Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 09-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
luvstochatchatCHAT

Money Saver October spending freeze or chill or mindfulness experience

I'm starting a thread for us to chat about reigning in unnecessary spending for the month of October. I'm not leading anything, this is just open discussion for encouragement, accountability and thought! No rules or requirements!

For me, I would like to be very careful for the month of October. I've been indulging a bit too much and I want to be more mindful about spending and treating myself to stuff, whether it be things or food!

Not sure what all it will entail for me, but here are a few grounding things I want to abide by for myself:

If I really need it, yes. No wants or dreamy stuff.
Two eating out treats and two coffee treats this month. I'll be miserable if I go cold turkey on this... (Pack lunches for outings and plan savory lunches that are rewarding and yet easy! Make a few treats to have in the freezer for outings when I start craving something fun and treaty!)
If I really need something for Falliday, then yes.
If I really need something for other Fall projects, then yes. (Thinking of yellow spray paint I need for Phebe's shoes for Halloween.)

And so it goes. I'll add to that as needed.

So share away, join in and let's enjoy this journey together, however you set it up to work for YOU!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 09-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

We have some spendy things over the next month.

I want to use the things in my freezer/pantry & will use the savings for other items.

Create a fall capsule wardrobe using what I already have in the closet. Need to make sure I have clothes for Prague.

Spend $10 or less for Falliday challenges.

More to come...
Unread 09-30-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperwannabe View Post

I want to use the things in my freezer/pantry & will use the savings for other items.

Create a fall capsule wardrobe using what I already have in the closet. Need to make sure I have clothes for Prague.

More to come...
I forgot you are going to Prague!

Gallery Blog

Generosity isn't really generous if it isn't sacrificial. - Shannan Martin
Unread 09-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:

More to come...
Thank you for reminding me, I wanted to work on a fall capsule wardrobe also!!
Unread 09-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaird View Post
I forgot you are going to Prague!
And 2 overnight trips to Dallas, 2 day trips to San Diego & Prague in the next 6 weeks. Plus the 2 pair of jeans that I've been waiting to fit into & planning on taking with me to Prague are too big.
wyobart likes this post.
Unread 09-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #6
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
And 2 overnight trips to Dallas, 2 day trips to San Diego & Prague in the next 6 weeks. Plus the 2 pair of jeans that I've been waiting to fit into & planning on taking with me to Prague are too big.
WORD!! Adventures await!
Unread 09-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Action step #1... Take food with us to eat after team practice & snacks so we don't have to spend $ eating out.

#2. Snacks for the plane/airport so we don't spend $ there either. Take empty water bottle to fill up once we get past security.

#3. Take box of books to Half Price books. This is my Falliday challenge $.

Last edited by Scraperwannabe; 09-30-2016 at 09:06 PM..
luvtostampstampstamp likes this post.
Unread 10-01-2016, 04:42 AM   #8
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
Action step #1... Take food with us to eat after team practice & snacks so we don't have to spend $ eating out.

#2. Snacks for the plane/airport so we don't spend $ there either. Take empty water bottle to fill up once we get past security.

#3. Take box of books to Half Price books. This is my Falliday challenge $.
Taking food/packing lunch is a main focus for me this month for sure. It takes some extra effort...one more thing to do in getting out the door with two little ones but it will be worth the savings in both money and calories!
Unread 10-01-2016, 05:29 AM   #9
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm in! I'll think about my ground rules after I wake up a little...
Unread 10-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #10
Proud Fan Club Member

For me I can't make any commitments until after Monday, October 3. Life again will be changing but my thoughts are...

DON...of the top 10 people in my life, he fills all 10 spots! I will focus on encouraging him in his wood shop. I will encourage him as he finishes the baby cradle, some wooden toys, a wooden handle for my Pampered Chef metal spatula so I can once again look like we aren't poor and anything else in which he wants to undertake!

I will be limiting SUGAR TREATS until December. I need to break this addiction again. Not saying I won't have any sugar, I know I feel better when I limit sugar.

Baking...bake for my favorite UPS man when I know he is coming. Bake if any of my children are coming to visit.

Physically, going to continue to hulahoop 5 days of the week, and begin rebuilding my walking regime.

Finances, we are still recovering from the 9 months of no income this year...so...I will continue with the mindset that there isn't anything to spend through the end of 2016. (If we ever get the back pay of 6 months I might buy myself ink pads in red and blue!)

Cardmaking...no need to make any purchases...I will need to counterfeit anything I don't have that is needed for Falliday. I restocked the cardbase of white and cream and I purchased some black...I'm good to go until the end of 2016. Using what I have isn't difficult but it isn't always fun!

Sewing...if C&K have a boy I will need to purchase some boy fabric...if the baby is a girl I'm more than good to go! (Baby due Dec. 7)

Mentally...continue to request books from the library...no purchasing any books.
Unread 10-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #11
Proud Fan Club Member

My self-talk as I walked through Michael's and JoAnn's on Tuesday!

In the metro there are 2 Michael's within the area where I would be. I decided to print 2 coupons so I could purchase the 110 pound card base of white and cream. As I stand in the aisle their colored 65 pound cardstock is on sale...

HMMM...I look...and debate...wouldn't this be nice to have the multi-pack? Yep, it would be nice...You don't need it. You could make your own from the 2 file drawers you have. Yep...okay...

I look at the rhinestones...there is a coupon for those too...HMM...I like the swirly embellishments...You don't need any. You have a drawer that has them and you haven't used any in the last 3 months. Right! Okay, I do need brown.

Too bad, they don't have any.

Go to next Michael's...look for brown rhinestones...they don't have any of what I need though they do have brown. Great job Faye...know what you need, little not chunky!

Plan to go to JoAnn's...can't find my coupons. Bummer. Was planning to buy yarn for baby afghan. Oh well.

Go to lunch with friend ($5 DQ)...she has a pile of JoAnn's and Michael's coupons. Great...

At JoAnn's I used each coupon on the yarn...4 skeins! Thanks friend. I did walk through JoAnn's stamping area and talked myself out of many things. Oh, I did return an embossing folder which I had purchased long ago but it was a duplicate. Told myself I obviously have more than enough when I no longer know what I have.

When I got home my head was spinning from seeing all the options in the different categories of cardmaking and scrapbooking! WOW...that was probably the only day I'll shop for the next 3 months...I will do my best to use what I have because I already have more than enough! (Except cardbase cardstock...that I never can have enough.)
Unread 10-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #12
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

So moving is big, uncharted territory for me. Jeff being gone will be stressful. I'm going to have to think about some guidelines so I don't stress spend or eat, but that aren't so restrictive they drive me nuts or, more likely, get tossed out the window.

Gallery Blog

Generosity isn't really generous if it isn't sacrificial. - Shannan Martin
Unread 10-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

I can't freeze spending but I will try and freeze needless splurges. And I want to get a grip on waste. I'm afraid I've wasted a lot of food with only being home 1or 2 days a week. That, too is coming to an end.

"Freely you have received; freely give" Matt 10:8
Unread 10-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

I will curtail my retail "therapy"!🙄

Unread 10-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

I hate to admit that I don't know how to post a link to this but it would be nice to post it to the October thread incase someone missed it due to the change of month.

T. Joy likes this post.
Unread 10-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #16

OK, my first mindful move for the month. I will not go to the orchard today. I don't need a caramel apple since I'm not supposed to have them anyway. And the apples I love aren't in their store yet. Instead I will plan menus for the week and maybe go to the grocery store. I need detergent for sure and sometimes they have the apple orchard apples for 1.79/3 lbs instead of the $8/5 lbs that they sell them for at the orchard.
Unread 10-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chercher View Post
I hate to admit that I don't know how to post a link to this but it would be nice to post it to the October thread incase someone missed it due to the change of month.
Done!
Unread 10-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #18

OK, let's think through October...

1. Make up daily snack bags at the beginning of the week for myself. Put in things like 1/2 an Uberbar (to see if I can tolerate it), some chocolate, a coupon for a banana with granola or rice crackers and cheese or a glass of milk or an occasional half of an apple. That way I will snack from the bag each day instead of rummaging...

