Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #121
Glitter Guru

I'm still a hater. I'm finding, for me, GS is just visually disturbing -- it has a cluttered look to it these days. I find myself avoiding the 1st page or heading to a different forum.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #122
Forum Fanatic

I want to thank SCS for moving the icon when it was originally requested, and I was happy to have them moved, but I still don't like them. Also, I'm not that crazy about the idea of putting them under the avatar and I don't like MC posting in the general forum. Can we see a mock up with the icons to the far left of the thread , next to the attachment coluums. The icon are easily visible but less in the direct line of sight. Just and idea....
Old 02-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #123
Stazon Splitcoast

I find it very annoying and go to the gf less than I use to.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #124
Compulsive Stamper

You'll have to mark me down as preferring the MC threads to be posted elsewhere. I don't like having them in the General Stamping forum, it's too distracting and I feel like I'm having the companies forced on me. I really hope you end up putting them back where they were. Thanks for trying, though.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #125
CBC Lady Violet

I'm really finding the icons to be very visually distracting. So much so, that I'm either avoiding GST altogether or skipping directly to page two. If the MC thread MUST be in GST, then I think the threads should be stamping related (no threads about books, lunch etc.). If the icons need to stay, then I MUCH prefer the mock-up in post #54 than the current look.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #126
Stamping is a Hoot!

I love that that the MC's threads are now in General Stamping ... I don't get time to check out all the MC forums so it is good to be able to see some of the posts when I go into the GS forum ... if it interests me I will open it in a new tab to read if not I won't as with any post in the forum.

I must admit visually I did like the idea that was given in #54 of this thread ... but whatever the admin comes up with I will be happy ... for me this is still the best stamping related web site out there.

I Design for Elizabeth Craft Designs and Karen Burniston
Old 02-02-2009, 05:09 AM   #127
Pearl-ExPert

they still bug me, especially the ones that have ZERO relevance to the company or its stamps. asking about when something will be released is bad enough, but a Happy birthday post belongs in 'Other stuff' if anywhere other than MC Forum.

I find the ads on top to be more than sufficient in keeping us abreast of what each company is offering/doing. and more than once I have clicked there to get more info and perused the MC forum.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #128
Rubber Obsessor

I don't care for them either, If the icon is there I skip right over that post.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #129
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I thought I could just look past them, but find myself looking else at other thread to avoid them.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #130
Stampin' Fool

This post refers to the following thread started by me over on the GS Forum:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=416244

I LOVE the mock-up version of them in the far left-hand column. I'm with JulieHRR on the visual thing. I'm VERY linear.

I'm not saying that I think the MCs ought to be relegated to ONLY their specific forums, I just don't like that it's so "spam like". I could go to each MC Forum and post a new thread each day just to get the MC's icon on the first page of the GS Forum. See what I mean about "spamming"? Not that the MC's or those SCS members that post regularly in the MC's Forums are DOING that...it just APPEARS to be that way.

I would love to see the icons placed elsewhere. I also think that the Stamping Bella icon gets lost because of the background color of the thread title. Em COULD change her icon, but the column that the icons are in could also be the "grey" color that our avatars (<--------look to your left!) are in.

Just a few thoughts...this will also be posted in Daven's specific thread as well!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #131
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I know that technologically it is easy to add the feeds and difficult to limit the feeds. But I agree with others who object to the MC feeds to General Stamping that really aren't General Stamping. If a member's thread is posted in the incorrect forum and is moved by a moderator, then a feed from a MC should have the same criteria applied.

I was under the impression that originally the only people who could START a thread in the MC forums was the MC. That seems to have changed...am I right?

How about having some kind of "filtering" mechanism where the MC *requests* a thread to be on a feed to General Stamping and you *approve* or *disapprove* it. Or you go through the MC threads as they are created and *allow* certain threads to feed to General Stamping. I know it is labor intensive, but the stuff that belongs in CE or Books or Challenges belongs there, not in General Stamping.

My .02 worth.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:50 AM   #132
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

just my .02...on the icons, they are visually challenging to me! Perhaps they could be moved to the avatar, still prominent, but not SO IN YOUR FACE in the main body of the threads...

thanks for listening...love this place!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #133
Stazon Splitcoast

Default MC Sticky threads do not act "sticky" in the General forum.

