Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
luvstochatchatCHAT

Default 2018 All things money, budgets and saving/spending

Welcome to the our new thread for 2018. My thread for October 2017 was super encouraging and helpful and carried us through the end of 2017 nicely. Thank you to all who participated and chimed in with their struggles, victories and help and encouragement!

I've been on a strict budget for just about a whole year now (I think DH and I started officially in February last year but I can't remember for sure...). It's been a learning process and I know it always will be. I never dreamed I could actually do it. I've not been in the red for my own personal budget for this whole time. Total miracle. I thought handing the whole budget work over to my DH was going to completely do in our marriage. But it hasn't!! Yay!

So let's walk the journey together in 2018! I'm thankful that this is not all about money for me. It's about less is more, decluttering and not taking in a ton more, and yes, also about not over spending and/or buying stuff I don't need. If it was just about money and a strict budget, it would be like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. But combining it with other life challenges makes it fun and inspiring.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
luvstochatchatCHAT

I had a victory yesterday. DH always gives us some spending money for our shopping day together as a family (yesterday). I used mine to buy a spring trench/rain coat I've been saving for. So I bought something I NEEDED instead of things I might have wanted. But I'm not feeling the want thing much b/c my closet is pared down to what I love and I don't need more at this point in the winter season. Now I can switch that little savings category from the spring coat to something else I want to save for (SU order I think)! It was 50% off at the outlet store and I need to give DH $23 more, but I had $49 saved up so far. The remaining money went to cover socks I bought that were NEEDED. Yay!

Now for January, it's #nospendJanuary for me. Unless it's on the list I have. This for personal/kids, not grocery, though for that account, I aim to be super frugal. I had been super good this last month and had some fun money for Trader Joes yesterday which was an awesome feeling! I only bought healthy things for my new year healthy eating plan.
fl_beachbum likes this post.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Proud Fan Club Member

I had a $6 victory today...went with Don to the grocery store...I saw little smokies as we walked in at the entrance (great product placement), I put 2 of them in the cart and said to Don...

We could have these at C&K's on Sunday when we go to spend time with them.

Then I quickly said...but we are going for lunch. I put them back as I said, lunch is not going to be snack foods!

Yeah me.
luvtostampstampstamp and fl_beachbum like this post.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

I have holes in a sweater & a shirt. Since I minimized my wardrobe, having 2 items out of commission really make a difference in my wardrobe. I’m going to set aside $15 to replace both items.

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. Maya Angelou

Old 12-31-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

After re-reading this article: The ten item wardrobe. – Modern Mrs. Darcy

I don’t think I NEED to replace the 2 items right away. I’m a few items over the 10 item winter wardrobe & I’ll just try using what I have for awhile & then decide.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
luvstochatchatCHAT

I've been struggling to not join the One Little Word class with Ali Edwards. I so want the inspiration, but having 45 min videos to watch doesn't work for me so I'm not going to do it. Almost did it at 2:30 am...but I resisted yet again. I'm going to come up with monthly activities to inspire myself and may even go back to a few years ago class that I took on it...I think those older classes are always available on my account.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am going to try to learn to practice the idea of "How much can I save this year?" rather than "Do I have the money for this?" Somehow I can always find the money...

One thing I am learning through my mental/emotional journey is that little victories need to be practiced over and over and over again so that they become second nature. And that temptation to forget those little victories is often very subtle. For example. Yesterday, while I was cashiering, someone returned a magnet that I really loved. I had actually bought one for my daughter for Christmas. It would only have been about $2 with my discount, and I actually have a gift card I could have used. I thought about that silly magnet ALL DAY. I pictured it on my locker door (which is where it would have gone, cuz I didn't actually need it...) and thought how cute it would be. And then I realized that it was just a temptation. A $2 temptation to throw me off track. But if I have a $2 victory it would make me stronger for the next time.... which was "Oh! Target has 90% off their Christmas stuff!". But another small victory will make me stronger for the next time. That's my goal for this year. Lots and lots of small victories until it becomes easier for me to save than to spend.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #8
luvstochatchatCHAT

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Joy View Post
I am going to try to learn to practice the idea of "How much can I save this year?" rather than "Do I have the money for this?" Somehow I can always find the money...

One thing I am learning through my mental/emotional journey is that little victories need to be practiced over and over and over again so that they become second nature. And that temptation to forget those little victories is often very subtle. For example. Yesterday, while I was cashiering, someone returned a magnet that I really loved. I had actually bought one for my daughter for Christmas. It would only have been about $2 with my discount, and I actually have a gift card I could have used. I thought about that silly magnet ALL DAY. I pictured it on my locker door (which is where it would have gone, cuz I didn't actually need it...) and thought how cute it would be. And then I realized that it was just a temptation. A $2 temptation to throw me off track. But if I have a $2 victory it would make me stronger for the next time.... which was "Oh! Target has 90% off their Christmas stuff!". But another small victory will make me stronger for the next time. That's my goal for this year. Lots and lots of small victories until it becomes easier for me to save than to spend.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! Thanks for sharing! Nailed it!
Old 01-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #9
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Today after we picked up the boys, we drove a different way home because Kevin needed to stop for work. We drove through a town & Kevin said “I remember a scrapbook store that was downtown here. Wanna see if it’s still there?” I didn’t. And then when we got to the town he needed to stop for work, he asked if he could drop me off @
Hobby Lobby. Nope. He was a little shocked. I told him I had planned purchases for my gc & if I went in & looked, I would be temped. I sat in the vehicle & Read part of my book & worked on my menu plan & grocery list. Small victories!

Old 01-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm looking forward to that article about the clothing. Thank you for sharing the link.
luvtostampstampstamp likes this post.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #11
Proud Fan Club Member

My normal January 1 for years has been spent fabric shopping...for years I did this with Diane and Delores, my 2 best sewing buddies. Heaping carts of children's fabrics.

The last 10+ years Don has taken me to where I wanted to go to shop for fabric on January 1, he would come in look at some things then wait for me in the car until I was ready to check out, he would come in, pay the bill and take me to the next place on my list.

This year I told him, I want to look on-line for thread that I need as it is no longer sold in the stores for a price I am willing to pay (yes, I am a thread snob) and I told him I need no fabric! SO...I ordered the thread I wanted on-line and I am not waiting very patiently for it to arrive, though honestly I don't "need" it all today, just 4 spools are needed, the rest are because I am getting low on the spools.

The other thing I am trying to use is refresh my memory with what I have in the paper stacks that I have. Remember...I really like paper...and paper sales at JoAnn's when it is 12 for $2...eeekkkk...I am going to try to not purchase any new paper for 6 months.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
luvstochatchatCHAT

DD1 wants to go to Galena to our favorite art/stamping store, but I've declined going b/c I know I can't window shop there... She thinks she can find a friend to go with her! Yay!
fl_beachbum and T. Joy like this post.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #13

Not to be weird, but I LOVE YOU PEOPLE!! You are so encouraging! THIS (what all of you are sharing) is where I have been for the last year and it is so, so incredibly cool to know I'm not the only one.

I did a happy-dance (in my head) because I DIDNT stop at Hobby Lobby on my way home from work yesterday. I was going to stop by and buy a Copic marker, not because I know a color I need just because "hey I can use a coupon". Realized what I was doing and just kept driving straight home. Celebrate it, right?
Old 01-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #14
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_beachbum View Post
Not to be weird, but I LOVE YOU PEOPLE!! You are so encouraging! THIS (what all of you are sharing) is where I have been for the last year and it is so, so incredibly cool to know I'm not the only one.

I did a happy-dance (in my head) because I DIDNT stop at Hobby Lobby on my way home from work yesterday. I was going to stop by and buy a Copic marker, not because I know a color I need just because "hey I can use a coupon". Realized what I was doing and just kept driving straight home. Celebrate it, right?
Absolutely celebrate!

Old 01-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #15
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Yes, celebrate...

As my husband and I are going through the Menard's ads to see what is FREE after rebate...we have accumulated rebate $$$ that we use for only purchasing free items, no tax paid when using rebate $$ so the item is really free...and we collect the items and then list them to give away on the church website or we give them as gifts.

This week is more salt & pepper shakers...he laughed when I said, yep put them on the list...I used one recently for putting "burnt" flour in as we use that for diaper rash on Baby Grand...perfect size and it was a free shaker!

