Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-28-2005, 01:41 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible new forum?

Hey everyone...

In light of all the hot topics recently, how does everyone feel about maybe a new forum specifically for "Hot Topics"? Maybe that way those who don't wish to discuss hot topics at all, can have the every day chit chat forum and general forum free from them. This way there is no temptation to post to something that could get heated if you don't see the threads to begin with. I know you don't have to open a thread and don't have to post to it, but sometimes the temptation is hard to resist when it's sitting right there in a forum you always frequent.

It's just a suggestion. I've belonged to other board communities and most of the time they did have a hot topic area specifically for that purpose so others who didn't want to see the hot topics didn't have to. The people who wanted to discuss current events, politics, religion, etc...could and have an appropriate place to do so without offending others.

So does this seem like a reasonable thing to request?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

You know I kind of like this idea. I have never posted in any of those "hot topic" threads but I do find myself just getting so involved reading all of the posts. I think I am just amazed at how "snarky" (to put it mildly) some people can be!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I would like to not have hot topics, but instead focus on stamping. But that's just me.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with Beate, but if people must get into hot topics, then that would be a great way to handle the flaming (my moniotr's getting scorched too much these days)

"Don�t take life too seriously. You�ll never get out alive." - Bugs Bunny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #5  
Mini Quack

Smile hot topics

I would like to be able to see new things and ideas...my daughter brought me to this site because she thought it would inspire me to Stamp...and enjoy some of the things she does..but I must say somedays I just go to the gallery so I do not get "down" reading the "garbage"... if I want to be frustrated or angry then I will need to give up scrapping and stamping because there just is not enough time in my day for ALL of it... so I personally would like to see fresh ideas and read friendly ways to to learn new things... and enjoy the fun... I am with Beate and Britta thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I am sure, but don't know for sure, that there must be websites GEARED for those HOT TOPICS and heated discussions.

I like that the MAJORITY of the time I have come here it hasn't been all on WHAT is HOT on the news....

So I must agree with the two B's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:51 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

It's a nice idea but I don't think it would work. People seem to post where ever they want. Right now there is a camera thread in the "All stamping, all the time" area. I think the hot topics would still pop up when you least expected them. IMHO you either have to turn a deaf ear and let them talk themselves out or you have to beef up the moderator's enforcemnt of the be nice rules.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:53 PM   #8  
The Digi-Freak

I honestly think it would just encourage *hot* topics. Which is *totally* not what this site is for.

JMHO

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 06:02 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beate
I would like to not have hot topics, but instead focus on stamping. But that's just me.
Beate - it's not "just" you. It's me, too!
Linda
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I agree with Beate ~~ Some of the anger and hurt feelings from "hot topics" can spill over into other forums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 08:59 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

We had this same discussion before the election. Seeing as how there are a few folks here who will move to the beat of their own personal drum no matter what, it probably won't work.

Beate, I've missed seeing your beautiful smiling face around here. So sorry all the cattiness has chased you away. If it weren't for your fabulous new tutorials, I'd think the trolls had run you off for good! I guess this is one of the inevitable growing pains that comes with the booming popularity of this site. I know that Daven and the moderators hate to have to crack down so hard in order to keep the peace, but unfortunately such action seems increasingly necessary by the day.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 01:39 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

But the nice thing is these threads can be moved or for that matter IF ppl choose to WILLINGLY post a thread (rant,,rave or just hot topic) where it doesnt matter it could just be flat out removed...why let these ppl have this much control here???? Obviously a TON of ppl like the drama cause they keep posting about it and to it and its just plain discusting...I wonder if those ppl remember the "do unto others as you wish others to do unto you"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 02:13 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with Beate, too. This is a STAMPING site...and the general discussion forum is just an extra. I wouldn't want to see them put 1 ounce of effort into things non-stamping. It's such a great resource!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 03:05 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Smile hot topics? I didn't know.....

I guess I'm fortunate because I don't know what y'all are talking about? I've only been exposed to very positive comments in the forums. I like sifting around through them but spend the majority of my time in the gallery and tutorials. From what I've seen everyone has been helpful and supportive and very appreciative of the people who developed and maintain this site. I love visiting this site and knowing that there are many people out there just as crazy as I am about my stamping. (my whole family thinks I'm nuts, except for my sister who got me started. She is now a SU demonstrator!)

Everyone have a great day and have FUN stamping!
Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 03:24 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that if a thread gets ugly enough that the moderators have to intervene more than once or twice to remind everyone to play nice, it should simply be locked and deleted. This is common practice on other (non-stamping) sites that I have frequented. Repeat offenders should be warned, and if they choose to inflame more than edify their memberships should be canceled. I know Daven said he didn't want to have to resort to this, but IMO that's what a moderator is for on an internet message board. I don't like that it has come to this, either, but this mess has the potential to get completely out of hand and I think if measures like this have to be taken often enough, things will eventually quiet back down on this board.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 03:37 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Dang, girl...I think I'm gonna have to hop on your bandwagon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 03:37 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Rachel, I completely agree!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
I think that if a thread gets ugly enough that the moderators have to intervene more than once or twice to remind everyone to play nice, it should simply be locked and deleted.... but IMO that's what a moderator is for on an internet message board.
It's just a partial quote but I agree 100% with your entire post. Recently I saw a thread that got ugly and the moderator said she had been asked by the thread starter to lock or delete the thread, I can't remember which. The moderator said she had a perfect record of never having done that and she didn't want to break her record. I was really surprised by this. What's more important, that record or keeping the board peaceful?

Please don't read my comments as flame starters. I left off names and details trying to keep to the issue of closing threads or not.

One (non craft) board I go to is VERY strict about keeping the peace. As soon as a topic heads south the moderator posts a statement like, "I think this discussion has gone far enough." Then poof, it's locked. They also are very quick to relocate threads that run astray in the wrong areas. I don't know that things need to be so strict but I wanted to mention that board just so I could say that the result is a peaceful board and no one seems to feel bullied by the moderators.

That's just my 2 cents worth.
Reply With Quote Likes