Another issue to consider... The earlier Sticky threads have been un-stuck from the General forum during this test period. But now we have Sticky threads coming in from the MC forums, and those keep their "Sticky" labels even though they don't stay at the top of the list. From the user interface perspective, that should be avoided because it's inconsistent. The user expects a Sticky thread to stick at the top.

If you're going to include MC Sticky threads in the feeds, then the "Sticky:" label should be removed from them when they appear in the General forum's index.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #134
SCS Founder

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
Another issue to consider... The earlier Sticky threads have been un-stuck from the General forum during this test period. But now we have Sticky threads coming in from the MC forums, and those keep their "Sticky" labels even though they don't stay at the top of the list. From the user interface perspective, that should be avoided because it's inconsistent. The user expects a Sticky thread to stick at the top.

If you're going to include MC Sticky threads in the feeds, then the "Sticky:" label should be removed from them when they appear in the General forum's index.
MC sticky threads should not be included in the General Stamping forum. we'll get that fixed.

Needs a sig
Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #135
Stazon Splitcoast

Great! Thanks for the speedy reply, Daven.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #136
Kookie Creator

My 2 cents:

I like Julie's mock-up with the icons to the far left. Since you read left to right, it makes it easy to decide if you want to keep reading or skip to the next line.

The MC pay BIG money for their spots on SCS. However, many people new to the site or not familiar with surfing the web may not know that you can click on their icon and be taken to the company's forum. Those forums contain more challenges, more tips, more creative information in addition to the GS forum. I think it's a good tool to help people see that there is more to SCS than the GS questions/answers, etc.

It is also interesting to note that some of the haters here get FREE advertising for their SU, TAC, CTMH, etc. business or their personal blogs - as evidenced in their signature lines. They can be contacted through that free advertising and possibly make some money. They answer questions about their products, talk about sales, encourage new demos, etc. - free. (Don't flame me on that as I know you demos are NOT getting rich on your sales LOL!)

I don't mind the MC threads. I can just as easily choose not to click on an MC thread as I do any other thread that does not interest me. One suggestion I have is that I would like to see the member companies choosing the threads that get posted to GS to help cut down on the "chit-chat" that doesn't belong.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #137
Kookie Creator

One more comment - it would be nice if the MC threads could have brief titles. One that is on right now (Stamps February Release-Thursday February 5th 9 p.m. est Sneak Peeks start here) takes up way too much room and thus means less room for other threads on the first page.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #138
Die Cut Diva

There are 6 MC's right? So maybe have 6 "sticky" posts at the top, one for each MC. You can then "feed" different posts to those slots.

That way I can ignore and skip right over them, like I do with most stickies, and not have them mixed in with the regular posts.

The MC still get prime exposure on the GS board, but I and others can ignore them more easily. Good compromise???
Old 02-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #139
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I posted this in the other thread in the GS forum, but how about adding a sub-forum to the GS for MC feeds to go into? I don't even know if that's possible, just spouting off an idear
In the different forums on SCS there are "Sub-Forums" at the top of the page. It would be really cool to see the MC threads in a "Sub-Forum" at the top that the top active threads in MC forums are streamed into instead of right into the GS forum...I would LOVE that idea, seems like something like that would make everyone happy.
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #140
Die Cut Diva

Default me too...add me to this "list"

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyDollView Post
This post refers to the following thread started by me over on the GS Forum:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=416244

I LOVE the mock-up version of them in the far left-hand column. I'm with JulieHRR on the visual thing. I'm VERY linear.

I'm not saying that I think the MCs ought to be relegated to ONLY their specific forums, I just don't like that it's so "spam like". I could go to each MC Forum and post a new thread each day just to get the MC's icon on the first page of the GS Forum. See what I mean about "spamming"? Not that the MC's or those SCS members that post regularly in the MC's Forums are DOING that...it just APPEARS to be that way.

I would love to see the icons placed elsewhere. I also think that the Stamping Bella icon gets lost because of the background color of the thread title. Em COULD change her icon, but the column that the icons are in could also be the "grey" color that our avatars (<--------look to your left!) are in.

Just a few thoughts...this will also be posted in Daven's specific thread as well!
ditto..

