Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2020, 07:04 PM   #3561
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Host
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by annsforte3View Post
I love the research for genealogy!  I know I'm nuts but the thrill of finding the information is exciting to me!

I have been researching since about 1998 when my MIL started to go down from Alzheimer. She remembered more things from the past then the present so it was a good way to stay in touch with her. Plus getting family information!

I have over 30 binders filled with information on the families I research.  My spouses side is from Poland so for years I would go to the LDS to look at films. 

It is getting easier with more information online!!  

I just took a subscription to Newspapers.com and I already have one to Genealogybank.com  Finding the obits for extended family sure is a great help.

If anyone needs something looked up just email or pm me, I would be happy to look for you.

Well back to scanning!  MY goal is to get all the paperwork on my computer and no more binders with the exception of original documents!

Now that I have bored most of you with all of this...

Ann, you might wish you had never said this   My hubby is back on the pc today. Yesterday he found a group photo simply by googling his GGFs surname. Someone had donated photos to the South Australian State library and there they were as they were a prominent family years ago in that State. He was over the moon as he had never seen his GGGM.  He now thinks he can go one further. 

He’s back to the 1600s on one branch and 1500s on another. He finds more info by searching on his grandparents extended family through obits and sometimes newspaper articles.  Some people who have researched the same tree sometimes have it wrong. He is very thorough and will not put the person in unless he can find info on their birth, death, marriage and is 99.9% sure he has the right person. 

Two years ago we visited homes where his ancestors lived in Scotland and also on the Scottish Borders and this year have a trip planned back to Scotland...the Orkneys where one branch came from. It is exciting and he is hooked.

I started researching my tree in my 20s. There wasn’t ancestry.com then and everything was done through the church or Counties in the UK. It was expensive to obtain a document and life got in the way. I still have all my notes. My Aunt and nephew both did the tree years ago and I have a copy of those but they didn’t delve further so once hubby has finished his...which I think will be never lol...we will go over mine again.  Mine is interesting as I only have 3 lines to research to start with...yep it explains a lot 

Happy hunting 
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
annsforte3 and Kemernow like this post.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #3562
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Hi Shirl...I’m with you. I always have a flu shot but I’m a social butterfly plus my immune system is shot. I had the swine flu years ago when returning from Canada via Hong Kong. Since then my Dr has recommended I have the shot. I do get a bad cold occasionally but the dr says had I not had the shot, I would have been worse. I eat healthy and so far my immune system hasn’t let me down. Keep getting well.

This current virus is worrying me and today I heard that some passengers on a cruise ship we have taken in Japan have tested positive.  Eeek.....the ship can hold up to 3000 passengers and they must be feeling nervous.  Hopefully they caught the passengers early and before they mixed onboard.  I shall become a crab under a rock if it gets worse lol.

See ya’ll later. 

annsforte3, shirlb19 and Kemernow like this post.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #3563
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks, Jayne for the confirmation on the flu shot.

Also, ha, ha, I just noticed your location-Fairyland! Fun! Have you always said that or did you change it?

Shirl
muscrat, annsforte3, Ozpom and 1 others like this post.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #3564
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi everyone! I finally made a couple of cards for the featured stamper challenge from last week - Angie - and got those uploaded. Now if work would just slow down! I know that won't happen, but still!

I've been missing from this thread for a few days.

Kandie, I'm glad your surgery went well. I really don't know anything about cataract surgery but I have ordered a lot of lenses for that surgery! That sounds quite painful though. I'll be in trouble if I need that surgery as it is hard to get drops in my eyes.

Shirl, I'll give the opposite opinion about the flu shot. There are so many different strains of flu and the shot is for their best guess of what is coming. Plus, I've gotten sick in the past after getting the shot so I avoid it like the plague nowadays!

Welcome, Karen! You have found a great corner of SCS. There are two threads associated with the Alphabet challenge. This one - the chat thread - and the other one is where you post the link to your card for the alphabet challenge and can be found here: alphabet challenge round 12 post cards here t630570.html

I did read through the chatter but didn't take notes, oh, your poor DH, Kandie! I think I would "sleep" through those incidents too!
muscrat, annsforte3 and Kemernow like this post.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:55 PM   #3565
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I do not get the flu shot due to my allergy to eggs.  There is a shot that does not use eggs in it but it is rare to find it anywhere.  I asked at CVS pharmacy when I was there and nope, even they did not have it.

shirlb19 and Kemernow like this post.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:58 PM   #3566
Proud Fan Club Member

Hi Catherine! I wondered where you were! 

Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't get the flu shot. My doctor always writes in my record....patient refused the flu shot. I tell him that if everyone else is getting the shot, then there won't be any flu to worry about! 

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Alpha list. https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...262-post1.html
cdimick, annsforte3, Ozpom and 1 others like this post.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #3567
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Night all!

Heading to bed after we just clean up after Iris.  Yup she had a "load" of stuff stuck to her backside after going outside!  Yikes!  Of course it got into my carpet in my craft room!  The worst was cleaning a 89 lb dogs backside who can not stand for long periods of time.

So my spouse held her up with the slings, I held her around her collar, and my number five son cleaned the back!!  

We live such an exciting life here!

Night all! Sweet dreams!
Kemernow likes this post.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:58 PM   #3568
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Oh Ann, so sorry! Poor Iris too.

If only it worked that way, Kathy. I'm just not impressed with how they do the flu shot. Honestly, if people would just wash their hands properly, that would help protect them a lot. But most don't wash with soap long enough.
annsforte3, Ozpom and Kemernow like this post.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #3569
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
Thanks, Jayne for the confirmation on the flu shot.

Also, ha, ha, I just noticed your location-Fairyland! Fun! Have you always said that or did you change it?

Shirl

I changed it last year for fun 
muscrat, annsforte3, shirlb19 and 1 others like this post.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:16 PM   #3570
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by annsforte3View Post
Night all!

Heading to bed after we just clean up after Iris.  Yup she had a "load" of stuff stuck to her backside after going outside!  Yikes!  Of course it got into my carpet in my craft room!  The worst was cleaning a 89 lb dogs backside who can not stand for long periods of time.

So my spouse held her up with the slings, I held her around her collar, and my number five son cleaned the back!!  

We live such an exciting life here!

Night all! Sweet dreams!

Old 02-04-2020, 11:16 PM   #3571
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Does anyone know how to find a back issue of the Weekly Inklings to read.  The search only brings up the tutorials and I'd like to read a recent issue that I deleted in error.  Thanks ladies.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:57 AM   #3572
Proud Fan Club Member

Its on the home page.
Splitcoaststampers Help, Technical Support and Contact Information

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

annsforte3, shirlb19, Ozpom and 1 others like this post.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:07 AM   #3573
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Kathy. I’m always amazed when people find certain threads, including this one as they aren’t that easy to find. It took me nearly 2 years to find you all
Old 02-05-2020, 06:32 AM   #3574
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Shelly and Karen, Ryan is our last name.  On Ancestry.com I traced DH’s line back 4 generations to his great-great-grandfather who was head of a church in Ireland and was kicked out for impregnating a woman, who became his wife, by the way.  They moved to the states.  I can’t find any further records due to a fire in Dublin where they were stored. DH says he doesn’t have a family tree, he has a family branch, lol.

And I did the DNA and found I’m 72% from England, Ireland and Wales!  Wow, wonder if we are related?  

Phil. 4:13: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
mcschmidty, annsforte3 and Ozpom like this post.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:35 AM   #3575
Proud Fan Club Member

And Ann has been a huge help with trying to help me trace my dad’s records back.  I think my dad’s relatives must have changed their name or been in the witness protection program or something.  I have been able to find very little on his life.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #3576
Proud Fan Club Member

Ah, but Kathy, you do go to Walmart, you know, and sick people are everywhere...  you must have a very strong immune system!

Old 02-05-2020, 06:50 AM   #3577
Proud Fan Club Member

Since getting bit by those bugs two years ago which aggravated my immune system to thinking it was under attack all the time and developing plaque psoriasis as a result, my immune system is shot!  My doctor ordered me to get all available immunization shots (have to get a TB test first each year) and thankfully if I do get sick, it isn’t real bad.  That virus going around, though, which is STILL going around and is now closing our schools because nearly half the students and teachers are ill is a nasty one, and no one seems to have found any cure for it yet.  I had it for 6 weeks. The weather here is so stupid this year that it has contributed greatly to the extensiveness of the virus - it’s too warm!  We are over 40 inches of snow under last year and only had three days of extreme cold.  Not cold enough to kill germs.  DSS3 is a factory plant manager with 15 employees in his area and this week so far 11 have called in sick.  They are a major RV manufacturer and are seriously behind in their orders for 2020.

annsforte3 and Ozpom like this post.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #3578
Proud Fan Club Member

I’m getting headaches from trying to see the television with my glasses on because the right lens is now messing with my right eye and I’m getting eye strain.  DH is out running errands, and he said he’ll bring me an eye patch to wear for watching tv, lol, that I can take off when reading.  I shall look like a pirate!

Surgery for left eye is this coming Monday.  Can’t wait!

Ann, I’ve worn contacts for enough years that someone touching my eyes no longer bothers me.

DH said this morning he’s tired of looking at dead grass and permagloom and finally admits he wants to see some snow on the ground.  That’s a major statement for him.

Just a question for everyone.  Do you feel like all you have to do is blink and time flies by?  I am seriously astounded how I’m losing track of time and it’s already February of 2020, and my DGS2 just turned 21 and it seems like he was just 17.  It’s almost frightening.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #3579
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Morning!

Kandie, remember when we were young and it seemed a day lasted forever!  Now it just goes by so quickly, unless I'm sick then it seems the days last forever!

Fairyland!  Jayne I want to go!

Kathy, that basket you made is gorgeous!  I have to check out the tutorial!
muscrat, Ozpom and Kemernow like this post.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:54 AM   #3580
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks ann! I was surprised at how easy it was to improvise the die she used!  I have SU's circle framelits. Its not the layering circles. The largest die is scalloped and about 4 3/4" so I cut two because I cut them a little more than in half. I tried cutting them in half, and it worked fine, but the die I used to make the design needed more space. 

Daily Scripture Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #3581
Proud Fan Club Member

Ann, my family hasn't been able to find much info on my maternal grandfather. I believe he was raised by grandparents, although I think they have his dads name. I will have to ask mom a bit more and maybe then you could help. My uncle did a lot of research and made a book with pictures he gathered. I think he waited too long to start because my grandparents are long gone and so are their siblings.

Daily Scripture Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 09:05 AM   #3582
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Happy to help in whatever way I can, Kathy!  

It's surprising what you find in old newspaper articles!
muscrat, Ozpom and Kemernow like this post.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #3583
Stazon Splitcoast

I've never been able to get excited about geneology.  My sister, Carol, did a lot of research before you could get info on line.  She'd go to the library & court house (I think), both in Milwaukee and Madison.  She would start talking about this or that line of people, giving names, etc., and I would zone out.  I guess I live very much in the now. 

Yes, time is definitely speeding up!

Jayne, at the bottom of any screen on SCS, there is a list starting with 'home | gallery | forums | resources, etc.'  If you want to just browse on the site, that's a good place to start.  You can find lots of stuff.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 ~ Fan Club Member ~ gallery ~ FS620 lacyquiltercome join the Alphabet Challenge ~ My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20
Old 02-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #3584
Proud Fan Club Member

Jennifer says hello and sends big hugs. 

Daily Scripture Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #3585
Stazon Splitcoast

Kathy did scs weekly video sound work you? I am not getting sound on the video today!
mcschmidty likes this post.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #3586
Proud Fan Club Member

No. There was no sound, but the video is fine and easy to follow.

Daily Scripture Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #3587
Proud Fan Club Member

Linda, it was recorded without sound because the author isn't from the USA. You can still follow it without sound. 

Daily Scripture Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #3588
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Hello everyone. Yep time is flying. When I worked I was always clock watching when I was younger. Now we say..how can it be Monday again. Now it’s Thursday and I don’t know where the other days went.

It’s very muggy here. We are going to IKEA....that doesn’t count as craft items if it’s a desk or chair.......and maybe a small sewing machine if I’m lucky.
mcschmidty, annsforte3 and Kemernow like this post.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #3589
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh yep, I stamped 4 panels last night for cards. Going to finish those today.

Last edited by Ozpom; 02-06-2020 at 12:45 AM..
mcschmidty, annsforte3 and Kemernow like this post.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:40 PM   #3590
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi everyone! Illness has struck our house again. DH stayed home sick today. He has to REALLY be sick to miss work. And DD1 stayed home today too. She has a sore throat and was trying to get rid of it before work tomorrow. If she still has it tomorrow, she can't legally go to work since she works in food service.

DD2 and I are fine...and hoping to stay that way! DD2 is coming to work with me tomorrow to job shadow me. It is a requirement for her school that she job shadow someone. Their hope is that the student will job shadow someone whose job they are interested in but she can't do that. We have a friend who is a medical examiner but he said no one can shadow him unless they are at least in college. I'm sure it is for keeping the chain of evidence absolutely pristine.

