Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Default Question/comment on Screen Name Change

How come some people get to change their screen name? I mean, if it's only done in certain circumstances, what are those circumstances exactly?

And then, if someone does change their name, and someone else figures that out, should a person get a slap on the wrist (ban) when they point it out publicly?

I just watched a very interesting thing happen over the past few months. A very controversial poster seemed to have "disappeared". Then a new poster appeared with a very similar writing style.

I know that I personally had questioned whether it was the same person, because having multiple identities was against TOS. I know other people questioned the same thing.

Then, miraculously, sometime in the past few days the new poster's join date went back to 2004 and post count went up by several thousand.

So, what's that about? And I KNOW who the new/old poster is? Other people have referred to her by name, in some threads. Am I not *allowed* to refer to her by name?

Please. Someone enlighten me. I apparantly have entirely too much time on my hands...

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Gallery Gazer

very interesting...
Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

It is interesting, especially when I *think* (not 100% positive about this) another person was given a temporary ban for calling her by name when her *friends* do it in other forums too.

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
blaBBermouth

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadine529View Post
It is interesting, especially when I *think* (not 100% positive about this) another person was given a temporary ban for calling her by name when her *friends* do it in other forums too.
I'm really uspet by this. SCS is one of my favorite sites to visit, but I was very disappointed when this happened.

I can't wait to hear some answers on this(getting a second name) as I see it happening frequently on SCS.

I'd like to see it clearly outlined when getting a new names is acceptable. Also, I'm wondering if two persons in the same house can have a screen name.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinbbView Post
I'm really uspet by this. SCS is one of my favorite sites to visit, but I was very disappointed when this happened.

I can't wait to hear some answers on this(getting a second name) as I see it happening frequently on SCS.

I'd like to see it clearly outlined when getting a new names is acceptable. Also, I'm wondering if two persons in the same house can have a screen name.

my daughter and i each have a user name
Old 02-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Failed Lurker

I'd love to get an answer on this, too. I changed my screen name with permission a few years ago but all my old posts showed up my previous username - was this happening in the case you're talking about Nadine? My post number just carried on going up as if nothing had happened, too. And my join date stayed the same. This sounds very weird.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagpussView Post
I'd love to get an answer on this, too. I changed my screen name with permission a few years ago but all my old posts showed up my previous username - was this happening in the case you're talking about Nadine? My post number just carried on going up as if nothing had happened, too. And my join date stayed the same. This sounds very weird.

No. This person had a brand new user name, with a join date of 2008 and a few posts. Then, all of a sudden this person's new name (after several months) now shows a join date of 2004 and over 11k posts. So someone behind the scenes changed it.

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Failed Lurker

That's really weird. I always understood that you could only change your username if you were concerned about being identified because it contained your real name, for example. But that you had to be totally upfront about it.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning (well, it *was* morning when I started typing this), Nadine!

I understand your confusion, especially since it stems from inconsistencies on our end of things. We're working on that. I'll try to answer your questions, and appreciate your understanding that I can't discuss specifics regarding other members.

In the past, we used to allow name changes for pretty much any reason, and then, as our community grew, we realized that random name changes shouldn't happen. We would allow name changes when a username was your name (like, jenn), and then decided that we'll change a username if it's your FULL name. For instance, if my username was jenniferbalcer, I could request that it be changed, and we'd honor that request. Jbalcer, though, I'm stuck with.

Additionally (and maybe a little off-topic), if someone has been banned from our community and comes back and re-registers, we will take action when we are 100% sure that, without a doubt, the banned person back again. The same goes for those who decide that they want to abandon a username and post under a new one.

You asked another very good question, Nadine. Should someone who pointed out that a newer poster was maybe an older poster have gotten handslapped or banned for doing so? I don't think so, and I believe an apology is in order. I will take care of that personally.

If y'all ever have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Feel free to contact me directly, and I'll do my best to answer and to address your concerns.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Jenn,

I really appreciate you taking the time to outline all of that! I've been here a good, long while myself and sometimes it's hard to keep up with the changes.

You have always been so gracious in your explanations; I really appreciate that too.

As for the apology, well, like I said, you've always been gracious! Thanks again for your honest and clear response.

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Crimping Master

Not sure what it is called but the name under your user name mine for example says Embossing Fanatic now I didn't have that yesterday does this change randomly or is this something I put in. Yesterday I think it said something about a Crazy Stamper or something like that not sure....anyways is there anyways I can change this name to be whatever I want it to me....
Thank you not sure if this is where my question goes and I am new to SCS so just learning how to use the site properly
Old 03-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapGal25View Post
Not sure what it is called but the name under your user name mine for example says Embossing Fanatic now I didn't have that yesterday does this change randomly or is this something I put in. Yesterday I think it said something about a Crazy Stamper or something like that not sure....anyways is there anyways I can change this name to be whatever I want it to me....
Thank you not sure if this is where my question goes and I am new to SCS so just learning how to use the site properly
Has to do with the number of posts you've made.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

You can make your own title after you have 20,000 posts.

I think there's a list of what the titles are at each level of posts, but last time I looked for it, I couldn't find it.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Old 03-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #14
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapGal25View Post
Here's a link to the sticky/thread that has an explanation of what the name under your user name means.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin WroseView Post
You can make your own title after you have 20,000 posts.

I think there's a list of what the titles are at each level of posts, but last time I looked for it, I couldn't find it.
Once you get to 20,000, can you change the title just once or can you then change it as many times as you want? I've always wondered that... not like I'm close to 20,000, but at the rate I'm going... lol

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault
Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

You can change it whenever you want. You have to PM an admin to change it, though. But they're nice.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations