Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-15-2004, 03:17 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAVEN....HELP

Hi Daven,

I tried PM'ing you but after I logged in to write it it asked me to log in again when I pushed send and it wouldn't accept my password again!

What do I do? DH says NO COOKIES because of privacy and if we allow them for your site it will do it for all so....I log in and out all the time (it really doesn't bother me)

Today I login w/ the password my name was reset to a few weeks back. A few minutes later I have to login again and this time it won't take my password. So I reset it. I start using that password and it decided that was no longer valid. HELP! I want to be able to log in but this password situation is making it a pain in the butt to come here!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 06:47 AM   #2  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

if you like we can reset your password to something different, but if trying to use the site with cookies disabled you're kind of in uncharted waters, so I'm afraid I don't have much good advice for you.

we hear from people every now and then who are cookie-averse, and I just don't quite understand it. cookies do not pose a significant security or privacy risk, and unfortunately the site just won't function properly without them.

here are a couple of links with more information about cookies and how they work:

http://www.netmag.co.uk/features/def...bsectionid=220

http://wp.netscape.com/legal_notices/cookies

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 09:29 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Daven,

I know how cookies work but since it is DH that I have to call every time my system is running slow, a page takes forever to load etc etc I have to do what he says.

What I don't get is HOW a cookie is related to a password??? It would store a password (which again I wouldn't want it to do because our systems are used by many people) but it shouldn't affect whether the password is being recognized.

For example:

If I reset my password today to 123 no matter when I put that password in and regardless of whether or not I am excepting cookies it should ALWAYS recognize that because that is the password that is being stored on your server (where ever it may be). So if I login 10 times today from 10 different locations it should always recognize my password (unless of course I type it in wrong LOL) and what I'm trying to figure out and understand is WHY this doesn't happen.

Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 01:15 AM   #4  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I don't get the perception either that people believe that cookies somehow slow down your system. this doesn't make any sense to me, though I certainly wouldn't claim to be the last word on the matter.

but there's no reason I know of that cookies would effect your page load time. a cookie file is merely a very small text file, and there's nothing real mysterious about it.

put yourself in the shoes of a programmer for just a minute. pretend that you want to keep track of the most recent visit to the site, for each user. by doing this we could, for example, display a little message that says 'your last visit was Dec. 14, 2004'. or something like 'this person has not visited for 59 days'. as the programmer, you could accomplish this by watching each login and storing the time and date each time someone visits. the 'where' to store it is a cookie file. so someone logs in, the system makes a note of it, and saves a tiny little file on my computer containing a date/time value of my visit. the next time I return, the system knows what little file to look for, and retrieves the date/time value that was stored. there's more to it than that of course, but that's the basics. because these files are so small, they can be saved and read very quickly and should not slow down the loading of pages.

our forum software does appear to store a password cookie on your machine, but it's encrypted (meaning jumbled up, and only the program that created it knows the key to unjumble it). I presume that this has something to do with allowing for automatic logins, though I don't know that for sure.

to your question about resetting your password, yes, any computer anywhere should recognize your password and allow you to login. that's because your password is stored permanently by the system itself. if you login 10 times today from 10 different locations then yes, it should always recognize your password.

the question I can't answer for you is what will happen if you don't have cookies enabled and try to login. I believe the ultimate answer is that the software relies on the ability to save and read these cookie files and won't function correctly (ie, remember who you are) without them.

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 02:50 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks Daven. Still don't understand why I'm having problems logging in consistantly with the same password. From my standpoint, and I run many websites that are password enabled, its an issue on your end. Don't have time to continuously deal with it though so we'll see. Would like to be more of a contributor on this site but just can't deal with the time it takes to deal with the password issues constantly KWIM?

Cookies are another issue that aren't related to the password issue (the only thing it does is to keep you logged in by remembering your password). Considering I can't log in from my BF house, my inlaws house or my parents with with consistancy (and my BF has no problem with your site as she is here a lot) and they accept cookies, I know Cookies aren't the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes