Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2004, 05:24 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Demo - Pros and Cons

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm on the fence of becoming a demo. Mostly for myself. Any pros,cons suggestions ect...? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2004, 05:42 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm in the same boat. I've read many threads discussing this subject but still can't make up my mind. My biggest fear is that as a hobby demo I will just have an excuse to spend more money. I don't have great self control when it comes to stamping.

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's life!

The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2004, 06:01 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I always enjoy reading threads like this! Here's my thought, since I'm a hobby demo~ NOT BY CHOICE`but by circumstance! LOL! And I have to admit it's VERY frustrating!

If you have $300 to spend per quarter and it's NOT an issue, then go for it! Otherwise, stay a customer.
Once you become a demo, you'll pay attention to the "posts" thoughts of other demos that are making it "work" and if you are not doing well, it "hurts".

I'm not working my business right now because of "real life", it's just been so busy for me! But, before I took my "break" I was doing one workshop per month. And it's NOT that easy to get bookings. I have a few leads and am hoping to make this work for the new year!

HTH! Good luck on whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2004, 06:05 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

I am a hobby demo and while I love being a SU demo, with all the perks, advance knowledge, and the demo community is great.....spending the minimum requirement to stay a demo quarterly is not REALLY in my best financial interest. I thought I would be able to interest a few co-workers in stamping and share my love of SU products....but I haven't been able to generate the interest I was hoping. I was hoping for $50 a month in outside sales, and figured I could do the other $50 a month myself to stay active. This hasn't happened. :( I had one workshop totaling $150 and the other workshop I did, my sales were ZERO. Everyone told me they loved the projects and had a great time...and they don't seem to mind using my stuff.....but they're just not interested in buying it. (Either that or I need to practice workshops some more! LOL).

At any rate, here's my suggestion. If there is enough stuff that you want, then become a hobby demo so you can take advantage of the benefits, and give yourself a time limit to build up a clientele. I'm giving myself 6 more months, or 1 year total. And at the end of your time limit, decide if you want to continue or not. There's no harm in trying it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2004, 06:20 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I decided in Aug to become a hobby demo. My goal is to do one show a month in addition to one at my home (which means I don't have to travel and have to worry about forgetting anything). I make it a point to bring my catalog EVERYWHERE I go, just in case. When people ask what I've been doing lately, I tell them. I have found several people interested in stamping that way. Just on Christmas eve, we spent time with my DH's family. His one cousin is big into scapping. I didn't know this, had that catty in the car. Got a $100 order from her. And when I have a class at my home, I invite EVERYONE that I know. I sometimes get a few, sometimes none, but for my one in Jan, I'll have about 5 that have already RSVPed. The holidays have been slow, but I'm hoping Jan and Feb will be better. I found having just a few "regulars" will help with sales. When I hit my $1500 I made sure I thanked my customers for the "free" stuff I earned. That way they know they helped!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2004, 06:22 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

There really isn't a distinction between a "hobby demo" and a demo, as far as SU is concerned. It seems that people refer to themselves as hobby demos when they don't have workshops or don't have many customers.

I signed up in July and LOVE IT! I had an Open House to see what would happen and several people got hooked! All of my customers are newbie stampers. One friend is absolutely totally loving it, and helping me meet my minimums for sure!! I've done two workshops at my own house (maybe I should call them "Stamp Camps") and got decent orders from them. One friend wanted me to help her design a Christmas card, one a wedding invitation for her daughter's wedding, and another friend wanted to make birth announcements. So they all ordered all the stuff from me. I was surprised because when I started stamping, a big project like that was the LAST thing I'd want to do!

Anyway, don't put limits on this thing... you just don't know where it will go. Go ahead and sign up - the benefits are awesome - getting the Mini Catalog sets early, free gifts like Sincere Salutations, and so much more. If you love stamping, you can share your enthusiasm with some friends and then it could really take off.

I don't really want a lot of outside workshops, but I think I'm going to do a couple during SAB. I'm nervous!! But this is the best time to do those workshops.

A year ago I hadn't even gone to my first Stamp Camp yet! I didn't know what Sellabration was, but then I ordered enough to get all 4 sets free! <g> That was the beginning....

Anyway, enjoy!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2004, 06:24 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I suggest finding a few people who are avid scrapbookers and/or stampers and see if they are interested in making a monthly purchase of $15. THey can take turns getting the hostess benefits. You can even meet together monthly to work on your projects. Having that monthly order going in can keep your hobby going without much hassle. When I had 5 or 6 in my club, I had no trouble getting over $150 in orders when I added in my own purchases. THis year I have 10 in my club and the monthly order has always been over $300.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2004, 06:43 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

The starter kit is such an awesome deal. You can get that, and decide later if you have enough orders to continue.

If you sign up now, all of your sales through the end of June count as your first quarter's $300.

Can't get better than that!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2004, 06:45 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I signed up in August and I've spent more money than I've sold, but I would have spent that money anyway. I've gotten several hostess benefits with the money I've spent though, so it's worth it to me. I have to be very diligent and not spend money on other products. I use mainly all stampin up stuff on everything I do, which is fine by me.