We go past Menard's on our way other places so we don't make a special stop to just get the free items!
fl_beachbum and T. Joy like this post.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:12 AM   #16
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:

Yay, for sure celebrate! I used to be a bit like that...though we live about 30 min or so from any good stores. But I still had gotten so any trips to the city meant I HAD to use my coupons. Ugh! Not anymore!

And yes, it's a great group of supporters and cheerleaders here!
Old 01-04-2018, 04:57 AM   #17
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

My Year of No Shopping - The New York Times

Read this last night. Loved it.

Gallery Blog

Generosity isn't really generous if it isn't sacrificial. - Shannan Martin
Old 01-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #18
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaird View Post

That was a good read, thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #19
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Quote:

I read a similar article several years ago & we started a similar experiment. Now when I go shopping, I’m going for a specific purpose & not just to browse or window shop. I tell my boys we are going to “bag it & tag it”. We were looking for a gift a few weeks ago & we didn’t have a plan... we wondered around & the boys couldn’t believe that we were going aisle by aisle to find something. It didn’t take long before I realized it wasn’t a good plan & we left. Thought about what we wanted to give, did a bit of research & then found it.
Some areas are better than others but when I see glimpses of progress it helps me stay on the path.

Dylan is growing like crazy right now & he needed a new jacket. He found one while he was with my parents. So when we picked him up, he told me he had found one & it was on the clearance rack. He already knew what size he needed & the color he wanted. So we bought it. Then when we got home, he told me that he had put the jacket he had outgrown in the donation pile... “one in, one out!”

If only the lessons could be learned once & not have to hit the repeat button!

Old 01-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #20
Proud Fan Club Member

Needed to order some clear bins from Wally, then I thought about House Mouse stamps and started to browse...

Then I thought of this thread and got out of there before I added any to my on-line cart.

I did add bath soap as I have only 2 bars left and it is on my Costco list, figure if I don't go into Costco I will save money!
Old 01-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #21
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Today's small victory...

I took coffee from home when I went to the chiropractor rather than stopping for it afterward. Yay me!! And I am picking up some extra hours at work this week, too. Woohoo!!
Old 01-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #22

Tricia, I love your "how much can I save" mindset. I think that will help me the most right now. I would love to do a no shopping year, but that is not this year. But if I can switch to celebrating the $1 and $2 victories, while still being able to say yes to spur of the moment coffee with Jeff or to not feel bad that I spent $40 on pillows (if these are comfortable I will spend $80 more and replace the kids' pillows, too, because I am over sleeping on a brick!). Thanks for sharing! It really inspired me, even if my totals today don't seem like it, lol.

Gallery Blog

Old 01-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #23
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Paula, I know for me sometimes the smaller amount items, I don't think about... or tend to think "it's only $1"... where the bigger amount items, I think about, research, etc. So victories in the smaller amounts to me a big deals.

Just like finding my stamping style or clothing style has helped me save money, figuring out one area of our spending/saving has helped too.

fl_beachbum and mrslaird like this post.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperwannabe View Post
Paula, I know for me sometimes the smaller amount items, I don't think about... or tend to think "it's only $1"... where the bigger amount items, I think about, research, etc. So victories in the smaller amounts to me a big deals.

Just like finding my stamping style or clothing style has helped me save money, figuring out one area of our spending/saving has helped too.
Yes! Those small victories add up, especially since I hate big purchases. One thing I want to do this year is have a don't buy list. For instance, I have bought 5 or 6 rolls of recollections washi tape in the past year because they are so cute, but they don't stick and I find that super annoying. So they are dead to me. No matter how cute, no buying. Same thing with essie nail polish. The colors are beautiful, the names cheeky, it's priced right at the target luxury mark, but it hates my nails and starts chipping immediately.

Gallery Blog

Old 01-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #25

Those smaller items really do add up. I think that's one reason Dave Ramsey's envelope system works so well. You watch those dollars leaving, feel them leaving, and it really makes an impact.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #26
Proud Fan Club Member

I made a note to myself to not buy ahead on ZOTS, I've had a few packages for several years (went through a period of having Michael's coupons and my mentalness was over the edge due to life at the time and what a great bargain for ZOTS)...well, I've been using one package of ZOTS and they are dried out...I finally did get to a point on the roll where they will actually adhere but the reminder is currently fresh in my head...

Do not buy ahead ZOTS, in any size!
fl_beachbum and mrslaird like this post.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #27
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Joy View Post
Today's small victory...

