Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2004, 07:41 AM   #1  
Kec
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New problem saving photos!

For about a year, when I see a project or card on SCS that I like, I save it to my computer. How I do that is either right click on the picture and "Save As" or run the cursor over the top left corner of the photo and a little tool bar appears and I click on the save icon (a little disk picture). I usually just save it under whatever name someone gave it.

Just beginning yesterday when I attempt to save a photo, it does not transfer the name saved name of the photo (it says "untitled") and it does not allow me to save it as a .jpg: only a bitmap.

I went to other websites and the saving process works normally: I can save as a .jpg.

On the SCS website, when I right click on the photo and chose properties, it says that the name of the photo is "unknown" and the type of photo is unknown and the creation date is unknown. At other websites when I click on the properties, the saved name, type of photo and date of creation is available. It is almost like the SCS server is nor longer transmitting this information.

I am using the same computer that I have always used for the past year (a Dell Pentium 4 running Windows XP Home with MS Explorer version 6.0.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 07:56 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I've found that any time I run across that problem, rebooting my computer fixes it. Try that and see if your problem is resolved.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #3  
Kec
Rubber Obsessor

Yep, tried that first thing. No change. Daven are you out there? Is this a Split Coast phenom or is it my computer? Why is it only happening on the splitcoast site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 11:30 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sometimes have that problem, then realize I'm trying to save a thumbnail, not the larger image. :oops: I can do the rt click & save thing in the gallery, even when I tried just now. I normally just save to my favorites, though.

Wonder whassup with your computer not liking our stuff. . .

Anyone? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 12:00 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so glad you brought this up, Kec! I thought it was only me! I am having the exact same problem for the last 6 weeks or so. Actually, I think it started when SCS received it's latest upgrade. Or, at least that's when I noticed it. I have to manually type in the title and artist and I can only save it in the bitmap format - it's my only option. I went through every kind of window and tool and panel I could think of on my computer to see if I could fix it from my end. No Luck. I gave up and just resigned myself to lots of typing when I save it to any of my personal folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 09:39 PM   #6  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

hmm, I can't imagine anything on our end that would make a difference there. when you right-click and save an image that's strictly a client-side thing (in other words, your browser running on your computer) as far as I know. you might try a different browser and see if that makes any difference. I use FireFox on my Windows machine, and trying it just now had no problem saving as jpeg, and the default name was the name of the image.

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 09:45 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to have that problem, but I sure couldn't tell you what happened to fix it! Have your upgraded Explorer to Service Pack 2?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 10:03 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I have had this problem in the past, and it's actually a glitch in Windows (as per the Microsoft website.) When your computer will only save as a bitmap instead of a gif or jpg, it's because your temporary Internet files are full. I believe this only affects people who use IE - in which case, click on Tools at the top of your screen, then Internet Options. You'll see a window open, with three sections - the first is to reset your home page, the second is labeled Temporary Internet Files. Click the delete files button - this may take a while while it deletes. Fix a sandwich, play some Solitaire, and before you know it, you'll be saving ideas to your hard drive again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2004, 03:49 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

It worked!! Celticfish, you are a genius. I followed your instructions exactly and then I went straight to the gallery to see if I could save a photo in jpeg format and guess what - first one I tried and it worked perfectly! I am sooooo happy! You totally made my day!!! Thank you for sharing this information with me and all the rest of us who love our computers but don't really understand them!!! Kisses and Hugs!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2004, 05:46 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoohooo! An answer! Gotta love that! Thanks, celticfish!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2004, 06:22 AM   #11  
Kec
Rubber Obsessor

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! This worked beautifully! Who knew??? (well you knew...)

These kind of things ALWAYS perplex me. When your computer seems to change suddenly for no reason.

You made my day. Go forth knowing that you made someone breath a little easier today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2004, 06:26 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I wish I could take all the credit, but my brother's in college to become a software engineer, and I called him in a panic one day when I was working on a big project for a scrapping site - he's the one that sent me the link to the Microsoft page! Glad to know I was able to help.

Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes