Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #201
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Host
Proud Fan Club Member

Kazeka, the challenges are great and the ladies in this thread awesome.  Come join us and play in the challenges. 
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
mcschmidty, kazeka, jan31 and 1 others like this post.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:01 PM   #202
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Catherine, I used to use vlookup but don’t ask me now how to use excel now as we don’t have it anymore. 

Gracie, I remember using a telex machine in the UK and sending a telex to Australia and thought that was pretty cool. Remember the carbon paper and tippex when typing..oh my.  I was a stenographer and wanted to be a court reporter but you had to have 150 wpm and I couldn’t get past 140 wpm. I still use my shorthand.  I once worked for a solicitor during school holidays. I had to use envelopes as scrap paper and when I wanted another pencil I had to take my old one to him and show him it was pretty much finished with. He would keep his stationery cupboard locked like Ebenezer Scrooge lol. The stories I could tell when working as a typist during school holidays and then when I started full time work.  I was so naive and in the holidays leading up to Xmas, the office parties. I didn’t have a clue what was going on. When I think back to some of the office furniture and cupboards I would love to have one of them in my craft room with all the tiny drawers and cupboards lol.  Those were the days lol.  I wish I could remember peoples names. I can picture them but not their names. 
mcschmidty, AnnetteMac, kazeka and 5 others like this post.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #203
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Naughty, Shirl, naughty!
mcschmidty, annsforte3, shirlb19 and 2 others like this post.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #204
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

That's OK, Jayne, Youtube helped me out with vlookup. It is a function I had never needed before.

I started to take shorthand in high school thinking it would be useful for taking notes in college...but I didn't keep taking it, I didn't feel like practicing!
mcschmidty, AnnetteMac, jan31 and 3 others like this post.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #205
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought ann put.... What is the right beach one? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
If they aren't showing up in the alpha gallery it's because you didn't have the keyword for that. It's ABC14A1. 
mcschmidty likes this post.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #206
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzpomView Post
Kazeka, the challenges are great and the ladies in this thread awesome.  Come join us and play in the challenges. 

I just may have to join in, now that I've seen how this all works. I haven't done as much crafting as I'd like, even in social distancing, but things should start to slow down for  me and these themes really look fun!
Karen
Old 10-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #207
Crimping Master

Ozpom,  Oh my goodness...I remember telexes too. So funny, because I haven't thought about them in years. One of my earlier jobs was with a company that manufactured communications equipment for the US and foreign governments. So we were always sending a telex to other countries.

My adult children are aghast at the idea that we didn't even have personal computers,  back in the day, and that I typed my college papers on a typewriter. Now, the only time you see a typewriter is on a vintage ad or craft project. I still remember struggling with the carbon paper...eek!
Karen
Old 10-14-2020, 10:19 PM   #208
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Hello

Hi ladies! 

Windy and blustery looking out, but its 80 out!  Looks like a big cool down for the next 10 days- 40-50's.....  Midwest weather!

Went and donated blood today- they love O+ and since my blood count was healthy, they asked me to donate 2 units of red cells- they filter it out and return platelets and plasma.....  Also had piano lessons and a little bit of time to create plus cleaned a bit in the craft room.  Also worked on 8 card kits I am trying to get together- will finish tomorrow.  

My hubby is a software engineer, and when he first went to college, they used the ticker tape things.....  things have changed so very much!  I can figure out Word for digital images and a blog, but not too much else.  Whenever I ask hubby something about how to or fixing something on the computer, he always has me google it before he looks at it... 
Yes Karen, lots of typing for papers, etc when we were younger- now the kids just email their papers to the professors!  

Shirl- I like your funny reply to Catherine : )  

Kathy- beautifully done- I have trouble fining lots of smaller images to make my own DSP, but will challenge myself to try this technique in the next week : )

Catherine- you have great will power!  If you make a small purchase, you will get an email coupon for 50% off if you are on the email list......

Kandie- so disappointing to have your daughter respond to your beautiful work like this- hope the color touch ups work well.  