I took coffee from home when I went to the chiropractor rather than stopping for it afterward. Yay me!! And I am picking up some extra hours at work this week, too. Woohoo!!

YES!! This is my most favorite no spend treat to myself...to make coffee or tea to GO! Then I know I won't be tempted!
Old 01-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #28
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
Tricia, I love your "how much can I save" mindset. I think that will help me the most right now. I would love to do a no shopping year, but that is not this year. But if I can switch to celebrating the $1 and $2 victories, while still being able to say yes to spur of the moment coffee with Jeff or to not feel bad that I spent $40 on pillows (if these are comfortable I will spend $80 more and replace the kids' pillows, too, because I am over sleeping on a brick!). Thanks for sharing! It really inspired me, even if my totals today don't seem like it, lol.
Um, I totally need pillow help. All of the sudden, I've realized my current pillow is no longer working for me. It's a memory foam one, but wow...not sure what changed but it's just not the ticket anymore and I have no clue WHAT I need now...
Old 01-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #29
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperwannabe View Post

YES! Those $1 and $2 items were what was killing me before this budget thing. Shopping at Walmart...just all the little things that add up. Crazy.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #30
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
Those smaller items really do add up. I think that's one reason Dave Ramsey's envelope system works so well. You watch those dollars leaving, feel them leaving, and it really makes an impact.
We have done the envelope system with debit cards for a year now and it's been AWESOME!
Old 01-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #31

You are so right about Walmart. I had to give up shopping there when the boys were little because I would wander into other areas. Mostly household stuff but then I would also buy more snacks… not good.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:57 AM   #32
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
You are so right about Walmart. I had to give up shopping there when the boys were little because I would wander into other areas. Mostly household stuff but then I would also buy more snacks… not good.
Ha, yes! With my combined challenges of not spending, eating healthier and decluttering, I have nothing to buy...no money to buy with and no junk to buy! They all work together for GOOD!
Old 01-05-2018, 03:59 AM   #33
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
Just saw your IG name and have followed you. I'm njoystudio!
mrslaird likes this post.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtostampstampstamp View Post
Just saw your IG name and have followed you. I'm njoystudio!
Found you and am following!
Old 01-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #35
Proud Fan Club Member

Did our Menard's rebate shop last night, walked out with a cart load of items and didn't spend a dime out of our pocket. When you use rebate money you don't pay tax on your items.

Basic household items were my part...Dawn, Puffs, Charmin, Bounty...those were all rebate because of P&G purchase...then there were the free after rebate items...kitchen utensils, S&P shakers, electronic wipes...those will be placed on the give away at church.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:55 AM   #36
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

We don’t have Menards down here.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:20 AM   #37

So we do have Menards and the guys bought stuff during the rebate period and I accidentally threw it away when it came because I didn't realize it would look like that.

Gallery Blog

Old 01-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #38
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
So we do have Menards and the guys bought stuff during the rebate period and I accidentally threw it away when it came because I didn't realize it would look like that.
That doesn't mean your money is lost...

You can go in the store (or Jeff, whose ever name is on the rebate), talk with the store supervisor or manager...it is all on the computer and will show that the rebate has not been cashed!

Ko did the same thing...

The disappointing part is it does take 6-8 weeks to get the rebate and it only takes minutes to respend it!
Old 01-05-2018, 07:14 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeMakesCards View Post
That doesn't mean your money is lost...

You can go in the store (or Jeff, whose ever name is on the rebate), talk with the store supervisor or manager...it is all on the computer and will show that the rebate has not been cashed!

Ko did the same thing...

The disappointing part is it does take 6-8 weeks to get the rebate and it only takes minutes to respend it!
Oh really? Hmm, I will tell Jeff! It was in Archer's name. I wonder if he has to have any kind of id? It was a postcard or something similar and I thought it was junk mail. It was from this summer or fall? Do you think there's still a chance?

Gallery Blog

Old 01-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #40
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Oh really? Hmm, I will tell Jeff! It was in Archer's name. I wonder if he has to have any kind of id? It was a postcard or something similar and I thought it was junk mail. It was from this summer or fall? Do you think there's still a chance?
I do think there is a chance!

School ID along with parent, that should work...

Certainly worth a try. I don't know how Don looks on-line for his rebates but he keeps really good tabs on them...it is almost like an income to him!