Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #241
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

A few random thoughts:
I am sweating every purchase, but not necessarily always making the best choices.

The stress is legit. I will be happy when I am either used to the stress or it is simply less stressful to think about all the things.

My library staff is super nice. They do charge fines and they do make you replace books at times, but they genuinely try to let you off the hook as much as possible. I love them.

My outfit (haha, it's jeans and a shirt) is all from Goodwill and I love it more for that.

I think I'm going to clean out the fridge today. It's hard to use your stuff if you can't even see it all. Plus I know my probiotics are hiding in there somewhere.

Mending things is giving me so much life. I'm not good at it yet, but getting things out of the limbo place of kept but unwearable is a great feeling.

Gallery Blog

Generosity isn't really generous if it isn't sacrificial. - Shannan Martin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #242
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaird View Post
A few random thoughts:
I am sweating every purchase, but not necessarily always making the best choices.

The stress is legit. I will be happy when I am either used to the stress or it is simply less stressful to think about all the things.

My library staff is super nice. They do charge fines and they do make you replace books at times, but they genuinely try to let you off the hook as much as possible. I love them.

My outfit (haha, it's jeans and a shirt) is all from Goodwill and I love it more for that.

I think I'm going to clean out the fridge today. It's hard to use your stuff if you can't even see it all. Plus I know my probiotics are hiding in there somewhere.

Mending things is giving me so much life. I'm not good at it yet, but getting things out of the limbo place of kept but unwearable is a great feeling.

You go girl! It took me awhile to get used to and I'm still learning for sure, but I can honestly the budget word doesn't give me chills anymore LOL! I was just thinking about that this morning. We set a budget for my plants and flowers and normally that would have done me in and made me mad. This year it was a complete relief!!

Our library does food pantry drives every so often through a year. One can = $1 in fines. I have it on my daily to do list to check in with library due dates, but sometimes I get off track and don't get to it and fall behind on a few! But then I can usually wait for the next food drive.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtostampstampstamp View Post
You go girl! It took me awhile to get used to and I'm still learning for sure, but I can honestly the budget word doesn't give me chills anymore LOL! I was just thinking about that this morning. We set a budget for my plants and flowers and normally that would have done me in and made me mad. This year it was a complete relief!!

Our library does food pantry drives every so often through a year. One can = $1 in fines. I have it on my daily to do list to check in with library due dates, but sometimes I get off track and don't get to it and fall behind on a few! But then I can usually wait for the next food drive.
Our library does that apparently, but I missed it. We are okay on fines right now, but the cover came off a book that we had. I asked about replacing it or paying a mending fee (both of which would have been reasonable and something my old library would have charged) and they said thanks, but no worries.

I don't resent not being able to spend, but I hate all the extra steps and thinking and constant (unforgiving) math. It reminds me of the first month of photography class in college (in the dark ages of film!) when we learned to shoot completely in manual. It seemed like every shot took 15 minutes trying to remember to set your focus, f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, and frame your shot will without having anything going off in the corner, and being on one of the third lines, and giving lead space if that was applicable. You missed half the shots you wanted to take. And, then, after a while it was faster and easier. But I'm not there yet, lol. Remembering what's coming up money-wise, what we have, what we need, where it's cheapest, how much did I spend, should I get this thing that's on sale, am I being a jerk at home rationing the milk, who likes this, is it healthy, oh no we ruined a $5 bottle of mayo by accidentally leaving it out overnight can I get another one, what do you mean your shoes don't fit? ETC.

Gallery Blog

fl_beachbum likes this post.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #244
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
Our library does that apparently, but I missed it. We are okay on fines right now, but the cover came off a book that we had. I asked about replacing it or paying a mending fee (both of which would have been reasonable and something my old library would have charged) and they said thanks, but no worries.

I don't resent not being able to spend, but I hate all the extra steps and thinking and constant (unforgiving) math. It reminds me of the first month of photography class in college (in the dark ages of film!) when we learned to shoot completely in manual. It seemed like every shot took 15 minutes trying to remember to set your focus, f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, and frame your shot will without having anything going off in the corner, and being on one of the third lines, and giving lead space if that was applicable. You missed half the shots you wanted to take. And, then, after a while it was faster and easier. But I'm not there yet, lol. Remembering what's coming up money-wise, what we have, what we need, where it's cheapest, how much did I spend, should I get this thing that's on sale, am I being a jerk at home rationing the milk, who likes this, is it healthy, oh no we ruined a $5 bottle of mayo by accidentally leaving it out overnight can I get another one, what do you mean your shoes don't fit? ETC.
Yup, I get all that too... I'm realizing it is a bit challenging to be frugal with kiddos...I'm always quietly upset that they waste hand soap, but then I'm glad they wash their hands so.... But they LOVE to play with water and suds!! And my homemade stuff makes lots of suds coming out of a foaming soap dispenser!!!
mrslaird likes this post.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #245
luvstochatchatCHAT

Our library does it several times a year. And that's awesome they are so forgiving. Ours is too! At least a few of our library people are fairly cool!
Old 05-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #246

Quote:
Our library does it several times a year. And that's awesome they are so forgiving. Ours is too! At least a few of our library people are fairly cool!
I think we just do it once, but there are free fine cards as part of summer reading prizes, so I expect to rack up!

Gallery Blog

Old 05-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #247
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
I think we just do it once, but there are free fine cards as part of summer reading prizes, so I expect to rack up!

Oh fun! I'm looking forward to our book bingo again, that really helped me READ last summer!
Old 05-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #248
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Remembering what's coming up money-wise, what we have, what we need, where it's cheapest, how much did I spend, should I get this thing that's on sale, am I being a jerk at home rationing the milk, who likes this, is it healthy, oh no we ruined a $5 bottle of mayo by accidentally leaving it out overnight can I get another one, what do you mean your shoes don't fit? ETC.

Paula, I get this!!! Now multiply that times every.single.decision. you make in a day. As I journey through this current season of my life I am trying hard to focus on being mindful but not obsessively overthinking things, but it is a constant struggle. Unfortunately, I sometimes feel like my thoughts are a kaleidoscope. Lots of pretty colors and patterns - but nothing really makes a recognizable picture!! Interestingly enough, though, I only feel that way at home, not at work. At work I feel more like the "old me" - confident, sure of myself, and I make decisions fairly easily. Hmmm. I'm sure there is an emotional component to that... I'll have to think about that some more.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #249
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

This may not be a surprise to anyone else, but while I was doing research for my price book, I found Amazon had the best price for the OTC stuff that we use... vs Walmart, Target, Dollar Tree & the 99 Cents Only Store... I took the cheapest price on generic brand.. no coupons or sales... Amazon was .01 a tablet vs .04 a tablet at other places!! I was a little surprised at that.

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. Maya Angelou

luvtostampstampstamp and fl_beachbum like this post.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #250

Misti, that is a surprise! I've never thought to check Amazon for things like that!

Tricia, yep! I feel you!!! Huge overthinker here! Decisions STRESS ME OUT and they are everywhere! I'm working on it, but it's hard.

Gallery Blog

T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #251
Proud Fan Club Member

Today I learned about destressing techniques...

I failed at the first breathing technique!!!!

Reading about decision making caused me to have anxiety...

Maybe I need more help than I thought I needed...I could easily crawl under a rock.
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #252
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Sorry, Faye! Maybe this should have been in the wellness thread.
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #253
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Joy View Post
Sorry, Faye! Maybe this should have been in the wellness thread.
Hey, our mental health has to do with money, budgets and saving/spending!
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #254
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperwannabe View Post
This may not be a surprise to anyone else, but while I was doing research for my price book, I found Amazon had the best price for the OTC stuff that we use... vs Walmart, Target, Dollar Tree & the 99 Cents Only Store... I took the cheapest price on generic brand.. no coupons or sales... Amazon was .01 a tablet vs .04 a tablet at other places!! I was a little surprised at that.

Wow! I've been worrying that maybe they are a bit higher....they are often for crafty things right? I do get our vitamins there on subscribe and save. Sometimes the price varies, but overall it usually is just a few cents over or under Walmart and I'd rather have the convenience of getting them online. Though now we've switched to the Olly brand so I need redo my research likely. But Walmart doesn't carry that brand, so the convenience factor over getting to Target (and spending on other things I don't need!!) will still be the win win!
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #255
luvstochatchatCHAT

Ugh, I've been a little spendy lately...Must reign myself back in. #justbeingreal
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #256

I went to Goodwill today as it was my last easy chance to go and try things on. I bought a few pairs of shorts and some lightweight capri pants, plus a bunch of tanks, and a few things for the kids. I spent a bit more than I wanted, but I think this will get me through the summer.

Jeff is at the mall looking for summer clothes as well...we'll see how that goes. (He's at a store that is going out of business, so it's all on sale, but still, we'll see.)

I have one pre-planned fun purchase to make this week. Other than that I'm trying reeeeaaaalllllyyyy hard to be good. I'm not even buying cute Mickey stuff at Target!

We have to decide about comicon. It's pricy to go here and I don't think the con itself is worth it, but the kids are really excited and love to go. That's Sunday, though, so we have to decide soon!

Gallery Blog

T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #257
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

I didn’t spend my craft money yet. I thought there might be something during Memorial Day sales, but nothing caught my fancy. I could buy a few things for the upcoming vsn, but I want to make samples using what I already have first & then see if I have more time.

I looked at my Goodwill over the weekend & didn’t find anything. I have 2 pair of shorts that are too big. As long as we are at home, I have enough... if we go on a trip & are away from laundry I need at least one more pair.

T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #258

I'm getting pretty low on Mono Multi and white cardstock. I'm not really making enough stuff to stock up before I run out unless there's a good sale, but I am watching it.

Gallery Blog

T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:05 AM   #259
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
I'm getting pretty low on Mono Multi and white cardstock. I'm not really making enough stuff to stock up before I run out unless there's a good sale, but I am watching it.

I will be needing Mono Multi too...let me know if you see a good sale.
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:06 AM   #260
luvstochatchatCHAT

I've just had a rush of "I wants" lately. Not sure where it all came from, but thankfully I'm still reading The Joy of Less LOL!!! And thankfully I haven't acted on any of the rushes...yikes!! That would be my old self in action....
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:28 AM   #261
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Quote:
I've just had a rush of "I wants" lately. Not sure where it all came from, but thankfully I'm still reading The Joy of Less LOL!!! And thankfully I haven't acted on any of the rushes...yikes!! That would be my old self in action....
Thats progress!!
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #262

We have had a lot of things break on us lately: computer, wedding ring, air conditioner are the big ones, but also little things, too. I am doing pretty well not buying fun things, but I need to better making do with just what we have. At the same time, the kids can't wear sneakers in the water and Jeff can't wear the same 3 short sleeve shirts that fit well to work every day, so there are still extra needs. (And, yes, this is the sort of stuff emergency funds are for, but we had a really big hit early in the year and that changed the whole financial course of this year.) I really need to be better with my groceries. I feel like if I could get that down a lot of extra money would appear.

Gallery Blog

T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #263
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
I will be needing Mono Multi too...let me know if you see a good sale.
Do you buy more than one at-a-time?

I find that I use coupons from JoAnn's to purchase the items that aren't on sale, they just had a 60% off coupon and a 50% off coupon so you could buy 2...

Though I know you don't have JoAnn's local (nor do I) and I was very frustrated when their on-line order didn't work during this past sale...nor did their on-line order, pick-up in the store.

With my trips to Mankato I literally drive past the parking lot of JoAnn's so I can stop for the items on my list but life will be back to normal the end of June and then no shopping easily for me.
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:11 AM   #264
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeMakesCards View Post
Do you buy more than one at-a-time?