Melodie- love the way you describe how you are with technology- just enough to be dangerous- lol!

Waving hello to all- wishing I was at the beach on some of the B cards!!!

Shelly
annsforte3, shirlb19, Ozpom and 1 others like this post.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #209
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post

I just may have to join in, now that I've seen how this all works. I haven't done as much crafting as I'd like, even in social distancing, but things should start to slow down for  me and these themes really look fun!
Karen

Do join in, Karen/kazeka! Curious, where in Northern Cal are you? I'm in the foothills out of Auburn, CA, but Northern Cal is a pretty big area.
mcschmidty, annsforte3, Ozpom and 1 others like this post.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:33 PM   #210
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Oh, and it cracks me up how my DDs love vintage things like typewriters and old fashioned telephones!
mcschmidty, annsforte3, shirlb19 and 2 others like this post.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #211
Stazon Splitcoast

When I was in college, I worked in the library and we had an old, old manual Underwood typewriter to type up the library cards for the books and card catalog.  And that was a long, long time ago.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 ~ Fan Club Member ~ gallery ~ FS620 lacyquiltercome join the Alphabet Challenge ~ My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20
mcschmidty, smadson, annsforte3 and 3 others like this post.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:23 PM   #212
Gallery Gazer

When I started work they had a copy machine in its own room it was so big, you had to put the pieces through and then again to darken the print, took ages to make just one copy, smelt awful and of course being the office junior it was my job,
I remember learning to use an electric typewriter after a manual one, kept running away with me and we had the foot pedal to listen to the transcript on the tape recorder. We worked in the typing pool as they called our office, the noise from six typewriters was horrendous when I think back.
mcschmidty, smadson, annsforte3 and 2 others like this post.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:27 PM   #213
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

If anyone is interested, my MMJ challenge is up.  Have fun.  I’m heading to my play room now.
mcschmidty, annsforte3 and Kemernow like this post.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:32 PM   #214
Gallery Gazer

Kandie how disappointing for you, kids they really take the biscuit as we say! Shame after you’ve worked so hard on it, maybe you can use it for a gift for another family member instead.

Jayne I see you won’t be visiting Spain for a while, I’ve just read you won’t be allowed to travel to Europe until at least 2022, 

our infection rates have gone down to zero for our town but as we said after last weekend any spike will take maybe two weeks, it’s so quiet here but we are never here at this time of year, usually in England and then SF until after thanksgiving.

Where our son lives they had a vote if the schools should open and they decided not to open them yet, our GSs are working via zoom still, 8am until 3.30 so they are keeping them at it! Yesterday they had to make colours from spices, we have a powder that the Spanish use in paella’s  cheaper than using saffron, well it made the brightest yellow, maybe I should buy it for crafting, LOL

Our sons friend has a unicycle, he catches the Muni to Fishermans wharf and cycles along to the marina where he has a boat, great way to get about!

Old 10-15-2020, 12:41 AM   #215
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Jan, we also heard it will be 2022 at the earliest...time to think about buying that camper van or caravan LOL.

Yes, buy the spices...I watched a video recently where all kinds of dry powders were used on a gelli plate...I would think spices could be used too.  I've just made a few panels.  I will save them for future cards or die cuts but will post them on the MMJ thread soon.  I need to make some more cards but I may have a sleep first. I had a restless night.

Happy day everyone 
mcschmidty, annsforte3 and Kemernow like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:19 AM   #216
Gallery Gazer

Jayne I’ve haven’t had time to watch the videos yet, hopefully this afternoon as we are having a day off just having breakfast on the marina and then shopping

Looking forward to this challenge although I already have plenty I could use, ha, ha
mcschmidty, annsforte3, Ozpom and 1 others like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:21 AM   #217
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Jan just use what you have and create a card or something with those.  Whatever suits. Happy shopping. 
mcschmidty, jan31, annsforte3 and 1 others like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:37 AM   #218
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

What’s everyone doing today?  I had a nap this arvo so I expect I’ll be up late. We are watching Poldark....wait rewind..I’m watching Poldark. DH says it bores him lol... and DH is enjoying the Senate Confirmation Hearing. The judge is so smart.  Fascinating stuff. 