Kandie, I'm sure you make a fun pirate watching TV!

Ann, I have family members who have done a fair amount of genealogy research into our family and I've done a little bit. My mom's paternal family was traced back to New York and they had a family tavern that George Washington either stayed at or visited. I have a lovely published book on that part of the family.

And my brother has traced my dad's family back to a family castle in England. It is kind of fun. I'd like to go back to England and visit the castle.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #3591
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Linda, it was recorded without sound because the author isn't from the USA. You can still follow it without sound. 
Old 02-06-2020, 12:50 AM   #3592
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Catherine, sorry to hear that there’s illness in your family again...this flu going around isn’t nice. Wishing your DH and DD1 a speedy recovery

We are now back from IKEA...we have been out all arvo. That place is crazy. I walked so much around it’s maze that I my feet are sore. I did get lots of steps though lol.

DH has bought me a Linmon desk with Alex drawers...smaller than the trestle table I stole out of his garage 8 years ago lol. My room won’t look as cluttered. I also bought a pinboard and some bits and bobs for that. We were surprised how cheap it all was. DH is currently putting my drawers together. He’s a keeper.

He wouldn’t take me for the sewing machine....he said ikea was enough in one day and I agreed.

Still not back to the panels..time just goes so quickly and I need a rest at present lol.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #3593
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning! It is sunny and cool here.

DD1 is fine, she just needed to rest yesterday and she is at work today. DH, on the other hand, isn't feeling well at all. He definitely has something different than what I had. I sure hope he can kick it soon. He won't be going back to work this week though as he still has a fever this morning. Poor guy. I have brought in a load of wood and several loads up to the deck so he won't have to go so far to get wood today.

DD2 is coming with me to work as she is supposed to job shadow me today.

Yay, Jayne, happy for you with your Ikea purchases. That is what I have, a Linmon desk and two Alex drawer units. DD1 also has that for her desk system in her room. She has a very Ikea room.

Quiet on here this morning, I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #3594
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Morning!

Happy shopping, Jayne!!  Nice to get a new desk!!

My kids did that for me last year!!  And my monitors placed on the wall!!  Love it!

Catherine, hope you don't get what you hubby has!  Hope he feels better soon.  It seems these illnesses are hanging on for so long and so severe this year!  

Off to work on some genealogy again!  So need to get rid of all this paper!  Want everything in my computer for ease of research!  So easy to just bring up a file on a family and find it all in one place!  This will take me months to do!  And I only want to work on it in the yucky weather of winter or rainy days.
Ozpom and Kemernow like this post.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #3595
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm sure enjoying the mild winter so far! It is around 40° right now. A bit damp out and my feet are cold, but I won't complain. I'll just put on my socks!

Daily Scripture Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #3596
Stazon Splitcoast

JCI Before I move on to other things!
Old 02-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #3597
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ann, I'm hoping to avoid what he has too. I don't need another round of being ill. Whatever he has is worse than what I had because he has a fever too. Thankfully, I didn't have that to deal with! He's feeling a little better this evening, but, because of the fever, he won't go to work tomorrow.

Kathy, we had temps in the low 60s today, very mellow. When we got snow back at Thanksgiving, I thought this might be the winter where I would need to buy a real coat. But, so far, it hasn't been needed. I just use my raincoat which isn't heavy.

Hi Linda!

I hope Gracie is enjoying her holiday in Maui.

Vickster! Come out and play, we miss you!
Old 02-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #3598
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Catherine I hope that your hubby is feeling better today. We are going to put my new desk in my room. I wanted the Alex large drawers but I just don’t have the room so I ended up with the smaller ones...they will be fine as I have all my stash stored now..but I’m sure I will fill these ones up lol.

I also hope Vicki comes out to play. I keep on her back.

I coloured my panels last night and i stuffed up..again...why do I do this to myself. I’m such a perfectionist. Still I think they are ok and now I have to work out what I’m going to do with them.

Enjoy doing family history Ann...that’s on hubby’s list today.

Happy weekend..it’s nearly here.

Last edited by Ozpom; 02-06-2020 at 05:59 PM..
Old 02-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #3599
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Still at it and emailing a connection I found on the Polish marriage site!!
Ozpom and Kemernow like this post.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #3600
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Hi Ann..sending hugs. We need to get Vicki out to play. 
muscrat, annsforte3 and Kemernow like this post.