I find that I use coupons from JoAnn's to purchase the items that aren't on sale, they just had a 60% off coupon and a 50% off coupon so you could buy 2...

Though I know you don't have JoAnn's local (nor do I) and I was very frustrated when their on-line order didn't work during this past sale...nor did their on-line order, pick-up in the store.

With my trips to Mankato I literally drive past the parking lot of JoAnn's so I can stop for the items on my list but life will be back to normal the end of June and then no shopping easily for me.

I do usually buy the liquid Mono in bulk from Scrapbookpal.com (I think!). Haven't bought any in a year or two or three now! A friend gave me about 6 of hers b/c she wasn't using it anymore! So that boosted my supply nicely.

I've been wanting some Heidi Swapp things that our stores never seem to carry, so was going to try online but now I'm reigning in that ol' spending again and hearing your online saga makes it even less appealing!
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:08 AM   #265

I buy it one bottle at a time and have a local Michael's, joann, and hobby lobby now, so if it doesnt go on sale I will use a coupon. Same for Michael's heavyweight cardstock. ATG tape is my preferred adhesive, but I have been having trouble with the rolls being wound badly, so I've been using the mono more lately. And I always use mono for fussy die cuts.
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:20 AM   #266

We are going to comicon this Sunday. It worked out so it won't be as much to get in, so we'll mostly have to watch our spending inside.

I'm sure there will be an end of school ice cream trip tomorrow.
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:31 AM   #267

I saw this quote the other day and it has been bouncing around in my head ever since.

It's never enough until we decide it's enough. Enough isn't an amount, it's a decision.

(By @thealisonshow on instagram who you should totally follow because she is fun, inspiring, and super real!)

Gallery Blog

T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #268
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
I saw this quote the other day and it has been bouncing around in my head ever since.

It's never enough until we decide it's enough. Enough isn't an amount, it's a decision.

(By @thealisonshow on instagram who you should totally follow because she is fun, inspiring, and super real!)

That quote is a lot like the one in my signature line...I can't say I've mastered being content but I can say that I am more content with what I have than I was last year...and it isn't because I've bought any exciting items either!

Does alison have a blog? I am not on instagram and have no intention of beginning!
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #269

Quote:
That quote is a lot like the one in my signature line...I can't say I've mastered being content but I can say that I am more content with what I have than I was last year...and it isn't because I've bought any exciting items either!

Does alison have a blog? I am not on instagram and have no intention of beginning!
http://thealisonshow.com/blog/ She seems like she is the most out there person if you just look at the pictures or watch her dancing, but she is awesome and super real and encouraging!

Gallery Blog

T. Joy likes this post.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #270
Proud Fan Club Member

I'll check her out...
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #271
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Dylan outgrew his shorts...or at least more than 1/2 of them, I’ve had trouble finding his size at the thrift store. I found a store that had athletic shorts, the style he likes, for the same price as Goodwill. I bought enough to replace the ones he outgrew. I’m still the only one that needs another pair or two.

T. Joy likes this post.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #272
luvstochatchatCHAT

I got some more hand me downs for Asher! Yay! With my minimal outlook, I went through them and picked out what he needs and have a bag to give back to my friend.
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:53 AM   #273
Proud Fan Club Member

Glad there isn't a LSS here...yesterday I knew Taylored Expressions was some place near Paula...well, on our way home we got caught in another accident slow down/stopped on the freeway...

We happened to be at an exit that I knew how we could get around the problem...as we exited off I also said to Don...and this will take us right past a stamp store (I thought it was Taylored Expressions but it wasn't)

We went in and I was overwhelmed. Very overwhelmed...but I knew what was on my list in my head...I asked specifically for those items...and then as I was going to the checkout I saw a display of farm paper, stamps and dies...never see this before...

Don said...you never will come close to spending on your hobby what I have spent in one year on mine...You're fine...and he paid the bill.

Good thing I wasn't with Paula, I might have spent more time browsing. I didn't cover 1/5th of the store, just went through the list in my head! Did good.
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:16 AM   #274
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.

Quote:
Glad there isn't a LSS here...yesterday I knew Taylored Expressions was some place near Paula...well, on our way home we got caught in another accident slow down/stopped on the freeway...

We happened to be at an exit that I knew how we could get around the problem...as we exited off I also said to Don...and this will take us right past a stamp store (I thought it was Taylored Expressions but it wasn't)

We went in and I was overwhelmed. Very overwhelmed...but I knew what was on my list in my head...I asked specifically for those items...and then as I was going to the checkout I saw a display of farm paper, stamps and dies...never see this before...

Don said...you never will come close to spending on your hobby what I have spent in one year on mine...You're fine...and he paid the bill.

Good thing I wasn't with Paula, I might have spent more time browsing. I didn't cover 1/5th of the store, just went through the list in my head! Did good.

Farm stamps and farm paper and farm dies! Oh!

Never give up, just practice, stay positive and have fun!

Make your holiday season less stressful. Join me for a Holiday Cruise!

Join me for two brand spanking NEW SCS Challenges. Life in Pockets - PKP011 - every 1st and 3rd Wednesday. Word Of The Year - WOTY003 - monthly challenge you to get creative with your word.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:30 AM   #275

So what did you get, Faye? I have only been to that store once, but it is really nice! And the staff seems to know a lot about everything, which isn't the case at the west des moines lss.

Also, we went to comic con after so Jeff could take more pictures for work and so we could try to watch the David Tennant Q & A session, which we did and it was lovely. But I will say that I can't go to a festival with artist/crafter vendors and not buy something. It's too hard. I went so cheap, but I did buy from 4 people. I really liked their stuff and contributed a tiny bit to hopefully making it a good show for them.

And now my wedding ring is in and the bills are starting to come in for Jeff's heart tests (no blockages, minor heart damage due to high blood pressure, added a med), so I will be trying to stay away from festivals until we get a few things paid for.
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #276
Proud Fan Club Member

I posted a smidge on the stamping chatter...figured this was not the place to share what I purchased!
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #277

I have been being super careful. I've avoided stores where possible. I'm trying to keep lights turned off, use up scraps, go to the library, make treats at home, and I think if I can order Father's Day gifts by tomorrow night that I can use a 60% off code (photo travel mugs from walgreens).

There's lots of extra stuff on the next paycheck, so I am going to try to stay careful. #constantvigilance

Gallery Blog

T. Joy likes this post.
luvtostampstampstamp likes this post.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #278
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

I got an email from Joann that their 12x12 paper was 20 for $3. Decided to spend part of my craft $$... took in a 50% off coupon also. Paper didn’t ring up right & the cashier said... it’s still on sale, .31 instead of .79 each, not a big deal. I told her great, then she could pay the difference of .15 per sheet since it’s not a big deal. She was suddenly willing to change the price for me!

T. Joy likes this post.
FayeMakesCards likes this post.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #279
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
I have been being super careful. I've avoided stores where possible. I'm trying to keep lights turned off, use up scraps, go to the library, make treats at home, and I think if I can order Father's Day gifts by tomorrow night that I can use a 60% off code (photo travel mugs from walgreens).

There's lots of extra stuff on the next paycheck, so I am going to try to stay careful. #constantvigilance

#constantvigilance for sure. I don't think I'll ever be able to breeze through money/budget stuff at least for sure while kiddos are at home!

I just did my budget work this morning and I need to be super careful this month for sure in all accounts (b/c I did get a little spend happy last month so I'm ready to not be this month...) and next month for the littles so that I have a nice amount to go back to school shopping with. I do need new bras still, but have been certainly making do, so I'm in no hurry. But it's one thing I will be willing to spend money on this month if opportunity arises for me to go shopping by myself.
T. Joy likes this post.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #280

Just an FYI if you use that hashtag somewhere else, Constant Vigilance is something one of the characters in Harry Potter says. I have a shirt with that on it.

Gallery Blog

T. Joy likes this post.