2. Stamp Joy - We get gift certificates to spend at Taylored Expressions for helping. ** Make a wish list and buy from my wish list so I don't overspend. Be sure the things I am buying are things I will use over and over.

3. Your Next Stamp - I am guest designing here this month so I get a little discount. Once I see the full new release I will make my wish list and buy from my wish list. Possibly a die to top treat bags that I can use for Christmas... Treat Topper Die Set

4. Start journaling my spending. Even if I am paying family bills. Include things that I spend for Christmas or on myself that I tuck into the grocery or gas money. Write down where the money came from. Did I have it saved or did I "spend ahead"?

5. Purchase another set of sheets for our bed if there is $$ available in the commission check.

6. Follow my menu plan. Put money aside for 2 dates this month.

7. Pay back DD.

8. Set aside $$ for pop dots and adhesive (Hobby Lobby or Joanns with coupons)

That should do for starters.
Unread 10-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #19
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Joy View Post

4. Start journaling my spending. Even if I am paying family bills. Include things that I spend for Christmas or on myself that I tuck into the grocery or gas money. Write down where the money came from. Did I have it saved or did I "spend ahead"?

Being aware is very helpful for me, I might not like what I'm made aware of in situations but I do much better with knowledge I have learned!

I think if I journal (just for interesting information there is no "ing" or "ed" for journal...) I too would have a better concept of where I am financially...I'll see where I am on Tuesday next week...I already have a journal book if I wanted to use it!
T. Joy likes this post.
Unread 10-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

Rebekah - thank you for starting this thread. I need to come up with a plan or whatever one would like to call it. Like Misti, I know we have a couple of spendy things coming up this month but I think that will be it. Pretty much the rest will be in taking care of the house/re organizing it - those kinds of things.
Unread 10-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeMakesCards View Post
Being aware is very helpful for me, I might not like what I'm made aware of in situations but I do much better with knowledge I have learned!

I think if I journal (just for interesting information there is no "ing" or "ed" for journal...) I too would have a better concept of where I am financially...I'll see where I am on Tuesday next week...I already have a journal book if I wanted to use it!
OK,that IS interesting. And actually I can't even find that it is a verb - only a noun as in the book you write in. I didn't know that!!!!
Unread 10-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #22
luvstochatchatCHAT

Good to hear from you all!
Unread 10-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #23
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
OK,that IS interesting. And actually I can't even find that it is a verb - only a noun as in the book you write in. I didn't know that!!!!
I didn't know it either but when I used "ed" it showed me I spelled the word incorrectly and I couldn't get it to spell correctly so I went off in search of information!

I love to learn as I go along in life...some things I learn are very interesting and other things...well, I sometimes wish I hadn't learned it at all...
Unread 10-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

So I've had time to do a bit of reading in the thread and have come up with a few things for me.

1-I know there are going to be a couple of larger expenditures this month so knowing that information I'm not counting those

2-start a spending journal to help track how much and what we spend $ on, being more mindful of what we/I spend money on

3-work on cleaning the freezer and pantry a bit

4-make a meal menu

5-try to find new homes for some Paper Punkin' things from SU - so spend $ on postage (any takers?)

6-spend money on organizational tools, etc as needed being as frugal as possible

I'm sure there will be more but this is the start
Unread 10-02-2016, 04:19 AM   #25
Proud Fan Club Member

When I met Don he was very aware of where every penny was spent in his finances...somehow I broke him of that knowledge...sad...

He kept a list of even when he bought a candy bar, how much the bar was how much was tax!

In some ways I wish we did that still...

When I pay cash (which is for almost everything except gasoline) I toss the receipt unless it has an item on it that I may want to return. I've learned to not keep paper clutter.
Unread 10-02-2016, 06:23 AM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

4. Start journaling my spending. Even if I am paying family bills. Include things that I spend for Christmas or on myself that I tuck into the grocery or gas money. Write down where the money came from. Did I have it saved or did I "spend ahead"
This sounds like a great idea and something I can do. I have a little notebook I can keep in my purse. So I won't have to spend on that.😉

T. Joy likes this post.
Unread 10-02-2016, 06:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chercher View Post
This sounds like a great idea and something I can do. I have a little notebook I can keep in my purse. So I won't have to spend on that.😉
I started last night. Now if I can remember to do it every day this month I'll make it into a habit!!
Unread 10-03-2016, 04:37 AM   #28
Proud Fan Club Member

Walked through Michael's...looked at pads of paper that were on sale...I thought about the option of using them for making envelopes...Don said get one...I said...Don, I already have more than enough envelopes (uhm, just restocked with 1,000)...

