but like Linda said, you don't want to send your customers shopping elsewhere. It will happen in any event but no need to "encourage" it.

*Stampin' Up! said at one time simply NOT TO LINK to other products.

I will tell you that when I first started out, I used lots of what I already owned and only gradually transitioned to SU! versions. As you might guess, my early customers (many close friends) mostly own non-SU! items; however, my current group mostly owns the SU! versions. In many cases, the products offered by SU! are different in some ways from open market items (besides the logo) but in some cases they are virtually the same. Not everyone has easy access to "local" shopping.

Again, Linda's got you covered on this one but there is also a month's grace period at the end of each quarter. Quarters are the same as calendar quarters.

If you have other questions, do ask. I'm sure others will chime in to help you out. In fact, I'm going to send this link to my friend Sue who just signed up and to another friend who's thinking about it because I think there's some good info to be had here.

Good luck with your decision.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Thank you all so much for answering my many questions. I am so excited about this possible venture.

Last edited by ShelleyinGA; 06-06-2015 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Oh and once I purchase my starter kit, do I need to wait until I receive it before I can place my first order? (ie is there a code in the start up kit to allow me to get my 20-30% off? (Can you tell I'm just a tad excited about getting some SU goodies? lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2015, 02:05 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

No need to wait for your starter kit. You'll get an email with your demo ID and be able to order immediately if that's what you want to do. Just keep track of what you've ordered so you don't get duplicates. That happens to so many of us. LOL

Your first order of $150 or more will get you 30% off. If you want to wait but still order a few things (

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Thank you! Yes, I do have a demo if I decide to do this. I just feel bad to ask too many questions (since I'm such a newbie with this kind of thing). She has been wonderful though.

I'm so glad that I can order right away. I don't have any events lined up but am anxious to build my own inventory. I will definitely take your advice and keep track of what I buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 04:25 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

ShellyinGA, I have been a "discount" demo since 1999 (only a few customers) and love Stampin' Up!

The quality is unbeatable and I decided long ago that I would rather spend $25.00 a week budget on crafting supplies than eating out (and that is now more than $25.00) :-)

Always feel free to ask any questions here- everyone is so helpful :-)

Hugs and have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Shelley! I am new to SU (just got my demo kit last week and placed my first order this morning to get my 30% discount). I have a lot of non-SU items and plan on using them up while I make items to sell at craft shows this fall. I've done shows for years but last year was the first fall when I did some paper crafting goodies...and they all sold great! That is why I'm switching to paper goods for this fall.

It's all overwhelming and I didn't want to go too crazy with my first order because I am going to be a "hobbyist" for now. I know that I will be laid off in about 2 years from the university where I work so this is my practice time and I will gradually move to being a demo. But I have so much non-SU stuff that I need to use it up (hence, hobbyist first).

I get a lot of ideas for items to sell on StampinUp Pinterest board, other Pinterest boards, FB groups, Instagram, etc. I'm selling mainly gift card holders, candy boxes, individual cards, packs of holiday cards/thank you cards, and holiday gift tags. Most of the items I bought today (my first order) was tools, scoring board/cutting board, french fry box die, adhesives, etc.

So excited to be with SU and the timing is perfect for me to learn now and be a "pro" when I'm ready to be self-employed when D-day comes!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 05:27 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Thanks so much, everyone! I've really enjoyed reading all your responses and your advice. I appreciate it so much!

Well, I took the plunge and I'm now officially a SU demonstrator! Yay!! I have two orders coming this week (one is my starter kit and the other is my first order). I wanted to place my first order while I could still get the 30% off discount.

I'm really excited! I've been doing some research on different workshops and clubs to offer. I really want to offer things my potential customers will love.

Some of the stamps I ordered only came in photopolymer. So, I hope those stamp great too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

my best tip- hold your errand (s) during the 1st month of each quarter.this gives you more time (remaining mos) to meet your minimums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
my best tip- hold your errand (s) during the 1st month of each quarter.this gives you more time (remaining mos) to meet your minimums.
Gayla, Brand new Newbie here!
May I ask what "hold your errand(s) means?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

sorry-events
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2015, 02:16 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShelleyinGAView Post
Thanks so much, everyone! I've really enjoyed reading all your responses and your advice. I appreciate it so much!

Well, I took the plunge and I'm now officially a SU demonstrator! Yay!!
Some of the stamps I ordered only came in photopolymer. So, I hope those stamp great too.
Welcome to Stampin' Up!! The photopolymer are wonderful- sometimes you need to "condition" with an pencil eraser (just as you would with rubber) and some people have better success stamping onto the paper piercing mat for a "cushion" with the pp stamps :-)

Now that you are a demonstrator, don't forget to sign up for the demo only forum here at Splitcoaststampers (see the side bar to the left "Around the Site" and Join A Group)...we have a large # of demos that are willing to answer your questions and most of the time we hang out on the Demo Forum side of Splitcoaststampers (SCS) :-)

Have fun with your new business venture- congratulations!!
Reply With Quote Likes