Old 02-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #141
Pearl-ExPert

I do not like having the Member Company feeds in the GS forum either, especially the ones that have nothing to do with stamping. I feel that we now have advertising mixed in with the forums. I do like the Member Companies but if I want to read about them I can go to the Member Company forum. I just skip over them in General Stamping and find that because I am annoyed I am less likely to be interested in their products, just silly I know.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #142
Rubber Obsessor

Default MC Icons

Davern, like many other posters, I find the MC icons in the general stamping forum very distracting, very. And like other posters, I followed a few MC threads on several posts only to find that the topic in the MC forum was not general stamping news, but more "chit-chat" specific only to that MC. Therefore, if the intention in putting MC icons on posting was to give the MC more exposure, the effort has been unsuccessful. Please allow general stamping news to be the educational vehicle that it was intended to be.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #143
SCS Founder

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
There are 6 MC's right? So maybe have 6 "sticky" posts at the top, one for each MC. You can then "feed" different posts to those slots.

That way I can ignore and skip right over them, like I do with most stickies, and not have them mixed in with the regular posts.

The MC still get prime exposure on the GS board, but I and others can ignore them more easily. Good compromise???
there are 10 member companies, and having that many stickies up top would be too much clutter I think, on top of our occasional need for "real" stickies (we just cleaned them all out the other day, so there are none there now).

right now there are a maximum of 6 member company threads that show on the first page, so using stickies would actually increase the number of MC threads, not decrease them. also, the goal was to integrate their threads here and give you additional stuff you might be interested in. stickies doesn't really accomplish that.

at any rate, we're continuing to read all your feedback, so thanks. here's what we're actively considering/working on:

- giving you the ability to turn off member company threads if you'd rather not see them
- moving MC badges to the thread status (little boxes) column
- removing MC stickies from the feed
- giving member companies the ability to specify individual threads that aren't appropriate for general stamping (they don't want to subject you to chatty or other threads that aren't directly stamping related)

Needs a sig
Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #144
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitcoaststampersView Post
there are 10 member companies, and having that many stickies up top would be too much clutter I think, on top of our occasional need for "real" stickies (we just cleaned them all out the other day, so there are none there now).

right now there are a maximum of 6 member company threads that show on the first page, so using stickies would actually increase the number of MC threads, not decrease them. also, the goal was to integrate their threads here and give you additional stuff you might be interested in. stickies doesn't really accomplish that.

at any rate, we're continuing to read all your feedback, so thanks. here's what we're actively considering/working on:

- giving you the ability to turn off member company threads if you'd rather not see them
- giving member companies the ability to specify individual threads that aren't appropriate for general stamping (they don't want to subject you to chatty or other threads that aren't directly stamping related)
You ROCK! Thank you so much for listen to all of us, even when we gripe and moan.

And can I say that I actually LIKE the ads at the top and the bottom of the forums??? When I'm in the mood to shop, I check them out first to see what's up where. Could you give MCs ad time there instead?

I'm no marketing major (I'm an engineer LOL~); I'm just trying to dream up things that could work to achieve everyone's goals.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #145
Mad Swapper

I like having the stamping threads from the MC's in general stamping, I'm sure Daven et. al. are working to see if there is a way they can weed out the non-stamping ones.

But I think it would be great visually if the icons could be lined up like in the various examples Judi (scs name: Crafts) has posted.

ETA: Silly me...should have read all the way to the end before posting.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #146
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

that will probably make the people who strongly dislike it happy!
thanks Daven!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Old 02-04-2009, 05:19 AM   #147
Die Cut Diva

Well, as much as it pains me to say this, I think mixing the MCs into the GS will accomplish what you set out to do.

I had no interest in finding anything else to spend my money on, so I stayed out of the MC forums. But I couldn't resist checking out Sugar Nellie after seeing the logo SO many times in GS. And now I'm saving my pennies to place an order, they are SO CUTE!!!

I get my Bellas, and GinaK stamps from my LSS, but I've never seen Sugar Nellies there, so I'll be ordering soon.

BAH! Now not only am I going to be more broke, I'm going to be a broke hypocrit!!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:14 AM   #148
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I really love the addition of the MC in general stamping. It would be great if I had time to come and browse everything here but life just doesn't allow that. I miss so much! At least now I get a snippet of what's happening all over SCS. I'm more of a 'one stop shopping' kinda gal!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #149
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I think these ideas are great. At first I didn't think I would ever follow the MC thread, but now I find that I do. I definately like the idea of moving the badges to the thread status. I saw the mock up of this and found it much more appealing.