Right now, I'm happy where I'm at. I get a few orders every month from ladies I work with. One of my new year's resolutions is to put more into making this business run, so we'll see where that leads. I've already got an open house planned.

good luck with whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2004, 06:46 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default advantage to becoming a "hobby" demo....

Here's one advantage you should keep in mind when you make your decision: your supplies (including stamp sets!) are tax deductible!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2004, 06:48 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I became a demo in September and I love it! I have a stamp camp once a month in my home and it has been about $300 each month. I have 7 members now and they each buy $25. It was six and then one person decided to join...anyway, I agree with one of the other posters, if you can afford the $300 quarterly minimum on your own definitely do it. I'm sure some of your stamping friends will want to join you and order some stuff at least once in a three month time period. I have had so much fun with Stampin' Up! Since becoming a demo I have really grown in my confidence in my stamping ability. I'm still no where as good as some of the ladies on this site but I know that some day I will be! Really, you have nothing to lose! Give it a try! ~Lorie
Old 12-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I was spending so much money ~ I decided to do it just for the discount...with no intention of ever doing shows. I've only done one but we had such a good time we'll do it more often, just for the chance to get together and play!

If you spend the $$ anyhow......become a demo, get the discount...the starter kit is worth it just by itself. If you can get a club together, you're laughing!

Have fun!

QC

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2004, 11:02 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Hi and Welcome!

I've posted the same question on becoming a hobby demo. I was worried about the $300 quarterly minimum, but my friends and I get together and stamp and buy so much that I don't think it would be a problem if I sign up. Good luck with your decision!

Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2004, 03:55 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have to agree, if you are used to spending 100 dollars a month, sign up! If you don't usually spend that much, see if you have some friends who you could also lend the discount to who would like to buy from you to help you meet minimums...offer them say ten percent off for the first six months...then you will have a feel for all the "paperwork" end of it and you will probably want to share your business by that point anyway! I love it and honestly, I don't do all that many workshops per quarter. Just enough to keep afloat unless I want more stamps...then I do a few extra for some money! I have not touched the family budget for stamps in over a YEAR!!!!! It is wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2004, 04:37 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

There's one thing you may not have thought of: how independent are you when it comes to stamping? Over the years, I've heard from a number of hobby demos who feel like they're out there all alone. You can get a lot of online help (from SCS and Stampin' Discuss, as well as other demo lists), but if you're used to having a demo teach you new things at workshops, you may really miss that face-to-face interaction. Some demos have regular downline meetings and/or stamping sessions, but others will pretty much drop out of your life once you're no longer a customer. Be sure to do some research before you sign up if this is going to be important to you.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2004, 04:43 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks to to everyone for your responses. They've been a great help. Considering my recent purchases over the past 6 months and the product I still want , I'm going to give it a try .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2004, 04:47 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

YAY!!! Good for you! And remember if you have questions SOMEONE on here is BOUND to know the answer! I am serious when I say, I learn something EVERY time I come here! :shock: This board is GREAT!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2004, 04:52 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

con: you will spend more money than just being a customer!!! I had planned to do this as a business but we moved right after i signed up....so i have been supporting myself and i am already planning my next quarter and what i "need" to get, LOL!!!! Having the discount makes me feel like i can afford it, but usually i can't. but i have a lot of stuff in a short amount of time......i hope to get a lot this next quarter and then perhaps let it go. i hate to, but unless my sister starts buying more i can't afford it. i suspect a lot of people do this....do it for awhile, build up supplies and then go inactive due to funds.

I do not regret signing up......if we hadn't moved i would have made a go of it. just look at your finances......you will spend more being a demo b/c you can get online anytime to order!!! and sometimes a really cool card will suck you in and you just gotta order the supplies, LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2004, 05:24 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am a hobby demo. I have really enjoyed it. I have never had difficulty making the minimums and I don't fill them all myself. I am not very aggressive when it comes to bookings. I am happy with one per month. Convention was wonderful. I met some nice people and learned alot. If you are really addicted to stamping and can afford it, go for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2004, 08:14 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I became a demo in Aug of 2003. I can afford the $300 a quarter minimums, so I am my best customer! I had a stamper's club in 2004, and I ran into 'membership' problems - it was very discouraging. I maintained the club till the end by ordering double to make up for the missing member. Other issues included late payments and members not showing up for members only classes. Very frustrating! The final straw was when my customers used my things at classes and they came back muddy (sorry that sounds selfish, but I have to take in to account that I purchased these items with my money and they are to be treated a certain way...). After realizing that I can't "share", I decided to be a committed "hobby demo". I still plan to teach classes, but participants have to bring their own supplies and stamp sets so I can at least keep them stamping by showing them what they can do with what they have. To introduce new stamp sets to them, I will demo my stamp sets and tell them what they can do to get them too (in the case of Sell-A-Bration). I think that this approach would work best for me given my past experiences.

I hope I don't offend anyone by my comments. I just have to express how stressful some of this has been and that this is the best way for me to remain a demo and maintain my sanity. Either way, sign up and become a demo and make your own judgements based on your experiences.
Reply With Quote Likes