Last edited by Ozpom; 10-15-2020 at 04:45 AM..
Old 10-15-2020, 07:04 AM   #219
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

I worked for an Argentinian who was trying to bring electric cars to America, they were called Elcars.  I’d send telexes for him.  I loved typing and shorthand in class.  I still have favorite shortcuts I use when writing.  Here’s a funny, as my stepmom would say:  when I dream about old work places, as I do a lot, I’m always the one person with the manual typewriter when everyone else has a computer, lol.  Or I forgot to put a blouse on, or I wander in three hours late.  I have those kinds of nightmares all the time!

It has been so long since I had a blog that I don’t remember the name, but it was for handmade soaps made with essential oils.  I had all kinds of fun with embedded programs.  Those were the days, lol.

I think there is a misunderstanding about DD1 and the pink rose journal.  She does not know about it, it is a Christmas gift.  She’s always loved roses.  I knew I had made something she might treasure.  We were talking one day and she mentioned her room where she keeps all her mementos, and it’s decorated in red, she said.  Why red, I asked. Because those are her favorite colors of roses.  Not pink?  No, just red and yellow!  Big oops on my part. So, I will keep the pink one for my sample.

I’ve never printed my papers before, until I saw this Etsy site where a digital journal bundle for pink rose papers, tags, envelopes and other ephemera, everything I put into the first journal, was 6.99.  I decided to give it a try.  I had to find videos of how to make journals, and had so much fun that I downloaded files for a wildflower bundle and a lavender bundle.  So to make three journals, one for each daughter for Christmas and one for myself, it would cost me 20.97 for digital files, and one color ink cartridge.  I considered it money well spent!  Plus, I have so many papers left over that I am making more journals just because I love them so much, lol.

The site doesn’t have anything in red.  However, yes I have known about the Graphics Fairy clear back when the site offered 2,000 graphics free of charge.  Now it’s over 5,000 graphics and offers premium memberships.  It was cheaper to spend the 6.99 and have everything coordinated.  I have now tracked down and saved several free ephemera featuring red roses, so I think I have enough time to visit craft stores for bg papers!

Phil. 4:13: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
mcschmidty, lacyquilter, jan31 and 2 others like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:30 AM   #220
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Kandie you may be able to sell your beautiful journals on Etsy.  Have fun
mcschmidty, jan31 and annsforte3 like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #221
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning! I think I am having sympathy back pain with those of you who have been having back issues. Yesterday was a LONG day because of it. It is better this morning, praying it continues to go that way!

I took typing my freshman year of high school. At that point, my boyfriend was a grade ahead of me and he gave me the best advice before my first typing class. He said that some of the typewriters in the classroom had the labels on the keys and some didn't and advised me to go for a typewriter that didn't because then there would never be a temptation to look down at the keys! I was a fast and accurate typist which I think is partially due to playing piano - I know that sometimes my foot was looking for the piano pedal when I was typing...lol!

Melody, I worked in the school library when I was a junior in high school. My best school job when in high school, though, was my senior year when I worked in the music department.

Jayne, I'll have to check out your MMJ challenge. I bought a pack of cards at the dollar store but haven't had time to play with the playing card challenge. I'm not having as much time to play with DD2 back to home schooling.

Kandie, you used to make soap? DD1 buys handmade soap from someone online, she loves it. 

I'm glad that you found out your daughter prefers red and yellow roses before you gave her the gift. And bummer, I guess you'll have to keep that beauty you made! (Just kidding, I don't think that is a bummer at all!)

Jan, isn't every day supposed to be a day off?
mcschmidty, annsforte3 and Ozpom like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #222
Gallery Gazer

Catherine that’s what I thought when we retired and 19 years later we still keep finding things to do!