He said, but these would be colored ones...

I said...realistically I already have more than enough paper to make decorated envelopes too!

I left the pad there and did not purchase anything other than the 2 rolls of Duck Tape that was the plan to wrap a hoolahoop we made! So...total spent $3 plus tax.

Don debated buying a large roll of Duck Tape to see if he could saw through it to the 3/4" size I wanted which would have given me more tape if it worked...if it didn't work then I would be out $2.50 plus tax AND still have to buy the other plus the gas going back into the cities...SO...I came home with 2 small rolls.
Unread 10-03-2016, 07:40 AM   #29
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

My goal for today is to make 3 Falliday samples using my stash.

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. Maya Angelou

Unread 10-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #30
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
My goal for today is to make 3 Falliday samples using my stash.
Fun!!
Unread 10-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #31
luvstochatchatCHAT

I left the house for storytime with extra water but no snacks. I thought it out and said we'd be fine, but coming out of storytime, I was STARVING! But I didn't stop anywhere. Was going to go to Walmart for a few things, but in addition to it being out of the way, I knew I would buy stuff (food!) I shouldn't. So! One small victory!!
Scraperwannabe and FayeMakesCards like this post.
Unread 10-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #32
Proud Fan Club Member

We had an appointment in the big town of Mankato that has Michael's, Hobby Lobby, 2 Quilt stores, JoAnn's, Wally, and just about any and every other store you can think of and they are all in one area...

We were in that area but did not even stop any place other than Fleet Farm...we wanted to impulse purchase a Carhartt sweatshirt for our SIL but...we didn't know his size and didn't get the response before we left SO...no impulse purchasing for us!!!!

Big victory...
Scraperwannabe likes this post.
Unread 10-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #33
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Just got Dylan & I's flight to San Diego, my return flight to OKC & his return flight all for points + the $5.40 each than is charged since 9/11. I didn't think I would be able to get all of the flights for points!!! So that's one expense that is taken care of during this focus time.

Unread 10-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #34
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm going to go back and read...I just can't do it right now and I want to make sure this is in my subscribed list!
Unread 10-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #35
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Purposeful goals for this week:

3 ideas for capsule wardrobe from my closet
Pack snacks for Fri/Sat trip
Plan meal for Sat night that will be quick to put together after we get home
Plan lunches from food in pantry/fridge
Use up box of gf pasta in pantry while Devin is gone because it will feed the 3 of us

Unread 10-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #36
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Use up box of gf pasta in pantry while Devin is gone because it will feed the 3 of us

Thanks for the memory jog...what is the brand and box of gf lasagna noodles I need to purchase while I'm in Faribault tomorrow night? I know the box is supposed to be blue but I think the box was black last time I was at Hy-Vee.
Unread 10-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #37
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeMakesCards View Post
Thanks for the memory jog...what is the brand and box of gf lasagna noodles I need to purchase while I'm in Faribault tomorrow night? I know the box is supposed to be blue but I think the box was black last time I was at Hy-Vee.
DeBoles is the brand.

Unread 10-04-2016, 05:45 AM   #38
luvstochatchatCHAT

OK! B back soon...made French toast sticks for breakfast and need to clean up!!!
Unread 10-04-2016, 06:02 AM   #39
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtostampstampstamp View Post
OK! B back soon...made French toast sticks for breakfast and need to clean up!!!

That's a lot of work...but sounds yummy...I have a bake french toast recipe that I want to make this weekend.
Unread 10-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #40

Today will be a spending day for me since I should get paid for the summer's worth of piano lessons today. From it I need to pay for my YNS order (which includes pop dots), pay DD back in part, set aside $$ for adhesive, and then see what is left and allocate it.

I've been keeping up with my spending journal and I did make out my snack list yesterday, but not until after I had consumed way too much chocolate.