Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Start Here! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/start-here-22/)
-   -   How do you clean SU! classic black ink off an oak table???? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/start-here-22/how-do-you-clean-su-classic-black-ink-off-oak-table-15366/)

Debbie Toledo 11-05-2004 11:21 AM

How do you clean SU! classic black ink off an oak table????

Help! A customer dropped her basic black ink pad on her oak dining room table. Any ideas on how to get the black off without removing the finish on her table?

stampingdenise 11-05-2004 11:29 AM

I used rubbing alcohol on my table. It got the black ink off, but it also took off the finish. :( I imagine nail polish remover would be even worse.

My table isn't oak, though, and it's not varnished or coated in any way. It's just a wood veneer that hasn't held up anyway, so no big loss on my part.

Whatever she decides to use, she should test it in an inconspicuous area first.

mamacows 11-05-2004 11:31 AM

what about trying the mr. clean magic eraser????

CherylP29 11-05-2004 11:33 AM

I have an oak table and I don't know how many times my young kids have written on it with a sharpie or pen. When it happens I pull out the soft scrub and clean it. It doesn't ruin the finish and it always comes right out. It was a hint from the Queen of Clean. Great tip. I don't know if it will work with the black ink pad, but it is worth a try. Good Luck!

Cheryl

tanya 11-05-2004 11:36 AM

I have not had to do this on my table yet but my son colored through a piece of paper with black sharpie onto my counter. I also get su in on my counter often. I spray it with 409 and let it sit about a minute. You will see the color lift up and spread out into the liquid. I wipe that up right away and do it again. To this day it has worked like a charm. I have used 409 to ceal my oak table and it hasn't hurt it so far. I clean w/ the 409 and bing back the shen w/ that orange oil cleaner stuff. Good Luck!

tanya 11-05-2004 11:36 AM

I have not had to do this on my table yet but my son colored through a piece of paper with black sharpie onto my counter. I also get su in on my counter often. I spray it with 409 and let it sit about a minute. You will see the color lift up and spread out into the liquid. I wipe that up right away and do it again. To this day it has worked like a charm. I have used 409 to ceal my oak table and it hasn't hurt it so far. I clean w/ the 409 and bing back the shen w/ that orange oil cleaner stuff. Good Luck!

AngelaZ 11-05-2004 11:39 AM

Fantastic

I had a customer who leaned across a black pad with her elbow and fore arm and then leaned on my light oak table. I sprayed Fantastic on it, scrubbed it, then sprayed again and let it sit. Then everytime that I walked by for the next 3 days, I did the same thing; spray, scrub, spray again and leave it. You would never even know it was there. Even that customer, who examined it very carefully the next time she was over (she felt so bad!), couldn't find the exact spot. Have her try it in a safe spot, though, first, just in case! Hope this helps! Angela

gamblemom 11-05-2004 11:43 AM

I have also used 409 to get ink off my table. It does take a bit of soaking and scrubbing, but it works.

bacline2 11-05-2004 11:49 AM

Removing SU classic black ink

What I have found to work well and be safe (although I have NOT tried it on an oak table) in removing inks that stain is Expo Whiteboard cleaner. I use this on my stained stamps, hands, counter tops, everywhere and haven't had any problems, so far!

do-it-4life 11-05-2004 12:16 PM

I would try Mr. Clean Eraser. That thing takes off everything :D

Debbie Toledo 11-05-2004 12:46 PM

You are incredible! Thank you for your speedy advice! She very carefully used soft scrub to get the black ink off her table and is thrilled with the results.

Demonstrator Support wouldn't suggest anything to remove the ink. I do understand their not wanting to suggest something that might make a bigger mess. But I hung up very frustrated! Then I thought of SCS.

Having never posted here I didn't know how long it would take for my post to show up. I wasn't even sure if I had posted correctly...And within minutes I had lots of suggestions. And luckily she had the soft scrub at home.

So thank you all for your great advice and to this wonderful community for being here!!

arcopes 11-05-2004 12:50 PM

I did the same thing on the oak coffee table my DH made for our family room. I felt like a total dolt, but I got it off with Soft Scrub. Didn't hurt the table at all!

StampinLeslie 11-05-2004 01:23 PM

I have used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on my maple wood table -- it gets out the ink but also dulls the finish . . . so you need to decide which you want to live with -- the stain or the dulled finish. I went with the dulled finish! I'm not sure I'd do it again, though. I'l try the ideas mentioned in this post next time.

parisotremba 11-05-2004 01:37 PM

If you have the STAMPIN' SPRAY go over to her house right now and spray it on her table. I SWEAR by this stuff! It is a miracle worker!!!
I would assume it works on tables too!!!

Keep us posted!

Kar 11-10-2004 01:58 AM

I don't know what I have used but something took off the black "rose" someone stamped on my oak table once. After I got my magic clean eraser I went to try to get it off and it was gone. We are going to refinish our table next year when we move to our new house so wasn't to pressing for me right now. Just the thought of someone stamping on my table made me ill at first, our table would now cost us over $2,000 to replace being solid oak,, 6 chairs, and 4 leave extensions for it.

row4d 11-10-2004 03:39 AM

Glad your customer got the ink off of her table, Debbie -- now I'll bet she lays down old newspapers whenever she goes to stamp there! :wink:

Shari9697 11-10-2004 03:59 AM

I use a thick paste of baking soda and water. I plop it on the spot and buff in a circular motion. It works every time!!!!

Anonymous 11-21-2004 08:39 PM

Ink on table

I just had to add that the Magic Eraser is awesome. Had a workshop the other day and a guest's child dropped the black ink on the table. We tried everyday utnil that child's mom suggested Magic Eraser. It worked! :D

Anonymous 12-03-2004 02:01 PM

Ink on Tables

I am new here, and vairly new to the "stamping thing" (as my husband would call it) I am using an antique table, and before I stamp, I place a large peice of clear plastic over the top, so I don't ruin the table (I got it at hobby lobby in the fabric section, it's sold by the foot from a 4 or 5 foot wide roll), just an idea for those of you that maybe demonstrators or host regulaar parties, to add to your kits, then you won't have to worry about the finishes.

Katie
In WI

KTDID72 12-03-2004 05:55 PM

I have purchased a large clear plastic sheet to go over my table top that I use for stamping, it was rather inexpensive purchased at a craft store, then I do not need to worry about things like that. My stampin up demonstrator loved the idea, she purchased on that she takes with here, then the hostess table shows through, and there is no need to worry about accidental damamge.

just a thought.

Katie

OhMyInkyFingers 12-03-2004 06:19 PM

I've done that also... purchased a large plastic sheet for stamping on other people's kitchen tables. The other thing I did... which was suggested by my insurance man, was to purchase additional insurance. If I am stamping in someone elses home, and I happen to damage anything with my black permenant ink pad, I am covered up to $5,000. I can only imagine as clutzy as I am.. dropping a black ink pad on someones white carpets... would be just my luck! Anyway, I am still VERY careful with stamping in another persons home... however, i do feel the added security of that insurance!

Yami 12-03-2004 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhMyInkyFingers
The other thing I did... which was suggested by my insurance man, was to purchase additional insurance. If I am stamping in someone elses home, and I happen to damage anything with my black permenant ink pad, I am covered up to $5,000.

I'm telling you guys--I learn something new EVERYDAY on scs--I had no idea I could buy insurance for something like that--what a great idea!!!

TFS, Jen

:D :D :D :D :D

waterwoman 12-03-2004 08:27 PM

ink on table

Did anyone try baby wipes? They get the ink off my hands and my kids! I don't think they would ruin the finish, but you might try it.