Jayne I like Poldark, when it’s on every time poldark rides his horse on the cliffs steve pretends he riding a horse and then he pretends to be using the scythe, it’s quite funny but  poldark has a six pack when he strips to cut the corn but someone here doesn’t LOL always makes me laugh!
Old 10-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #223
Gallery Gazer

So we couldn’t find a tV unit in the shop in the port so steve had the bright idea of going to IKEA so after the gardener came round we went off, takes an hour but it was fine, we found a unit we liked I wrote down the codes and aisle number etc then I saw some plants but afterwards I realised I had lost the paper with the numbers on!!!
Luckily steve found a screen so we could look them up thankfully but it stressed me out, we had a quick coffee and then steve decided he wanted some black currant jam so I went on the shop only to find I had to pay at the normal check outs, the man in front of me couldn’t get his credit card to work so ten minutes later she cancelled his order and served me! Why me! Always in the wrong line!
We drove home dumped the boxes and had dinner, why is IKEA so tiring 
mcschmidty and annsforte3 like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:03 PM   #224
Proud Fan Club Member

I had four years of shorthand in high school. Straight A's. Most useless class ever because shortly after graduation they began using dictaphones and other device. I have nearly forgotten everything I learned. I was good at typing, so I can still use that talent. I got the business education award at awards night my senior year. Also, my senior year I worked on the middle school office. I used the switchboard and intercom system and the mimeograph machine. Remember those? You typed on special paper and then put that paper onto the roller and it rolled out copies. I loved that weird smell! 

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Alpha list. https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...262-post1.html
Old 10-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #225
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Afternoon everyone!!  Wow lots of chatter, so fun! So happy all of you enjoy the chatting! And the challenges!

Kandie, fabulous that you get to keep the journal for yourself!  I love roses but carnations are still my favorite!  

Sharon and I are working on another journal, one with a 1919 lady and red roses.  We got the images free for finishing our September journals as a gift from dearjuliejulie.

Catherine, so glad you are caught up on grading! Nice!

Karen, welcome!!  So hope you will join us!!  As Jayne has said, we have such a great group of ladies here!!

All this talk about office work!  I remember those old machines, not fun, so easy on the computer now!  But taking a typing course sure prepared us for keyboarding!! My sons used to ask me why I could type so fast on the keyboard, I would say typing 101!

Off to finally check out some challenges! Have a great rest of your day ladies!
mcschmidty, jan31 and Ozpom like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:02 PM   #226
Stazon Splitcoast

Speaking of spices, I have used them on cards.  The easiest way is to mix the spice with a bit of embossing powder and emboss it -- smells to good.  Another way you could add the spice is rub it onto some double-sided sticky tape or mix with some liquid glue and let it dry.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 ~ Fan Club Member ~ gallery ~ FS620 lacyquiltercome join the Alphabet Challenge ~ My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20
Old 10-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #227
Stazon Splitcoast

Ann this is keyword  ABC14A1hotwheels first challenge right?
did type it right? because I try edit and still not show right? What is the Keyword B? And if you wanted to add another keyword for another challenge? Like teapotter challenge how should it look so I can just copy the keyword. I am not good at combine challenges and Keywords? can you help me? please thanks Linda
Old 10-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #228
Stazon Splitcoast

Linda, the alpha keywords are:
ABC14A1
ABC14B2
ABC14C3
etc...

Whichever one you are doing, you include that keyword.  If you want to also include a personal keyword, use something like ABC14hotwheels (notice, I left out the letter and number for the individual challenge, because that keyword will be yours for the entire round 14.  For example, for letter A, your keywords would be ABC14A1, ABC14hotwheels, and any additional challenges you are including.  If your card also fit ways to use it challenge #805, then you would also include that. 

For example: ABC14A1, ABC14hotwheels, WT805 

Each keyword is separated by a comma and space from the next keyword.

Hope that helps.

mcschmidty, muscrat, annsforte3 and 2 others like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #229
Proud Fan Club Member

Linda the B keyword is ABC14B2. 

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

mcschmidty and annsforte3 like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #230
Proud Fan Club Member

Melody and I were posting at the same time! LOL

Daily Scripture Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #231
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought I type the keyword like this ABC14hotwheels, And lydia telling me the keyword wrong. I trying edit about 10 minutes go And not showing up. What is going on? Do need add both like ABC14A1, ABC14hotwheels is that what I am doing wrong?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacyquilterView Post
Linda, the alpha keywords are:
ABC14A1
ABC14B2
ABC14C3
etc...

Whichever one you are doing, you include that keyword. If you want to also include a personal keyword, use something like ABC14hotwheels (notice, I left out the letter and number for the individual challenge, because that keyword will be yours for the entire round 14. For example, for letter A, your keywords would be ABC14A1, ABC14hotwheels, and any additional challenges you are including. If your card also fit ways to use it challenge #805, then you would also include that.

For example: ABC14A1, ABC14hotwheels, WT805

Each keyword is separated by a comma and space from the next keyword.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by hotwheels; 10-15-2020 at 01:37 PM..
Old 10-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #232
Stazon Splitcoast

Linda, you really only need ABC14A1.  The extra one with your screen name is only for yourself, if you want to do a quick search to see if you completed them all for the round, but it is not a necessary keyword for the challenge.  I only put mine about half the time, because I forget.  No big deal.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #233
Proud Fan Club Member

Ha, Ha, Shelly, I like your advice to Catherine, lol.

Afternoon all! Dh and I just booked our flu shot appts. for next Wed. 

Had a burger coupon from D.Q. so we got those for our lunch today.

Ann, I am the same, love roses but carnations are my fave. It is my birth flower and they last a long time if buying a bunch.

Yes, Jan, IKEA is pretty tiring, I agree.

Karen welcome to jump in to the alpha challenges.

Catherine sorry about the back pain, do you go to a chiro? I go monthly as a preventative. I usually sleep really well that night. It is good for something.

Yes Linda, you've got to type the alpha challenge letters first, then with your name if you want, but like Melody mentioned that is only if you want to know what you have done. I don't do it.

Got to go do a bit of grocery shopping!

Shirl

Last edited by shirlb19; 10-15-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Old 10-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #234
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Linda,

Like the others have said, follow the keywords on the challenge listing for each week.

It is always, ABC for the name of the challenge, then the round number, the the letter of the week, and finally the week number we are on.

Only add your on keyword like Melody has said if you want to see all of your cards in one spot for the round.

Like I add: ABC14annsforte3 so I can search and find all of my cards for this round.

You just have to remember to always add that keyword to your cards each time you load them!

Have a good night!
mcschmidty and shirlb19 like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #235
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Woot, woot! Congrats to Jayne, our newest Dirty Girl!
mcschmidty, jan31, smadson and 2 others like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #236
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Congrats to Jayne!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you!!
mcschmidty and Ozpom like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #237
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Love your photo, Jayne!
Old 10-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #238
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Ladies..I was hoping some of you would have guessed on the reveal last night.  There was only me and Kim LOL.  I stayed up until 1.20am...absolutely stuffed today.  

It’s been a weird month in all respects but I need my craft and I’m honoured to be joining all of you talented ladies.  I think the alpha thread will see a few more coming. 

Old 10-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #239
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Catherine thanks...I saw a few of you were online when I was and wanted to say come and see me but I couldn’t.  

Catherine you would laugh. About two weeks ago after I’d decided to accept the offer I washed my hair, did my makeup...something I’ve not done for months..the makeup LOL...put on one of my dresses and had DH snap some photos until we got a good one. After we had finished, I went straight into the bedroom, changed into my comfy house clothes and washed all the makeup off. DH kept saying where’s the gorgeous woman gone..such a dill as we say..LOL.
mcschmidty, jan31, smadson and 2 others like this post.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #240
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I'm sorry to say that I completely forgot today was reveal day. So sorry to have missed it, Jayne. But very happy to see you as a Dirty Girl!